Graphite Iron Shafts vs. Steel Iron Shafts

lol so do Monoco shafts right Tmex?

Monocos didnt break hahahaha. I just had so much force I popped the head off clean. I tried to blame the person who did the work but it was JB HAHAHAH.

Monocos didnt break hahahaha. I just had so much force I popped the head off clean. I tried to blame the person who did the work but it was JB HAHAHAH.

I forgot about that. EPIC!

I'll admit flirting with the idea when they were buzzing from the Kua and Program talk, but that's easy to do around here. I don't really see a need for me - I don't want high launching and I don't really like lightness in the irons.

If that is what you want to do then go for it. I was just pointing it out is all. Whatever you choose will be representing Cleveland and I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Are you still sitting on that thing for your back? Is it helping or what?

Beast mode from tapatalk

I get it, and if it was a shaft that I just could not hit worth a darn, it would be switched without a doubt. Off topic, yes, I am still sitting on the disc, and it is working really well. I can't wait to go hit a bucket this weekend.

I'll admit flirting with the idea when they were buzzing from the Kua and Program talk, but that's easy to do around here. I don't really see a need for me - I don't want high launching and I don't really like lightness in the irons.

Yeah, I think this is huge for some. I love a high launching iron shaft that holds a line in the wind. that's what I love about these. they stay true and just stick greens.

The do have aldila's which are both low launching and low spin. never tried them I dont think.

Yeah, I think this is huge for some. I love a high launching iron shaft that holds a line in the wind. that's what I love about these. they stay true and just stick greens.

The do have aldila's which are both low launching and low spin. never tried them I dont think.

I don't want light either, but that's just me. I was much happier moving away from the 85 gram steel, so something 20 grams less than that doesn't do much for me.

I totally agree with this, but playing devil's advocate ... what if the person feels more confident swing with graphite v. steel (or vice versa)? Or they like the feel of the shaft/head combo, even if there is a better monitor match? While we would like to think objectivity rules the day, the truth is, rarely is objectivity the source of our regular decisions.

Good point d! Confidence over the ball may be the most important thing in golf.

I don't want light either, but that's just me. I was much happier moving away from the 85 gram steel, so something 20 grams less than that doesn't do much for me.

That too. I can swing a 120g shaft but not for a whole round lol.

I may be on the other end of the spectrum. Been playing a sort time and only had graphite shafts. When originally fitted I recommended them likely because my swing speed was slow and the extra speed would help. I got used to graphite. I believe my swing speed has increased or perhaps I understand the swing better either way I do hit the ball farther now so the difference in SS is negligible now.

My last purchase of I 20's I went with steel because of the control it has given me. There are also some lighter steel shafts as well. As I have progressed I am preferring steel over graphite but the graphite did help me early in. At least it will cost less if I change any graphite sets to steel now.

TapAhoy!

I get it, and if it was a shaft that I just could not hit worth a darn, it would be switched without a doubt. Off topic, yes, I am still sitting on the disc, and it is working really well. I can't wait to go hit a bucket this weekend.

What was that thing called again? I was trying to show it to Tracy and it just sounded perverted. Inflatable type disc you sit on... oh never mind.

I thought you liked the Programs TC. What gives?

Could I give up my Programs for steel? Sure. Do I want to? Not a chance especially after last nights nFlight malarky.

And concept, nice write up. I can certainly understand why graphite would work better for you. Tmex made a great point earlier in that I have seen most of these cats swing and hit balls. That does bring up a lot of my questioning, but then Hawk made a good point about how a few months ago there was a ton of graphite buzz and that bug bites hard around here.

I think this thread can serve as a great resource for someone who might be lurking and wondering about the differences between the two.

*and chunky, I'm waiting for your response my friend, although I thought you had 5.5's in graphite in your Pro Combo's? Hardly a shovel. And interesting that you're "striping'' some i20's with a 6.0 steel shaft :alien:*

That too. I can swing a 120g shaft but not for a whole round lol.

Ive found something in the 100-110 area to be ideal. 120G shafts are just too heavy for a whole round and specially for multiple rounds.

Could I give up my Programs for steel? Sure. Do I want to? Not a chance especially after last nights nFlight malarky.

It's the best graphite shaft option I've ever tried for an iron, but ultimately tuna, not something I would pursue for me. And you have to remember, I didn't get to test an entire set, but just one in a 6iron. How many times do I hit a 6iron in a round of golf? 2-4, maybe. It's hard to say how good it may or may not be with an entire set and some time.

I'm also not knocking graphite. I believe it has its place. But I really like understanding why guys go certain directions. I'm a prime example really. Every fitting I've ever done the most optimal shaft for me is the KBS Tour in xstiff. I had them in my RXT's and hit some great golf shots with them, but I don't want to be in a 130g shaft anymore. I've become almost obsessed with steel shafts in the 104-110 gram range lately. Hence my infatuation with the Flighted TX's in the Ci11's and the CFS' in the i20's.

Ive found something in the 100-110 area to be ideal. 120G shafts are just too heavy for a whole round and specially for multiple rounds.

Me too. 60g is nuts at times but I thank myself on the 10 day in row golfing binges.

And concept, nice write up. I can certainly understand why graphite would work better for you. Tmex made a great point earlier in that I have seen most of these cats swing and hit balls. That does bring up a lot of my questioning, but then Hawk made a good point about how a few months ago there was a ton of graphite buzz and that bug bites hard around here.

I think this thread can serve as a great resource for someone who might be lurking and wondering about the differences between the two.

*and chunky, I'm waiting for your response my friend, although I thought you had 5.5's in graphite in your Pro Combo's? Hardly a shovel. And interesting that you're "striping'' some i20's with a 6.0 steel shaft :alien:*

itsa great thread TC. Lots of information man.

Uhoh... what happend? I think I missed it.

It's the best graphite shaft option I've ever tried for an iron, but ultimately tuna, not something I would pursue for me. And you have to remember, I didn't get to test an entire set, but just one in a 6iron. How many times do I hit a 6iron in a round of golf? 2-4, maybe. It's hard to say how good it may or may not be with an entire set and some time.

I'm also not knocking graphite. I believe it has its place. But I really like understanding why guys go certain directions. I'm a prime example really. Every fitting I've ever done the most optimal shaft for me is the KBS Tour in xstiff. I had them in my RXT's and hit some great golf shots with them, but I don't want to be in a 130g shaft anymore. I've become almost obsessed with steel shafts in the 104-110 gram range lately. Hence my infatuation with the Flighted TX's in the Ci11's and the CFS' in the i20's.

Yeah I love that you made the thread. This really is a decent debate these days especially with graphite shafts starting to become much more competitive. For those that want a lower launching heavier shaft but need the graphite there are shafts like the Aldila NV 85/100 (Those were going to be put on my irons but the guy talked me out of it because I didnt know about graphite shafts then)

I think it would be cool to make a shaft guide for irons so people can see what their options are in both steel/graphite.

Fair enough, I forgot it was only one iron shaft. I certainly agree on the weight of the iron shafts though. The DG SL's and CFS's are about the only steels I get along with and both come with their own idiosyncrasies.

The Programs for me are mostly about effort to output. I can put a 70% swing on it and get the same output as a 90% swing from steel. When I up the effort/speed level to the same, the Programs outstrip them if I really want to muscle the ball as well. However the sole purpose for me is less effort for the same distance and accuracy.

Uhoh... what happend? I think I missed it.

Eh, I haven't really expanded upon it. I think I was a little jazzed last time I was hitting the i's on the monitor vs my own in steel and with the Programs and it skewed the results. Last night they went back as expected which was slightly disappointing and kinda frustrating.
i's don't beat the PC's in anything but forgiveness and the CFS and I don't get along nearly as much as I thought we did. I'd have to port over the Programs or go with the DG SL's. I did have pretty sweet results with the S56's but that sort of defeats the whole point of getting a more forgiving set for when I can play less.

Fair enough, I forgot it was only one iron shaft. I certainly agree on the weight of the iron shafts though. The DG SL's and CFS's are about the only steels I get along with and both come with their own idiosyncrasies.

The Programs for me are mostly about effort to output. I can put a 70% swing on it and get the same output as a 90% swing from steel. When I up the effort/speed level to the same, the Programs outstrip them if I really want to muscle the ball as well. However the sole purpose for me is less effort for the same distance and accuracy.

Eh, I haven't really expanded upon it. I think I was a little jazzed last time I was hitting the i's on the monitor vs my own in steel and with the Programs and it skewed the results. Last night they went back as expected which was slightly disappointing and kinda frustrating.
i's don't beat the PC's in anything but forgiveness and the CFS and I don't get along nearly as much as I thought we did. I'd have to port over the Programs or go with the DG SL's. I did have pretty sweet results with the S56's but that sort of defeats the whole point of getting a more forgiving set for when I can play less.

This makes sense though man. Sometimes I hate stepping into a monitor because it can crush dreams haha.

What was that thing called again? I was trying to show it to Tracy and it just sounded perverted. Inflatable type disc you sit on... oh never mind.

It is a vestibular disc

FYI each Aerotech Steelfiber shaft has 59 miles of steel "wire" wound around each shaft.

I have had elbow problems in the past and the doc suggested switching to graphite. I did and never really liked them. I had a Ping nFlight fitting yesterday and received much better numbers with steel shafts. I ended up going with the CFS shafts with the Cushion inserts. The cushion inserts have come a long way from the ones Ping used to have a few years ago. The fitter told me combined with the i20 head, and the grips I should have no problems. It was a relief. I'm glad I'm able to go back to steel.

For me a much better launch angle, spin rate, and much tighter dispersion.

That said, graphite shafts in irons have come a long way and definitely can serve a variety of golfers.

Well, if we get right down to it I'm moving to graphite in an effort to reduce pain. Will it work? Dunno, time will tell.

Well, if we get right down to it I'm moving to graphite in an effort to reduce pain. Will it work? Dunno, time will tell.

So far it has been like night and day for me comparing it to steel. Hope it is the same way for you.

In my opinion and my limited experiance with graphite iron shafts is they require less of an effort for the same result. Many people on hear talk about how much of a difference a graphite shafts has when in a driver and I belive that with all the knowledge and tecnology now days in shafts it wont be long that people start to take advantge of that in their irons. If you can find a quality club fitter and not have a stigma about graphite I'm sure we could all find something as good if not better than our current steel shaft but that takes time money knowledge and patience.

Back