Best/Worst thing(s) about your home course?

$2.25 beers would be quite welcomed in my neck of the woods!

Not saying it's bad, but last year at this time they were $1.50. $2.00 red beers as well. They make the best. Now red beer is $2.50 :(

I don't really have a home course right now, but there are two I play most often.

Arsenal Golf Club

Best - Historic course with challenging holes.
Worst - Still recovering from an old mgmt company. Also, there is a 220 yd uphill par 3 (from the whites) with a postage stamp green.

Palmer Hills
Best - Good condition and play is pretty quick.
Worst - Three hole stretch of the worst designed holes in the area. I don't know if I could adequately describe how crappy they are.

Worst - Three hole stretch of the worst designed holes in the area. I don't know if I could adequately describe how crappy they are.

I would love to hear you try lol

Good topic!

Best - Course is the best in the area, well kept and in great condition at its' best. Great practice facilities.
Worst - The clubhouse isn't great. we pay about $5 for a beer in our clubhouse and it has no real facilities.

Best: Can be setup with GREAT varying lengths, super challenging for me, usually kept up very well greens through the fairway, reasonably priced, great repair shop/fitter, basically an island green with no bail out, 1 drivable par 4.

Worst: I have to avoid weekends like the plague, when they let the natural/native areas grow and you hit a wayward shot there is absolutely no finding it, trees that are less than 10 years old so they provide zero shade or guard from the wind, 2 uphill par 5s, 2 uphill par 3s (200+ from blues), $4 hot dogs and $4 dollar beverages, though the fitting shop is good they use little to no "technology" so no shaft optimizations or monitors, its all old fashioned metrics!

Best- There are two courses, and my favorite course is always empty. They are very well maintained.
Worst- It doesn't drain well at all.

I would love to hear you try lol

Oh, let's see. Here's the first one.

#14 - Par 4 that starts up on a plateau and then drops down to a creek, green is on the other side.

You can't really drive it very much past the 200 yard marker (you can see the blue stripe on the cart path) or the ball goes down the hill. Doesn't look steep in the pic, but it very steep. Jrod hit a 3W that bounced all the way down the creek. That's a good 315 yards.

So, you keep it up on the hill, but you can't be left. Really you can't be down the center either because the giant trees on the left will block you out completely. So you make sure you're on the right, almost best you are in the right rough. Then you have a nice 200 yard approach downhill, slightly downhill lie.
14.jpg

#15 par 5 - You are forced to tee off with a mid iron unless you can drive the ball in the 300 yard range (over the creek and up the hill after it). Even if you can do that, you are going to be driving directly into the side of a big hill.

So, you can't see the landing area that you tee off towards. It's the tiny dark green area after the tee box. Your second shot is up the big hill and you can't see where your hitting to. Once you make it up there, you more than likely get a 175 yard approach. On a par 5.

15-1.jpg

#16 - 330 yard - This isn't as bad as the others, but it is still funky. Tee off with an iron through the shoot, which starts a downhill slope that goes directly to the creek. You sort of want to bounce the ball right where the fairway is the narrowest. Many people actually hit it into the trees on the right because you can sort of control the roll better that way. Then an easy approach to the green.

15-3.jpg

I can see the #5 teebox out of my window, needless to say it is really close! Nobody fixed ball marks on the greens. so annoying.

Last edited:
Hawk, I can see the last two being extra funky for me it just doesn't look fun lol

Best: Nice people and short drive from home
Worst: Often not so great conditions, the winter has really been hard on the fairways and greens this year.

And I see some of you are complaining about the price of beer, up here on the course 1 beer cost about 14$.

Best: I play there, so its awesome!

Worst: Its pricey!

Best: It is right across the street and I can tee off at 7 am on Friday morning and be home by 9:45 am.
Worst: Other members who don't repair pitch marks - awful.

Best: $250 annual greens fee pass. Challenging course with lots of elevation changes.
Worst: Always packed, incredibly slow play. Starting to get outings 3/7 days of the week.

Best - no tee times. Just show up and jump on. $14 + $5 for the cart on weekdays and $19 + $5 on weekends. They also give you back the $5 cart fee when you return the key at the end of the round.
Worst - its what some would call a "goat track". Not very challenging and the greens are the size of postage stamps. Got to work real hard to get your GIR's.

Best thing: It is close to my house...10 mins
Worst thing: Tie between slow play and bad management

Best thing is it is a 9 iron from my back door to the 5th green. Worst thing is that it is closed right now due to bankruptcy and sale of the golf course so we haven't been able to play it in almost a year.

best thing course is in great shape - challenging enough to judge improvement - two very different set ups - front vs. back. bad thing - front is very wide open - and sometimes I get lazy off the tee because I know I can't really get into trouble

I guess Rio Secco is my home course for now since I play there the most.

Best: $43 for Vegas Residents during the summer (its like $120+ for tourists) Butch Harmon teaches there, only like $5k for 2 days of lessons :dohanim:

Worst: Hmmm...Tiger Woods set a damn tough course record! lol the place is pretty flawless, can't really say anything bad about it.

We have a nine hole course a mile away, but the people who run it are just after the money and the prices (both memberships & play) are higher than any course for fifty miles. The course is normally in decent shape, but 2.5 hours to play nine is not unusual, so we stay away for the most part.

My home course is a twenty minute drive but well worth it. The front nine is very traditional with narrow fairways, small greens and plenty of trees. The course is always in nice shape and the greens are lightning fast and very receptive. The back nine is links style with wide fairways, large greens and lots of tall heather to get in trouble in if your not careful. The course has NO sand bunkers, so it is nice in that regard, with the downside being, you don't get any shots playing out of the sand which makes it harder when playing away from home. The course is also family owned and the owner is a 45 year member of the PGA of America. They are very proactive with junior golf and there are kids on the course all the time which is great to see. 99% of them are well taught and very respectful of the course and others playing it.

We have three local courses, which is pretty good for a smallish town. The one I joined has a lot of buddies who belong and last year had nice fast greens, but the fairways had a lot to be desired. The rough simply sucks and thats were I spend most of my time, lol. I will not join here again if they can't get the greens right. They are like molassis this year. Something to do with salt in the water that is pumped on the greens, they keep the grass high and are still over sanding now. Playing tonight, I three putted three times and had to really bring it three other times or face the same. A putt feels like a chip at this point. On mens league we play the ball down, as we should, but half the time its on gravel in the edge of the rough.

I love the members and the course design, just not the actual setup.

Best Part: (1) Mango Scented Iced Towels after 13 on a hot day. Nothing like it. It's worth the price of admission. (2) Practice Facility. It has a large driving double-ended range with plenty of space. At the far end is one of the chipping greens and bunker practice areas. It has a 3 hole par 3 course as well as a second chipping green and bunker practice area. Finally it has a large practice putting green that isn't just a flat space. It's a great place to hone your game.

Worst Part: It used to be the fact that there were environmental areas (red stake with green top) that you couldn't play out of. They weren't environmental areas at all. They are hazards now and at least you can play out of them. It's made the course a little more friendly. Bottom line is, there really isn't a worst part. It's a great club to be a part of.

Best: Greens....some of the best in area, especially for what the green fees cost....plus it's 15 minutes away.
Worst: Tree lined fairways with very heavy undergrowth and not a lot of rough to keep an errant tee shot in play. If you happen to hit one in there you may not find it and most often if you do find it you either have to play out backwards / sideways or take an unplayable.

Best- The course is challenging and unique with very few water hazards
Worst - The upkeep is not very good this year and there are a ton of bugs.

Back