Callaway RAZR X Black Driver

thanks Im thinking of buying a set of Callaway clubs, when i have cash to burn :p

They certainly make some good equipment. I was lucky enough to be sponsored by callaway in the 2011 morgan cup.

sorry I am new to this site, what is the Morgan Cup ?

sorry I am new to this site, what is the Morgan Cup ?

Welcome to THP.

If I was on my comp I could link you to it. Its an amateur event this year involving 24 golfers. sponsors this year are bridgestone, callaway, and cleveland. Each company sponsors 8 players. If you do a search you will be able to find a ton of info on it.

Is there a tour model?

Tappin!

I have not seen any info about a tour model yet, but I'm sure we will find out this week at the PGA Show if there is one.

I haven't had a chance to get out and hit this yet, sorry I've been busy with work and stupid stuff like that. I do have a bit of a rant though, is it just me or is this driver similar to that drunk uncle that is part of the family but nobody really talks about and everyone hopes that he'll just leave? I haven't heard a PEEP about this driver in the PGA Show coverage, on any hot lists or on anyone's mind at all. WTF? I think it has a great look and feel and I really can't wait to get out and hit it to see what the deal is. It annoys me that nobody is talking about it, why is that?

maybe you need to come East my friend and we can do another dueling review of these crazy uncles a la the Machspeed Black review we did?

I haven't had a chance to get out and hit this yet, sorry I've been busy with work and stupid stuff like that. I do have a bit of a rant though, is it just me or is this driver similar to that drunk uncle that is part of the family but nobody really talks about and everyone hopes that he'll just leave? I haven't heard a PEEP about this driver in the PGA Show coverage, on any hot lists or on anyone's mind at all. WTF? I think it has a great look and feel and I really can't wait to get out and hit it to see what the deal is. It annoys me that nobody is talking about it, why is that?

maybe you need to come East my friend and we can do another dueling review of these crazy uncles a la the Machspeed Black review we did?
We almost got fired for that one. Ha!

While I would love to come East I am afraid I'm pretty well stuck here for a while.

I did get a hold of the golf shop and for $25/hour I can go in with my own clubs and get on their launch monitor/simulator so I'm going to go in and go HAM on some Razr Hawk vs. Razr X Black testing for you guys. I know the price tag on the Black is less so maybe everyone immediately dismisses it like it's a 2nd rate driver....I don't know if it is or not but I'm sure as hell going to find out.

Ummmm....yeah. never mind lol

I'm interested on your thoughts P4THPtester.....both of these are obviously in play for my MC bag

While I would love to come East I am afraid I'm pretty well stuck here for a while.

I did get a hold of the golf shop and for $25/hour I can go in with my own clubs and get on their launch monitor/simulator so I'm going to go in and go HAM on some Razr Hawk vs. Razr X Black testing for you guys. I know the price tag on the Black is less so maybe everyone immediately dismisses it like it's a 2nd rate driver....I don't know if it is or not but I'm sure as hell going to find out.

At least I don't....sane thing with the Burner Superfast 2.0 vs the R11 - two totally different drivers, but people get good performance from both. Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

I'll be honest... it's for this reason that I'm interested in purchasing this driver. It is more affordable than $400 and change. I would like to have the adjustability but I am a believer in the KISS theory. Especially with having to shell out money for entry fees playing these tournaments. With taxes that one driver is more than two entry fees. At this stage of my career money is a real factor.

Alex

Ummmm....yeah. never mind lol

I'm interested on your thoughts P4THPtester.....both of these are obviously in play for my MC bag

Ditto on what Banks said :D

I'll be honest... it's for this reason that I'm interested in purchasing this driver. It is more affordable than $400 and change. I would like to have the adjustability but I am a believer in the KISS theory. Especially with having to shell out money for entry fees playing these tournaments. With taxes that one driver is more than two entry fees. At this stage of my career money is a real factor.

Alex
Yeah exactly. I just can't believe how little exposure or press this driver is getting. I hope it rocks, I really do. I can't wait to bomb a more affordable driver past dudes who looked right beyond this one and got the Razr Fit instead. (Only to never adjust a thing!)

don't hate, appreciate!

Yeah exactly. I just can't believe how little exposure or press this driver is getting. I hope it rocks, I really do. I can't wait to bomb a more affordable driver past dudes who looked right beyond this one and got the Razr Fit instead. (Only to never adjust a thing!)[/QUOTE]

Yeah exactly. I just can't believe how little exposure or press this driver is getting. I hope it rocks, I really do. I can't wait to bomb a more affordable driver past dudes who looked right beyond this one and got the Razr Fit instead. (Only to never adjust a thing!)

Stock offerings, without making any adjustments, I thought this club was longer.

Stock offerings, without making any adjustments, I thought this club was longer.

I would agree with you with one caveat. I didn't get to play the stock stiff Fit offering. I played the regular flex. The Black was nice though man and for $250 it's the best value out there IMO

I would agree with you with one caveat. I didn't get to play the stock stiff Fit offering. I played the regular flex. The Black was nice though man and for $250 it's the best value out there IMO

True...which could have also led to some of your high shots that you saw.

I was FINALLY able to get this driver out for some testing today. My first thought was, damn what have I been missing?! I took it to the golf shop where I was supposed to be able to get on the launch monitor for an hour. I was really excited about the chance to get some launch numbers compared to the Razr Hawk but low and behold I was bumped from the LM and had to use the simulator bay that only gave me distance. Not the worst thing, at least I still got to hit it. For my inconvenience they're giving me an hour free next week so that's sweet.

I warmed up a lot before hitting the Razr X Black and the very first thing that I noticed just how much of a draw bias it seems to have at address. I don't mind it, it's the open faces that tend to cause me issues so this didn't really bother me. I love the look of the crown with the graphic forged composite thing going on. It's light, but it's not too light where it starts feeling unstable. The sound is something I'm really loving out of the newer forged composite Callaway drivers, a nice click that was more like a pretty loud thwack inside. People could definitely tell when I hit it solid which was more times than not. On the simulator I was on I was not skying the ball like I thought I would initially with it, it was higher but it was pretty good trajectory, looking forward to getting launch angle numbers next week. If I had to guess I'd say it was in that 13 to maybe 14 range. Higher yes but not too bad.

I was seeing some nice distance out of it, most of the shots I hit were out in the 265 range, I knocked one 285 but also had a couple that were about 235 on those off center shots. My shots were going pretty straight, I had developed a very pronounced push fade but I didn't hit anything that missed right with this. I've been working on it getting rid of that shot and today the balls were going pretty straight. While I felt like everything was going to come off as a hook or big draw it just didn't happen. That was very nice and while I didn't get launch numbers I'm still very happy that I got to go hit it.

For a driver that is going to be available for $249 this thing is solid. The shaft seemed to hold up fine, I will say that I saw the best combination of distance and trajectory with a nice smooth swing where I didn't try to murder the ball. Those are swings I should be taking anyway so I'm ok with that result. Next week I'll have much more detailed information and will experiment with different swings to see what the numbers do.

I mentioned how the lack of love for this driver is annoying to me and I'm hoping that people aren't sleeping on this thing, it's going to be a solid option for a lot of people.

Great info Jake! This driver is probably being overlooked by many with all the Razr Fit, RBZ, and VRS hype. 235 is pretty darn good on a miss. 285 is really getting it out there.

Sounds like a very solid offering especially given the price point.

Tappin' from the iPhone!

Great info Jake! This driver is probably being overlooked by many with all the Razr Fit, RBZ, and VRS hype. 235 is pretty darn good on a miss. 285 is really getting it out there.

Sounds like a very solid offering especially given the price point.

Tappin' from the iPhone!
Thanks Cookie and yeah I think you're right about the hype of other drivers just overshadowing this one. I'm guessing once it's in stores and sitting next to a driver that'll be what, probably $150 more people will grab this and give it a shot.

That's a great mini write up Jake! I haven't seen this in store yet, but truth be told, I haven't been looking for it either. That is a very attractive price. I haven't had the chance to hit many Callaway clubs, seems like it's time I change that!

That's a great mini write up Jake! I haven't seen this in store yet, but truth be told, I haven't been looking for it either. That is a very attractive price. I haven't had the chance to hit many Callaway clubs, seems like it's time I change that!
You won't see it in stores until March I believe. But yeah once it does check it out. Stay tuned for more here as well.

Thanks for the info Jake. Coincidentally, I am pondering between this and the Fit.

You won't see it in stores until March I believe. But yeah once it does check it out. Stay tuned for more here as well.

I thought that I heard they were out.... my bad!

Back