What's more important to you?

I'd have to say driving, because over the past few months, I've struggled with that part of the game more than anything else. It's hard to get to my goal of breaking 80 when you have 2-3 penalty shots off of the tee in every round. As amateurs, the likelihood of hitting greens in regulation goes up substantially if you are in the fairway off of the tee, so that's more important to me.

I can also say it another way: I'm pretty confident at what direction my ball is going to go coming off of the putterface, and I'm decent at reading greens, so I don't have too many horrible putting days. However, there are some days where I have no idea where my ball is going to go off of the tee, that's a really bad feeling. If I'm driving it well, I'm going to play well, it's that simple.

tough one here, it can go either way I mean if I dont drive well it puts you behind even before you get to the green especially if you take drops off the tee, or are in a tough spot to go for the green, and have to take your medicine and just chip back onto the fairway. But if I am in the fairway or even in a good lie, I have a chance to make the green in 2 most of the time.

However, Even if you hit the fiarway off your tee shot and are on the green in 2 or even 3 and have a chance for birdie or par, then thats where putting comes into effect, and if you struggle there you add points to your score instead of shaving them off, and I think 44% of your golf shots consists of putting anyway. I guess for me it starts with a good drive that really sets the rest of the hole up for me.

Getting off the tee. When my tee game is bad that means a lot pf punching out to get back into the fairway which means I'm adding 5-7 shots a round just by doing that. I can mitigate a bad round by putting well but it doesn't matter if I'm 1 or 2 putting for a 7, 8, or 9 all the time

I would have to say putting is more important to me. If I am having a bad day with the driver, I can always go to the 3 wood or a hybrid to get off the tee and while they may not find the FW every time, the mistakes are minimized.

If I am having a bad day putting, there is no alternative. You are stuck having a bad day with no other clubs to bail you out.

+1 to this ^^^
Once last year I got so frustrated with a bad slice that developed with any long club, I used a 7 iron for the rest of the round. The scores were the same or better than what I would of shot otherwise on that particular day.

for me its defiantly driving. even though the putter can save your round if im comfortable and confident on the tee that i going to stripe it down the middle it adds so much pleasure to the round.

Putting/chipping for me. Nothing irritates me more than 3 putting or screwing up something in my short game.

For me it's easy....putting by a mile. I'm usually pretty consistent off of the tee box, only average maybe a couple penalty strokes a round if that with adequate to slightly above average distance. I'm always around 38 to 40 putts per round typically, my bad days usually around 42 to 44.

There is nothing more frustrating than poor putting. But for me, I have to get off the tee. I just feel it instills confidence all the way through the bag. If I am constantly hitting out of the trees or taking penalty shots, I don't care how well you are putting, you aren't posting a good score.

Putting for me. I can always figure out how to get to the green (it may be ugly) but I can save the score if I putt well.

It's a little of both. True, if you can't putt, your scores are going to suffer. But if you are constantly ending up under the tress (or other places) where you have to just chip out to the fairway, well, you're losing shots there too.

Good point Jeff. The way I look at it though, if you miss the green for what ever reason and put the next shot on the green hopefully within 10 feet or better you still have a chance to par the hole.

While I would say putting is probably the most important part of the game, for me at least, I think it starts with the driver. If I get off the tee well the hole becomes much easier and I am more relaxed and I putt better. I would like to get putting lessons, I think that is what I need the most improvement on in my game.

Since I don't compete or play for a handicap, I have to go with off the tee being more important for me. At least if my putting is bad, it never takes me long to find my ball.

Off the tee. Keeping it in play dramatically lowers my scores.

Driver for me too. Getting the ball in the fairway just yields more pars/birdies for me. I can limp around during a bad putting day, but a bad day driving makes it tough to post any kind of score.

I started tracking my stats on my uPro last year and they backed that up for me.

While I would say putter is most important, and points here are right on, but if you can't get to the green hitting all one putts does not help much. If your are 3 putting consistently from 15+ ft then work on putting. But if it takes you GIR+2 on ever hole to get on the green you need to work on keeping it in play.

Putting, no question.

If I'm in the trees, I can punch it out and advance the ball...get near the hole in 3...and if my putting is on, save par.

If I'm driving well, I can reach a par 5 in two, then 3 putt (done this many more times than I'd like to admit). 3 putting on any hole, other than a par 5 I hit in two, results in a bogey (or worse). One putting on every hole saves me par 99% of the time, regardless of where my driver leaves me.

Getting off the tee. When I'm in the short stuff my GIR % goes up dramatically.

I would say putting is more important. That being said for ME it is all about getting off the tee. If I am driving well, the rest of my game kinda falls into place. Plus my favorite part of the game is driving the ball.

For me it's driving. The more fairways = more greens and a lower score. I can spend up to two or three shots just trying to get my ball back in play if I slice one into the woods or take a penalty stroke.

I'm going to have to say driving. Personally, if I am not driving the ball well I could miss left or right, so there is no way of compensating by aiming one way or another. This means I have no confidence and my game typically goes to hell. Also, a lot of courses aren't really "open" so hitting a bad drive can result in penalty strokes, and nothing adds more to your score than penalty strokes.

Putting by far! A 300 yard drive doesnt mean a thing if you cant sink a 4' putt. Id gladly accept never hitting a driver longer than 250 yard if I could always make putts within 6'.

As long as I can keep the ball in play it's putting for me. I think it's the weakest part of my game and when my putting is on I score well.

I have to say getting off the tee. I can 2 putt any green from any location for the most part. However, when I miss fairways I give myself less scoring chances. The only time I broke 80 last year I hit all but 1 fairway off the box.

Back