2012 Srixon Golf Ball Lineup

wonder if some are strongly considering the Q star. I haven't played it yet, but I've heard many good things.

I'd be lying if I said no, the Q-Star is such a solid performer in every way. Long as anything I've played off the tee and predictable around the greens. I play it quite frequently and really I don't have to make many adjustments in how I play with it other than allowing for a tad more roll on partial shots.

When I went to a cleveland demo day and I got a few sleeves of the Zstars, and q stars for free, I really liked the the q stars and I would use it at the morgan cup if I was in it haha

When I went to a cleveland demo day and I got a few sleeves of the Zstars, and q stars for free, I really liked the the q stars and I would use it at the morgan cup if I was in it haha

What did you like about the Q-Star over the Z-Star (hope I'm not putting words in your mouth there) that would have you game it instead? I'm fleshing this one out in my own head so hearing your thoughts will help.

What did you like about the Q-Star over the Z-Star (hope I'm not putting words in your mouth there) that would have you game it instead? I'm fleshing this one out in my own head so hearing your thoughts will help.

Im not LR, but I can give you my thoughts.
When I get tired even a little bit, I prefer easier to compress and less spinny off the tee. Q-Star does both of those for me.
Z-Star spins more around the green, without question, but on full swings, the Q-Star was just as spinny for me.

Since we are within 6 weeks of the Morgan Cup I was curious what ball the Cleveland/Srixon staffers are thinking of playing?

Z-Star Yellow (if available) for me. I like it off the tee and for spin into the greens and short shots I don't think it can be beat.

you're right SW....it's almost crunch time and i am still undecided.
i'm leaning towards Z-Star White but the XV White still has a decent chance.

Im not LR, but I can give you my thoughts.
When I get tired even a little bit, I prefer easier to compress and less spinny off the tee. Q-Star does both of those for me.
Z-Star spins more around the green, without question, but on full swings, the Q-Star was just as spinny for me.

That's the kicker for me. Both are lower compression 75 and 90 but I feel like I get more out less with the Q-Star. Of course the SL sits right in the middle but I've not had the chance to play with it very much but when I did I thought it to be a little higher off the tee than I like. Since I already hit a high ball more height might be a hindrance.

The Qstar is a great ball for sure, straighter off the tee for me than the Zstar was but if I was playing in this I would go with the Zstar just so I could attack the pins on those shorter shots and not worry about the roll out. On full shots the Qstar spins great but on the partial shots is really when you can tell a difference. Hard choice for you guys for sure.

That's the kicker for me. Both are lower compression 75 and 90 but I feel like I get more out less with the Q-Star. Of course the SL sits right in the middle but I've not had the chance to play with it very much but when I did I thought it to be a little higher off the tee than I like. Since I already hit a high ball more height might be a hindrance.

Im an idiot...I forgot about the SL and how much I liked it.

Does the SL stand for anything? I've wondered that since I first heard about it.

Im an idiot...I forgot about the SL and how much I liked it.

I still havent had a chance to try these out, how do they compare between the Zstar and Qstar JB? Do they spin more around the green on partial shots than the Qstar?

I still havent had a chance to try these out, how do they compare between the Zstar and Qstar JB? Do they spin more around the green on partial shots than the Qstar?

They are a low compression Z-Star. Definitely a spinny ball. I initially thought they'd be the ball for me, but I liked the Z-Star just a little more for some reason.

Well for my game, I liked the low spin off the tee, I don't have numbers but It was way longer off the tee for me and I got some monster drives. I was able to control my fade-slice to a decent baby fade for the most part and the ball flight was higher that I am used to since I tend to hit lower launching drives so it was Ideal for me. The longest drive I got while testing the q star was a 325 yard drive, I posted it a while back and I ended up 75 yards in front of the green. The short game lacks but not as much as I expected it too. For example, the z star would roll out a few inches vs almost a couple feet for the q star when I hit chips but both would stop relatively soon when hit at full shot into the green with a shorter irons. The Zstar had more spin on medium and long irons so If I got lucky and hit into the green it tended to hold the green but the q star tended to release a few feet with the mid and long irons. Again off the tee the Q star was a monster and it rolled a lot after it hit the fairway.

So all in all the reason I love the Q star is (at least in my game)

Low long game spin-control my fade and add distance
higher ball flight-ideal for my game(low launching)
Mid-low spin off mid irons
mid to Higher spin off short irons
Decent spin on greenside shots

Plus I found it easier to compress and keep that spin low off the tee, my driver swing is 97-100

They are a low compression Z-Star. Definitely a spinny ball. I initially thought they'd be the ball for me, but I liked the Z-Star just a little more for some reason.

Thanks Hawk, did they have more side spin off the tee than the Zstar?

Yes they do. Compare favorably to the RX.

LR thank you for posting that, very useful man. Pretty much my thoughts exactly, it's a tough decision for sure since each brings it's on unique quality to the table with some overlap in key areas.

LR thank you for posting that, very useful man. Pretty much my thoughts exactly, it's a tough decision for sure since each brings it's on unique quality to the table with some overlap in key areas.

No problem, yeah I notice that I have to sacrifice either distance/straight flight or spin in this case, but the way I've been fading-slicing the ball recently-I'd gladly take the q star. Perhaps one day when I stop missing right so badly, I would just use the higher spin ball and see if I could game it effectively.

you're right SW....it's almost crunch time and i am still undecided.
i'm leaning towards Z-Star White but the XV White still has a decent chance.

I have played the xv (and zstar x) for over a year. It is one of my two favorite balls- the other being the new cally hex b. It is a perfect combination for me.

Still with the Z-Stars for serious high stakes rounds. It's a fantastic ball. Incidentally, I play with the original Penta TP for lower stakes rounds and the Gamer V2 for casual rounds.

wonder if some are strongly considering the Q star. I haven't played it yet, but I've heard many good things.

I am not considering Q star, I will be gaming Q Star. I do not need spinny because I hit the ball very high with irons so they always stop, and I don't want anything too spinny off the tee. I have been gaming it all season, and I am liking the results I have seen so far in every aspect. I do not honestly have a color choice at this time, but will probably go with white.

I know that I will go yellow, I'm just not sure which ball I will go with. I played the Z-Star XV earlier today, saw some really good distance on some of my drives. I had been concerned prior to today that it may be too low spin paired with the Classic driver, but that just wasn't the case today. However, I missed a lot of greens today, and I didn't get the stopping power that I desired on a couple of shots with these balls. I guess I've been spoiled by how well the Z-Star ball will hold around the greens. I'm still going to game the Z-Star XV over the next couple of weeks to see if I'll go with that ball over the Z-Star in the Morgan Cup.

Z Star XV was a very good ball for me! Very hot off the driver yet still has enough spin around the greens. SS of around 112

Picked up a sleeve of the SL balls to try again. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of having a ball that is just a little easier to compress effectively. Since the cover is the same I don't foresee spin being any less than the Z-Star that I've played for several months.

Back