Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

I just got off the phone with my wife. She is in!

YES! We'll have 3 of us out there working on our games. I love it.

Go right ahead dude, that's dumb....you could be playing golf with us instead. :wink:
Man this is the best prep day ever!!!!! I'm gonna call my wife.

I eat a lot of Messican food dude. Maybe as much as you. I love it. But the tortilla's and tortilla chips have to go. We ate messican last night and I had fajitas, I just didn't put the good stuff in a tortilla and I slathered some hot sauce and pico all over the good stuff. It was just fine. Different, but fine. The beer part is going to be tough, but I can do it.
Funny there aren't that many fat Mexican's around....you should add more spice to it...get that stuff flowing better.

Maybe try eating Chinese food...there are NO fat Chinese people.

Played 7 holes yesterday before the rain opened up. Had 2 pars, 1 birdie, 3 bogeys and one double bogey. Not my best but not bad for this early in my golf season. Wind was punishing off the tee. I putted well thought which was a great sign.

I eat a lot of Messican food dude. Maybe as much as you. I love it. But the tortilla's and tortilla chips have to go. We ate messican last night and I had fajitas, I just didn't put the good stuff in a tortilla and I slathered some hot sauce and pico all over the good stuff. It was just fine. Different, but fine. The beer part is going to be tough, but I can do it.

Once you find a good hot sauce and guac, its easy to do without tortillas lol. You've inspired me TC!

Played 7 holes yesterday before the rain opened up. Had 2 pars, 1 birdie, 3 bogeys and one double bogey. Not my best but not bad for this early in my golf season. Wind was punishing off the tee. I putted well thought which was a great sign.
Glad you're getting out there buddy, keep it up!

Once you find a good hot sauce and guac, its easy to do without tortillas lol. You've inspired me TC!

Yes! Vice versa buddy. Well, except when it comes to driver shafts. Other than that, you kind of complete me.

camera skills are better than golf skills right now :act-up:

YES! We'll have 3 of us out there working on our games. I love it.

Go right ahead dude, that's dumb....you could be playing golf with us instead. :wink:

Glad you're getting out there buddy, keep it up!

Thanks man. It is still early for us here. The courses didn't open last year until next week. I have school vacation this coming week and I plan on playing every single day and getting to the range. Hopefully I will have a lot more updates, as next week is when my official golf season starts.

Yes! Vice versa buddy. Well, except when it comes to driver shafts. Other than that, you kind of complete me.

LOL. We have to be different in some spots buddy. You had me at hello TC.

Lots of short game practice this afternoon, brought to you by Cleveland and Never Compromise.

aefea2f2-a28a-132f.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

Very nice Ary!!!

Well I went out and played 18 today and my goal was to score. I was both succesful and unsuccesful at this task. I was taking aggressive lines off the tee, and firing at almost every flag and this left me with 10 gir's and I had 8 putts for birdie within 12 feet.

Here was the problem, I only made two of these putts. I also had two really poor chips that should have been much closer to the flag. I was happy that I put all my putts right now my lines, but I either had them misread, or I just hit them too hard, or too soft. I need to spend some more time on the putting green to say the least, especially now that all the sanding and punching is done for the season and the greens are now in perfect shape for the rest of the year.

I shot an 80, 41, 39 and I am happy with that score as it is my lowest score this season, and my play from tee to green was great. After some iffy rounds I have found my game again, but I video'ed some swings so that I can look at them in more detail.

Very nice Breeze! I just rolled every type of insert in a putter in the Callaway line...... Wow.

Very nice Breeze! I just rolled every type of insert in a putter in the Callaway line...... Wow.
I'll meet you over in the Odyssey putter line thread so we can talk.

Okay, my prep for the day was the Swing Evaluation at GolfTec....my first time at GolfTec and I was pretty impressed.

After warming up and hitting a few shots, he put the sensor belts on my waist and shoulders, sync'd the cameras and sensors and we started off. I hit about 20 shots all with my 7 iron and then he stopped me and we went over the initial swings to find all the faults.

Suprisingly, I was within ranges on just about everything at setup and halfway back...that's where it starts to get ugly. Seems like I am swinging more with my arms than anything so my swing is very steep with not near enough shoulder or hip rotation. Amazingly I am getting the club into a pretty good spot at the top..but then it gets ugly again....OVER THE TOP....like I didn't know that...but what I find out was it was being caused by the lack of shoulder and hip turn.\

In other words, because I wasn't turning far enough back, I really had to use my arms and hands to get the clubhead back into a hittable spot and this is where we find the problem....because I am such a arm swinger and a "handsy" player, he said that I could be hitting everything great for a while, but then get my timing off just a second or two and I start hitting fat shots and slices and pull hooks.

I was like...YES!!! Thats it!!! I never really understood why I could hit the ball so well for days and then go to crap just like that! sometimes mid round! And it's all because my timing is a little off.

So he had my starting with the club halfway back, even with the ground and then using nothing but my shoulders and hips...leave my hands there and turn and hit the ball...it was weird at first but I hit a few okay.

Then we moved back to a full swing but he told me to swing at 40% of normal and try to pause and count, 100 and 1 before starting down and work on starting with my hips...once again, awkward at first but then I started puring the ball....pow, pow, pow....and I was only swinging half speed! I hit 3 in a row at half speed that had 10 more yards carry distance than my original swings before we started!!

So, He will send me some drills and I am going to sign up for a series of lessons....range session tomorrow morning and 27 holes or more tomorrow after lunch!

Nice TbT! Those are pretty cool to look at man. Glad you got a swing eval in.

Very nice Ary!!!

Well I went out and played 18 today and my goal was to score. I was both succesful and unsuccesful at this task. I was taking aggressive lines off the tee, and firing at almost every flag and this left me with 10 gir's and I had 8 putts for birdie within 12 feet.

Here was the problem, I only made two of these putts. I also had two really poor chips that should have been much closer to the flag. I was happy that I put all my putts right now my lines, but I either had them misread, or I just hit them too hard, or too soft. I need to spend some more time on the putting green to say the least, especially now that all the sanding and punching is done for the season and the greens are now in perfect shape for the rest of the year.

I shot an 80, 41, 39 and I am happy with that score as it is my lowest score this season, and my play from tee to green was great. After some iffy rounds I have found my game again, but I video'ed some swings so that I can look at them in more detail.

Great playing CB, I have a feeling that you'll be breaking 80 regularly with the amount of time that you put into your game and the progress that you've already made. I see that you've gotten down to a single-digit handicap, I need to catch up with you!

I did a lot of "one ball" practice around the greens today. I wanted to try to simulate on-the-course conditions, so I was only using one ball, and picking different holes on the practice green to go at. Then I would take one of my wedges (50, 54, 58) to get onto the green, then try to hit the putt. It actually got pretty fun because it forced me to play different shots with different clubs, and also to not get as comfortable as I would have been hitting 5 shots to the same pin with the same club. I also did the same thing on the putting green after that, just took one ball and tried to 2-putt every time (if I didn't make the first putt) and went through my preshot routine on every putt. I'm rolling the ball really well with the new putter right now, I'm really happy about that.

Great playing CB, I have a feeling that you'll be breaking 80 regularly with the amount of time that you put into your game and the progress that you've already made. I see that you've gotten down to a single-digit handicap, I need to catch up with you!

I did a lot of "one ball" practice around the greens today. I wanted to try to simulate on-the-course conditions, so I was only using one ball, and picking different holes on the practice green to go at. Then I would take one of my wedges (50, 54, 58) to get onto the green, then try to hit the putt. It actually got pretty fun because it forced me to play different shots with different clubs, and also to not get as comfortable as I would have been hitting 5 shots to the same pin with the same club. I also did the same thing on the putting green after that, just took one ball and tried to 2-putt every time (if I didn't make the first putt) and went through my preshot routine on every putt. I'm rolling the ball really well with the new putter right now, I'm really happy about that.
Thanks Ary, I have been working really hard on my game, but have a long way to go. Yes my HC is single digits right now, but thats because of some low rounds, combined with some really high rounds. I would say I can play like a single digit HC'er right now, but I can also play like an 18 hc'er lol, just not consistent right now but that will change.

As for your practice I love that drill, and it sounds like you are really going to get your short game in shape. After just two short game sessions this week, I already feel a lot better about my short game, so that is what I am going to be concentration on from now on.

Wonder what my handicap would be in I converted it to metric?

Okay, my prep for the day was the Swing Evaluation at GolfTec....my first time at GolfTec and I was pretty impressed.

After warming up and hitting a few shots, he put the sensor belts on my waist and shoulders, sync'd the cameras and sensors and we started off. I hit about 20 shots all with my 7 iron and then he stopped me and we went over the initial swings to find all the faults.

Suprisingly, I was within ranges on just about everything at setup and halfway back...that's where it starts to get ugly. Seems like I am swinging more with my arms than anything so my swing is very steep with not near enough shoulder or hip rotation. Amazingly I am getting the club into a pretty good spot at the top..but then it gets ugly again....OVER THE TOP....like I didn't know that...but what I find out was it was being caused by the lack of shoulder and hip turn.\

In other words, because I wasn't turning far enough back, I really had to use my arms and hands to get the clubhead back into a hittable spot and this is where we find the problem....because I am such a arm swinger and a "handsy" player, he said that I could be hitting everything great for a while, but then get my timing off just a second or two and I start hitting fat shots and slices and pull hooks.

I was like...YES!!! Thats it!!! I never really understood why I could hit the ball so well for days and then go to crap just like that! sometimes mid round! And it's all because my timing is a little off.

So he had my starting with the club halfway back, even with the ground and then using nothing but my shoulders and hips...leave my hands there and turn and hit the ball...it was weird at first but I hit a few okay.

Then we moved back to a full swing but he told me to swing at 40% of normal and try to pause and count, 100 and 1 before starting down and work on starting with my hips...once again, awkward at first but then I started puring the ball....pow, pow, pow....and I was only swinging half speed! I hit 3 in a row at half speed that had 10 more yards carry distance than my original swings before we started!!

So, He will send me some drills and I am going to sign up for a series of lessons....range session tomorrow morning and 27 holes or more tomorrow after lunch!

Wonder what my handicap would be in I converted it to metric?
I was about to comment about the great work you did today, but now I'm just gonna tell you to sod off.

I was about to comment about the great work you did today, but now I'm just gonna tell you to sod off.

Lol, maybe I just need a TMEX handicap

Back