THP Tour Van Event - Des Moines, IA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I need to make a mental note to not let JB tell me what club to tee of with?

You can bring anybody you would like I would guess. While we want the core to be THP members, and have THP members playing and meeting others, there is no reason why anybody should not get to play.
That's good to know I've got two buddies I've been leaning on to join THP and I'm hoping they can come to the event to push them over the top.

The course looks awesome, a great view while you play is never a bad thing!!!

yes I do, I am gonna try to make this

How cool is this? I'm getting more excited by the minute. This poor course may not no what's in store, haha.

I fully plan on topping at least one shot for my homey Jrod.

I'm getting pumped also! Just went outside and hit some balls into my net to prepare. One came back and hit me in the forehead. Not looking good.

This looks like a really serious course. Check out the score card, #4 hole is 5478 yards, haha. Driver off the deck several times I think!

It plays downhill and downwind. And it's only the #7 handicap hole. Tells you how hard all the others are. They may need to update their webpage.

It plays downhill and downwind. And it's only the #7 handicap hole. Tells you how hard all the others are. They may need to update their webpage.

Lol, I better get a cart.

If you've never been to an event like this, but are thinking about it at all, you owe it to yourself to come on over. There is nothing quite like hanging out with 20 or 30 other golf nuts.

We had a small group last year as an informal gathering and everybody had a great time. Especially Duey.
Duey had such a great time that he couldn't make it to the Sunday round at the Legacy.

1st post updated with course info.
I've already read and heard quite a bit about this course. Either I almost played it with my ex BIL or it was considered for the outing we had there last summer.

Thanks bud, will price these options and see what THP'ers can do to hook me up with rides, etc.
If you come to KC, as of now I am planning on driving up Friday afternoon.

Looking at about $340 round trip right now either to DSM or Quad Cities. I doubt KC would work because I am guessing that most KC'ers are going to the STL stop. Not to mention, that SWA flight is $480.

Will just have to keep an eye on it and see if prices drop.
KC is closer to Des Moines than St. Louis, by about an hour.

Honest question; Is this a THP member only event, or can we bring along friends/family?
I should be bringing Dan, who was at the outing in Ankeny last year. He beat everyone in our group if I recall correctly.

This looks like a really serious course. Check out the score card, #4 hole is 5478 yards, haha. Driver off the deck several times I think!

Don't tell TC. He gets upset at a 670 yard hole. hehehe

It's a great course. The par 3s will rip your guts out and laugh at you. Many of the other holes will join in on the fun if your game isn't tidy that day. Memo to self--go buy golf balls to donate to the golf course goblins. In Iowa they are rumored to look a lot like Gollum from the Lord of the Rings and if you listen closely you can hear them saying "My precious" as they grab your golf balls and disappear into the timber or the water.

Just talked to my ex BIL and he's in for both days. He echoed the bring plenty of balls statement and suggested the Deacon tees unless you're long off the tee (Jrod!)

Said to keep it out of the ravines as most of the time they are unplayable down there! And bring plenty of Off! Mosquitos are pretty bad there around September and there could be lots of leaves.

He's played it a few times, and for those who saw him play and whip us on Saturday last year, he said he's shot in the 40s a few times for 9. He didn't elaborate much, but I took that to mean high 90s for him, and he shot 85 or so at Otter.

Oh snap smalls. I am going to be laying up everything just to keep the list balls and penalty stokes in check. I fear it is similar to a course around here that I struggle with losing balls.... Oooh snap

Just FYI:

Location: 15 miles North NW of Des Moines - 7 miles west of Highway 35

Acreage: Total Site – 500 acres Golf Course – 230 acres

Architect: Palmer Course Design.
Builder: Enebak Construction
Management: Tradition Golf

Par: 71
Yardage: 4 sets of tees ranging from 5039 - 7059 yards.

Key Design Features:

• Good mixture of open space and forest areas highlighted by hills, bluffs, ravines, valleys, mature canopied trees.
  • Naturalized look that is unique to Iowa golf. Mature hardwood tree preservation throughout course site.
  • Substantial water features – Big Creek (over 1-mile) lakes and ponds. Water on 13 holes.
  • Over 1/2 million cubic yards of earth material moved.
  • Selective clearing of 124 acres (primarily for fairways, greens and tees)
  • “Stadium” designed into many holes highlighted by finishing holes of #17 and #18.
  • Excellent hole separation - the feeling that you're all alone on the course!
  • Unique and significant elevation transitions-both nines have dramatic topography.
  • Perhaps the best collection of Par-3’s in the state, our five Par 3's include dramatic views and elevation drops, forced carries, and water features.
  • Residential exposure does not impede upon the golf experience.

Practice Facility:

• Overall dimensions: 300+ yards deep X 175 yards wide
  • Practice tee area: 2-tiered practice tee provides 25 hittings stations on each tier
  • Six defined bent grass target greens.
  • Private instruction tee located at back of practice facility.
  • 10,000 square foot putting green along with separate chipping green including a sand bunker.

Additional Features

Grasses:

• Tees, Fairways, Greens – bent grass blend of A1 plus A4 types.
  • Greens average a massive 7,000 square feet!
  • Rough – Multiple varieties of bluegrass and fescue.
  • Out-of-Play areas: – Fescues, native grasses and wildflowers.
  • Native aquatic vegetation.

Sand:

• All bunker sand meets PGA Tour specifications.
  • 30 bunkers including green side and large fairway bunkers
  • Bunkers vary from small pot bunkers to large waste areas.

Special Features

• 70 tee boxes up to six per hole.
  • Teeing areas average 9,000 square feet.
  • Fairways account for 30-acres and include generous landing areas, yet demanding approach shots.
  • What you see is what you get - No Blind Shots or False Fronts
  • Greens average 7,000 square feet featuring subtle breaks and undulations.
  • 12 acres of “man-made” strategically positioned lakes.
  • 6.5 miles of continuous concrete cart paths.
  • Wood timber bridges (7) spanning water features.
  • 900-head Rainbird irrigation system that produces 1350 gallons per minute.
  • Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary certification in process.

Dont steal my thunder! My game is so amazing I can hit my 3w 260 or 80!

I can catch you on the 80, lol.

Smally, any word on the range there? Grass or mud?

I can catch you on the 80, lol.

Smally, any word on the range there? Grass or mud?

We didn't talk about the range. I think it was mud at Otter because they had just got a big rain.

We didn't talk about the range. I think it was mud at Otter because they had just got a big rain.

Yea, that was pretty much the only problem we found with that course. This one looks tough, especially the back 9. I'll be scratching and clawing for every possible shot on the front and taking lots of extra balls.

Yea, that was pretty much the only problem we found with that course. This one looks tough, especially the back 9. I'll be scratching and clawing for every possible shot on the front and taking lots of extra balls.

I only lose a ball every few rounds on my course. I think if I change rounds to holes, it will be about right for this course!

I only lose a ball every few rounds on my course. I think if I change rounds to holes, it will be about right for this course!

My play has been on a slide for almost a month now, hard to say where it will be by then. My last time out here was 49/37, haha. I can go high or low all at the same time.

Oh fiddlesticks. Told the wife about the outing... she reminded me that we had signed up for the http://glowrun5k.com/omaha.php . :beat-up:

I can try to make it early on the Saturday, or just come Sunday instead... ugh... I hate having time limitations.

Oh fiddlesticks. Told the wife about the outing... she reminded me that we had signed up for the http://glowrun5k.com/omaha.php . :beat-up:

I can try to make it early on the Saturday, or just come Sunday instead... ugh... I hate having time limitations.

This is August 18. How does that interfere with September 15 and 16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back