Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Hit the range to work on the 9I and PW. I've been a little worried at the distance I was seeing from the PW based on some shots on the course. Glad I did this because I learned a few things.

Pitching Wedge

Started off hitting the PW. Shot after shot, dead straight and high without ballooning. Zero roll. My target was 114 by laser and most were right on it or a few yards over. Hit one "hot" one that sailed the target by a good margin. The harder I swung the higher they went. Didn't really pick up distance when I overswung.

Decided I'd try to "work" some balls. Setup for a draw and proceeded to hit a pretty good hook for a PW. That was enough for me, it's workable.

Had some fat ones that came up short by 5 yards or so. Hit one way out on the toe and I didn't notice any distance loss, but it was offline to the right.

PW for me is a club that hits to a specific yardage. It looks like 115 will be comfortable with 120 if the conditions allow. I prefer to use the UW for chips/pitches or the 9I for something lower and short. 7I for a links type shot. I'd like to be at a comfortable 120 with the PW, but so long as I know it will go XXX yards I can work it out.

Overall, I like the PW. Like the rest of the set it's accurate and reliable.

9 Iron

Moved to the 9I and hit 3 fatties in a row, there's the range shots I'm used to. Stepped back and took a couple minutes. Picked a different target at 131. Started to hit it like I was hitting the PW, straight and high. First few were to the left, realigned and was hitting them all over my target.

9I was consistently 130 with loss of 5-10 yards when I hit them fat. Did fly the target on a couple shots, but this could be the balls I was hitting. Hit a few that I caught really low. The results were surprisingly good! Little lower flight and the result wasn't too far from hitting it flush. Imagine on the course those would have far less spin and most likely roll out.

Didn't hit the 9I as well as I was hitting the PW. But, I did get what I was looking for and that's nailing down the gap between PW and 9I. 10-15 yards which is just fine in play.

Shot this little video on the sound off the grass. Flip isn't the best for sound and I was hoping to hear more of the impact than whoosh.

Great job everyone. I am still on the fence b/w the i20's and the G20's. Called Blind 9 twice today ready to order, but going back again tonight to make a final decision.

Great work on reviewing every aspect of the irons. I think I just might have to get the i20's. I have never played pings but have always wanted to give them a try. If anyone has a lefty set i'd be very interested.

You guys are doing a great job on the reviews. I like that PW playing 115 with no roll, sounds like it's pretty well dialed in for you, and should be great on approach shots.

Love that video griff even if the sound wasn't entirely picked up.

It's interesting to me that Titleist markets on getting the acoustics of their club spot on while Ping doesn't (to my knowledge anyways), yet they have arguably some of the best sounding clubs at impact in the business right through the line.

Great job everyone. I am still on the fence b/w the i20's and the G20's. Called Blind 9 twice today ready to order, but going back again tonight to make a final decision.

Thanks and good luck on your decision!

You guys are doing a great job on the reviews. I like that PW playing 115 with no roll, sounds like it's pretty well dialed in for you, and should be great on approach shots.

Thanks Danilo. Been a really fun and educational test so far.

Seriously, testers- you are doing an EXCELLENT job on these. Thanks for your effort and all the feedback.

Seriously, testers- you are doing an EXCELLENT job on these. Thanks for your effort and all the feedback.

Thanks ghsace!

Jman, would you consider bagging a 3-iron in the i20's seeing as you are hitting the 4-iron so well?

I'm just back from a 3-day stag party in Madrid and boy am I feeling it. I'm taking a half day Thurs so i'm just hoping that my i20's are in by then.

I really would....and honestly have off and on for the last few weeks. I hope to track one down sometime on the bay for a deal and give it a whirl. Certainly worth a try IMO.

Today I discovered 4i off the tee on short Par 4's to a yardage....buahahaha! More on that upon the write up tomorrow though.

Great work on reviewing every aspect of the irons. I think I just might have to get the i20's. I have never played pings but have always wanted to give them a try. If anyone has a lefty set i'd be very interested.

Thanks fella's! I won't lie and I think Griff and Dave would agree...its been a BLAST so far.

and the winner is...?

OMG! Just stopped in PGA Superstore in Kennesaw on the way back home from a wedding in ATL this weekend and my wife said "how about you pick you out a set for fathers day this June."

Prayers do get answered!! Now to decide between the CB3 and I20s.

Doh! My wife gets home tonight and says " no gifts this year. Let's move!"

Shoulda bought straight off the rack this weekend. :lol

Fun while it lasted :confused2:

She did that on purpose, didn't she?!?!?!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

You could say the set is already on the way and non refundable. Besides, the i20s aren't really a "gift" - I would call them more of a necessity.

She did that on purpose, didn't she?!?!?!

It almost seems that way, yes.

Sorry folks, G20's it is. My iron play isn't as great as I like to think it is. And my typical miss is a fatty and the G20's will help in that regard moreso than the i20's. But thanks to this thread (and JB's review), it opened my eyes to PING. I loved the i20's but I was just so much more consistent with the G20's. It's probably in my best interests to go the G route anyway. I'm just a beginner with less than a year under my belt. I was wanting the i20's but I really don't think I can go wrong with either.

G20 will reduce digging. And as others have said these aren't as forgiving high on the face as they are laterally so probably a good choice!

No worries, I'm sure when you're ready the i25's will be SWEET!

i dont no if its been mentioned but ping have sorted the club heads with the quick wear on them they seem a bit lighter the face but all new i20s will have this now and should help with reducing the wear on them,

Sorry folks, G20's it is. My iron play isn't as great as I like to think it is. And my typical miss is a fatty and the G20's will help in that regard moreso than the i20's. But thanks to this thread (and JB's review), it opened my eyes to PING. I loved the i20's but I was just so much more consistent with the G20's. It's probably in my best interests to go the G route anyway. I'm just a beginner with less than a year under my belt. I was wanting the i20's but I really don't think I can go wrong with either.

No need to apologize. Just hope the thread helped you make the decision. Grats on the new sticks.

i dont no if its been mentioned but ping have sorted the club heads with the quick wear on them they seem a bit lighter the face but all new i20s will have this now and should help with reducing the wear on them,

Thanks for sharing. Maybe in a month or so someone with "updated" I20s can put up some pics so we can see if anything is different.

No need to apologize. Just hope the thread helped you make the decision. Grats on the new sticks.

Thanks for sharing. Maybe in a month or so someone with "updated" I20s can put up some pics so we can see if anything is different.

I've had an update from Ping in regards to mine. It looks like i'll have another week to wait until mine arrive (thats 6 weeks, grrrr). They'll have the new finish so i'll post up pics when i get them. They have been kind enough to give me a Ping gift FOC due to the delay. I'm debating whether I go with a wedge or a 3-iron. I currently use pokey wedges and just had them re-shafted with spinners so might consider a 3-iron. Any thoughts?

I've had an update from Ping in regards to mine. It looks like i'll have another week to wait until mine arrive (thats 6 weeks, grrrr). They'll have the new finish so i'll post up pics when i get them. They have been kind enough to give me a Ping gift FOC due to the delay. I'm debating whether I go with a wedge or a 3-iron. I currently use pokey wedges and just had them re-shafted with spinners so might consider a 3-iron. Any thoughts?

Great news pf. To be honest I'd be inclined to ask in the equipment ponder thread about what to get along with any stipulations. I'm sure everyone would enjoy discussing a free Ping club :D

Edit; are we talking a free i20 clubs or anything you want?

Thanks for the update. I think I'll pull the trigger now. :banana: I've been waiting for their fix for this to hit circulation.

Thanks for the update. I think I'll pull the trigger now. :banana: I've been waiting for their fix for this to hit circulation.

Hmmm, I was right with what they'd be doing. Lighter shade on the face shows less wear, but when you look close it'll look the same, lighter just shows less wear form a distance. I've seen some pic's of the new face shade and to me the darker looks way better. But like I said, my irons are workhorses, who cares if the dark color fades a bit, especially if its on the sweetspot :soldier:.

Back