KBS Tour R+ vs Project X 5.5 iron shafts

TylerD

Reaction score
Handicap
So I need a little help. I am wondering if anyone can help pick one of these shafts from their experience. I like them both and they seem to be similar. Last monitor numbers with a six iron were 104 mph club head speed and I am a high handicapper. Any help is greatly appreciated.

So I need a little help. I am wondering if anyone can help pick one of these shafts from their experience. I like them both and they seem to be similar. Last monitor numbers with a six iron were 104 mph club head speed and I am a high handicapper. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Good lord that's a fast 6 iron. I would think the px 6.0 s would be more up your alley. Defiantly not the kbs r+ though, even with a slow transition I wouldn't think those could hold up to your swing.

Whoa. That is a really fast 6 iron swing speed. Are you sure either of these shafts will hold up to that?

Good lord that's a fast 6 iron. I would think the px 6.0 s would be more up your alley. Defiantly not the kbs r+ though, even with a slow transition I wouldn't think those could hold up to your swing.

I don't really know how accurate that swingspeed is. I was testing out different shafts at my local golf shop and that was the fastest swing speed I had with a DG R300 which I was told is similar to these two shafts stiffness wise. I also swung a KBS in stiff and a DG S300 which were a little slower.

Yeah i dont think that'll hold up lol. Although I was hitting a PX 5.0 (non flighted) and he said low to mid 90's would be ok just depending how aggressive you are. I'd definitely go hit again, probably somewhere else and have a local fitter look at you hitting some balls outside.

Yeah i dont think that'll hold up lol. Although I was hitting a PX 5.0 (non flighted) and he said low to mid 90's would be ok just depending how aggressive you are. I'd definitely go hit again, probably somewhere else and have a local fitter look at you hitting some balls outside.

I will have to go hit some more for this guy. You guys got me thinking that maybe that six iron swing might be high. The fitter just noticed that my numbers were the best with the DG R300.

I will have to go hit some more for this guy. You guys got me thinking that maybe that six iron swing might be high. The fitter just noticed that my numbers were the best with the DG R300.

yeah man, it could've been a misread or something. Because even if youarent super aggressive, I'm thinking a 104 mph SS on the R300 is going to lead to some crazy dispersion. At least I'd think.

Yeah, you need something stouter than either of those shafts with that swing speed Michael. To answer your question though, I think the PX 5.5's will play a little bit stouter than the R+ KBS Tours.

That number is way off Tyler, you've seen my swing and my best was 92 with a 6 iron. Averaged 89, what did you think of the CTapers?

Tap-in Talking

If those were the recommended shafts, I think your SS may actually be more like 84. The important thing regardless of SS number is obviously finding that shaft that fits your swing the best. I have played the PX 5.0 with good success and am awaiting the arrival of my KBS Tour's before I can really offer a comparison.

From what I have gathered on the forum, most *seem* to prefer the KBS in a direct comparison due to the increased feel they get from the shaft.

I'm gathering now that the 104 with the DG R300 is probably off. I know with the DG S300 and KBS Tour it was about 10 mph slower. I think the thing he noticed though, was according to the Ping monitor system he was using the R300 was the best for me as far as launch, ball speed, and spin, but I'm now not totally convinced about the regular flex shafts. I thought your clubs were nice though. I would have to hit a few more balls with them though to really know I suppose.

I'm gathering now that the 104 with the DG R300 is probably off. I know with the DG S300 and KBS Tour it was about 10 mph slower. I think the thing he noticed though, was according to the Ping monitor system he was using the R300 was the best for me as far as launch, ball speed, and spin, but I'm now not totally convinced about the regular flex shafts. I thought your clubs were nice though. I would have to hit a few more balls with them though to really know I suppose.

If they were giving you the ebst results what did you not like about them?

I would test the different flexes outside if you can. I just went through a whole bunch of testing and one LM session was telling me the reg flex CFS shaft on my i20s were giving the best dispersion, but because I've always played stiff I course tested the reg vs stiff vs KBST stiff to make sure before pulling the trigger and the reg did not hold up in real life.

To your original question, I've owned both PX5.5s and stiff (not R+) KBSTs - unfortunately not side by side and a few years apart, though - and I really like both frankly. PX maybe a bit lower and a touch better dispersion (don't hit them left on occasion like I do the KBSTs I have). I honestly don't notice the feel difference a lot of others seems to notice. If it were a toss up between the two and I had to choose today I would probably go R+ KBSTs just because I have them now.

It sounds more like ball speed was at 104mph which would be about right for reg+.

If they were giving you the ebst results what did you not like about them?

Well the full story is I went into the golf store and asked to hit a bunch of different iron shafts. The guy said "well I have a fitting in ten minutes, but we can hit a few real quick." I told him what I was interested in so we tried the KBS and the S300. Then he pulled out a DG R300 to try. So in about ten minutes that was the best choice. I really appreciate everyones help on here. I'm going to go back and take a little more time with him and figure out what will work bet for me. Thanks for everyone's help.

It sounds more like ball speed was at 104mph which would be about right for reg+.

You might be on to something here. MaybeI just read the numbers wrong.

So I am happy to report after an awesome demo day I attended, the Ping Rep let me hit the i20's with a bunch of different shafts and found the Project X 6.0 to be the best one for me. It's weird because I walked away from the Taylormade Rep and he had me in a KBS Tour Regular Flex. But after spending 1 1/2 hours with the Ping guy we found the right one. Project X here I come.

Sounds like you did it the right way - congrats.

So I am happy to report after an awesome demo day I attended, the Ping Rep let me hit the i20's with a bunch of different shafts and found the Project X 6.0 to be the best one for me. It's weird because I walked away from the Taylormade Rep and he had me in a KBS Tour Regular Flex. But after spending 1 1/2 hours with the Ping guy we found the right one. Project X here I come.

Back