i20 v. Razr x irons for high handicapper

joe joe

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a 18 to 19 handicapper and currently swing the x20s. I think I should have gotten big berthas instead b/c of the forgiveness and dont want to make the same mistake again. I went to a Ping Demo day the other day thinking the "g" series would be for me, but I ended up hittin the i20s farther and straighter. Crazy? I've also hit the Callaway Razr Xs pretty good, but like the look and feel of the i20s better. Is it crazy to think that the i20s might work for a high handcapper like myself. Any help would be much appreciated, just want to make sure it wasnt a fluke to hit this "players" irons well. :banghead:\

Go with what you think works best for you, the i or g series might inspire a bit more confidence compared to the the Razr. I am probably in your handicap range and I play Razr X Forged (if those are the ones you are talking about) and I love them. I lose my strokes around the green, my iron play has been getting better and better.

I think you should get what you hit well, and do a full fitting if you can. To make you feel better, at least try to go hit them again side by side to make sure. I've bought a lot of clubs based on first impression that I wish I would have verified on another day when my swing might be different.

Either are good selections but go with what you hit best and get them fitted.

hit both and see what you like but don't limit yourself to those two. When I bought my irons I walked into the store thinking R11 and R11 only and walked out having ordered a set of Wilson Staff Di11's. Point is try anything and everything until you find something that works and then buy that.

welcome ot the forum joe joe like its been said go with what your swinging the best but also think of those days when your not playing very well which will still help you out,i have the i20s and they are an amazing iron,as for the x20s i had a set of them a while back and they are more forgiving than the i20s maybe try the g20s out just for those days were your not playing well and need that little bit of extra help,good luck in what you decide

Hey, if they work, game them. I hate how people separate clubs by handicap. It doesn't accurately reflect iron play because there could just be a bad short game that is raising someone's handicap.

Tappin!

I think they are a pretty forgiving iron but I might want to hit them a few more times just to make sure you were not having a good swing day. Don't want to see you make an expensive mistake. FWIW I had the Razr X with KBS Tours and thought they were one of the nicest feeling sets I've had. But I agree the i20's do feel better. I hope I don't sound like a jerk, but I've yet to see a person at around the 20 handicap mark who would benefit from a players club. As you learn the game, forgiveness is good to have so that you have fun while learning. Just my opinion though.

I beilieve that handicap is irrelevant when choosing irons. Yes it's extremely unlikely that a high handicap will benefit from player's irons, but it could happen if they lose all their strokes around the green. Before I make a club purchase I hit them at least 3 different days outdoor to make sure I will like them. Then I get them fitted to me.

I understand what you are saying - you are surprised that a club with more playability is suiting your swing instead of an extreme game improvement (GI) club. If these were blades I might give this more credence, but I think the I20's incorporate GI features too. And based on feedback from others (see the thread) they appear to be fabulous clubs. The advice of others here is spot on - hit them more than one time, get fitted, go with what you like and believe in...having confidence over the ball is pretty darn important.

This forum is awesome. Thanks for all the advice!

PING's website puts these in the "Competition / Game Improvement" category. I think they definitely have elements of both in them.

both are great irons. I've only hit the i20's at the range, but I played the Razr x irons for about 5 months last year. Very forgiving iron with plenty of distance.

I am fortunate to have a great pro who lets me play with everything in the pro shop.
I have hit the Razr and Razr Tours and while I liked them I don't think they are in the same class as the I20. I have hit most iron offerings this season except the Mizunos. The best I found were the Titleist AP1/AP2 and Ping I20 with a nod to the Adams A12/CB. The Callaway for me would be in the next very good tier. I am a high capper with a decent swing and terrible short game.
On a side note-- I got sucked into the hype around TM offerings a few years ago and left my Ping G5s for Burner 2.0s and the lure of added distance on jacked lofts.

I am fortunate to have a great pro who lets me play with everything in the pro shop.
I have hit the Razr and Razr Tours and while I liked them I don't think they are in the same class as the I20. I have hit most iron offerings this season except the Mizunos. The best I found were the Titleist AP1/AP2 and Ping I20 with a nod to the Adams A12/CB. The Callaway for me would be in the next very good tier. I am a high capper with a decent swing and terrible short game.
On a side note-- I got sucked into the hype around TM offerings a few years ago and left my Ping G5s for Burner 2.0s and the lure of added distance on jacked lofts.

Yeah it's easy to hit your 6i the same distance as your old 5i when the lengths and lofts are the same.

The guy at GG was ranting to me about it for like 20 min last time I was there. My guess is he's not a fan of them.

I'm a 18 to 19 handicapper and currently swing the x20s. I think I should have gotten big berthas instead b/c of the forgiveness and dont want to make the same mistake again. I went to a Ping Demo day the other day thinking the "g" series would be for me, but I ended up hittin the i20s farther and straighter. Crazy? I've also hit the Callaway Razr Xs pretty good, but like the look and feel of the i20s better. Is it crazy to think that the i20s might work for a high handcapper like myself. Any help would be much appreciated, just want to make sure it wasnt a fluke to hit this "players" irons well. :banghead:\

I don't think it is really a fluke that you hit the i20's so well. There is some forgiveness built in them. If they feel right, look right and sound right to you, then I say go with them. Just be sure to get the correct shaft and other specs right up front. Go through a proper Ping fitting before you buy.

See if you can demo them for a round. Its a whole nother world on the course compared to the range.

I am also a 19 hcp and have just been fitted for the Ping i20s. After I got home I have been surfing the web and becoming increasingly concerned about the reviews stating the clubs suited for "the better player" or "high one-digit handicap".
But the i20s were the clubs that I could hit longest and straightest and felt best (and I tried a lot of different ones). Therefore I think I have made up my mind and will buy the i20s and not listen to what other people think. (except my fitting-master :act-up:)

I am firm believer in going with what you swing the best. If the 20's work and the numbers look good play them and don't second guess it.

TapAhoy!

If it helps, I was about an 18 handicap when I was looking for new irons. I expected G15s, maybe Burner 2.0s, but ended up hitting the i15s the best. Went with them and the scores have come down! Agree with the advice of trust the results, and get fit!

Let me ask this question. If you are a high hdcp'r how do know how a truly good feels. I mean unless you've had professional eyes on your swing and been witness to solid numbers, you're kinda going on your buddies ooo's and aaah's. If another high hdcp'r says nice shot, is it?
My point is this.....unless you get some real numbers and real advice from a professional fitter or pro, you can hit what ever you want. It's not going to make a difference until you are properly fit. Then you can truly say these are better than those or those feel better then that. It's all personal until you see some numbers.

My handicap is similar to yours and I tend to hit clubs like the i20's better than super game improvement irons as well. It could be several factors...if your ball tends to draw, the added offset of the game improvement irons will not help you.
I like the idea that some others had about taking a demo on the course. I would get the clubs that I hit the best and inspire confidence.
Have fun!

Handicap really doesn't matter. For example, my handicap s around 20 as well, but I STRUGGLE off the tee, my strength is my mid irons - short irons. YOU need to go hit them outside as well, if possible and get fit for them. Like you I loved the i20's. Went in thinking R11 or Ci11, but ended up loving the i20's. I'm going to get a full fitting at the end of this month for a new set of irons and plan on demoing every iron possible until then just to see what else is out there.

Get fit is the most important factor I've learned from THP in my long search for irons. If your ball striking is good and you are feeling confident with the i20's I don't see a reason why you can't play them. For a players iron they are not to hard to hit. But I must say there's a wide range of good clubs out there R11's, JPX800, titleist ap1/2's. It's worth it to be patient and trying them all. Hit them side by side on different days so you know how they perform on off-days as well... Try different shafts, they also make a world of difference.

Looking forward to hear what you end up with!

Back