TaylorMade Releases R11S Driver Preview

I would say give it a chance, as someone that played the supertri I can tell you that the R11s with the phenom shaft is giving me a lot less backspin than the supertri, I now get some roll instead of a couple of hops after landing, it was very hard though, to part with the supertri.

i will stick with it as when i hit it right it goes, not getting any run at my course at the moment as it is still very wet. I should see the benefit in the summer and by then i should have it under control.

Yes, adjustability is where it's at, I am currently playing mine at UPRIGHT setting and can see a nice flight as opposed to NEUTRAL.
That sole plate is a joke though, about the only thing it is good for is that it reminds me to ground the club at address instead of hover over ball.

I guess i dont understand this, the ASP plate does so many great things, if you want to increase loft that shuts the face and if you dont like the look of a closed face adjust the ASP plate to open to make the face angle back to neutral or slightly open, goes the other way as well. How is that a joke? I know everybody has their own opinion and I respect yours but IMO the ASP is a huge asset to the R11 series. Even if I keep it at neutral loft but want a open face all I have to do is adjust the ASP to open or open+ and the loft stays the same but the face angle is now open and I dont have to fear missing left.

I guess i dont understand this, the ASP plate does so many great things, if you want to increase loft that shuts the face and if you dont like the look of a closed face adjust the ASP plate to open to make the face angle back to neutral or slightly open, goes the other way as well. How is that a joke? I know everybody has their own opinion and I respect yours but IMO the ASP is a huge asset to the R11 series. Even if I keep it at neutral loft but want a open face all I have to do is adjust the ASP to open or open+ and the loft stays the same but the face angle is now open and I dont have to fear missing left.[/QUOTE

I agree... a lot of people don't realize that face angle at address can change your backswing because of how it looks

Ok, what I'm saying is that if this thing had no ASP and I wanted to close or shut face, I could easily do that on my own, with my hands, rotating club, I mean jeez, this is as gimmicky as gimmick gets and I say this while I love Taylormade and have irons, driver and soon to come RBZ 3wood in my bag, will play Taylormade forever, this ASP thing is a GIMMICK, the FCT is legit though.

Ok, what I'm saying is that if this thing had no ASP and I wanted to close or shut face, I could easily do that on my own, with my hands, rotating club, I mean jeez, this is as gimmicky as gimmick gets and I say this while I love Taylormade and have irons, driver and soon to come RBZ 3wood in my bag, will play Taylormade forever, this ASP thing is a GIMMICK, the FCT is legit though.

Not the same but I dont see anything changing your opinion so im not going to try lol. Anyhow hope you enjoy it and hit it well.

The r11s I won off Taylormade's twitter contest came last week and I tried it yesterday. Now I'm sure that it was a combination of my former driver being old, me actually working out a little bit in the winter, the different loft (old driver is 10.5, I have this one at 9* right now), and possibly the different ball I was using (trying out the callaway chrome), but I was booming the ball after a few bad swings getting used to the club. A couple holes were I usually have 170 left for a second I was inside 150. Actually drove a ball into the water on the back nine on a hole that I never even thought about reaching last year. Kept everything neutral and ball was flying straight or with the little fade I usually have. Really liked the flight of the lower loft too.

So yeah, it was only one round and there were a ton of variables, but I really liked how it worked using it for the first time.

The r11s I won off Taylormade's twitter contest came last week and I tried it yesterday. Now I'm sure that it was a combination of my former driver being old, me actually working out a little bit in the winter, the different loft (old driver is 10.5, I have this one at 9* right now), and possibly the different ball I was using (trying out the callaway chrome), but I was booming the ball after a few bad swings getting used to the club. A couple holes were I usually have 170 left for a second I was inside 150. Actually drove a ball into the water on the back nine on a hole that I never even thought about reaching last year. Kept everything neutral and ball was flying straight or with the little fade I usually have. Really liked the flight of the lower loft too.

So yeah, it was only one round and there were a ton of variables, but I really liked how it worked using it for the first time.

Haha, you sound like I think...scary thought.

Not the same but I dont see anything changing your opinion so im not going to try lol. Anyhow hope you enjoy it and hit it well.

Aww, just when I wanted to get into a heated debate lol.
Thanks, I am enjoying not being the one always hitting second shots first anymore.

Aww, just when I wanted to get into a heated debate lol.
Thanks, I am enjoying not being the one always hitting second shots first anymore.
That is always a fantastic feeling!

I hit this for the first time today and I was impressed. I can see what people are saying about the sound though, it is definitely different. I am still stuck though on whether I would go with this or the RBZ Tour Spoon as my next tee club. I hit a 11.5* Tour Exotics 3W and was only getting 5-10 yards less carry than the driver and was more consistent (and that was off the deck). I can't wait to see what I can do with the 13* RBZ.

Yeah, your right. You could do that... You could close it .5* one time and 1.25* the next time and .25* the next time and be all over the place. Or you could turn the darn ASP and be EXACTLY whatever you set it for every time!

Sorry if I'm a bit blunt and crass. No harm meant! Just making a point.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

So I went out today and had my best round ever, +5 off a 14 handicap. First time out with my RBZ 3 wood, hit my current driver(Titleist 910) once in the 18 holes as my R11s isn't due for delivery until next week. First hole par 5 and the RBZ had me 30 yards beyond my usual driver landing distance on the hole. The point of this post is worry. I seriously worry that my new driver when it arrives will be the second longest club in my bag. The RBZ should be illegal.... I'm blown away

I guess i dont understand this, the ASP plate does so many great things, if you want to increase loft that shuts the face and if you dont like the look of a closed face adjust the ASP plate to open to make the face angle back to neutral or slightly open, goes the other way as well. How is that a joke? I know everybody has their own opinion and I respect yours but IMO the ASP is a huge asset to the R11 series. Even if I keep it at neutral loft but want a open face all I have to do is adjust the ASP to open or open+ and the loft stays the same but the face angle is now open and I dont have to fear missing left.

I tend to agree with Birdog here. You can close your face angle then re-grip the club or you can open it and then re-grip the club. Plus, I still haven't figured out if I believe the ASP even works. It is intended to work as a prop if you will. It props the face open or closed. I could see that working on a mat, but on a tee box wouldn't the ASP just sink into the grass?

But, I expressed my opinion on this before and just saying Birdog isn't the only one. I might experiment with this at some point do a test to see if the ASP actually props the face open or just sinks into the tee box grass. Plus, it'd be interesting to see how many people actually ground their club before they tee off with a driver because I'm not sure that everyone who buys an R11 or R11s understands how the ASP works or that you have to ground the club for it to work.

I tend to agree with Birdog here. You can close your face angle then re-grip the club or you can open it and then re-grip the club. Plus, I still haven't figured out if I believe the ASP even works. It is intended to work as a prop if you will. It props the face open or closed. I could see that working on a mat, but on a tee box wouldn't the ASP just sink into the grass?

But, I expressed my opinion on this before and just saying Birdog isn't the only one. I might experiment with this at some point do a test to see if the ASP actually props the face open or just sinks into the tee box grass. Plus, it'd be interesting to see how many people actually ground their club before they tee off with a driver because I'm not sure that everyone who buys an R11 or R11s understands how the ASP works or that you have to ground the club for it to work.

It doesnt sink into the grass, when you try to do it by hand its not even close to being exact plus you affect the LOFT of the club when doing it by hand, with the ASP that does not affect loft. Even if you hover it can still work, ground the club to get the affect of the ASP, take your grip then you can hover the club and the face angle will be what the ASP is set to if that makes sense. I know not everybody believes it works or understands it but from my experience with it I know it works.

It doesnt sink into the grass, when you try to do it by hand its not even close to being exact plus you affect the LOFT of the club when doing it by hand, with the ASP that does not affect loft. Even if you hover it can still work, ground the club to get the affect of the ASP, take your grip then you can hover the club and the face angle will be what the ASP is set to if that makes sense. I know not everybody believes it works or understands it but from my experience with it I know it works.

I hear ya 10yard. I'll concede that it's possible it works. I think some may think it seems gimmicky because nothing about the face actually changes, know what I mean? It just props the face in the right direction. Which very well may be it's full intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya 10yard. I'll concede that it's possible it works. I think some may think it seems gimmicky because nothing about the face actually changes, know what I mean? It just props the face in the right direction. Which very well may be it's full intent.

The face angle actually does change. If you watch the Dustin Johnson fitting video you can see the ASP actually help keep the ball from leaking right after they closed it. Anyhow my R11s head should be here early next week, cant wait to get on course with it and hear/feel the difference with the hotmelt.

That is exactly my process at the T box, I do this to ensure I put the ASP to work since it wouldn't work by hovering.

Thanks MSB, you said it better than I did, the word "prop" is better fitting than ASP.

Yeah, your right. You could do that... You could close it .5* one time and 1.25* the next time and .25* the next time and be all over the place. Or you could turn the darn ASP and be EXACTLY whatever you set it for every time!

Sorry if I'm a bit blunt and crass. No harm meant! Just making a point.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Blunt? crass? don't be so hard on yourself.

The face angle actually does change. If you watch the Dustin Johnson fitting video you can see the ASP actually help keep the ball from leaking right after they closed it. Anyhow my R11s head should be here early next week, cant wait to get on course with it and hear/feel the difference with the hotmelt.

I meant in a literal sense. If you hold the club, change the ASP, the face does not actually move.

But anyways. We can move on. I did enjoy the R11 and am excited my R11s should be here soon.

What exactly does hot melting do?

It melts lead and lets the lead harden in a certain spot to add weight to that certain area.
I meant in a literal sense. If you hold the club, change the ASP, the face does not actually move.

But anyways. We can move on. I did enjoy the R11 and am excited my R11s should be here soon.

What exactly does hot melting do?

Can anyone comment on whether this driver is higher or lower spinning head than the R11?

Can anyone comment on whether this driver is higher or lower spinning head than the R11?
its a much lower spinning head, is now starting to give me much more roll out as well as the fairways are firming up.

its a much lower spinning head, is now starting to give me much more roll out as well as the fairways are firming up.

Are you sure about that, I think the Phenom is lower spinning than the Blur, but are we sure the head is lower spinning?

Are you sure about that, I think the Phenom is lower spinning than the Blur, but are we sure the head is lower spinning?
its lower than the r11 for me, i am sure i read its a lower spinning head

From everything I have heard its higher spinning that the R11, more like the Supertri.

Back