Longest drive Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly, I can only hit my driver about 220 yards, my M2 Mashie however is going 240+. I know I have a slice with my driver but can I really be losing 60-70 yards because of it?

I'm around that high above sea level. But it's more humid here. I've heard humidity makes the air heavier, which takes a little distance away.

I thought it was the other way around, humid air is less dense? Hotter air, certainly is less dense. We get far more distance in summer than winter here. Summer is hot and humid, winter is cold air and less humid. I can't say with certainty though that humidity plays much of a part.

By far the bigger factor is elevation. I am not a real big hitter but playing in Northern Idaho and Montana the ball was flying crazy distances (for me.) At Coeur D'Alene resort, two par 4s 450+ yds, one into the wind and one with the wind, back tees, driver 8I to green into the wind, driver PW with the wind to about 6 ft. Here in Ga (elevation 700 ft), if I hit the driver really good, it may yield 285, holes those distances would mean long irons into the green.

Ok, so I'm bored and decided to do a little research about altitude and humidity:

According to this article: http://www.pga.com/seniorpga/2010/news/altitude.cfm

"As a starting point," Aoyama said, "one can estimate the percentage distance increase (compared to sea level) by multiplying the elevation (in feet) by .00116. For example, at 5,000 feet elevation the increase is about 5,000 times .00116, which equals 5.8 percent. Thus, a golfer who drives the ball 250 yards in L.A. might see an increase of 14.5 yards (5.8 percent of 250) when playing in Denver. The percent increase will be less for players with lower swing speeds and/or when hitting a shorter shot."

According to this link: http://www.probablegolfinstruction.com/PGINewsletter/news06-27-05.htm

"Humidity doesn't play a huge role, but temperature does. Take a look at the table below. Differences in distances for various clubs differ by a yard or less for different humidities. But the distance differences for temperature are quite significant. The distances in the table are for carry and are measured in yards."

40% Humidity​

90% Humidity​

10 Celcius​

20 Celcius​

30 Celcius​

10 Celcius​

20 Celcius​

30 Celcius​

Driver​

248​

251​

254​

249​

251​

255​

5-iron​

169​

172​

174​

169​

172​

175​

9-iron​

117​

120​

123​

117​

121​

124​

Thanks, Kelly!

After a frost delay on friday I hit about 290 yard drive according to gps(I have been averaging 240 plus the last month), maybe cause I warmed up with dry swings for an hour? I don't know, but I was super focused because by this time there were 30 golfers behind us trying to get out there on the first T, temps were in the 50s.

flat hole with no wind- 287.

I'm not 100% sure of length, but (with a bit of a wind assist and hard fairways) I've many times driven the green on a par 4 on my course that is 330 to the middle, and the green isn't more than 90 feet deep so should have been around 315-320. Without a wind assist, I have a 602 yard straight hole on a course I play occasionally that I once I had about 90 yards left for my 3rd shot after going driver/3wood. My 3 wood is pretty consistently 230 so my drive there would have to have been ~280 of nearly pure carry (lands on an upslope).

just hit a 280 yard bomb yesterday.

Got one today that went 245
Felt so good to finally hit a decent drive onto the fw

Finally got my GPS out to track drives tonight.. Course is getting harder so I am actually getting roll rather than bouncing and spinning back a yard or two..

here's my top for the night.

940df80a.jpg

Others were 290, 291, 301, and a missed fade 250. I am quite pleased. I thought my averages were more like 270 or so.

Nice driving, Canadan!

Finally got my GPS out to track drives tonight.. Course is getting harder so I am actually getting roll rather than bouncing and spinning back a yard or two..

here's my top for the night.

940df80a.jpg

Others were 290, 291, 301, and a missed fade 250. I am quite pleased. I thought my averages were more like 270 or so.

Hah! My grandma hits 322 yard half swing warm up lob wedge shots in the middle of the winter with high compression balls.

Put a club on that ball why don't you!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Big tee ball dan, kinda nice to get some roll in april around here doesn't surprise me though u murder the ball off the tee.....was that longer than the one you and cg13 gps'd last year (I think at northstar)?

Big tee ball dan, kinda nice to get some roll in april around here doesn't surprise me though u murder the ball off the tee.....was that longer than the one you and cg13 gps'd last year (I think at northstar)?

Yeah I think that one was 309. This was on the first hole at Oasis so there's a bit of elevation from tee to landing area, but no helping wind last night.

Yeah I think that one was 309. This was on the first hole at Oasis so there's a bit of elevation from tee to landing area, but no helping wind last night.

That's awesome dude. I've seen your divots so I kinda figured anyone who could take a 3 foot divot, can hit a 300+ yard drive haha.

Beautiful Downhill hole...I hit one 282 last year.

That's awesome dude. I've seen your divots so I kinda figured anyone who could take a 3 foot divot, can hit a 300+ yard drive haha.

haha thanks man. What's funny is that I am really having trouble de-lofting my irons right now and sending them extreeeemely high into the air (23-25* launch on the sim), so two holes later I hit a 6 iron 149 yards (my standard is more like 175-180). And no, I did not take a picture of that distance mark hahahaha!

Last week I hit two consecutive long drives with my R11; 325 on 1 hole and then 310 both were moderately flat holes, light wind.

Longaberger...par 5 505

Downhill, drive GPS at 374 with 2 witnesses, 131 to go

We wont talk about the wedge into the green, lets just say it involved my ball and H2O

I hit one 290 on Saturday. Easy dogleg left par 4. I hit the drive perfectly with a little 15 yard draw and it disappeared behind the corner of a tree. My friend said "Well played Jack. That one's probably sitting nice around the 100 marker." It was a 350 yard hole. So we walked and walked (after he hit his shot) and it was nowhere to be found. Decided to keep walking and saw it sitting nicely about exactly in the middle of the fairway, 60 yards out. That one might be remembered as the last great drive of the FT-i era for me.

I hit one 250 today. Here is the kicker: It hit a tree and bored through for another 40 yards and ended up dead center of the fairway.

Biggest drive I've had was a 315 yard-er downwind on a 328 yard Par 4 3rd at Desert Dunes in Palm Springs. Hit the green side bunker on the left. Flopped a SW and made birdie. Must have been at least a 2 club downwind. :rockon:

I PROMISE I am being truthful, I will even post my SS if I have to. My longest drive ever was at Lonnie Poole Golf Course in Raleigh. It it slightly downhill and doglegs left. I hit it 387, but it didn't make that much of a difference because the hole is a 552 yard par 4. There is a special spot that you can hit in the fairway and it will roll FOREVER, and I will keep it a secret :cool:

Played on Thursday and hit one 345.
Spoiler
4WCey.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back