Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

I know the feeling. I think we all go through that when we start getting realistic birdie attempts. I'm playing to "preserve" score and not TO score. I subconciously tell myself that tap in pars rock instead of really pushing for those birdies. Its so annoying.

Yep, and that tap in par quickly becomes a 5 or 6 foot par chance for me right now because I get tenative. Forget all that though. I'm going to go make some damn putts next time I'm out. I'm tired of wasting good shots.

Look into it man.....I switched to this one and it's amazing how quiet my hands have become, no more flicking the stick with the right hand for me and I don't grip the putter with a death grip now.

http://www.winngrips.com/putter-grips/jumbo

That's very ironic b/c I was checking them out on eBay Saturday night. I told myself I'd go practice and if things were still bad I'd revisit the giant grip. Practice went well, so I figure it's just me. I freeze up on the greens and it's frustrating. I don't finish my stroke and I worry too much about missing to make anything.

Yep, and that tap in par quickly becomes a 5 or 6 foot par chance for me right now because I get tenative. Forget all that though. I'm going to go make some damn putts next time I'm out. I'm tired of wasting good shots.

That's the mentality I need dude. Seriously. I've decided that most of my prep from here on out will be on the golf course. I want to play more this year and practice less. Last time at the range I wanted to tinker. I don't need to do that anymore. I have good mechanics right now. Its time to start taking advantage of them.

That's the mentality I need dude. Seriously. I've decided that most of my prep from here on out will be on the golf course. I want to play more this year and practice less. Last time at the range I wanted to tinker. I don't need to do that anymore. I have good mechanics right now. Its time to start taking advantage of them.

I like that idea. At your level, you just need to let it go, play golf, and practice going low. You know it's in you since you did it before. No reason you can't make it happen again.

I like that idea. At your level, you just need to let it go, play golf, and practice going low. You know it's in you since you did it before. No reason you can't make it happen again.

I guess so buddy. I need to do something. Lately I've been reading putts great but everything has been like 6" short. So frustrating.

This is a good strategy to have man. I try to do this myself, just go play and if bad tendencies start to creep in then I'll get to the range for a quick 60 balls to fix it and really that's about the extent of my range time.

I did go last night though, probably didn't need to since I played pretty well on Saturday but my daughter wanted to go and I'll never tell her no. I hit some balls next to her and just tried to groove what I had been working on. I tell you what, putting HOTD videos up and seeing the swing is really good stuff, in the video I again noticed how bad I'm allowing my shoulders to raise up prior to impact, thus adding loft to everything. I've been nailing that down and staying down through the swing, that ball flight is money when I do that. Just gotta REMEMBER it! :D

You need a custom swing thought bracelet that says "stay down stupid"

It's funny, because I know people say 'don't just beat balls at the range', but that's exactly what I needed to do for awhile. With trying to work on a new-ish swing, I needed massive repetition. I'm finally feeling like I don't have to do that anymore. Yesterday was the first day that I went and hit a few balls and then didn't feel the need to continute. Normally I'd hit a couple hundred.

My prep work was just getting out and playing golf over the weekend. The biggest issue that's been plaguing me this year so far has been bunker play. So I have been working on hitting just basic bunker shots to try and get the feel back of letting the bounce of the club hit the sand and just thump the ball out. I won't lie, some were not pretty at all. I started using a 60 degree out of the sand more over the weekend and had more consistency. I'll have a 58 in the bag for MC so that transition should be pretty easy. They haven't put the rakes out in the bunkers yet at the course so as soon as they get that done this week I will be able to practice more on those shots.

My best shot of the weekend was on a par 5, 3rd shot from a bunker 80 yards out going 35 feet uphill. Took out the 50, which was the first time I ever hit this out of the sand, opened the face a little and took a little sand and sent it to the back of the green. The ball was on the left side and the pin on the right so it wasn't close to the hole but the distance was pretty damn good.

I played 3 different rounds this week and I learned one thing, I truly suck at putting right now. All the greens around me currently are very slow and very hairy and very sandy. The rest of my game is in decent shape, but could be much better.

I played 3 different rounds this week and I learned one thing, I truly suck at putting right now. All the greens around me currently are very slow and very hairy and very sandy. The rest of my game is in decent shape, but could be much better.

You'll get there buddy. You're like Jekyll and hide with the putter. The one good constant is that you typically have a good read.

You'll get there buddy. You're like Jekyll and hide with the putter. The one good constant is that you typically have a good read.

Thanks bro. If I could ever learn to hit the ball with the proper speed, I might be alright.

I had a blast playing with ya man and you shot a really good score on a hard course. I have never seen you so comfortable with a driver in the 3 years that we have known each other.

Thanks bro. If I could ever learn to hit the ball with the proper speed, I might be alright.

I had a blast playing with ya man and you shot a really good score on a hard course. I have never seen you so comfortable with a driver in the 3 years that we have known each other.

Thanks man. That course was a super fun test. We all hit some nice ones and some funny ones. My wedge game was pretty good so I had lots of easy pars. Those greens were kind of inconsistent, as are most around here right now. Don't put too much stock into it buddy.

My prep work was just getting out and playing golf over the weekend. The biggest issue that's been plaguing me this year so far has been bunker play. So I have been working on hitting just basic bunker shots to try and get the feel back of letting the bounce of the club hit the sand and just thump the ball out. I won't lie, some were not pretty at all. I started using a 60 degree out of the sand more over the weekend and had more consistency. I'll have a 58 in the bag for MC so that transition should be pretty easy. They haven't put the rakes out in the bunkers yet at the course so as soon as they get that done this week I will be able to practice more on those shots.

My best shot of the weekend was on a par 5, 3rd shot from a bunker 80 yards out going 35 feet uphill. Took out the 50, which was the first time I ever hit this out of the sand, opened the face a little and took a little sand and sent it to the back of the green. The ball was on the left side and the pin on the right so it wasn't close to the hole but the distance was pretty damn good.
Hey, we have a thread for your best shot of your round dude, let's keep this garbage out of here ok? :wink:

I truly suck hardcore out of the bunkers around here but I don't sweat it in terms of my MC prep because I know the sand is completely different and actually playable down there. I get to Florida and I can handle the sand there because you can actually play a "real" bunker shot out of them, here we have this hardpan sand in spots, some is soft but then about 2 inches under the surface is this hard clay crap that your club can't go through and you catch ball and send it 50 yards over the green. Bunkers here are just mainly meant to be avoided at all costs.

Hey, we have a thread for your best shot of your round dude, let's keep this garbage out of here ok? :wink:

I truly suck hardcore out of the bunkers around here but I don't sweat it in terms of my MC prep because I know the sand is completely different and actually playable down there. I get to Florida and I can handle the sand there because you can actually play a "real" bunker shot out of them, here we have this hardpan sand in spots, some is soft but then about 2 inches under the surface is this hard clay crap that your club can't go through and you catch ball and send it 50 yards over the green. Bunkers here are just mainly meant to be avoided at all costs.

It wasn't the best shot of the day, it was of the weekend! hehe

The bunkers are my old course are very similar to what you are describing. They redid a few last year, but for the most part you are hitting off of packed dirt. This course actually has sand in the bunkers which makes it more fun to practice out of. Usually I try to avoid bunkers like crazy, although when I play with your captain he likes to point them out to me on every hole we play.

I did have a great shot yesterday. I hit a big flop shot into a tight pin and I hit the top of the flag stick. The bad news is that is made the ball shoot off, but if I had not hit it, I would have a very short putt.

I did have a great shot yesterday. I hit a big flop shot into a tight pin and I hit the top of the flag stick. The bad news is that is made the ball shoot off, but if I had not hit it, I would have a very short putt.
Dang I hate that when something like that happens. So does Sergio.

Keep up the great work SethO, I can't wait to hang out and see all your progress in May.

Dang I hate that when something like that happens. So does Sergio.

Keep up the great work SethO, I can't wait to hang out and see all your progress in May.

Heck yeah bro! We are going to have a great time. It has been far too long since we have had the chance to hang out. I can't wait to see skinny Jake.

Heck yeah bro! We are going to have a great time. It has been far too long since we have had the chance to hang out. I can't wait to see skinny Jake.
Don't hold your breath for skinny Jake just yet...could I talk you into settling for Not As Fat Jake? He'll be there.

Don't hold your breath for skinny Jake just yet...could I talk you into settling for Not As Fat Jake? He'll be there.

sweet! I'll party with him

I switched back to a steel shafted iron set and made a couple birdies as my prep!

Started off swinging bad but eventually found the right swing on the back 9. I was giving my self very realistic par saves just missed the putts. Started to put that together too. My instructor said it would come in 3's and it has been.

I like Jake is all its forms. An alive Jake is a good Jake.

I switched back to a steel shafted iron set and made a couple birdies as my prep!

Started off swinging bad but eventually found the right swing on the back 9. I was giving my self very realistic par saves just missed the putts. Started to put that together too. My instructor said it would come in 3's and it has been.

Nice bro! Keep that up!

sweet! I'll party with him
I hear he's a hell of a dancer....

I believe I'll like seeing Tmex with steel shafted irons again. And of course the minute you get them back in play you're making birdies...it's simple, that's how you roll. Keep up the amazing work marcawesome!

watching players on the range at the masters via their website. They just showed Zach Johnson getting a new staff bag and he was transporting his stuff from one to the other. Made me think of when I first loaded up the staff bag last year. He made it look much less complex than I did. I'm going to have to prep for that.

Back