I got a chance to get out Saturday afternoon and play in some good weather. I played with two balls, either a pro v1 or callaway is the entire round so that was constant. My swing is still a little off but much better than it has been the last few weeks. Everything I hit with the club went further, whether it was right down the middle, a slice or a hook. I know my average drive distance on this course with my G10 and I was amazed, I would say I easily had 10-15 yards more distance on my good shots and that is no exaggeration. There is one par five that I always slice on, no surprise I sliced it again but it still had reasonable distance on it for a slice. I teed another one up just to practice and I hit the longest drive I ever hit on that hole. I can't wait till I get my swing worked out a bit more

Those are really solid numbers. I hit the i20 a bunch and even had a chance to play a couple rounds with it and loved it. I was going to buy it when I decided to do some Trackman #s which ended up basically saying the spin was too low (1900 spin with the PX and 1800 with the 707 both about 11* launch Off 10.5* heads - those numbers are still shocking to me as i thought the results playing it were pretty good). Ended up with the G20 I instead which gave me numbers very close to yours at 2600 spin and 14* launch. Still waiting for delivery to validate in real life. Interestingly, the i20 FW and hybrid #s were better then the G20 for me - another lesson for me in fitting if it all works out.

I stated in the i20 iron thread that I will likely be OEMing this driver soon. My biggest dies ire with a driver is to find one that is forgiving and low spin. I think I found it. I was hitting a 9.5 head and was getting great results with both the PX Black 6.0 and 6.5 shafts and was amazed! I was hitting it high and long! My average numbers were very similar, in fact the 6.0 spun a little less which doesn't make since and I will be going back to get more data, but either way the numbers were bert good with both shafts.

Launch was between 13 and 14.5
Spin was usually in the 2600-3100 range. I was carrying it about 260. My SS was average of 108.

I need to hit the G20, but I was getting a great amount of forgiveness from the i20 and I know the G20 is a spinner driver, so I think I have found the one. I have read that Ping made the i20 to be more forgiving than the G15 which is impressive if true.

That was the most impressive thing for me about this driver. It is crazy low spinning and very forgiving! That and it actually is fairly high launching head and it is a perfect combo for me. I found that the stock shaft was lower launching and lower spin than the black. The black just felt right to me.

Two weeks ago I went to get fitted for a driver and after a few hours, hundreds of ball, and close to a dozen drivers I was fitted into the Ping i20. Going into my fitting I had it narrowed down to four drivers (TM R11S, TM RBZ TP, Cleveland Black, and Cleveland Classic) I wanted to try and I was going to go with the one that fit me best, but that’s not exactly how it worked.

As I started with the fitting, at Golf Galaxy, I was working with an associate who was a certified fitter but after going through the first four drivers I listed above he wasn’t really sure what to do with me. The numbers weren’t adding up, my launch was extremely low and my spin rate was about 3500. I’m not sure how long he had been fitting people but after going through my “top” four drivers he needed help, so he went to get the PGA professional that was there. After taking a quick look at my numbers and the drivers I was hitting he asked me “are you open to different drivers or are these the ones you would like to work with?” Being a person who is all about getting fit to what works for you and not being brand specific guy (thanks to THP) I told him I’m open to anything. Here is the list of drivers I tested that day (most of them with multiple shafts):

Titleist D2
Titleist D3
Cleveland Black
Cleveland Classic
TM R11S
TM RBZ TP
Ping G20
Ping i20
Nike VRS
Callaway RAZR Fit

In the end the Ping i20 10.5 degree with a TFC X-stiff shaft fit me best. I did try the PX shaft in the i20 as well but with it being a little less stiff than the TFC my spin rate increased about 500 RPM. Here are my final numbers (averages) for my driver.

Spin 2750
SS 118
Ball 159
SF 148
Carry 289
Total 315

I have yet to get to play with it but I wanted to write my thoughts on the first range session I had with it. Overall, I’m very impressed by how well I hit it. After playing the R9 Super Tri TP 8.5 degree for the past two years it took a few swings to get used to it.

Address: Setting up with this driver is something I can’t compare to anything I’ve tried or used in the past. The flat black finish and black shaft just makes you feel like your using something that was designed for military use. The first thing that comes to mind when I look down at it is the Stealth. Although it is very simple and sleek design from the top the flat black is something you don’t get sick of looking at. For me getting used to a driver with 2 degrees more loft was very hard, as the clubface always looks open.

Head and Shaft: The first thing I noticed when I picked this club up was the difference in weight from my R9, much lighter. I’m a golfer who loves to know where my club head is in my swing at all times but I had a hard time because it was so light. I did notice if I slowed down my swing to about 90% I had no problem with feeling where my club head was and I’ve come to realize the slower I swing the better it feels in my hands. I didn’t notice a lot of different in the shaft compared to the Aldila VooDoo shaft I was currently playing but at times I did feel the kick point was a little lower.

Feel/Sound: I’m going to say it now…. this is by far the best feeling driver I’ve ever hit. It’s not the way it feels when you hit one on the screws but the way it feels when you miss one. Every time I missed one I could close my eyes and point exactly where I hit it on the face. The response/feedback this club gives me is like nothing I’ve had before and makes my adjustments that much easier! I’ve been a player who likes to feel softness to my driver when I hit and this driver does exactly that! One complaint I’ve heard about the i20 is the sound, a very loud ding or ring, when you hit it but I’ve found it to be very nice compared to others like the Nike VRS. I think it has a great sound when you hit it on the screws, lets just say you know you hit it well.

Distance/ball flight: It’s hard to give you exact distances or compare it to my R9 because I’ve only used it on the range. I can tell you I was landing it just short of the 300 yard marker and had some great roll. Once I have a opportunity to get to the course and actually get some distances with my GPS, then I will post them. The ball flight is much higher then my R9, which is expected, increasing my loft by 2 degrees but it’s not ballooning. It’s still gives me a great piercing ball flight and probably with more optimal launch angle.

Overall I’m very excited to see what this driver has to offer me. I can’t sit here and tell you it’s the greatest driver I’ve ever played but I can tell you it has the potential to be. I apologize for the extremely long write up but just wanted to get a few thought about my first session out there. Once I hit the range a few more times and get it on the course I’ll let you know how it does. Hope it’s worth your time.

Thank You
Bryan

Great write up! The one thing that you touched on here that I also found is how this gets the ball up high, but there is no ballooning. I hit this higher than any driver I have hit before, but since it is so low spinning the ball just goes! I cannot wait until it is mine!

Great write up! The one thing that you touched on here that I also found is how this gets the ball up high, but there is no ballooning. I hit this higher than any driver I have hit before, but since it is so low spinning the ball just goes! I cannot wait until it is mine!

Thanks DT! One thing I didn't include was how easy it was to work the ball but it's something I might touch on when I do an on course write up. I noticed it was easy to work it but it doesn't mean it will work well in playing conditions.

I had thought it was neutral which was one of the things that I was looking for. I think I have been holding it a bit open.

I have to say at set up it can look a bit open but I think it's more the bright white groves on the matte black. But it is a neutral setup.

Tapaway!

I think if you let it sit as it pleases at address it falls open a bit. You have to kind of regrip it to square.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I have to say at set up it can look a bit open but I think it's more the bright white groves on the matte black. But it is a neutral setup.

Tapaway!

I am getting the feel for it, hitting it more consistent now and it just goes for me. One thing that I think is really surprising is how far the ball goes even when I don't hit it well.

The i20 definitely corrects well for off center hits as long as the face is headed on the right path. Cut across, pull, push the ball just a tad in the wrong direction and you'll find out just how "workable" this driver is.

FORE!!!

aefdc7d2-426b-48da.jpg

Look at all those center mass marks. This i20 driver is getting pwned!!!

aefdc7d2-426b-48da.jpg

That is impressive!

I was a little worried the club would get beat up pretty bad being black and all but it holds up well.

aefdc7d2-426b-48da.jpg

Very nice! Must feel amazing!

Tapaway!

after many trips to golf galaxy this is getting closer to getting in my bag . like others have said it just feels great when hit .. better then my supertri,better then the r11s,r11,rbz,910d2 and sounds better to me as well. there is a demo day this saturday and im hoping the reps there have some other shaft options to try it in then the two stock options. ready to see how it performs outdoors in real time.

Just curious - did you try the G20. I hit the I20 really well and was ready to buy until the Ping fitter put the G20 in my hands. No saying its better for you just that I'd suggest you compare it if you haven't already. Apologies if I skimmed this one...

after many trips to golf galaxy this is getting closer to getting in my bag . like others have said it just feels great when hit .. better then my supertri,better then the r11s,r11,rbz,910d2 and sounds better to me as well. there is a demo day this saturday and im hoping the reps there have some other shaft options to try it in then the two stock options. ready to see how it performs outdoors in real time.

Just curious - did you try the G20. I hit the I20 really well and was ready to buy until the Ping fitter put the G20 in my hands. No saying its better for you just that I'd suggest you compare it if you haven't already. Apologies if I skimmed this one...

no i havent tried it just yet. im sure i will give it a go at demo day saturday. i would have to get past the looks but if it performs better then so be it.

PING i20 Testing

PING i20 Testing

Today I tested out the PING i20, club is an absolute bomber :bomb:. My best numbers I put up were: Club head speed 127 mph, Ball Speed 178 mph, Carry 315 yards, Total Distance 335 yards. I was averaging around 2600 RPMs which is really good for me, I am usually around 3300 RPMs and I was averaging between 11.5-10.5 degrees of launch and usually I am around 15 degrees. It was 9.5 degrees and had the TFC 707D X-Stiff in it. I definitely recommend everyone to try it, the response of the club face is awesome, not to mention how sweet looking the club is at address . Definitely going to starting saving up to buy mine.

You numbers make my twig and berries wilt.

Merged with existing thread on the topic.

Dr. Teeth which driver do u think is better for you the i20 or the Cleveland Classic?

Here is my .02 worth of input.
I have been using a TM R9 supertri for a couple of years but haven't been very good with it since my knee surgery last year. So I had been looking around a little this spring and playing with some of the TM new stuff but they weren't any better. I went to Golfsmith and hit all the lefty drivers, the ping i20 felt best but shafts choices were very limited. So when the Ping fitting van made a stop at the club I wanted to try the I20. They fitted me with a 10.5 with black PX 6.0 and I hit the demo great, good numbers etc. It blew away my supertri.

The club was ordered Friday afternoon and I had it in my hand the next Tuesday. Of course, that club didn't hit as good as the demo, probably because of my heavier grip. Ping didn't weight the driver to compensate for the grip and it measured at D-0 swing weight. Fortunately we have a good club fitter at the club and he has been working with me. After using it on a four day golf trip, we started adding the lead tape a little more each day. Now (two weeks in) it is hitting pretty good, much more consistent than with the supertri. The distance is more consistent but not as long as the longest drives with supertri. It is keeping me in the short grass and that is a pretty good trade-off.

Dr. Teeth which driver do u think is better for you the i20 or the Cleveland Classic?

This is a great question and is what has been on my mind since Saturday. I had previous,y decided that it was going to be other the i20 or the G20, but after I played two rounds where I was super accurate with the Cleveland Classic and very long, I honestly don't know that anything is going to beat it. So I am going to try and get some more time on the LM with these three and come away with a decision, but right now it is looking like the Classic has the edge.

This is not the driver you seek Chunky.

Back