TaylorMade Releases RocketBallz RBZ Rescue & Fairway Wood

re the above. I am thinking of a RBZ Rescue Hybrid to maybe replacement my 5W. Would love a 3i replacement. From what I gather the regular would launch a bit higher. Is anybody finding that this is the case? Is the tour that much of a lower launcher than the regular? Would love the Tour 3/18.5°
Anyone compared the 3/19° vs the Tour 3/18.5°? Thoughts? Thanks

Ive yet to even see any of the Tour hybrids in stores. Ive seen some of the RBZ 3W's in TP and Tour versions but not any hybrids.

I didn't notice a huge difference in the fw. It was about a degree in a half to 2. I didn't hit the hybrid though, so couldn't answer anything on that.

So after struggling with the 3H my last couple of times out, I headed off to GS on my lunch break to put it against some other options (in a sim). Disclaimer here is I don't hit hybrids all that well for some reason. I hit it against the RBZ5W, Mashie F5 & M3, VRS 5W (they didn't have the hybo I wanted in S flex), and a Razr X 3H.

Long story short, the RBZ 3H is staying. I may even ponder a 4H in the future...

Long story long, I started out with the RBZ 3H. Took a second to warm up and I was hitting consistently at ~210-220. Next came the other hybrids. Was not able to find a consistent groove with either. I'm sure it's me and not the club, but is what it is. I even went back to the RBZ to make sure I wasn't crazy before moving on. Hit the RBZ and VRS 5W about the same. 220ish, fairly good dispersion. Went back to the RBZ 3H and now that I was good and warm, I was seeing very similar results. Finally went to the Mashie F5. I considered this to be the most legitimate contender going in, based on the feedback here. However, I had a lot of trouble with consistency in this club. Was seeing very similar distance to the other 5Ws, just too few straight shots. Bummer as I really like the look & sound of this one (same with the hybrids). After I was done with all of these, I took some more swings with the RBZ 3H and striped a couple out to the ~230-235 range! Again, on a sim so take with a grain of salt, but was interesting that I was hitting that much further than the 5Ws at the end... May have just been a good day, but I can't see bagging something else after that experience.

Played my first round with the rbz 3&5 today. I hit the 5w about 5 times before I teed off and was smoking it. On a par 5 I had 268 left. I hit it thinking I would have about a 50 yard pitch shot. The range had limited flight practice balls, so it was my first real shot outside with it. I smoked it and had about 20-25 yards left. For sure 20 yards longer than any 5 wood ive ever hit. The wind wasn't blowing and it was about 65 outside. I hit the 3w one time and hit it fat. It went about 220-230 which is my normal 3w r11 distance. I can't wait to hit my range tomorrow and get to know them better.

Played my first round with the rbz 3&5 today. I hit the 5w about 5 times before I teed off and was smoking it. On a par 5 I had 268 left. I hit it thinking I would have about a 50 yard pitch shot. The range had limited flight practice balls, so it was my first real shot outside with it. I smoked it and had about 20-25 yards left. For sure 20 yards longer than any 5 wood ive ever hit. The wind wasn't blowing and it was about 65 outside. I hit the 3w one time and hit it fat. It went about 220-230 which is my normal 3w r11 distance. I can't wait to hit my range tomorrow and get to know them better.

You hit the 5w further than the 3w? 5w with 268 yards to the green and you were 25 yards short, 243 yards. But only hit the 3w 220-230?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You hit the 5w further than the 3w? 5w with 268 yards to the green and you were 25 yards short, 243 yards. But only hit the 3w 220-230?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I smoked the 5 wood, but hit the 3w fat on my one shot so I lost a lot of distance. It was a lie where the ball was about 10 inches above my feet with the 3w. I was surprised it even went as far as it did because it was about as bad as I could hit it, but it wasn't but about 10 shorter than my old 3w. The 5 wood was a perfect lie and I hit it great. Just makes me anxious to see what I can do with the 3 wood when I get used to it. It was the only two times I've hit the clubs outdoors. I'll be able to say more after a good practice session.

I am constantly amazed at how much clubs fall into the "Different Strokes for Different Folks" category. I've been soooo excited about getting the chance to hit the RBZ's and totally convinced that they would just blow everything else out of the water, well I got the chance yesterday and found myself a bit disappointed. I will say that I was hitting it pretty solid and very straight, however I just was not seeing the same distances I get from my TM SF 2.0 3w. Off the deck or tee seemed much the same deal and with a much lower trajectory for me which was a huge surprise. But, my buddy who has the 3w hits it a ton, but has trouble keeping the thing straight. He ever figures this one out he will be way down the fairway with it.

I must add that I need more time with the RBZ 3w as I left the course with one fantastic shot from it. Par 3 187 yards into a very stiff wind around 20+ mph. We each hit several shots and over swinging I was hooking the ball. My last shot was an easy, smooth effort, not going for it at all. The ball shot off like a "Rocket" with a slight draw that landed just short of the flag and sit down about 10 feet above the pin. Shot of the day.

So I've been struggling with the 3h the last couple of rounds. I decided to go and have a round today and work on it. I was laying up to 200ish yards so I could hit the 3h (I even teed off with a 6iron a few times to get to a good hybrid distance). I was determined to make it work.
I finally cracked it. Given I know how long this thing is I was consciously trying to hit it hard. I slowed my swing down and evened out my tempo and lo and behold I was getting well over 200yards again with it. After 8 holes I went back to playing normally. On a long par 5 I was just over 300 yards from the pin which was slightly downhill. I got hold of the hybrid really well and measured it with the GPS at 247 yards. That's longer than what I hit the driver to get to that point. I've also started to be able to consistently draw the ball with it by putting the ball a bit further back in my stance. I'm playing it from the middle of my stance now.

Seriously pondering a 4 and 5h to go with it now.

So I've been struggling with the 3h the last couple of rounds. I decided to go and have a round today and work on it. I was laying up to 200ish yards so I could hit the 3h (I even teed off with a 6iron a few times to get to a good hybrid distance). I was determined to make it work.
I finally cracked it. Given I know how long this thing is I was consciously trying to hit it hard. I slowed my swing down and evened out my tempo and lo and behold I was getting well over 200yards again with it. After 8 holes I went back to playing normally. On a long par 5 I was just over 300 yards from the pin which was slightly downhill. I got hold of the hybrid really well and measured it with the GPS at 247 yards. That's longer than what I hit the driver to get to that point. I've also started to be able to consistently draw the ball with it by putting the ball a bit further back in my stance. I'm playing it from the middle of my stance now.

Seriously pondering a 4 and 5h to go with it now.

Nice. Glad to hear you figured it out. I had a similar moment on the simulator last week. Had some good shots with my RBZ sticks in an otherwise terrible round. A couple of good shots with the hybrid. One where I overshot a 210 yd par 3. One huge bomb with the 3W on 17 ~240 downhill. a couple of other nice shots. I'm definitely pondering a 4H at this point.

re the above. I am thinking of a RBZ Rescue Hybrid to maybe replacement my 5W. Would love a 3i replacement. From what I gather the regular would launch a bit higher. Is anybody finding that this is the case? Is the tour that much of a lower launcher than the regular? Would love the Tour 3/18.5°
Anyone compared the 3/19° vs the Tour 3/18.5°? Thoughts? Thanks

I did compare both, the 3/19° with a regular shaft, and, the Tour 3 with a stiff shaft. The Tour does launch a little lower, and, it has a heavier shaft 85 gr vs. 65. I got better results with the T3, the heavier shaft seems to help my swing. The regular 3 has a bit of a draw bias, and, I did hit it more left that the T3. The T3 is replacing my 5 wood. On the range, I have some real impressive (to me) shots, and, I am much more consistent with it then my R9 5 wood. Its kind of funny, but, with the specs on the T3, it could pass for an old school 5 wood.

They didn't have a T3 with a regular shaft, but, given the results were better what my 5 wood could do. I bought the T3 with the stiff shaft. In comparision to my G10 hybrid 21°, the T3 is an inch longer, so, I carry 2 "3" hybrids now. note: the T3 does feel heavier than my G10.

I have tried the fairway woods, but, they haven't impressed me like the hybrid did. - the shorter shaft compared to a 5 wood (typically 42") helps me to make more consistent contact.

So I brought my RBZ 3-Wood out for the first time today. Over my first couple hits I realized that I loved feel of the ball coming off the clubface. Not only did I love the feel, but the shots were all bombs. I was hitting about 240 carry (which is what I get with my driver). As a fourteen year-old, I think that 265 with roll is pretty darn good for a 3-Wood. I could really feel the ball explode off of the clubface. I would really recommend this club who wants to add the extra 13-18 yards of distance... AND WHO WOULDN'T?!?!?!

I have hybrids from 3 to 6 (adams a12os), a driver, putter, and Irons from 8 to AW.

do I really need a 3 wood?, i do have the Rocketballz 3H (19 degrees) though

Does anyone else find the hybrid heavy? I find that if I hit more than a couple in a row with it at the range I'm gripping harder and are locking up my wrists. This will throw off the rest of my swings.

So, I am VERY interested in getting the Rocketballz 3 wood. Will be checking all of these posts to see how it plays in the field. Interesting tidbit I found while looking online...MyGolfSpy (search for rocketballz 3 wood)...says that Taylormade will actually be increasing the distance on the next generation up to 27 total yards (if not farther). Not sure I can wait that long. :)

In my bag

Driver: :taylormade: Superfast 2.0 (10.5°)/ Matrix Ozick XCon-4.8 Flex S
Fairway Metals: :taylormade: R11 5 Wood / Blur by Fujikura Flex S
Irons: :taylormade: TP MB 4-PW
Gap Wedge: :taylormade: TM TP xFT C-C Wedge Gap, Nippon N.S. Pro 1050 GH 50° Extra Stiff/Strong
Sand Wedge: :taylormade: TM TP xFT, FST KBS Hi-REV 54° (12° Bounce)
Lob Wedge: :taylormade: TM TP xFT, Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH 60° (10° Bounce)
Putter: :odyssey: 2Ball SRT White Hot XG - Belly Putter
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Swing Speed: 114.6 MPH Avg.
Handicap: 10

Last edited:
So, I am VERY interested in getting the Rocketballz 3 wood. Will be checking all of these posts to see how it plays in the field. Interesting tidbit I found while looking online...MyGolfSpy (search for rocketballz 3 wood)...says that Taylormade will actually be increasing the distance on the next generation up to 27 total yards (if not farther). Not sure I can wait that long. :)

In my bag

Gap Wedge: :taylormade: TM TP xFT C-C Wedge Gap, Nippon N.S. Pro 1050 GH 50° Extra Stiff/Strong
Ball:
PTXFjMAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Titleist Pro V1X
Swing Speed: 114.6 Avg.

27 yards longer? Why even carry a driver?

Question; How long did it take you to type that "In my bag" part of the post? It would be much easier to put it in your signature.

What makes the Rocketballz line different from the R11S?

The RBZ line is marketed for increased distance and some custom settings. The R11S is more for ultimate customability with not as much distance and forgivness.

The RBZ hybrids and FW's arent adjustable like the R11S stuff is.

In my bag

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Swing Speed: 114.6 MPH Avg.
Handicap: 10

This is why I am going to wait till next years model comes out and stick with my R11s for now

27 yards longer? Why even carry a driver?

Question; How long did it take you to type that "In my bag" part of the post? It would be much easier to put it in your signature.

This is another factor that I've been hesitant to try the RBZ FW. If it's almost as long as my Driver what's the point. My 2.0 is a monster off the tee and rivals my driver on good days. Couldn't imagine what the RBZ does.

I did compare both, the 3/19° with a regular shaft, and, the Tour 3 with a stiff shaft. The Tour does launch a little lower, and, it has a heavier shaft 85 gr vs. 65. I got better results with the T3, the heavier shaft seems to help my swing. The regular 3 has a bit of a draw bias, and, I did hit it more left that the T3. The T3 is replacing my 5 wood. On the range, I have some real impressive (to me) shots, and, I am much more consistent with it then my R9 5 wood. Its kind of funny, but, with the specs on the T3, it could pass for an old school 5 wood.

They didn't have a T3 with a regular shaft, but, given the results were better what my 5 wood could do. I bought the T3 with the stiff shaft. In comparision to my G10 hybrid 21°, the T3 is an inch longer, so, I carry 2 "3" hybrids now. note: the T3 does feel heavier than my G10.

I have tried the fairway woods, but, they haven't impressed me like the hybrid did. - the shorter shaft compared to a 5 wood (typically 42") helps me to make more consistent contact.

Appreciate the info Bellken. I think I'm still leaning towards the reg 3. But still debating. There is a demo coming up this sat at my course so I hope they have both to try!

I have play tested these two clubs. (fairway and rescue). They were so easy to hit and the feel that I got at impact was so springy. There was definitely extra ball speed as well as a tonne more distance... 19 EXTRA YARDS ON AVERAGE FOR ME!!!! I went from hitting 250-ish to into the high 260s and low 270s... WITH A 3-WOOD AT 14 YEARS-OLD!!! I really don't know how Taylormade is going to be able to improve on the fairway wood or rescue distance wise. I think that maybe a half-inch shorter shaft, though, would be beneficial for better players who do want that extra bit of control, although I could really shape my shots, and felt pretty solid throughout. Anyways, they were so good that I had to get myself these clubs!

Back