Boccieri Forum Testing Review Thread

Great reviews so far. I enjoyed my time with the Heavy Driver so I am enjoying following along with this testing.

Great reviews so far, guys. Does anyone know if there is a way to demo these clubs? Does Boccieri offer any type of return policy if not satisfied, or something?

Rusty,
Looking on their site, it appears they only have some demo days scheduled in CA this summer. They have a great performance center (never been there) in AZ that would be best to get fit. Otherwise I do not see anywhere and am not aware of them having a play and return policy. That would probably be something you would have to call them about. If you decide to look into it further, do let us know!

Great reviews so far, guys. Does anyone know if there is a way to demo these clubs? Does Boccieri offer any type of return policy if not satisfied, or something?

I know that they used to offer a 30 day money back guarantee directly through Boccieri but they also offer this if you purchase through TGW.com on their site. Not sure if Blind9 has that same playability guarantee or not.

Thanks for checking up in here cookie.

I think when I first starting swinging the club, I noticed the tempo felt a little different with weighting technology. I can honestly say though i really didn't notice a difference in a swing with this club but I didn't swing my other hybrid yesterday either. Maybe I am just getting used it it more?

At first( I think when I was getting more used to the club feel) my ball flight was pretty scattered. It was really great to be able to see a consistent lower flight last night with a slight draw. I will pay more attention to this next time out but after last night, I can say it was fairly consistent.

Thanks for chiming in.

Thanks, appreciate the reply. I know that I still see a lower ball flight (not a bad one by any means) compared to other hybrids and I really did like it with the Boccieri.

Reason for the tempo question was that I found I was more apt to get into trouble if I try and really go after it with this club. It seemed to really like a nice smooth tempo and it would deliver consistent results time and time again.

I know that they used to offer a 30 day money back guarantee directly through Boccieri but they also offer this if you purchase through TGW.com on their site. Not sure if Blind9 has that same playability guarantee or not.

Thanks, appreciate the reply. I know that I still see a lower ball flight (not a bad one by any means) compared to other hybrids and I really did like it with the Boccieri.

Reason for the tempo question was that I found I was more apt to get into trouble if I try and really go after it with this club. It seemed to really like a nice smooth tempo and it would deliver consistent results time and time again.

Thanks for clarifying the return policy.

Yes the ball flight is something I am definitely happy with.

I probably pushed it a few times really going after and seeing a great ball flight, but in the past I noticed I usually failed to make solid contact when I would go after it. I definitely think there is some truth to the club promoting a smooth tempo.

Jj we all like new clubs and its fun to try out clubs but a smart man told me years ago that we would shoot about the same scores or slighty better if we took driver out of the bag. He also told me if we would play with 4 or 5 clubs one would get more creative with their golf game.

Jj we all like new clubs and its fun to try out clubs but a smart man told me years ago that we would shoot about the same scores or slighty better if we took driver out of the bag. He also told me if we would play with 4 or 5 clubs one would get more creative with their golf game.

He sounds like a smart man. I shot the exact same score with and without a driver on the same course BUT I felt a lot better about the score without a driver. Thanks for reading reviews in here.

Not a ton to report from the round last night other than my tee shot with the 3 wood on the 3rd hole. 254 yards. I will take that every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

That's some really solid distance, BG. I'll ask in advance for you to kindly bring the 3W to Des Moines in September. I'll have a hybrid you can try out.

That's some really solid distance, BG. I'll ask in advance for you to kindly bring the 3W to Des Moines in September. I'll have a hybrid you can try out.
Good thinking. I will have my hybrid as well. I really want to hit the 3w and hope it works out when in Des Moines.

That's right. We'll have a couple to choose from. If Cookie comes, we'll have th 4&5 as well!

I am afraid of touching any of cookies clubs for a fear of developing the cookie swing.

That's right. We'll have a couple to choose from. If Cookie comes, we'll have th 4&5 as well!

Yep, exactly I have the 3, 4, & 5 hybrids.

BG - very solid distance out of the 3W, that is impressive man. Add me to the list to try the 3W.

Yep, exactly I have the 3, 4, & 5 hybrids.
BG - very solid distance out of the 3W, that is impressive man. Add me to the list to try the 3W.

Thanks guys. That's much farther than I had planned on hitting it. It really messed with my course management.

At contact I instantly had one of those "yup, got that one" feelings. I have been having that feeling often with this club. I'm just not affraid to hit it. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Will hopefully be getting in 18 on Monday and Tuesday with some updates. Hate not seeing this thread near the top so I had to throw in a little bump.

Boccieri Golf Heavy Hybrid 23*

Boccieri Golf Heavy Hybrid 23*

Date: 6-24-2012
Club Tested: Boccieri Heavy Hybrid 23*
Previos Club: TaylorMade RBZ 4H
Ball used: Callaway Hex Chrome Yello
Conditions: Dry and warm

Today I played the front 9 at Patriots Glen in Elkton and at the risk of sounding repetitive once again the Heavy hybrid was pretty dang good. Ive added a 2W to my bag and this provided me a lot of FW's but also meant I hit the Heavy only two times today. Seeing that I forgot my last update from last weekend I'll just combine them here.

The Heavy Hybrid so far has been nothing short of outstanding. While I dont get quite the same feeling from a good shot that I would say the RBZ hybrid the results are almost always just as good. And Im starting to think the Heavy is more consistant. I rarely miss left except today. I had over 230 into the hold so I planned on an easy swinging Heavy hybrid down close but came out of it a bit and hit it left into the woods. I think between last week and today that was only time that has happened. Most every shot is a little baby fade that I can count on each time. Distance seems to be in the 180-190 range. Today my second shot was on the second to last hole of my nine. Hit 2W into the FW and with plenty of FW to work with a nice Heavy Hybrid would leave me a wedge into the green. Hit the exact shot I saw in my mind finding my ball in the middle of the fairway just past the carts dont cross here signs. Now last week I probably hit the Heavy close to a dozen times and it was easily my best club of the day.

One thing that has stood out to me is the Heavy is super easy to hit straight and its very consistent. Today I was looking at the sole and it shows little to no signs of wear. And Ive hit it a lot and in all kinds of conditions so far.

Sound is something that just doesnt stand out to me. That is a good thing because I dont really notice it. I know it makes one but its not anything loud so it doesnt stick out.

Once again today was a pretty good day with the Heavy and it continues to impress me.

Nice updates guys. Jj I liked hearing the heavy isn't too affected by the wind you played in last time out. Blu it seems you've got this hybrid dialed in and it fits you well, I've enjoyed reading your updates. Matter of fact after reading them I struggle to think of a question to ask.

Something that came to mind after yesterdays round is in general how are you guys finding this affected by wet courses, if at all?

Nice updates guys. Jj I liked hearing the heavy isn't too affected by the wind you played in last time out. Blu it seems you've got this hybrid dialed in and it fits you well, I've enjoyed reading your updates. Matter of fact after reading them I struggle to think of a question to ask.

Something that came to mind after yesterdays round is in general how are you guys finding this affected by wet courses, if at all?

It was a really dry June here in Cheeseland. We haven't had a lot of wet conditions. I will keep an eye on it for you though.

Thanks SW. As far as the wet conditions go, I have not had the chance to hit it in wet conditions either but will probably at some point and provide some feedback.

I played a few rounds this weekend and will post my thoughts tonight..

I played 9 holes today and just didn't have a good swing. The few times I hit the 5 wood were just dead straight pulls, a couple of bad ones. It wasn't just the 5 wood either. All operator error, not equipment. I am playing again tomorrow and will hopefully be able to post some better results.

Date: 6-24-2012
Club Tested: Boccieri Heavy Hybrid 23*
Previos Club: TaylorMade RBZ 4H
Ball used: Callaway Hex Chrome Yello
Conditions: Dry and warm

Today I played the front 9 at Patriots Glen in Elkton and at the risk of sounding repetitive once again the Heavy hybrid was pretty dang good. Ive added a 2W to my bag and this provided me a lot of FW's but also meant I hit the Heavy only two times today. Seeing that I forgot my last update from last weekend I'll just combine them here.

The Heavy Hybrid so far has been nothing short of outstanding. While I dont get quite the same feeling from a good shot that I would say the RBZ hybrid the results are almost always just as good. And Im starting to think the Heavy is more consistant. I rarely miss left except today. I had over 230 into the hold so I planned on an easy swinging Heavy hybrid down close but came out of it a bit and hit it left into the woods. I think between last week and today that was only time that has happened. Most every shot is a little baby fade that I can count on each time. Distance seems to be in the 180-190 range. Today my second shot was on the second to last hole of my nine. Hit 2W into the FW and with plenty of FW to work with a nice Heavy Hybrid would leave me a wedge into the green. Hit the exact shot I saw in my mind finding my ball in the middle of the fairway just past the carts dont cross here signs. Now last week I probably hit the Heavy close to a dozen times and it was easily my best club of the day.

One thing that has stood out to me is the Heavy is super easy to hit straight and its very consistent. Today I was looking at the sole and it shows little to no signs of wear. And Ive hit it a lot and in all kinds of conditions so far.

Sound is something that just doesnt stand out to me. That is a good thing because I dont really notice it. I know it makes one but its not anything loud so it doesnt stick out.

Once again today was a pretty good day with the Heavy and it continues to impress me.

Kmac: question on the bolded part. Could this be at all (or partially) attributed to the audio feedback of the club? Or is this sheerly on pure distance/accuracy, etc?

For me personally, I recently hit a driver that sounded audibly much different than what I am accustomed to and that translated to what I thought was a great shot and additional distance. Just curious if the audible differences are perhaps playing with your mind like it did for me.

Kmac: question on the bolded part. Could this be at all (or partially) attributed to the audio feedback of the club? Or is this sheerly on pure distance/accuracy, etc?

For me personally, I recently hit a driver that sounded audibly much different than what I am accustomed to and that translated to what I thought was a great shot and additional distance. Just curious if the audible differences are perhaps playing with your mind like it did for me.

I think its two things, the weight and the sound of the club. Both are quite different from other clubs that I have or have tried. Its not a bad thing its just different from the RBZ or 910H I had before the Heavy. Im seeing really good results so its not a problem at all just an observation so far.

6/26/12
Mr. Golf, De Pere, WI Driving Range.
78 degF, SW Wind 5-8 mph

Today was the first day that the Boccieri felt clunky. I don’t know what it was. But the 25 balls I hit on the range today just felt clunky. That is the best word I can think of. The shots weren’t bad, nothing that I would be disappointed with on the course. The ball flight was a good mid flight, nothing ballooned. The shaft felt like it loaded well through the swing. But contact just felt off. It may have been the range rocks I was hitting. But there was just something going on. I just felt the weight of the club at impact.

Turf interaction was good. The club definitely moves through the ground well. The lack of rails doesn’t seem to make a darn bit of difference. The mass of the head seems to do a very good job moving through contact. I did hit one ball really fat. I was amazed at how even the divot was. There was no dig or gouge. Just a dollar bill sized mud spot where I hit a few inches behind the ball. I don’t think the club would get stuck, even on dry turf.

I am really happy with how well the club cleans up. There aren’t a lot of deep lines or paintfill on the sole to collect dirt. Just a little bit of water and a brushing and the club looks clean as a whistle. The club still looks really darn new. So at least I have that going for me.

The results from my swings were satisfactory, other than the one super fat shot. I still feel like the club's technology does it's job. There isn't a gimmicky feel to the weighting anymore. I may be leaving the honeymoon period however. I love hitting the club and I still look forward to my shots with it. But I don't get gitty when I stripe one. It is just expected now. Good problem to have, I guess.

Last edited:
It might be a good thing that the honeymoon period is slowing down, BG. You'll wee if you are able to continue seeing the performance and if the club is something you want to keep in the bag.

My experience with durability has been similar. The entire club has stayed in very good shape for one that I used to hit all the time.

It might be a good thing that the honeymoon period is slowing down, BG. You'll wee if you are able to continue seeing the performance and if the club is something you want to keep in the bag.

My experience with durability has been similar. The entire club has stayed in very good shape for one that I used to hit all the time.

I can say that as of right now, the performance, especially from the tee, has kept up my interest. It has been very reliable.

It is time for an in depth review of all my complied thoughts thus far

Including the last rounds I played:
On 6/21/12 (Thursday) I hit 30 or so at the range.
On 6/22/12 (Friday) I hit three shots during 9 holes at Elmwood East 9 course.
On 6/23/12 (Saturday) I used it twice on a 9 hole semi executive course (Kuehn Park).
On 6/24/12 (Sunday) I five times during an round at Rocky Run Golf Course (18 holes).

Here is a quick update to what the club face currently looks like (I am testing the 20* Heavy Hybrid in a stiff shaft for those that are unaware):
Spoiler
photo.jpg

I feel it is necessary to note that on 6/20/12 (Wednesday) I was slapped in the face when I realized my current grip set-up was completely off. I was at the Range on 6/21/12 for an extended time with all my clubs feeling out my new setup. Obviously, like most new things, it feels different but I like the feedback and think it will progress my swing a lot quicker with a better technique.

Instead of going through each shot and what happened during my recent rounds, I want to touch on some of the various thoughts I have established so far. I want this post to be summary of overall testing and what I am seeing so far and what my testing goals are from here out.

Most important to me first: CONSISTENCY

Everyone has their own interpretation of this term as a golfer due to the vast range of skill, but for me, I would define consistency (for a hybrid club) as the ability to hit a full shot within a 15yd radius where desired (average size of green.) Based on current testing results, I would classify this club as MORE consistent than what I previously played for a hybrid (Nike SQ Machspeed) but not CONSISTENT. This is okay though, as I see improvement in this aspect but it is my inability to produce a consistent swing, that leads to the club not being CONSISTENT.

Next I want to talk about: FEEL

The feel of the :boccieri:Heavy Hybrids and Fairway Woods has been a hot topic throughout testing. I can attest to being a part of this talk for a few reasons. 1.) The club feels what it says "Heavy" and 2.) the back weighting system which moves the balance point closer to the grip.

It is obvious to notice both these points when swinging a club from this product line. I do not consider myself a golfer with enough experience to actually describe the feeling other than I FEEL like I can produce a more controlled swing (which I am assuming is caused from the back weighting.) One thing I have noticed, that I have yet to notice with other clubs, is that instant FEELING I notice with the Heavy Hybrid on a great shot; I just KNOW it was great.

Any geeks out there want to read how Boccieri claims, through physics, how their heavier clubs can actually produce higher swing speeds? Check here: http://boccierigolf.com/pdf/innovation-physics-driver.pdf

Now to discuss something I have decent feedback on: MISHITS

One thing people want in a club, is the ability for it to perform to it's max ability when a ball is MISHIT. During my very first range session, I think the club weight and back weighting was leading me to hit some HOSEL ROCKETS (on the inside, or heel). I could feel the MISHIT, and the resulting ball flight was a push-fade (very minor on the fade, mostly just a push.) Since than, I haven't MISHIT very many in this fashion as I have become accustomed to the weighting.

My typical MISHIT I have been seeing is either one of two things (obviously attributed to swing flaws) 1.) in-to-out swing causing a slice or 2.) Hitting fat causing a loss in distance. I honestly do not seeing in major differences in a MISHIT with my Heavy Hybrid as I do with other clubs, and therefore cannot say it is a game changer for me in this category. The only attribute to the Heavy Hybrid is that I seem to have LESS MISHITS than I do with other clubs. I cannot verify if this is due to the back weighting or my confidence in this club.

Speaking of: CONFIDENCE

I will wrap thing up after this for the simple fact that no-one will probably be reading past this point anyway. Like I mentioned above, I am not positive what aspect of the club is causing this, but I step up to a shot and have TOTAL CONFIDENCE in my swing. Honestly, I believe it is caused from the fact that I tend to hit more shots that fall into my classification of CONSISTENT with the Heavy Hybrid than I do with other clubs during a range session. CONFIDENCE is so high, I am considering purchasing additional clubs from the Boccieri Heavy line in the future.

Finally: My upcoming GOALS for further testing

I am going to get some hard data on a Launch Monitor with the 20* Heavy Hybrid compared to other comparable products on the market today. I know this may not even be a reliable data set to compare as I do not have a consistent enough swing to trust the results, but it should be a good indication of what I see the best results with and how the Heavy Hybrid compares. If there is a specific club someone wants me to test this against, I would be happy too (assuming it is available!)

Of course my main GOAL is to continue updating everyone on range and course sessions and answer any questions out there to the best of my ability! Two thumbs up if you made it thus far :thumb::thumb:!

Back