Steel Shaft in a Hybrid?

tacotruck

Reaction score
Handicap
I was talking to the folks at Cleveland Golf and they said the hybrids (3-5) that come with the Mashie iron set can be ordered individually for about $75 with the stock graphite shaft. For a $6 up charge, they could replace the stock Actionlite 65 graphite shaft with a Dynamic Gold X100. $81 for a Mashie seems like a steal so it got me thinking about getting a steel shafted Mashie or two as direct long irons replacements, kind of like the Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi.

What are the pros and cons of having a steel shaft in a hybrid? Is there any benefit to having the same shaft in your irons and hybrids?

Well, first, it would not really be the same Mashie as you are playing right now. With the Mashie you are playing now, you are getting a high end aftermarket shaft as standard. The head on the Mashie in the set is similar, but also not the same as you are playing now. Close, but there are subtle differences.

I play two of the same hybrids one with graphite in the 3 and one with steel in the 4. I love having both of them. The iron shafted hybrids play more like an iron just much more forgiving and the graphite hybrids play a little more like a fairway wood. At least for me!

I have played various hybrids with steel shafts for several years but started out with a couple of graphite shafted hybrids. If you are looking at them as iron replacements then I would go with steel.

I've got a steel shaft in mine and love it. I don't know that it makes it play in more or less like an iron for me though.

Well, first, it would not really be the same Mashie as you are playing right now. With the Mashie you are playing now, you are getting a high end aftermarket shaft as standard. The head on the Mashie in the set is similar, but also not the same as you are playing now. Close, but there are subtle differences.

I know the new Mashie, particularly the new Mashies that come with the Mashie irons, are different from what I currently play. The new Mashies that come with the iron set have updated glide rails, less offset, no top line, and are stronger lofted. I was more wondering about the performance and feel of a high end steel shaft (if the Dynamic Gold counts as a high end steel shaft) verses a high end aftermarket graphite shaft in a hybrid.

By using a steel shaft in a hybrid, do you lose anything in terms of feel or distance? If so, do the gains in accuracy and consistency make up for any loss in distance or feel?

Would certain steel shafts be better suited for use in a hybrid? Given how heavy and low launching the Dynamic Gold shaft is, would a lighter, higher launching shaft like the True Temper GS95 or KBS Hybrid be a better choice?

I play two of the same hybrids one with graphite in the 3 and one with steel in the 4. I love having both of them. The iron shafted hybrids play more like an iron just much more forgiving and the graphite hybrids play a little more like a fairway wood. At least for me!

Very cool. Which steel shaft did you decide to go with in your 4 hybrid and why? How does the steel shaft affect the ball flight and performance?

Feel and distance would really be a personal thing. I get more distance out of my graphite shafted hybrids.
I also dont think there is less offset in the Mashie hybrids that come with the iron set. Looking at them, there appears to be just as much.

Feel and distance would really be a personal thing. I get more distance out of my graphite shafted hybrids.
I also dont think there is less offset in the Mashie hybrids that come with the iron set. Looking at them, there appears to be just as much.

I see. You're probably right. I've never seen the new version and was just going off what the guys at Cleveland told me.

Was your shot dispersion and consistency better with a steel or graphite? I ask because the big selling point of the steel KBS Hybrid shaft is better consistency and shot dispersion than graphite.

"The KBS Hybrid shaft is a logical selection for players looking to improve their hybrid performance versus commonly used graphite. By selecting steel, players eliminate the multi-material design and competing properties found in graphite allowing more consistency shot to shot. Designed to enhance ball dispersion and shot control, the KBS Hybrid maximizes energy transfer with our signature MOI-based design. Switch to steel and benefit tremendously from making the right choice."

If you look at my signature, you will see that I have steel shafts in my 3H and my 3W. I have the 6.0 Rifles in my irons, but opted for the 6.5 in the hybrid and 3W, figuring I swing them at a higher speed - neither is a club I make "smooth" or "80%" swings with. I have never found graphite shafts for these clubs that I felt consistent with - I am sure they exist but I haven't found them.

If you look at my signature, you will see that I have steel shafts in my 3H and my 3W. I have the 6.0 Rifles in my irons, but opted for the 6.5 in the hybrid and 3W, figuring I swing them at a higher speed - neither is a club I make "smooth" or "80%" swings with. I have never found graphite shafts for these clubs that I felt consistent with - I am sure they exist but I haven't found them.

Interesting. Did you find that you lost any distance by using steel over graphite? Did using the same model shaft in your woods and irons, albeit with different flexes, help with your consistency?

I really think it depends on whether you are aiming for an iron feel or a wood feel. They do make half and half shafts now for the best of both worlds :)

The distance I can only attest to with the 3W - it was pretty much the same with either shaft. I really have always had the difficulty with the graphite shafts off the deck rather than off a tee. I think it is because I hit down into the ball off the deck and I just never found a graphite shaft that had the consistent contact of steel off the deck. The 3H with steel is the only hybrid I have had - and I am not looking to change away from it because it has been a consistent performer. Incidently, it also works well as a chipper around the greens, though I don't use that shot very often.

I see. You're probably right. I've never seen the new version and was just going off what the guys at Cleveland told me.

Was your shot dispersion and consistency better with a steel or graphite? I ask because the big selling point of the steel KBS Hybrid shaft is better consistency and shot dispersion than graphite.

"The KBS Hybrid shaft is a logical selection for players looking to improve their hybrid performance versus commonly used graphite. By selecting steel, players eliminate the multi-material design and competing properties found in graphite allowing more consistency shot to shot. Designed to enhance ball dispersion and shot control, the KBS Hybrid maximizes energy transfer with our signature MOI-based design. Switch to steel and benefit tremendously from making the right choice."

I like the KBS hybrid shaft quite a bit, but it was no contest for me really as the C. Kua shaft I have said for a while is the best hybrid shaft I have ever used. Both for distance and consistency. Its probably my favorite club in the bag and its not going anywhere anytime soon.

I always thought it would be a good idea to have a hybrid with a shaft that matches your irons if you are replacing an iron. Steel shafts in hybrids are hard to find in most golf stores.

Reading this reminds me of when I started playing golf. All my shafts were S200s from driver to putter. Thinking back I recall a very consistent feel on all my shots. I miss it. My current setup sports 4 different shaft types. Not sure how that helps me.

I always thought it would be a good idea to have a hybrid with a shaft that matches your irons if you are replacing an iron. Steel shafts in hybrids are hard to find in most golf stores.

I was thinking the same thing. While I love my 2011 Mashie with the C.Kua shaft, there's such a huge difference in feel and ball flight between my Mashie and my irons that it makes consistency kind of hard.

Reading this reminds me of when I started playing golf. All my shafts were S200s from driver to putter. Thinking back I recall a very consistent feel on all my shots. I miss it. My current setup sports 4 different shaft types. Not sure how that helps me.

I hear you. I have KBS Tour in my 53° and 58° wedge, Dynalite Gold XP in my 47° wedge, Dynamic Gold in my irons, C.Kua in my hybrid, and Matrix HD6 in my driver. Even when I switch between my wedges and irons I notice a difference in feel and I think you're right in saying that it makes consistency more difficult.

For my next set of clubs, I'm seriously considering going with one shaft for every club other than my driver and putter. According to the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, the Dynamic Gold X100 and KBS Tour XS are the best shafts for my swing so I think it's worth a shot playing one of those shafts 3-hybrid through lob wedge.

I have graphite shafts in my hybrids. The only two possible differences I can see other than the difference the shaft performance is designed for is weight and torque. You can get heavier graphite shafts but most people don't because of cost and thats why most people go with graphite shafts (weight). The torque issue is probably why you like the steel shaft better. Steel is lower torque. Just my opinion.

I think the mizuno shaft optimizer is a very good start but I would get a shaft put in a current club and try it a couple of rounds or at the range if you are not currently using that shaft.

I had two steel shaft in my past hybrids one was a cleveland halo and a wilson staff. I know the heads and tech are a little different in my new hybrids with graphite but what I found was a lot lower launch and I had a hard time with consistancy with the steel. It's not a bad option but from what I read the mashie shaft is no joke I dont know why you would want to change that. Try hitting one at a store before you make any decision.

Still pondering this. Conrad at KBS recommended the Tour 90 in stiff for me. Its a great ponder cause I mean for me I hear distance with hybrid. I dont see a hybrid as a distance club.

Im looking forward to your feedback Franklin if you go with it.

Still pondering this. Conrad at KBS recommended the Tour 90 in stiff for me. Its a great ponder cause I mean for me I hear distance with hybrid. I dont see a hybrid as a distance club.

I've always been a big fan of steel in a hybo. I're really curious to hear your thoughts with the 90 in one, thats a heck of idea/thought right there.

I've always been a big fan of steel in a hybo. I're really curious to hear your thoughts with the 90 in one, thats a heck of idea/thought right there.

Im gonna try it. Worst case if I dont like it I pull it out and put the one to go with my woods in it. I think I will ike it though. I really like the feel of the ones in my irons and I hit these irons better than any before.

I do not play hybrids but think you would lose some distance in trade for better dispersion!?!

Back