Club Fitting Experiences/Questions (Shafts, Clubs)

I just want someone to fit me for Modus 3 :(

If I remember Hawk, the KBS had you in the upper 7's in spin right?

It's continually changing it seems, but in recent weeks I've been seeing close to 8k with the 7 iron. I think a LA of around 19°, but I can't say that 100%. I'm planning on hitting the indoor place this week at some point, so I'll see what I can get. I'd give you numbers from a month ago, but they are mostly obsolete it seems.

I just want it reasonable. Not concerned with making it internet golfer low haha.

I just want someone to fit me for Modus 3 :(

I cannot believe at this time you need the help launching the ball Tmex. Wasn't your latest iron fitting go something like high 80's, low 90's with a 6 iron and a fairly good LA?

It's continually changing it seems, but in recent weeks I've been seeing close to 8k with the 7 iron. I think a LA of around 19°, but I can't say that 100%. I'm planning on hitting the indoor place this week at some point, so I'll see what I can get. I'd give you numbers from a month ago, but they are mostly obsolete it seems.

I just want it reasonable. Not concerned with making it internet golfer low haha.

Ya, 8k is too high for the 7 IMO. It's just within reasonable numbers on the high end but it's not something I would be satisfied with and I would imagine most fitters wouldn't let you walk out the door with them.

Thanks for the info, Tuna. In a perfect world, I'd do the optimizer or get fit with a variety of shafts available, but it's not a given that I'll be able to do that. Like I said, I'm always looking to learn as well.

I cannot believe at this time you need the help launching the ball Tmex. Wasn't your latest iron fitting go something like high 80's, low 90's with a 6 iron and a fairly good LA?

Ya, 8k is too high for the 7 IMO. It's just within reasonable numbers on the high end but it's not something I would be satisfied with and I would imagine most fitters wouldn't let you walk out the door with them.

It was dude haha. I was fit to PX 5.0's a few months back. I'm gonna do the optimizer one last time before I order when that time comes up. I just like the sound of those shafts.

It was dude haha. I was fit to PX 5.0's a few months back. I'm gonna do the optimizer one last time before I order when that time comes up. I just like the sound of those shafts.

Do it now so we are not waiting for you. Never know when that message will come! :D

Team Hackers tapping!

Thanks for the info, Tuna. In a perfect world, I'd do the optimizer or get fit with a variety of shafts available, but it's not a given that I'll be able to do that. Like I said, I'm always looking to learn as well.

If you can't do that then do a cheat fitting.
Head to a Golf Galaxy or whatever you've got even with a iffy sim and do a extrapolation test from demo models.
Find the following clubs
R11 (KBS Tour 90)
Ping S56 (KBS Tour 120)
Nike VR Cavity (PX and/or PX Graphite)
Callaway Razr Forged (PX)
Mizuno JPX800 Pro (Dynalight XP)
Titleist AP1 or 2 (DG S300)

First hit your current iron and nab some numbers (carry, LA, Spin), even if they aren't super accurate what we're looking for is a baseline. Then hit each of the above clubs and take those numbers as well. Yes, they're different styles and different lofts even though they might be all listed as 6 irons, we'll deal with that later.
Most importantly though getting a feeling for each shaft. How does it feel in your hands? Can you feel the tip kick through the ball/do you like that feel? What happens when you take a half swing? What happens when you push the club as hard as you can?

At the end of this you end up hopefully knowing how you rank the shafts in terms of feel. Then we can look at the numbers and compare them against your baseline club. This will let us see which clubs pushed the spin and launch up, which down or what combonation or spin/launch changes occured. It will also let you know what different type of iron heads do to your game since the head is just as important as the shaft in terms of launch/spin generation.

From there hopefully we can find the iron head that works with the numbers the best, which shaft feels the best and which shaft helps the numbers as much as possible. Then if you can, it's about getting your top 2 or 3 on the grass to see which interacts with the turf the best.

Is this as good as a proper fitting? Not even close but it will let you get something accurate if you don't have access to anything better.

Was this before you had the swing change or after?
I know Tmex but I rather see you kick nunchuks in the event and afterwards then having a shaft that sounds cool.

Do it now so we are not waiting for you. Never know when that message will come! :D

You sir are a bad influence :p

Much before the swing change lol. I'm over the top with my Modus love but a good fit is going the CB's for sure. I wan't to play well and maximize the clubs in my hands.

My issue really lies in that I'm driving at least two hours to the closest Golf Galaxy too. It makes no sense that we have so little here since it's not like I live in a real small town, but that's the reality. My pro is a club builder/fitter, so I'll probably start with him, but don't know what he keeps in stock. I like to pretend I can just figure it out on my own :|

True Temper shaftfit said PXi 6.0, but I think their online tool is lacking.

Wish I lived 2 hours away. I'd save some $$. Lol. Good luck hawk

My issue really lies in that I'm driving at least two hours to the closest Golf Galaxy too. It makes no sense that we have so little here since it's not like I live in a real small town, but that's the reality. My pro is a club builder/fitter, so I'll probably start with him, but don't know what he keeps in stock. I like to pretend I can just figure it out on my own :|

I find it hard to take much stock in the online fitting tools. I think the shaft optimizer is a better tool but it only has the shafts that available from Mizuno's custom dept.

A: Sounds good. If he doesn't have it to try he should at least be able to figure out what you need from the options he has. From what I hear from you and Jrod he sounds like he's right on it.
B: You and me both. It's ok as a starting point but I don't particularly trust it. Too many missing variables but that's too be expected from a online tool.

Tuna - let's talk Novatech.

My pro is a top 100 KZG builder and I believe he uses these shafts pretty regularly. I may end up swinging some of them during an upcoming fitting. What are your thoughts on my ability to transfer results with these shafts to the big guys that are in the Cleveland custom catalog?

Hawk before Tuna answers. I was looking through the Cleveland Custom stuff yesterday and I loved that they applied the international flex code to every shaft they had listed. I thought that was pretty damn cool of them.

Hawk before Tuna answers. I was looking through the Cleveland Custom stuff yesterday and I loved that they applied the international flex code to every shaft they had listed. I thought that was pretty damn cool of them.

It is cool, though it's really only there for the driver shafts. I liked the charts too. Gives a good idea how they all compare.

That was one of the reasons I selected the Attas shaft for my MC driver. It was the closest shaft I could find to the Miyazaki C.Kua that i love.

Tuna - let's talk Novatech.

My pro is a top 100 KZG builder and I believe he uses these shafts pretty regularly. I may end up swinging some of them during an upcoming fitting. What are your thoughts on my ability to transfer results with these shafts to the big guys that are in the Cleveland custom catalog?

Shouldn't be an issue to swap them over.
I have a set of the BTR's in the MX200's I've got and I have to say I really like them. They're very KBS like under the hands and through the mid section but have a stiffer tip so they don't launch quite as high through the short and mid irons, nor kick through the ball as hard.
The Tour series is pretty good as well. Not quite as tight as the BTR's and offers a bit more forgiveness with the softer tip but still a quality shaft.
I didn't care for the S series at all. Tolerences were all over the place on the set and I just couldn't get them going.

Something to keep in mind though is that all the BTR shafts are flighted like the PX Flighted so you get variable launch depending on the club your using.

If he's a KZG guy he should have any of them hanging about for you to try. I'd start with the BTR's if you can and go from there.

Hah. I'm not trying to monopolize or anything Dean, chime in mate.

It is cool, though it's really only there for the driver shafts. I liked the charts too. Gives a good idea how they all compare.

Be careful with that chart. It's a useful tool just like Titleist's and Cobra's but there's a few mistakes on all 3 of them. For example take a gander where Titleist stuck the Xcon and the Fubuki Alpha or how Cobra shows the Fubuki K vs the Alpha and Tour.

Thanks for the info, Tuna. He said he could likely order some of the other things I want as well. I'm still not sure how the whole frequency fitting thing works tbh.

Thanks for the info, Tuna. He said he could likely order some of the other things I want as well. I'm still not sure how the whole frequency fitting thing works tbh.

When good fitters do fitting they do it to frequency rather then what the flex on the shaft says.

For example you could be a smooth swinging player with a SS in around 100 to 105 MPH who doesn't load the shaft that hard in transition then accelerates through the ball. For this the fitter wants you in say the 252 to 255 CPM range. So what they're looking for is a shaft in that CPM range with the bend profile that fits your swing. In some brands that shaft could be a X, some a S or even a R and that can even vary in a line. Look at a Motore Speeder 6.2 X vs a 7.1 S in that they very very close in actual shaft stiffness but because of the bend profile are marked as different flexes.

When good fitters do fitting they do it to frequency rather then what the flex on the shaft says.

For example you could be a smooth swinging player with a SS in around 100 to 105 MPH who doesn't load the shaft that hard in transition then accelerates through the ball. For this the fitter wants you in say the 252 to 255 CPM range. So what they're looking for is a shaft in that CPM range with the bend profile that fits your swing. In some brands that shaft could be a X, some a S or even a R and that can even vary in a line. Look at a Motore Speeder 6.2 X vs a 7.1 S in that they very very close in actual shaft stiffness but because of the bend profile are marked as different flexes.

Interesting stuff. I've heard him tell his assistants to give a guy shafts at xxx frequency and he's talked to me about the inconsistency in many iron sets in terms of frequency/flex.

I called him last night and think I'm going to set something up for the last week in March. It will give me a little more time to smooth out the changes I've made.

Interesting stuff. I've heard him tell his assistants to give a guy shafts at xxx frequency and he's talked to me about the inconsistency in many iron sets in terms of frequency/flex.

I called him last night and think I'm going to set something up for the last week in March. It will give me a little more time to smooth out the changes I've made.

Fitters who can have stock of shafts are the best. You can order a set of irons from any OEM and have them spec out all over the place in terms of frequency which leads to inconsistent flex through your clubs which leads to inconsistent shots.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I imagine he'll have you sorted out in short order.

Fitters who can have stock of shafts are the best. You can order a set of irons from any OEM and have them spec out all over the place in terms of frequency which leads to inconsistent flex through your clubs which leads to inconsistent shots.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I imagine he'll have you sorted out in short order.

It will be a first for me and I trust him to set me up. It's sort getting to the point that I'm not happy with a portion of my bag, but it's very much related to a fitting thing.

I should've posted this a while back but I finally found a fitter I'm very happy with. Anyone in the Raleigh area considering a fitting, be sure to check out Curtis Colvin in Apex.

http://www.clubguygolf.com/

I'm stoked I found him, he does awesome work.

Today I got fitted to a driver. I'm big with getting fit for your clubs and today showed why. I went into the fitting wanting one of four driver and came away with one I don't know I ever would have tried. I hit about ever driver out there with a number of shafts in each of the drivers. I think I went through 11 different drivers with about 15 different shafts. It took about two hours to get the right driver and I got the one with the best numbers. Fitting and finding a good fitter is something I find to be a must.

Tapaway!

Today I got fitted to a driver. I'm big with getting fit for your clubs and today showed why. I went into the fitting wanting one of four driver and came away with one I don't know I ever would have tried. I hit about ever driver out there with a number of shafts in each of the drivers. I think I went through 11 different drivers with about 15 different shafts. It took about two hours to get the right driver and I got the one with the best numbers. Fitting and finding a good fitter is something I find to be a must.

Tapaway!

Awesome! What'd you wind up with?

Back