COBRA AMP Driver & Fairway Woods

Interesting. So I guess it can be said that the 3 positions are there for more of a confidence thing at address and the weights are the more important aspect as far as ball flight?

Im not sure I can answer that for each person trying it, because I see a difference when I open and close, but I dont see much of one when its a half a degree or so because hands and setup can make a huge difference too. However when swapping the weights I can see a massive ball flight difference.

I will hit this next time I'm at the store. As part of the "I can't stand the looks" crowd, it would be interesting if this driver put it past all the others by 10 yards.

That's interesting when it comes to the weights because I expected a lot bigger difference than I saw.

I will hit this next time I'm at the store. As part of the "I can't stand the looks" crowd, it would be interesting if this driver put it past all the others by 10 yards.

I wouldn't really expect that unless it's a perfect fit for you. It's been comparable for me in terms of distance, but nothing out of this world.

According to a famous club maker, "Its not necessary. Open, Closed and Neutral by 2 degrees a pop would be just fine for 99% of the golfers that are going to try these drivers. The rest is marketing in my opinion and this coming from someone that made one with 50 different settings. Ironically the average golfer will mess with that wrench 500 times and their swing, when in reality the weights on some of these make a much larger difference. Companies should be looking for simplicity in adjustability instead of more angles."

I asked him the exact same question last week.

Far be it from me to argue with the clubmaker lol, but I disagree to a sense. I agree with the open, closed and nuetral part as I have seen the effects first hand with the R11 driver. Not only with myself but others I have had hit it. I actually think the soleplate is more effective because you have a physical spot to groud your club. With it at the hosel I'm not sure how effective it is because there isn't that physical point.

Also with the Srixon ZStar driver, me moving around the weights has made a very noticable difference to my ballflight and also to the performance. Maybe the multiple half degree adjustments and what not might not be effective but the weights bring a discussion point that I think is often overlooked. I'd love to see more companies use a similar technology to the ZStar.

Didn't mean to get off topic, I just don't see how 2* really fits in the middle as it seems like a huge amount open or closed. Most tour drivers are usually 1* open? I would think that might be a more in the middle type adjustment. I'm all for Cobra making a comeback I just feel like they completely skipped the middle ground crowd at times.

I'm going to be in the minority here and say (admit?) that I like the looks of the AMP driver and FW. Saw the driver in my favorite big box store over the weekend and the overall look appeals to me. The orange could be minimized a bit but it works overall. I really like the matte silver look of the shaft and club which sets it apart from other clubs.

I spent a lot of time with the FW over the weekend and s far as aesthetics go I feel the same about it as I do the driver. The face, head, and shaft all just set up well for me. I'll save most of my thoughts for my review this week but overall it's a 'good' club. Doesn't blow you away but doesn't disappoint you either.

I'm going to be in the minority here and say (admit?) that I like the looks of the AMP driver and FW. Saw the driver in my favorite big box store over the weekend and the overall look appeals to me. The orange could be minimized a bit but it works overall. I really like the matte silver look of the shaft and club which sets it apart from other clubs.

I spent a lot of time with the FW over the weekend and s far as aesthetics go I feel the same about it as I do the driver. The face, head, and shaft all just set up well for me. I'll save most of my thoughts for my review this week but overall it's a 'good' club. Doesn't blow you away but doesn't disappoint you either.

Looking forward to the review because this club is so polarizing. I reckon I really like some aspects but dislike a few others. The irons look sweet though.

Count me in as another who really likes the looks of this club. The orange is a bit much, but overall they're good looking clubs.

I have asked and asked and asked kindly for you and others to stop. And yet every single time there is one more. As a member of the THP staff I guess I expect more.

THP is here to review ALL equipment. We will continue do so without prejudice and/or bias. Its awesome to have an opinion, and nobody would ever ask not to voice that, but when your goal is to self admittedly troll a thread, as a staff member, you should rethink that.

I'm sorry to let you down JB. In all honesty, I was seriously voicing my thoughts on the club as I saw it in person over the weekend. Now, maybe if anywhere had lefty samples, I would hit it, and performance could trump hideousness, but no one has them in left handed so my OPINION is merely built on what I see.

True, I am a THP staffer, and I suppose you expect certain things from me, but being robotic and positive about everything on the market is not of them. So b/c I don't like something in the looks department, I'm not allowed to share those thoughts in the pertinent thread? SHould I only post about things that I like?

I'm just being honest, and giving my honest feedback as a consumer, which is the principle foundation of THP.

I understand your point and what you are saying though so I will refrain from going down this road again. I just wanted to help you understand where I am coming from.

I have NEVER asked someone to be positive or hide opinions TC. FLAT OUT NEVER and you know that. However you said yourself you were trolling in the thread and there comes a point in time when its fine to state an opinion or even debate one, but beating a dead horse filled with ridiculous thoughts such as Rickie Fowler's semen and god knows what else is NOT JUST STATING AN OPINION!

Discuss a club, like a club, dislike a club, but as you put it, "trolling" is not something that THP stands for.

I have NEVER asked someone to be positive or hide opinions TC. FLAT OUT NEVER and you know that. However you said yourself you were trolling in the thread and there comes a point in time when its fine to state an opinion or even debate one, but beating a dead horse filled with ridiculous thoughts such as Rickie Fowler's semen and god knows what else is NOT JUST STATING AN OPINION!

Discuss a club, like a club, dislike a club, but as you put it, "trolling" is not something that THP stands for.

I get the message loud and clear.

According to a famous club maker, "Its not necessary. Open, Closed and Neutral by 2 degrees a pop would be just fine for 99% of the golfers that are going to try these drivers. The rest is marketing in my opinion and this coming from someone that made one with 50 different settings. Ironically the average golfer will mess with that wrench 500 times and their swing, when in reality the weights on some of these make a much larger difference. Companies should be looking for simplicity in adjustability instead of more angles."

I asked him the exact same question last week.

I see where that person is coming from. I didn't think that I saw much difference when it came to changed the weights around in the SuperTri, but then again I am guilty of constantly changing things around to find the perfect driver setup. Open, Closed, Neutral settings would kind of eliminate tinkering much for me. I have openly said that the 80 different settings on the R11s would drive me nuts. I would need to have it professional fit for me and then throw the wrench out.

Distance wise it was good, but I think where it really shined was in shot dispersion - at least for me

Hanks I'm kind of with you. I don't think it looks as bad in person as it comes across in pictures. I like the gray crown and black face combo too.

I've seen these in the stores and I have to admit that I'm digging the look. Haven't swung them (probably shouldn't until my swing develops a bit more from my lessons) but I'm looking forward to doing so in the future.

I've seen these in the stores and I have to admit that I'm digging the look. Haven't swung them (probably shouldn't until my swing develops a bit more from my lessons) but I'm looking forward to doing so in the future.

forget that dude, get out there and smash it

forget that dude, get out there and smash it

But then I might have to OEM it. I think I'd rather just Hawk ponder.... :D

But then I might have to OEM it. I think I'd rather just Hawk ponder.... :D

Amen, brother. I've been hawk pondering for nearly a year...until I relapsed and oem'd a putter from the marketplace 20 minutes ago...

hawkpondering is pretty fun

If I have some extra time this weekend before my lesson, I might just try it.

Has anyone hit the Cobra Amp Offset driver???

Has anyone hit the Cobra Amp Offset driver???

Sorry but no. I'll never hit any offset driver. All an offset driver is gonna do for someone with a slice is possibly turn said "slice" into a pull/smother hook. If your coming over the top offset won't save you and you only have two directions you can hit the ball with an OTT swing plane...neither of them are straight.

Sorry I got off topic. And I could be wrong. This is just my view on offset drivers.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Sorry but no. I'll never hit any offset driver. All an offset driver is gonna do for someone with a slice is possibly turn said "slice" into a pull/smother hook. If your coming over the top offset won't save you and you only have two directions you can hit the ball with an OTT swing plane...neither of them are straight.

Sorry I got off topic. And I could be wrong. This is just my view on offset drivers.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I hear you man. I was just wondering in regards to a comparison to the regular Amp driver.

TC calling Fowler a moron has little to do with the club , I to thought the comments were a bit obnoxious. However I have hit this club a few times now at Dicks and I have to say I was impressed with it. Had very low spin numbers for me (2200-2400) and very good over all distance. I hit the Nike VRS , R11S and this all in one session and the AMP was the best for me and my swing. Still waiting to hit the Classic to see which one I will be buying.

TC calling Fowler a moron has little to do with the club , I to thought the comments were a bit obnoxious. However I have hit this club a few times now at Dicks and I have to say I was impressed with it. Had very low spin numbers for me (2200-2400) and very good over all distance. I hit the Nike VRS , R11S and this all in one session and the AMP was the best for me and my swing. Still waiting to hit the Classic to see which one I will be buying.

I have been disciplined. Sorry to have upset your viewing pleasures. Glad it worked well for you.

What was said was said and it is over and everybody has moved on. TC is a well respected member that got a little carried away. It happens to all of us and we all learn from it. Lets move on and discuss the club at hand.

JB did you try this driver out on the LM before it was sent out? How did you like it compared to the ZL encore?

JB did you try this driver out on the LM before it was sent out? How did you like it compared to the ZL encore?

Not on the launch monitor, but did hit them side by side. I very much liked the AMP over the Encore. Both in sound and performance. The Encore launched too high too quickly for me.

Back