TaylorMade Releases R11S Driver Preview

Had a pretty good day off the tee with the R11s this morning, only a couple bad drives that were just aimed to far right which wasnt the clubs fault. I ended up putting my Iomic Sticky Jumbo grip on yesterday and I have to say its my favorite grip for a driver, really helps keep my hands from over rotating and cuts down on my hooks IMO. Its very grippy as well. Still very very happy with this driver, will be in the bag all season as of now which would be a first for me.

I agree 10yard. Mine has supplanted the 910. When I catch it with a good swing the ball flies on wire. I have some driver love... Misses aren't too bad, the 910 is a tad better for those. I am longer and just as straight with the 11s though. I am playing this afternoon so I will post more later

I agree 10yard. Mine has supplanted the 910. When I catch it with a good swing the ball flies on wire. I have some driver love... Misses aren't too bad, the 910 is a tad better for those. I am longer and just as straight with the 11s though. I am playing this afternoon so I will post more later

The 910 is a beast for sure man, played it last year and fell in love with it until I got the R11s.

Was hitting this driver awesome today, only missed 2 fairways with it (9holes) and one of them was just from my ball not drawing back like I planned the other was just a complete worm burner on hole 9 lol. I was hitting nice tight little draws for all the others and they were getting out there pretty good for me, most were my average distance but had a couple about 10 yards past that. Great morning on the course.

I had a very very Bipolar driving day this morning. Hit a couple really good ones but hit more bad ones. I was either hooking them or blocking them out to the right. The 30mph wind did not help either but it was a strange day off the tee. I just couldnt get comfortable for some reason. I think I only hit 3 fairways this 18 holes, some were close or just off the fairway but still not in it.

I have a question for anybody that is playing the R11S and played both the R9 and SuperTri. Has anybody here compared the drivers and gotten better results than those? Meaning if you are a high spin player playing R9 and low spin playing SuperTri? Really curious here.

I have a question for anybody that is playing the R11S and played both the R9 and SuperTri. Has anybody here compared the drivers and gotten better results than those? Meaning if you are a high spin player playing R9 and low spin playing SuperTri? Really curious here.

I haven't played the R11S, but did get better performance out of the R11 as compared to the Supertri. I had to play a shaft that was heavier and helped to bring down the spin more with the Supertri, the R11 head was a better fit for me and allowed me to play a different shaft which helped with overall distance and dispersion. I'm curious why you ask the question, is it because you haven't seen gains for some people between the R9/Supertri heads and these newer heads?

I haven't played the R11S, but did get better performance out of the R11 as compared to the Supertri. I had to play a shaft that was heavier and helped to bring down the spin more with the Supertri, the R11 head was a better fit for me and allowed me to play a different shaft which helped with overall distance and dispersion. I'm curious why you ask the question, is it because you haven't seen gains for some people between the R9/Supertri heads and these newer heads?

That would make sense Ary. You went from high spin head to low spin head. My question is if people are seeing gains from low spin to low spin and/or high spin to high spin. Meaning R9 to R11 and SuperTri to R11S.

Question JB, you seem to have the difference in spin pretty nailed down. What is the approximate spin difference between the R11 and R11S.

Is the R11s the Supertri version of the R11?

Question JB, you seem to have the difference in spin pretty nailed down. What is the approximate spin difference between the R11 and R11S.

I find the S to have more spin.

I dont think Ive hit a TM combo that was better for me then the ST / ATTAS combo I had at one point. I reckon the R11S could be close with the right shaft in it.

Is the R11s the Supertri version of the R11?

Definitely not. Its not a high spin driver and I can see what I wrote there being thought of that way. I just found it to have more spin than the R11. Just very curious to the performance for those that made the switch in the way I mentioned. We did some testing recently and I was just curious how others thought it went for them.

I find the S to have more spin.

I learn something new every day. I thought that the R11S was supposed to have less spin than the R11. Of course, I've read stuff from people that have hit both heads that have gone both ways on it.

A little more spin than the R11 huh? I enjoyed the R11 but found it a bit unforgiving in areas on the club face. Can more spin equate to more forgiveness?

I learn something new every day. I thought that the R11S was supposed to have less spin than the R11. Of course, I've read stuff from people that have hit both heads that have gone both ways on it.

I think that many are seeing lower spin out of it. Im not and in our testing it did not have less spin. Of course that is not necessarily a bad thing. The reason I used the SuperTri was because of the size of the head more than anything.

I found on monitors (when you could find a R9 to compare to an R11) that the stock set ups gave me two results. More distance overall with the R11 and somewhat straighter balls but the R9 was more forgiving and still pretty long. It just seemed when I mishit the R9 I didn't suffer as much. Obviously I would have loved to do a head vs head (same shaft) but I never got the chance. I was a fan of the R11. Not so much the R11s but I think it would be fun to hit it and compare to a Supertri.

The info I received from a club fitter said they were very very close in terms of spin. According to him the R11S shaft was a little higher spinning, but with the same shaft the numbers of well struck shots would ver similar. The R11S head was basically a slightly more forgiving head, but with similar numbers. He said spin was within 100-200 RPM's in either direction with almost all of their testers.

That was his findings, not sure if he was right or not.

I used. Stock shaft in my Supertri and was ggetting more spin than the r11. I have a pjx in my 11s and my spin is down as is launch compared to both. Stock vs stock, I would fathom I get lower spin with the 11, not by much. I do not recall my launch numbers. I had a buddy compare both 11 and 11s and by launch it appeared he was getting lower spin but he had an alpha in his 11. That's my 2cents

I played the Supertri and ballooned the crap out of it with the stock shaft, put a RIP Alpha in it and it helped a lot but I would still balloon some every once in awhile. With the R11s I have had no ballooning at all. The Supertri was a 9.5* BTW as my R11s is 10.5*, R11s def spins a lot less than the supertri does.

I have the Fubuki Alpha 60 in my R11s.

I played the Supertri and ballooned the crap out of it with the stock shaft, put a RIP Alpha in it and it helped a lot but I would still balloon some every once in awhile. With the R11s I have had no ballooning at all. The Supertri was a 9.5* BTW as my R11s is 10.5*, R11s def spins a lot less than the supertri does.

I have the Fubuki Alpha 60 in my R11s.

I'm keeping my eye out for a used R11s head to put my Fubuki Alpha 70. It is a great pairing with my R11.

I'm keeping my eye out for a used R11s head to put my Fubuki Alpha 70. It is a great pairing with my R11.
Its awesome with the R11s as well. The R11s is so much more forgiving than the R11 was for me, way more.

Its awesome with the R11s as well. The R11s is so much more forgiving than the R11 was for me, way more.

I put the R11s/Fubuki combo into play for a few rounds at the outing. For me the results were basically the same on 4/5 shots. When well struck I absolutely love my R11. I notice once or twice a round I find a ball to be well short of what I expected, where I barely missed the sweet spot and lost distance. That didn't happen with the R11S. The only other difference is the sound, the R11 is much better, the R11S is AWFUL when mistruck.

It is not $400 better to me. I can't justify the cost of buying one right now. If I find a good deal on a used one it will be mine.

I put the R11s/Fubuki combo into play for a few rounds at the outing. For me the results were basically the same on 4/5 shots. When well struck I absolutely love my R11. I notice once or twice a round I find a ball to be well short of what I expected, where I barely missed the sweet spot and lost distance. That didn't happen with the R11S. The only other difference is the sound, the R11 is much better, the R11S is AWFUL when mistruck.

It is not $400 better to me. I can't justify the cost of buying one right now. If I find a good deal on a used one it will be mine.
Ya the distance loss with the R11 was horrible if you didnt hit the sweet spot, R11s is much better in the forgiveness department. I took care of the sound which I didnt think was horrible to begin with, I had mine hot melted so its much more muted now.

Ya the distance loss with the R11 was horrible if you didnt hit the sweet spot, R11s is much better in the forgiveness department. I took care of the sound which I didnt think was horrible to begin with, I had mine hot melted so its much more muted now.

That is something I would definitely consider if I end up with with one. I don't mind the sound when its hit well, a little loud but not obnoxious sounding. But if you miss the sweetspot you will start to hear neighborhood dogs start howling.

Back