What ball did you play your last round and what did you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q-Star white, one ball 18 holes ya baby!!!!

Polara XDS - look for a little write up in the Polara testing forum

Titleist Velocity -

Needed some new balls, been playing with pro v's lately and i do like them so thought i would get some more. On speaking to the pro (Callaway sponsored) he said i should try the velocity as they have been getting good reviews. So i did!

Distance wise they cant be beaten, go for miles. But the down side of this is of course the feel around the green. They feel harder than NXT Tours and dont really spin at all.

If you after a distance ball then they are great, i will happily play with them but will have to adjust my game to the reduced spin around the greens.

Same ball I've played for the last 7 years...ProV1. Why bother with anything else?

Because the compression is too high for some people, it spins too much off of the driver causing side to side dispersion issues and distance loss from too much backspin, it's durability is horrible, and it has lost it's claims of best performance in the wind to B-Stone and Callaway Hex. Both superior balls in the wind I'll admit and I'm not even a Callaway fan at all.

Edit: oh, and too expensive!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Bridgestone E5 2010, with a Noodle as my 'water' ball (when I need to buck up and hit over a pond). I really like the E5, although to be honest, I'm hitting a lot of my long irons and woods so poorly right now, it really doesn't matter what I hit.

I played a couple balls this weekend:

Bridgestone B330: Liked this alot. Nice bite around the green and good off my irons. Wasn't as long with the 3w as I would have liked.
Bridgestone B330S: Long off the irons and really soft. Good around the green as well. Im sure it was decently long off the tee I dont know.
Callaway Tour i(z): Still one of my favorite balls. I wish the B330 was as long as this one because it would be in the bag for the MC if it was. Love it off the tee, irons and good around the green.

I'm torn on the whole B330 line. I'll just have to get to a ball fitting once my driver comes in and go from there. Also like the B330 and B330 as opposed to the RX around the green at times. Although i think the RX line gets up off the wedges quicker.

2012 Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow. My favorite ball I have ever played. In addition, I played the Polara XD and XDS balls for testing purposes. See the testing thread for my opinion.

2012 Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow. My favorite ball I have ever played. In addition, I played the Polara XD and XDS balls for testing purposes. See the testing thread for my opinion.

I'll definitely be checking those out! I know some who really love the QStar. Seems to be a polorizing ball for some I think. Not all mind you.

I am only an 18 handicap, but recently started playing a tour ball. I picked up 3 dozen of the Pentas around Christmas time when they were having their special. I love this ball! I don't think that I have lost any distance and I love the feel of the ball. The spin is excellent around the greens too!

The love affair with the Hex Black continues. Nice driver spin, excellent hybrid and iron control and nice off the putter. The only downside is that they can feel pretty harsh off cast wedges. They just about make a clanging noise with the SM4 vokey's.

I'll definitely be checking those out! I know some who really love the QStar. Seems to be a polorizing ball for some I think. Not all mind you.

About 90% of my love affair with it is performance and 10% is the price.

I tried the new penta tp5 and was surprised . Diffenatly better then the first version . I think I like it better then the hex black tour,but not better then the iz .

I tried the new penta tp5 and was surprised . Diffenatly better then the first version . I think I like it better then the hex black tour,but not better then the iz .

Sorry if I've missed this before, but what are you liking about the iz more than the Hex Black? Do you find the Tp5 longer or straighter than the original, or just more around the greens? Million questions I know!

About 90% of my love affair with it is performance and 10% is the price.

The price is sick. I like that they have a ball there that isnt the trispeed haha. I just dont get along with the trispeed i dont htink.

Sorry if I've missed this before, but what are you liking about the iz more than the Hex Black? Do you find the Tp5 longer or straighter than the original, or just more around the greens? Million questions I know!

The price is sick. I like that they have a ball there that isnt the trispeed haha. I just dont get along with the trispeed i dont htink.

For my game, it is the best ball out there. I have tried ALOT of different balls. Had ball fittings and though I liked the e6, the Q-star, for me, feels better off the driver and around the greens. I am not a high spin player with my wedges and this does that for me perfectly. I cant say enough great things about it. It obviously doesnt work for everyone but for me it is fantastic.

For my game, it is the best ball out there. I have tried ALOT of different balls. Had ball fittings and though I liked the e6, the Q-star, for me, feels better off the driver and around the greens. I am not a high spin player with my wedges and this does that for me perfectly. I cant say enough great things about it. It obviously doesnt work for everyone but for me it is fantastic.

I know what you mean around the greens. I like that it seems to jump higher off the face than the tour balls and lofts a bit softer. Depending on the shot is easier to stop sometimes.

I played the HEX Chrome vs the 2011 RXS (my current ball). Very impressed with the HEX Chrome spin from 130y and in. Where my RXS generally stops dead, the Chrome was taking one hop and sucking back. Distance certainly seemed comparable, though it was my second round of the year and my ball striking isn't where I can assign +/- 5-7 yard distance differences to either ball. I will definitely be playing the Chrome for a few more rounds.

Callaway hx diablo. Good distance and feel, but not much spin. Held a good line in the wind though.

a couple of nike mojo's... it did everything i asked it to do except when one of them decided to commit suicide in one of the ponds

Last 2x's out I tried the Titleist NXT and NXT-S. Both were nice and gave me a little extra distance and accuracy along with the soft feel I'm looking for.

I spent most of the winter playing nxt Tour S. loved the lime with the winter colors. The past two rounds I played the hex chrome and man that is one good ball. Great off the tee and around the green.

The New Tp5 is for sure longer then the penta.The penta was IMHO the shortest premium ball on the market.The Penta (original) Was a good ball,except it's lack of distance off the driver and crazy high spin.It also IMHO felt too soft,almost like a marshmallow.
The TP5 feels better,firmer,driver distance equal with rest.Can't wait to play again to pay attention to green spin.

Now, onto the Callaway ball.

For me the IZ is everything I want in a ball. One hop stop around the greens,good check with mid irons and performs good off driver.The HEx Black performs well off the driver and that's about it for me. Mid irons don't check as well and I don't get one hop stop.I get a bit of release,which is ok cause it's consistent and one can play for it.

The New Tp5 is for sure longer then the penta.The penta was IMHO the shortest premium ball on the market.The Penta (original) Was a good ball,except it's lack of distance off the driver and crazy high spin.It also IMHO felt too soft,almost like a marshmallow.
The TP5 feels better,firmer,driver distance equal with rest.Can't wait to play again to pay attention to green spin.

Now, onto the Callaway ball.

For me the IZ is everything I want in a ball. One hop stop around the greens,good check with mid irons and performs good off driver.The HEx Black performs well off the driver and that's about it for me. Mid irons don't check as well and I don't get one hop stop.I get a bit of release,which is ok cause it's consistent and one can play for it.

Thank you for that!!!! Definitely will be paying attention for your feedback around the greens with the TP5.

I play the iZ right and I'll be having to make the switch for the MC. Agreed with everything you said. Loved how much straighter it was off the tee for me vs the other balls too. Do you think the hex black is a bit softer than you're used too?

Played the Callaway Diablo Tour - wasn't happy with it at all - I wasn't worried about the distance, I just didn't have any feel with it around the greens. Midway through the back 9 switched to an old Titleist I found in my bag. I'm starting to think the only thing Callaway has going for them is the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back