In my head I've always pronounced it "Zir", but you're free to use whichever you like better.

As to the question of pictures, I'll certainly post some after I get home from work if I can get some decent shots of them. The light was all but gone yesterday when the sticks arrived.

Zir it is dude. We should have a good time in here. I plan on going HAM with these bad boys. Can't wait to see your pics!

My wife swiped the camera today and apparently took it to work. However on the memory card she left here she'd taken some pictures while I was unboxing and practice swinging my clubs. Not all the angles you'd want, really but here are two shots so you can see the backs of them. Sorry for the composition issues, the dark background sorta throws things off a bit.

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

I'll post some more when I get the camera back, may be tomorrow or Sunday before I get really good pictures up.

The black part on the back isn't a soft rubber, it's more of a hard plastic or painted metal feel. I've put these things through several full swings and the first thing I noticed is the stark difference between the CFS shaft in S flex versus the CS-lite shaft in R flex. The entire club feels firmer and seems to take away a feeling I hadn't realized I'd had about my G5s, I feel like I can swing the club and be confident that the face will arrive at the ball when it should, where it should. I don't feel like I have to slow down which led to some issues early on in my ownership of the G5s where I'd decelerate through the ball. I now realize I was doing that because I was not confident in my knowledge of the location of the clubhead. My i20s are a swingweight of C8 since I had a half inch removed from the shaft. I hadn't thought about asking Ping to raise the swingweight back to D0, but since I had been choking down on my G5s slightly I am fairly certain I was used to the lower swingweight anyway.

It's raining outside at the moment or I'd be out back slamming golfballs into my driving net. Unfortunately as much as I love golf I love not having a cold more, and the past few days I've been a little too close to having one, so it seems safest to save the hitting test and range tests for tomorrow morning when I can go out in the sunshine and put some dirt, ballmarks and grass on these babies.

Again, sorry for the lack of pictures, but I'll rectify that as soon as I can.

Last edited:
This thread is bad for a lot of our wallets. I wonder if I could play a mix set of i20's and ZStars?????

Would be tricky. However when I had a brief chat with a Ping rep yesterday he mentioned something neat. He said they way they've done the gapping with the irons applied through the G20, I20 and Ansers. So if you were someone picky like me about scoring iron looks and you didn't want to play hybirds one could easily go 3/4 G20, 5-7 i20, 8-PW Anser and be pretty well good. He even mentioned something called a bounce grind they'll do on the G's and I's to take off up to 3 bounce per club as well as shave down the trailing edge a bit.

I'm not a Ping guy in general but I'll admit that made my gear head heart flutter.

Though are beautiful. Great purchase Xir

Love them! Great pics, thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

I hit the I20 irons tonight and came away impressed. I am going back tomorrow since the ping rep will be there doing fittings. I was hitting with a stiff shaft aol I am very interested in seeing these with the regular shaft. I have a couple sets just sitting in garage that might be traded for these.

TapAhoy!

CFS X-Stiff on mine, wowza!! These things are low spin bullets coming off the face!!! I am pleased after spending 3 hours at the range today!!! :D

I'm sure there's a separate thread for the driver, but it seems like it will be a bomber as well.

Last edited:
Ok, since I have never even swung a PING iron before this, I literally know nothing of the CFS shafts. Quality? I assume so? They appear to be very lightweight? I am normally a S300 guy, but haven't hit PX5.5 still.

Tell me more on CFS. Low launch, high launch, stepped, high spin, low spin?

I really dont know much about the CFS shaft but I do know the i20 7 iron felt pretty damn good when I hit it with that shaft in it.

CFS X-Stiff on mine, wowza!! These things are low spin bullets coming off the face!!! I am pleased after spending 3 hours at the range today!!! :D

I'm sure there's a separate thread for the driver, but it seems like it will be a bomber as well.

Very nice dude!

I really dont know much about the CFS shaft but I do know the i20 7 iron felt pretty damn good when I hit it with that shaft in it.

I didn't like it first time I hit it inside. Got it outside and the ball flight was very nice. Still felt a little dead to me but it worked nicely. Feels like a heavy shaft

Ok, since I have never even swung a PING iron before this, I literally know nothing of the CFS shafts. Quality? I assume so? They appear to be very lightweight? I am normally a S300 guy, but haven't hit PX5.5 still.

Tell me more on CFS. Low launch, high launch, stepped, high spin, low spin?

Only hit this shaft twice Minarets but I can tell you what I saw. It was a somewhat low/mid ballflight for me. I don't have any spin numbers for you. I was getting good distance out of it though. It just made the club feel heavy to me for some reason

Here's what Ping puts on it's website about the stats on their CFS shafts:

MaterialFlexTorqueWeight
SteelSoft R2.2°94g
SteelRegular2.1°99g
SteelStiff1.8°109g
SteelX-Stiff1.6°114g

I don't think they're particularly lightweight. I can only really compare them to Ping's CS-lites, and so far they're head and shoulders above the CS-lites. The Mizuno shaft fitter fit me into S300's, but I went with the CFS S flex based on the feel of one in the i20 I was hitting. Sorry I can't do better, but that's all the experience I have with them.

I'll report back when my wife lets me go outside and hit a few shots rather than make me clean the house with her before her parents come over for the Mardi Gras parade.

Good stuff Xir. Mardi Gras huh? We might not hear back from you for weeks. You say that they don't feel lightweight. Did you find that they make the club feel heavy?

Nice pics Zir! Beautiful looking sticks!

Good stuff Xir. Mardi Gras huh? We might not hear back from you for weeks. You say that they don't feel lightweight. Did you find that they make the club feel heavy?

Not at all. Keep in mind that with my shafts being a half inch short the overall swing weight of my club is three points lower. Even with that, they felt very good. Rather than feeling overweight or heavy it just lent itself to making the club feel solid. I feel more like I'm swinging a baseball bat than a whippier object. I feel like I can be more accurate getting back to the ball without having to slow down or feeling I have to be delicate for precision. I'm still not swinging full out at the ball, but as far as I know no one does unless they don't care where the ball goes. I am certainly swinging more powerfully and that makes me feel better about my swing.

I just snuck outside and slapped about fifteen shots into my driving net. The club feels as close to perfect as I have yet experienced. I had no problem maneuvering it through my swing. About ten or so of the shots were dead into the same 3" to 4" spot on my net. This bodes well for initial flight, anyway. The few that were not were all attributable to me allowing my shoulders ahead of my hips, or overgripping due to the cold temperatures (for Louisiana) outside. Tomorrow morning I'll be going out in the cold air again, this time to the range, and we'll see how well they fly. My guess is going to be "well."

Eh Chunky, I'm in north Louisiana, we have three parades total, but it's better that way really. I've lived in New Orleans, you'd rather visit for Mardi Gras than be there for the cleanup afterwards.

I like the stock shafts. Ping's always done well with their stock offerings to me. I think this iron feels heavier too but for me it's more in the head and not the shaft. They could be the nicest feeling cast clubs ever.

I like the stock shafts. Ping's always done well with their stock offerings to me. I think this iron feels heavier too but for me it's more in the head and not the shaft. They could be the nicest feeling cast clubs ever.

no such thing haha
I'm with you on their stock iron shafts, I've never had issues with them. I have the AWT shaft in my i10s and still enjoy them

Went for fitting today with PING rep who was my Edwin Watts. Also took my PING Rapture V2 6 iron to compare with I 20 iron. Went through the usual lie angle so it was fairly quick because I am a green dot but discussing with rep I told him I would may even be a white dot. We tested and he said green or white because I was so close to both. Well i started hitting for distance and was striking the 7 iron very well and consistently with good dispersion. Compared it to my 6 iron and I was actually gaining a few yards in distance with the I 20 7 iron vs the V2 6 iron.

I have to say the I 20 irons are solid well balances clubs. I even went to the PGA SS later this evening to try a totally different simulator. Verified the same thing that the 7 was traveling the same distance and on many shots I gained yardage. I can't explain it but I am as excited about these as I was my Mizuno JPX Pros.

The PINGs will be ordered sometime this week. Will prob go 5 - PW as rep recommended. Can't wait to read more comments in this thread.

TapAhoy!

Awesome stuff SMG! Correct me if I'm wrong but is the white dot 2* upright?

Hey TC. White is more like 3*. green is 2*.

TapAhoy!

Hey TC. White is more like 3*. green is 2*.

TapAhoy!

Thanks bro. I was close, lol. My i3's were white dots. So I guess its safe to say you'll be bagging these beauties.

Oh yea and may add the PX Black shafts.

TapAhoy!

I snuck outside again just before I went down to watch the first few floats of the parade today. My father in law had dropped by and I took my 4 iron out to show him my new clubs. Now I have been hitting a 4 hybrid (poorly) for the past eight months since I started playing golf again. I had been unable to get along with my G-15 4 hybrid and had already decided that I was going back to an iron before I ordered this set of clubs. I set my hitting net back up and decided to give the 4 iron a shot.

After a handful of swings where I just missed fat due to not being used to the length of the club, I started making clean contact. My father in law took great pleasure in pointing out whether I was straight or not and after the first two or three shots the game lost it's lustre for him as he kept having to say "straight, straight, straight, straight... sigh... straight". The 4 iron felt fantastic and I'm happy that I'll have a club on the course for those shots where the 5 iron just doesn't cut it.

Tomorrow is the range session, and I'm extremely excited to get out there and see how they fly.

Back