TaylorMade Releases R11S Driver Preview

I hit this one yesterday at PGA Superstore. They only had a regular flex shaft in it and noone would change it lol. But it was a RIP Phenom and was quite stout. Anyway, it was long when hit on the screws. Even with that shaft. The feel and sound imo, was not something I enjoyed. While the original R11 had a nice crush to it on good hits, this one sounded and felt more like a tin can. I did hit this driver the longest out of the 3 I hit but it was only once and the rest of the drives were all over the place. Again most likely the regular shaft had a huge impact on numbers (and the machine was way off on spin I think), but the feel/sound would've been the same no matter what shaft was in there. I was pretty disappointed. I'm going to give it way more time though. I want this one to work so bad lol.

I hit this one yesterday at PGA Superstore. They only had a regular flex shaft in it and noone would change it lol. But it was a RIP Phenom and was quite stout. Anyway, it was long when hit on the screws. Even with that shaft. The feel and sound imo, was not something I enjoyed. While the original R11 had a nice crush to it on good hits, this one sounded and felt more like a tin can. I did hit this driver the longest out of the 3 I hit but it was only once and the rest of the drives were all over the place. Again most likely the regular shaft had a huge impact on numbers (and the machine was way off on spin I think), but the feel/sound would've been the same no matter what shaft was in there. I was pretty disappointed. I'm going to give it way more time though. I want this one to work so bad lol.

hahaha, I don't know why, but this post is perfect Tmex:

"well, they only had regular flex, the machines were busted, and I hit it once. It was meh, and I want it to work so bad!"

Dude, go back when there's a stiff flexer and take a few more swings. Although that won't change the sound thing.

What were the other parties involved?

hahaha, I don't know why, but this post is perfect Tmex:

"well, they only had regular flex, the machines were busted, and I hit it once. It was meh, and I want it to work so bad!"

Dude, go back when there's a stiff flexer and take a few more swings. Although that won't change the sound thing.

Lol dude I hit it about 20x. Even with bronchitis! It was a big letdown. I liked the R11 quite a bit and was hoping this was a more forgiving model. The Machine was right on with distance but completely off on spin and launch angle. It felt and sounded like a more tin can version of the Dymo Straight Fit Square.

What were the other parties involved?

Cleveland Classic and Rocketballz Tour Driver.

Great write up indeed! Makes me even more eager to get fit for one!

What shaft flex do you have (out of curiosity)?

Taptaptap!

Stiff flex for me. The real reason I was surprised this shaft was at least acceptably stout was the paltry 60g it came in at.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

To be honest, I think its a great driver and will be a very good driver for a lot of fellow sheep but Im not sure its the best driver for Kmac.

lol @ fellow sheep

Well mine should be here today any minute now. Just waiting for that beautiful brown truck to pull up lol. Colt glad it worked out, im even more excited now as I played the D2 and loved it.

Well mine should be here today any minute now. Just waiting for that beautiful brown truck to pull up lol. Colt glad it worked out, im even more excited now as I played the D2 and loved it.

Looking forward to hearing your verdict!

10yard, if you love the D2 then you'll probably split the fence on this one. It's a great driver, don't get me wrong. But it's so totally different in so many ways. Lower pitched "tin can" sound as some have said. Looks wise the D2 is like James Bond. The tech is there, but hidden in a sleek, toned down, classic package. The R11S is just the opposite; a loud obnoxious "look at me, I'm the cool kid" kind of driver. Only this time the cool kid is easier to get along with.

The D2 has that hot and springy kind of face with a louder, more high pitched sound. While the R11S face is hot, it's more like a wrecking ball kind of feel with a low to mid pitched "tin can" sound as others described it.

Another thing, and I mentioned this in an earlier post. If you've enjoyed gaming the D2 then you're definitely gonna feel uncomfortable over that nearly 46" club. I don't know why, but 1" feels like a mile when your standing over the ball.

In the end results are what matter. The new TMAG offering doesn't disappoint in that area.

I hit the R11s last night at the GG event. I was pretty impressed with the driver. It had the stiff phenom shaft in it which I quite liked. Significantly more forgiving than the original R11 in my short experience with it. The sound is definitely a higher pitched "ping" than the original R11... but I could live with that. I only hit this and an RBZ driver. The longest drives I hit were with the R11s even though I was getting about 3 mph more SS with the lighter RBZ. (avg of 115 versus 118) I think the shaft is the reason the R11s performed better for me. I'd like to try the RBZ with a better shaft before I make a final verdict but so far I'd say the R11s is the better fit for me.

I would think the R11s would be an even better driver without that stupid sole plate "technology". Wasted weight that could almost certainly be repositioned to improve performance.

I just can't get over the sound and feel of this thing. The more I think about it, the more it makes not like it.

Its here and first impressions of the looks and feel are phenomenal! The shaft feels great, not whippy at all and feels like a pretty stout stiff which I like. Hopefully I can get to the range and hit a couple balls with it, I will throw up pics this afternoon. I will probably chop it down to 45" since I play all my drivers at that length usually but I want to hit it first.

I just can't get over the sound and feel of this thing. The more I think about it, the more it makes not like it.

Everyone perceives "feel" differently, understandably. What is it about this one that makes you not like it? Any description of how you perceive the feel off the face of this one would be welcome. I'm interested because I like the way this one feels like its pounding the ball with a brute force type of contact rather than a springy, trampoline effect type of contact feel.

Everyone perceives "feel" differently, understandably. What is it about this one that makes you not like it? Any description of how you perceive the feel off the face of this one would be welcome. I'm interested because I like the way this one feels like its pounding the ball with a brute force type of contact rather than a springy, trampoline effect type of contact feel.

Yeah for sure man. The original R11 sounded and felt a bit more crisp off the face. Still some echo but with this one, it sounded and felt like I was hitting out of a coffee can. It's loud and obnoxious.

Yeah for sure man. The original R11 sounded and felt a bit more crisp off the face. Still some echo but with this one, it sounded and felt like I was hitting out of a coffee can. It's loud and obnoxious.

I do agree. Is real loud. Reminds me of the Z-Star driver but just a little more hollow and less reverberating.

Just went out and hit the R11S. The stock Phenom shaft is pretty good, but launch numbers are a little too high for me.
When I tested it with my normal shaft (RIP a 70X) I was averaging 5 more yards of carry than my R11. The ball flight was also
a little flatter and produced more roll. I can see why some people won't like the sound, but I think the feeling at impact more than makes up for it.

I plan on taking it out for a couple rounds this weekend and comparing it to the R11...more to come.

I do agree. Is real loud. Reminds me of the Z-Star driver but just a little more hollow and less reverberating.

I hit them both side by side and the ZStar had more crush to it. It's definitely more hollow. If you have a chance to hit them both in a bay, you should. It's quite a difference. But like you said everyone is gonna have a different opinion on it.

i got a chance to get on the course today with my r11, was difficult as it was below 40 and the ground was rock hard and i could not get a tee in the ground so i had to use winter tees which tee the ball lower than i am used to. However with one drive i managed to clear a ditch which i could not get over with my other drivers by more than 20 yards. I did loose the ball flight in the sun so i dont know if i carried the ditch or it bounced over.

Just wanted to add some more pics, love the looks of this driver!
R11s.jpg

R11sface.jpg

R11ssole.jpg

R11sripphenom.jpg

R11scrown.jpg

I really didn't have any issue with the sound. Find it odd that some do but I can see it. What I really liked about this driver is it went straight for me. Really straight like every shot. Just not real far but that is usual for me in the simulator. I think dialed in with the right shaft and settings it would be good.

Beast mode from tapatalk

This was one hell of a great driver. I'd easily rate it;s overall feel at 10/10. The shaft was the best stock shaft I've ever hit. Huge improvement over the Blur. This was the second longest of the day for me, behind the G20. The forgiveness was superb and there were so many choices to adjust it to that anyone could find a suitable config. Great driver, I highly recommend giving it a try.

This was one hell of a great driver. I'd easily rate it;s overall feel at 10/10. The shaft was the best stock shaft I've ever hit. Huge improvement over the Blur. This was the second longest of the day for me, behind the G20. The forgiveness was superb and there were so many choices to adjust it to that anyone could find a suitable config. Great driver, I highly recommend giving it a try.

Thats what I like to hear! I wasnt able to get to the range today but hopefully soon.

I know they had issues with the original R11 being low spinning. Is the R11s considered a low spin head?

John Deere Tap'n...

I know they had issues with the original R11 being low spinning. Is the R11s considered a low spin head?

John Deere Tap'n...

I got average 2350 with 5 swings on the LM, compared to 2700 with my FT-i. Lower for me at least, but I don't know what the general conception is.

It's low, fore sure. Did some comparing in the bay today, all 10.5.

RBZ: avg 2972 stock shaft S flex

910D2: avg 2386 PX 7C3

R11S: avg 2037 stock shaft S flex

R9 superdeep: avg 980?!?!?! Diamana Whiteboard S flex

Edited for shaft info

Back