Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Or since you can pick any set - maybe a full set of Ansers :act-up:

OMG! Just stopped in PGA Superstore in Kennesaw on the way back home from a wedding in ATL this weekend and my wife said "how about you pick you out a set for fathers day this June."

Prayers do get answered!! Now to decide between the CB3 and I20s.

Or since you can pick any set - maybe a full set of Ansers :act-up:

Well, she will have stipulations, for sure. She asked which set I liked and when she saw $699 she said ok. So I can't go crazy, but ill take what I can get.

Well, she will have stipulations, for sure. She asked which set I liked and when she saw $699 she said ok. So I can't go crazy, but ill take what I can get.

Still super super cool man!

Will have my write-up from Saturday up this morning. Overall another great showing for the i20's.

Finally got my i20's out on the range and the course on Sunday. Im in love. For me when I first take something new to the range whether its irons or a drive I need to see something good very quickly or it gets in my head. After warming up with my SW and hitting it very well I moved to the i20 U wedge. Just ripped it. Feel is amazing and the CFS shafts deliver. I was on the tee box in less then 30 so I moved through a few irons and then to hybrid, 3W and driver. But I wanted to throw up the first ever swing with the 9 iron. Blasted it about 20 yard or so over a marker that I lasered at 139...wtc? On the course my swing fell apart with my left hand real fast but one thing I did notice was just how good a shot out on the toe reacted. I hit two green with toe shots and numerous others that still resulted in good shots. Amazing forgiveness.

7523bdd3.jpg

Kmac, I reckon once the hand is 100% you're gonna be a happy guy. The great news is that when the hand was fresh, you were striping it.

Date: 3/31/12
Ping i20 3-PW
Conditions: low 70’s, overcast, wet(cart path only)

3i: hit this 3 times. 2 off the tee. Averaged about 220 off the tee. Not the purest contact but it worked. Hit them where I wanted. I need to work on my rhythm with it. I had one bad shot with the 3i, was 215 out on a par 5, and chunked the crap out of it. I debated hitting 4i but the cart was too far away to change, haha. Plus we had about a 10min wait before I got to hit the shot.
4i: Hit this once. Was off the tee. Wasn’t sure of the layup yardage to the creek so I hit it timidly. I had good contact but came over the top of the ball and pulled it left. Would have been an okay shot if it hadn’t run through the rough.
5i: Did not hit
6i: hit a few times. Had only one bad shot with this club. Was a side hill lie and pushed it to the right. Almost fell down while swinging. Still hit is very well and was pin high. Just a push.
7i: Hit once. 179 par 3 into the wind with a little left to right. I was just trying to land this on the front of the green and have it release. My target number was about 168 or so. Hit a nice smooth shot, was going exactly where I wanted. It caught the wind a little bit pushed it a few feet right of the pin and about 1-2 yards shorter. I landed it on the only soft part of the green and it had zero roll. Was thrilled with the flight and accuracy with the shot.
8i: Hit this a few times. Really love this club. I think I have dialed this is to my 155-165 club. I am able to launch it nice and high, not ballooning, and have land it pretty softly. This club just goes exactly where I aim it.
9i: about 3-4 times. Best shot of the day was with the 9i. Par 3 147, hit a nice high baby cut. Landed 3ft right of the hole and ended up 4ft. Nice birdie. Hit a few other nice shots with it that landed around 10ft. I am able to control my distance very well with this club.
PW: Another great scoring club. Used this a few time from the fairway, tee, and chipping. I am able to control the flight nicely from the fairway. I can keep it low or hit it really high. From the tee I hit a nice shot to about 10ft from the hole. I am starting to get really good chipping with this club. I hit a few that left a gimmie to save par.

Overall:
I am having a great time reviewing these clubs. They are definitely putting confidence back into my iron game. The course was in pretty bad shape: wet, weedy, bumpy, and thin. This was the first time I ever played the course and shot an 84. I had 5 penalty shots and about 4 lip-outs. I love the weight and feel of the CFS shafts. I usually play a heavier shaft but these things fit me perfectly. I like the fact that I get feedback on bad shots and a great feel on good shots.

Next planned testing:
I am planning on finally getting some good range time with these Tuesday evening. I need to get some work in with my swing on the 3 and 4 irons. I love those clubs but my sing sometimes gets over the top with them. I hope to have some video also.

Very nice GD.

You freakin kill the ball. I'm nowhere near your distances :D

Very nice GD.

You freakin kill the ball. I'm nowhere near your distances :D

I can hit my irons pretty far, my swing translates better to irons than it does a driver.

Here are the distances I am playing with these clubs:

3i: 210-225
4i: 200-210
5i: 190-200
6i: 180-190
7i: 165-180
8i: 155-165
9i: 145-155
PW: 130-145

What I like is that I can take more club if needed and be able to control the distance better. With other irons I struggled when I tried to hit the ball shorter with more club.

I love the distance gapping as well. Much tighter than what I used last year.

I can hit my irons pretty far, my swing translates better to irons than it does a driver.

Here are the distances I am playing with these clubs:

3i: 210-225
4i: 200-210
5i: 190-200
6i: 180-190
7i: 165-180
8i: 155-165
9i: 145-155
PW: 130-145

What I like is that I can take more club if needed and be able to control the distance better. With other irons I struggled when I tried to hit the ball shorter with more club.

Those are some strong distances there GD. Have you been tested for the juice lately? I kid. Actually I saw some fairly stout distances Sunday too. I hit the U wedge from 105 and went over the green which puzzled me. I think these irons have a lot more juice in them then Ping lets on.

Finally got my i20's out on the range and the course on Sunday. Im in love. For me when I first take something new to the range whether its irons or a drive I need to see something good very quickly or it gets in my head. After warming up with my SW and hitting it very well I moved to the i20 U wedge. Just ripped it. Feel is amazing and the CFS shafts deliver. I was on the tee box in less then 30 so I moved through a few irons and then to hybrid, 3W and driver. But I wanted to throw up the first ever swing with the 9 iron. Blasted it about 20 yard or so over a marker that I lasered at 139...wtc? On the course my swing fell apart with my left hand real fast but one thing I did notice was just how good a shot out on the toe reacted. I hit two green with toe shots and numerous others that still resulted in good shots. Amazing forgiveness.

7523bdd3.jpg

Aweseome Kmac! I just want to go crazy with the superlatives on the i20s, keeping things in check so I don't sound impartial. Aren't toe strikes surprisingly forgiving? Can't wait to hear more on how these help/don't help your scores. Hope that hand stabilizes so you can enjoy them even more.

Aweseome Kmac! I just want to go crazy with the superlatives on the i20s, keeping things in check so I don't sound impartial. Aren't toe strikes surprisingly forgiving? Can't wait to hear more on how these help/don't help your scores.

I hit three shots two from the FW and one on a short par 3 and all hit the green. I was surprised to see just how bad I had missed the sweet spot when I looked at my mark. That par 3 I hit the PW from 125 or so and it landed on the edge of the green and fringe. I knew Id missed it because I felt it but when I looked at my ball mark it was so far out on the toe it was almost a miss. Yet still made it to the edge of the green and dead straight. Pretty impressive.

Those are some strong distances there GD. Have you been tested for the juice lately? I kid. Actually I saw some fairly stout distances Sunday too. I hit the U wedge from 105 and went over the green which puzzled me. I think these irons have a lot more juice in them then Ping lets on.

Purely HGH here :act-up:

I forgot to add another 15yards per club for my internet distances......

Purely HGH here :act-up:

I forgot to add another 15yards per club for my internet distances......

haha and thanks for clearing up the internet distances. I was getting ready to call you out. Internet style of course. :bulgy-eyes:

Griff, I think this is a great point that sometimes gets overlooked. Sounds like there is strong consensus these are pretty forgiving, but I like the comment on consistency because as you get more used to these clubs and just plain more consistent with your swing, you obviously want to be have more predictable results. I remember one of the most frustrating things about the 2.0s, for example, was I felt like I had a similar swing for a couple shots but the distance would be wildly different. I feel like the results with these are very similar for a similar swing.

I love the distance gapping as well. Much tighter than what I used last year.

Nice review GD.
How are you finding the workability with these?

Nice review GD.
How are you finding the workability with these?

I haven't tried to work the ball a lot with these clubs yet since most of my time has been on the course. I have been able to do some slights cuts and draws when needed. Went I hit the driving range Tuesday I will practice working the ball and let you know.

Aweseome Kmac! I just want to go crazy with the superlatives on the i20s, keeping things in check so I don't sound impartial. Aren't toe strikes surprisingly forgiving? Can't wait to hear more on how these help/don't help your scores. Hope that hand stabilizes so you can enjoy them even more.

You aren't alone....and boy is it tough.

Kmac, that 9i pic get me all excited! Too nice!

Another thing I noticed was a more right to left ball flight then anything else. The scoring clubs went high and landed soft which is always nice.

Testers, thanks for the time you guys are spending. I really like that you are covering so many angles, like the club by club reviews - decided to add a 4i instead of hybrid for the first time in about 6 years based on your feedback and pretty excited about giving it a go.

Testers, thanks for the time you guys are spending. I really like that you are covering so many angles, like the club by club reviews - decided to add a 4i instead of hybrid for the first time in about 6 years based on your feedback and pretty excited about giving it a go.

JK, I freaking love this 4i, seriously. Just fun for me to hit, and that has NEVER been the case before. I hope you like it too.

It's a good choice and based on your HC. It's nice to use a 4I. I find most 4Is to be more versatile than hybrids in general. The longer irons don't run away on the green. They don't drop and suck back, but attacking just under the pin has worked for me.

JK, I freaking love this 4i, seriously. Just fun for me to hit, and that has NEVER been the case before. I hope you like it too.

Jman, would you consider bagging a 3-iron in the i20's seeing as you are hitting the 4-iron so well?

I'm just back from a 3-day stag party in Madrid and boy am I feeling it. I'm taking a half day Thurs so i'm just hoping that my i20's are in by then.

Back