Best/Worst thing(s) about your home course?

Unfortunately I live in the worst county of NJ for golf. Middlesex county has the worst courses in the state with the exception of Rutgers University Golf course so I really don't have a home course. Applying this topic to Rutgers however, PRO: State funding and the agricultural students/department tending to the course, it's always in tip top shape. CON: The only con is also a pro. They are sticklers for pace of play, which I'm all for however, when they are nazi's about it.

Best: 15 minutes away & very reasonable rates to walk.
Worst: SLOW summer play, doesn't fill/repair fairway divots

Best thing is it is a 9 iron from my back door to the 5th green. Worst thing is that it is closed right now due to bankruptcy and sale of the golf course so we haven't been able to play it in almost a year.

Hopefully you have found a new "home" course!

best:
no houses
one of the longer courses in the area... i think the old tpc course is the only longer one
greens are in great shape compared to a lot of courses around
2 former tour players teach there
best grass range in town
worst:
it is crowded all the time and when its packed the pace stretches to 5-6hrs
its surrounded by military bases so you either have jets/helicopters flying around or the artillery range going off
ticks/chiggers/mosquitos/snakes in certain places forces me to take drops in order to avoid them
#17 has an enormous ball magnet hidden in the pond guarding the left side of the hole
the geese wont ever let me play thru

Best: I can walk on the course by myself or as a two-some just about any time, even weekends. It's the lowest price around Northern New Jersey, about $45 with cart.

Worst: As DevRickus has said about this course, goose dung can get very bad at times. Some very tough par 3s. One is 211, another is 235! Only 2 par 5s. Narrow fairways that you MUST be aware of the golfers on the next fairway. Sometimes a hard hat is recommended! The par 4s range from 280 to a 450 90* dogleg that should be a par 5.

Best- My home course has two great 18's and because I live in the district, I pay a small fee on April 1st and can play for free all year. Only pay for a cart if I want it.

Worst- The greens get beat up by the end of July. The staff tries to keep them up, but too many "golfers" not fixing balls marks takes it's toll.

`Best: Old style course with solid layout, no quirky holes, no gimmicks. The bent grass greens are very challenging with multiple tiers, and undulations. Most of the time the course can be played in 3.5-4 hours. The superintendent is great, he kept our greens alive last summer when most clubs lost some or all of theirs around here. We have a large range and good practice facilities.

Worst: The grass in fairways is inconsistent. There are lots of tree roots around the edges of fairways. The greens are really old and not constructed to USGA recommendations so in summer they require lots of water which makes them too soft. Drainage is not great so the course gets pretty soft in winter.

Best: They hire from UCF (University of Central Florida) and sometimes I see the women's team play their practice rounds there.
Worst: Sometimes they grow the rough like it's the US Open. I've lost balls in the rough by a green there (TC can attest to that).

Where do you play Spank? i play all over Orlando so I wouldnt say I have a true home course but theyre all in pretty good shape except for Twin Rivers which is good for a quick nine just to say sharp

Best - the course is only 5 minutes from my house.
Worse - a tie between the tee boxes need building up badly, very hard to find a level lie on the tee box and a close second is the greens have very little character, mostly flat with very little break on 17 of the 18 holes.

Best: 5 minute drive from my house. Traditional members club.

Worst: Temporary greens for 5 months of the year. Old style grasses and greens therefore greens are only really a decent pace for 2 months if we get good weather.

Best - the course is only 5 minutes from my house.
Worse - a tie between the tee boxes need building up badly, very hard to find a level lie on the tee box and a close second is the greens have very little character, mostly flat with very little break on 17 of the 18 holes.

Head on up this way and we will get on some greens with LOTS of that kind of character. People have trouble reading straight putts just because they are so rare.

Best part is it's $9/9.
Worst part is that it's $9/9 (totally flat, constantly damaged greens, usually flooded fairways, etc).

Overall I really love my course. It is a public course but it is probably the best maintained public course within driving distance of me. However, the one thing I do not like about my course is the sand traps. Even the owner himself has said when the course was built they did not create the bunkers correctly. The sand is not soft and fluffy at all, and is almost impossible to hit out of it. It is like hitting out of concrete. I play other courses and my sand game actually does pretty well, but when I play my home course it is like if you hit it in a bunker you might as well admit defeat and expect a bogey or worse on the hole. I don't really know why they don't do something to fix that. Whats even worse is that they don't drain well at all. So if there is a decent rainfall here in a day then you can bet there are going to be huge puddles in the bunkers for about 3 days or so. Sometimes I lose balls because it went in a bunker and the puddle is so muddy I can't see in it to find my ball. Anyway...love the course but I think next year I'm going to join one of the local country clubs. I'm only 25 so I still qualify for junior rates and because of the economy they have offered discounted junior rates for the last couple of years. So I'm excited to switch it up a little next year.

Best:

18 hole championship course that's considered by many to be the best in Boise
9 hole par 31 executive course
9 hole modern links style championship course that's among the best 9 holes of golf I've ever played
500 yard double sided driving range
1/2+ acre putting/chipping green
Another regular sized practice green with sand and difficult lie chipping area
$6 round of golf after 2 PM with purchase of $399 players card.
Almost never crowded, often I'm the one of very few people, if not the only one, on the practice area or golf course.

Cons:
Very small clubhouse with no food to speak of, only hot dogs on a hot dog machine.
No super twilight rate for non-card holders. I guess that's why it's empty in the evenings even though sunset is around 10:00 in Boise during the summer.

TPC Harding Park in San Francisco: It's crazy to me that for a course that has been renovated a few years ago to be a "world class" golf course that there is absolutely no water available on the course. I know they just want to generate revenue through beverage sales but I've played plenty of courses at a lower green fee that have fresh water available.

Cordova Country Club is my home course. The best thing is the unbelievably low cost:$108.25/month-unlimited greens fees! The worst thing would be the public/new golfers that do not repair ball marks on our bent grass!

Pros: I live on Eagle Dunes in Sorrento, Fl. This place is always in AWESOME shape. In my opinion, my favorite course outside of Crooked Cat. Greens roll true, fairways in good shape, bunkers taken care of and very challenging from either the yellows or the blacks. Best part is i can walk less than 1/3 mile to the clubhouse.
Cons: Really need to step up their cart service. You see one lady every once in awhile and guess what...cash only. Its hot out there!. Teed off yesterday at 2:45 and not one cart girl the entire round

There are a lot more +'s than -'s on our course. On the plus side, I live less than a mile fromt he course, so it's easy to run out there, even if just to putt or hit some balls. The tee boxes, fairways, and greens are usualy in very good shape. This weekend our regular weekend crew was comment about how good the course looks.

As for cons, being in the KC metro area, it does get a lot of play. It hosts a lot of scramble tournaments, which sometimes can make it tough to play when you'd like. The concept of fixing ball marks also seems quite foreign to many of these players. Another con is how easily sand washes out of the traps. After a good rain the traps are basically sprinkles of sand over hard pan clay. I'd like to see the Golf Channel guy do a show about how to hit out of deep sandless traps.

Still, all in all I know how lucky I am to have this course so close by. It's a challenging course that is usually in great conditon. Can't do much better than that.

Pro: Its only about 15 minutes from my house, 2 minutes from my university. It only cost $350 for a full year membership (jr membership at The First Tee), Kept in great shape
Cons: The second shot on all 5 par 4's are uphill by about 20-50 ft depending on your tee shot.

I cant complain too much, The First Tee is for a great cause.

Best thing about my course:
The cost! It's a great course that could charge way more, but they keep their prices low.
And, not that many people play during the evening hours when I get a chance to play. So the course is normally wide open.

Worst thing about my course:
Limited pro shop, no kitchen, no alcohol sold there, etc...
Sometimes the ladies in the pro shop don't know enough (let out singles and 5somes on busy days)

I usually play at the Ole Miss golf course. I like the scenery of the course and there is a good variety of interesting holes. My complaints would be that there are too many blind uphill shot and the greens are much to fast to be fun some days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best: 10 minute walk from my house, cheap rates, my high school JV course, except for the first hole, easy back nine.

Worst: Not well maintained(Muni), Fairways long, enough water hazards to fill up the great lakes, slow play, trees, lots of traps. Unpredictable greens

Best- it's ranked 33 toughest course in America.

Worst - it's ranked 33 toughest course in America.

Challenges my game every time, keeps my index high, but sometimes frustrates the hell out of me.

Best: Two lovely and challenging 18-hole courses. Successful and expanding business. Amazing views from the courses and also on the range. Friendly and helpful staff. $299 membership deal which gives unlimited balls at the range, a discount at the pro shop and free golf within two hours of sunrise/sunset. Perfect for doing nine holes after work!

Worst: Lots of blind shots on one course and drainage problems bedevil the other. A couple of holes make you tee off uphill and straight into the sun at some times of the year -- good luck finding that ball after you hit it.

Ken

BEST: I can walk on almost whenever I wan't and play 9 holes in 45 min by myself or 18 with a foursome in less than 4 hours on a weekend.

WORST: The recession cost us so many members that club finances have been hard hit.

Back