Lightweight driver

Dan637

Reaction score
Handicap
20+
I've been using a Nike Sasquatch Sumo Square driver for about 6 years now and am looking for something new. I'm considering one of the new lightweight drivers as I'm losing distance with age. The reviews look good on these clubs, I've read few bad, mostly loss of direction. Is there any one of them that is better? I tend to rely on reviews, being left handed and living in northern N.Y. makes it hard to find clubs to demo. I'm 47 yeas old with a driver swing speed in the low 90's. I've never had a directional problem with the driver, but I've noticed a loss of distance and am hoping to regain at least some. I've read reviews on lighter weight and longer shafted Cleveland drivers with the Miyazaki shaft and think they may be the best. The CG Black was at the top of my list until I saw the price tag. Right now I find on ebay good prices on the XL series. Is the CG Black so much technologically better than the XL that I should wait another year for the price to drop before purchasing or would ther be no difference in purchasing the XL now? Is there another driver better, TM Burner or Burner 2.0, Adams UL 9088. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Hi there,
If you like the Cleveland I MUST recommend last year's Cleveland launcher series to you. They are terrific clubs, and if you order one preowned on global golf, enter the code LEFT25 and you'll get 25% off a preowned club.
It's funny because I was thinking the Cleveland right from your first sentence, then you asked about it in your post. For the money, you can't beat it. It's a great club but the demand isn't there. The Nike stuff sells the same way: cheap. 99% of the time I get clubs that I've hit that don't have great demand, but play terrific. The Cleveland lineup from last year is a winner! I'd recommend to you either the 270 or the 290 with a stiff shaft.

Cleveland immediately popped into my head also. I think something like a 290 w/ a 6433 or similar shaft would benefit you. Unless you have an extremely slow swing speed, I'd stay away from the 270s.

Cleveland immediately popped into my head also. I think something like a 290 w/ a 6433 or similar shaft would benefit you. Unless you have an extremely slow swing speed, I'd stay away from the 270s.

why?
So you would also stay away from the Cleveland Black?

Check out the dxi superlight too.

Adams Speedline F11 - you can buy a new one fairly cheap and it is a lighter driver that really puts a charge into the ball. I liked it better than the newer F12. Also look at the F11 3W if you are looking for one, both are great clubs and easy to hit and you can buy both new for about the same total cost as one of the newer drivers.

There is a golf shop in Florence, KY that has the 2011 Cleveland TL310, SL290, and XL270 all on clearance for $119.99. www.golfexchange.com I have bought one of each and have been goofing around with them.

Why do you think that? My swing speed is ~100-105, sometimes a little more, and I love my 270. It gave me the highest overall ball speed (145-150) and tightest dispersion compared to all the others I tried last season, and I tried a lot of drivers. Not trying to contradict, just honestly curious why you think that.

To the OP: I haven't hit the new Black driver or the Classic so I can't compare them, but I hope to very soon. I would be surprised however, if they could outperform the UL Launcher series from last year by a significant margin. I can speak to how well I like the Ultralight launcher series from last year. They are an absolute steal with the stock c kua shafts.

My first real driver was a Burner superfast (version 1) I bought it off amazon for 130 now its probably cheaper. I noticed that I got a high launching ball and the ball was amazingly fast off the face and it seemed like almost every drive was a 300. I loved it so much but then the R11 came out. . .It was a 460cc driver and was one of the lightest drivers of its year and the distance really showed. It also had a huge face and a huge sweet spot. It was more on the awkward side of looks, if you like traditional looking equipment it might be weird for you but the price was right at the time. I've also had experience with the 07 burner which was great as well i'm pretty sure you can find any of these burner driver (07, super fast 1.0 and 2.0) for cheaper now.

why?
So you would also stay away from the Cleveland Black?

Personally, yes I would stay away from the Black. I find it to be simply too light for anyone over 90 SS.

Personally, yes I would stay away from the Black. I find it to be simply too light for anyone over 90 SS.

I have to agree with you, that's another reason I had to get rid of my lightweight driver, my swing speed was way to fast for it so sometimes the head wouldn't catch up to the shaft and the face was wide open I hated it sometimes.

I just bought a demo Cleveland SL290 from Global Golf on Ebay last month. I made a best offer of $89 for one in VG condition and it came with the sticker still on it. It looked like it had been hit about 3 times at most. I now own two in 10.5* and 12*. We have sold several of these drivers at our course and the guys really like them. Both my boys have the Cleveland TL310 drivers and love them. Last year's models are XL270, SL290, and TL310. They are each very different and I highly recommend you demo before you buy as you may hit one terrible and the next one really well. That's what happened to me. FWIW, I hit the SL290 better than the Cleveland Black.

I have to agree with you, that's another reason I had to get rid of my lightweight driver, my swing speed was way to fast for it so sometimes the head wouldn't catch up to the shaft and the face was wide open I hated it sometimes.

That is not an issue with total weight, but an issue with proper shaft fitting.

Have you hit the Cleveland Black? I had no trouble hitting it and I have a swing speed over 90.

My SS is over 90 and it is quite possibly the best driver I have ever played. It fits me quite well.

I went to a demo day two weeks ago, I really wanted to try the classics outside on the range and they were more than happy to oblige. I left unimpressed (and am a Cleveland homer), but was crushing the Black in stock stiff. I actually wanted to avoid trying it becuase of the myth spreading about super slow swing speeds, but the rep convinced me to. Glad he did.

Have you hit the Cleveland Black? I had no trouble hitting it and I have a swing speed over 90.

Yes, I have hit the Cleveland Black. I guess I personally don't like lightweight drivers then.

My SS is over 90 and it is quite possibly the best driver I have ever played. It fits me quite well.

Man oh Man you hit that driver well. I still remember that 2nd hole par 5 where you just nutted one. I hit a good drive and we are normally fairly close in distance and you carried over the stuff on the right side of the fairway and were past me by 15 or so yards.

I could be wrong, but don't think that has anything to do with head weight, but more the shaft flex profile.

Edit: Never mind, didn't see JB's post. Should have read the rest of the thread.

Man oh Man you hit that driver well. I still remember that 2nd hole par 5 where you just nutted one. I hit a good drive and we are normally fairly close in distance and you carried over the stuff on the right side of the fairway and were past me by 15 or so yards.
I remember that one as well, and #2 there is a tough hole. I remember saying a few times that day, "Thats the best driver i've ever hit." It is taking everything I have to wait til after Demo Day to put one in my bag.

To the OP, having hit many of the the light drivers from Cleveland, my opinion is that the Black is well ahead of the others. I would highly suggest trying one out, whether it's a demo or on a sim/launch monitor. I am sure you will be happy that you did. If you have a minute, check out the Forum review of the Black Driver from some of the guys here on THP, they did a fantastic job and will be more than happy to answer other questions you may have. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...d-CG-Black-Driver-Forum-Testing-Review-Thread

There is a golf shop in Florence, KY that has the 2011 Cleveland TL310, SL290, and XL270 all on clearance for $119.99. www.golfexchange.com I have bought one of each and have been goofing around with them.
My local shop is selling "demos" still in plastic of 89.99

I can whole-heartedly disagree with that thought and have data to back it up.

--
Tapatalk2

You may not like the CG Black, but you owe it to yourself to try it if you are looking for a lightweight driver, it is a phenomenal club. If price is an issue and you are looking to save a little cash, when yes, the 270/290 or now the TMB2.0 or Adams ... the point being, you may rule out something that works great for you.

That is not an issue with total weight, but an issue with proper shaft fitting.

Makes sense, thanks! I guess I got lucky when I got my R11 then!

Hi there,
If you like the Cleveland I MUST recommend last year's Cleveland launcher series to you. They are terrific clubs, and if you order one preowned on global golf, enter the code LEFT25 and you'll get 25% off a preowned club.
It's funny because I was thinking the Cleveland right from your first sentence, then you asked about it in your post. For the money, you can't beat it. It's a great club but the demand isn't there. The Nike stuff sells the same way: cheap. 99% of the time I get clubs that I've hit that don't have great demand, but play terrific. The Cleveland lineup from last year is a winner! I'd recommend to you either the 270 or the 290 with a stiff shaft.

Thanks great info. I'm getting ready to pick up a set of new CG16 irons from Global, and have been looking hard at used drivers on ebay. That 25% off info is huge, that is a steep discount. Thanks man

Back