Bridgestone J40 Fairway Woods and Hybrids

To be honest they were pretty straight. Still have some limited time in with them but that will change this week. The ball flight from the hybrid and the VTS silver though has really impressed me to this point.

Cool Dean. I'll be interested to know. I saw a huge draw bias with the Razr X and im seeing a fade with the J40. Looking forward to what you get from them.

Cool Dean. I'll be interested to know. I saw a huge draw bias with the Razr X and im seeing a fade with the J40. Looking forward to what you get from them.

This is one of the things that I really like about the J40. I don't like draw biased clubs because I feel like I will hook them into the next county. This has been very straight for me.

I played 18 on friday. Right now, I have more confidence in my driver than I have in about 3 years.

I have tried to hit the 3+ about 8 times now and needless to say, I need some range time with her. We are not getting along. I am finding myself slicing it 90% of the time. Its the only club in my bag that I am fighting right now. I have NO clue what thats about.

I hit the hybrid quite a few times on friday and had ONE errant shot, it was just a straight push. I got lazy on my swing and didnt accelerate through. But, having hit it about 8 times all day I am not too mad at one mis hit.

I am loving the 5 wood, which btw has the same shaft as the 3+. I hit it nice and high and very much online. I had one very slight push with it on friday, but I was still in play in the right rough.

These woods sound awesome at impact. Not only do you feel a well struck shot, but you hear it as well.

Who needs a strong 3wood when you're hitting a driver that well?

Good question TC. I can only speak for myself and not the one you've know your whole life (haha) but there are times when a driver is just too long. It's not as easy to hit off the deck as the 4w and 5w but I reckon it could be a weapon there if I wanted a low stinger type shot.

I agree dude. I am hitting it so well right now(driver). Very consistent too. 3 rounds I have thrown 1 into the trees. Still bogeyed the hole with a punch out

I had a great day with the hybrids today. Hit 2/3 greens that I went for today including a 220 yard shot from the second cut of rough. I caught one a little fat so it ended up short. I am getting a nice mid trajectory that seems to cut through the wind and still hold the greens. Ball flight has been nice and straight with a more forgivness than I was expecting. Dispursion also seems to have improved for me over my old hybrids. The J40's saved me at least 2 strokes today think I made the right choice as far as my gaps go for my Morgan Cup bag.

I had a great day with the hybrids today. Hit 2/3 greens that I went for today including a 220 yard shot from the second cut of rough. I caught one a little fat so it ended up short. I am getting a nice mid trajectory that seems to cut through the wind and still hold the greens. Ball flight has been nice and straight with a more forgivness than I was expecting. Dispursion also seems to have improved for me over my old hybrids. The J40's saved me at least 2 strokes today think I made the right choice as far as my gaps go for my Morgan Cup bag.

very nice Erik! How have you been hitting the 4 wood?

I have a lesson scheduled tonight, with once again a threat of rain(have had 4 lessons canceled due to weather). I'm really looking forward to hitting the range with them tonight. Since I've got them in the bag I haven't really spent any range time with them, it's been just course time.

very nice Erik! How have you been hitting the 4 wood?

I have a lesson scheduled tonight, with once again a threat of rain(have had 4 lessons canceled due to weather). I'm really looking forward to hitting the range with them tonight. Since I've got them in the bag I haven't really spent any range time with them, it's been just course time.

I have been hitting them both very well. They are a tad longer than my previous hybrids as I ordered then 1/2" long. This lead to a few fat shots but I have gained a few more yards because of it. The 4h is great for 180-200 and the 3h from 200-220. I can take some off or go for it and the ball always seems to go straight. With my previous hybrids backing off or going for it would give me a hook or a push slice. Not sure if there is just less twisting at impact or if the heavier feel of the shaft is helping with my dispursion.

I have been hitting them both very well. They are a tad longer than my previous hybrids as I ordered then 1/2" long. This lead to a few fat shots but I have gained a few more yards because of it. The 4h is great for 180-200 and the 3h from 200-220. I can take some off or go for it and the ball always seems to go straight. With my previous hybrids backing off or going for it would give me a hook or a push slice. Not sure if there is just less twisting at impact or if the heavier feel of the shaft is helping with my dispursion.

Nice to hear man. Did you go heavier shafts throughout your woods?

Nice to hear man. Did you go heavier shafts throughout your woods?

Everything is a bit heavier than the Miyazaki's I was playing before in my woods and hybrids. For some reason I seem to notice it more in the hybrids. I have a Miyazaki C. Kua in a J40 3-wood that so far has played fairly similar to the Attas T2 in my 4-wood. The hybrid performance so far has been a huge improvement for me that I was not expecting at all.

Everything is a bit heavier than the Miyazaki's I was playing before in my woods and hybrids. For some reason I seem to notice it more in the hybrids. I have a Miyazaki C. Kua in a J40 3-wood that so far has played fairly similar to the Attas T2 in my 4-wood. The hybrid performance so far has been a huge improvement for me that I was not expecting at all.

Great to hear man. It's the best when equipment actually surpasses your expectations. That doesn't happen all the time.

These hybrids are long! I hit the 3h 225 yards with about a 5 mph wind at my back tonight in league. They cut threw the grass like a 4 stroke ryobi weed eater. they sound amazing. And oh the shaft. It's spectacular.

Fwys still get up pretty easy for me from the fwy. I've struggled a bit hitting them out of the rough. Which I use to not have a problem with. They sound a little like the driver but not as high pitched. Plus I can't say enough about the shafts!

while at the range last night I took some time to work on the 4 wood. Truth be told, we haven't really gotten along all that well in our new relationship. One thing that was kind of bothering me about it was the grip. Not the performance of the grip itself but the feel of it. Compared to the feel of it on my hybrids it just felt more undersized to me. So I took the grip off and built it up a little. I threw 3 layers of masking tape underneath it and then slid the grip right on it. After I did that it felt much better in the hand.

Back to last night, the range at my course is typically an irons only range, but I like to bend the rules sometimes. So after working on my grip and swing I decided to be a rebel and hit the 4 wood. The first ball I hit was a low sliding liner. Nerfny told me I looked like I tried to murder the ball, which is probably true because it's been frustrating. So I stepped back, relaxed and put an easy temp swing on it. BOOM! Solid contact and the ball took off. It was like that for 4 or 5 in a row, until I tried to go after one and then it was a mess haha. Back to the easy swing and the results were 100% better. So somewhere between getting the grip to feel comfortable in my hands and an easier tempo I found some success with it on the range. Really looking forward to seeing how it translates on the course. Since it's the only FW in my bag, it's kind of important for it to work out well.

Lucas - I know you commented in the MC Video thread about the VTS Hybrid shafts that I have so I thought I'd answer you in here.

As anyone who has been keeping up with the MC talk knows, Bridgestone offered us staffers a slew of shafts to choose from. Well on the shaft sheet they offered the VTS 85 Shafts in Black, Silver, and Red. When I saw these as options I got pretty excited because I had hit the VTS in another hybrid before an really liked it. I also had used the UST Proforce shaft in one of mine so I was pretty confident that going with another UST model would work. According to their website The black shaft launches the lowest with the Red being the highest. After talking to the guys at Bridgestone through BFIT we decided on the VTS Silver.

With the Silver in Stiff flex it's said to produce a mid to high ball flight and that is exactly what I am seeing from it. The shaft weighs in at 81 grams and just feels incredibly stable throughout the swing. For me the ball just seems to get up in the air and carry, without any ballooning. Hitting them in to greens is nice because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rollout when they hit. As Tadashi would say, the ball lands like a butterfly with sore feet. So far I have been very impressed with this combo. It's only been a week with them, but I can't wait to use them more and more.

Side note: How wicked looking is that shaft?

Spoiler
IMG_0976.jpg
IMG_0974.jpg

I have the silver as well dude. Kind of weird as I typically go for low launching but the entire premise of a hybo is to do exactly what you described. And yes sir, that combo looks great!

I have the silver as well dude. Kind of weird as I typically go for low launching but the entire premise of a hybo is to do exactly what you described. And yes sir, that combo looks great!

Lucas - I know you commented in the MC Video thread about the VTS Hybrid shafts that I have so I thought I'd answer you in here.

As anyone who has been keeping up with the MC talk knows, Bridgestone offered us staffers a slew of shafts to choose from. Well on the shaft sheet they offered the VTS 85 Shafts in Black, Silver, and Red. When I saw these as options I got pretty excited because I had hit the VTS in another hybrid before an really liked it. I also had used the UST Proforce shaft in one of mine so I was pretty confident that going with another UST model would work. According to their website The black shaft launches the lowest with the Red being the highest. After talking to the guys at Bridgestone through BFIT we decided on the VTS Silver.

With the Silver in Stiff flex it's said to produce a mid to high ball flight and that is exactly what I am seeing from it. The shaft weighs in at 81 grams and just feels incredibly stable throughout the swing. For me the ball just seems to get up in the air and carry, without any ballooning. Hitting them in to greens is nice because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rollout when they hit. As Tadashi would say, the ball lands like a butterfly with sore feet. So far I have been very impressed with this combo. It's only been a week with them, but I can't wait to use them more and more.

Side note: How wicked looking is that shaft?

Spoiler
IMG_0976.jpg
IMG_0974.jpg

LOL I was coming in here to talk about the VTS/Hybrid combo and the 3+ as well. I'll stick with the Hybrid but once I mentioned I couldn't hook it... ugh they came back! But it was all in the swing. The other bias I'm finding is a fade.

Dean and TC does the VTS feel a bit on the stiff side? I like the J40 Hybrid head quite a bit but it feels different compared to when i was hitting the J40 PX equiped Hybo.

I put my 5 wood and 3 wood in timeou ttoday and only used hybrid and driver as far as my woods go. I hit the hybrid and driver awesome all day. I need some time with the other two to work out some slicer kinks

LOL I was coming in here to talk about the VTS/Hybrid combo and the 3+ as well. I'll stick with the Hybrid but once I mentioned I couldn't hook it... ugh they came back! But it was all in the swing. The other bias I'm finding is a fade.

Dean and TC does the VTS feel a bit on the stiff side? I like the J40 Hybrid head quite a bit but it feels different compared to when i was hitting the J40 PX equiped Hybo.

which flex PX where you hitting?

I put my 5 wood and 3 wood in timeou ttoday and only used hybrid and driver as far as my woods go. I hit the hybrid and driver awesome all day. I need some time with the other two to work out some slicer kinks

I had that the first round I took them out One T. You'll find your groove. I love the Kai li/J40 combo. They were made for each other dude.

I want you to make sure you get some swings with the my 3+ at the range.

Stiff brochacha. 6.0 LOL

to be honest I don't know how the stiffness of these match up to the 6.0 hybrid shaft. I think Jake has that shaft in his hybo so we can compare at MB

to be honest I don't know how the stiffness of these match up to the 6.0 hybrid shaft. I think Jake has that shaft in his hybo so we can compare at MB

That might have to be done. I just feel like its a stiff shaft, maybe its just how I swing. But I like a tip and butt stiff shaft. I still love it, I just lose it right a tad.

Dean, btw I'm absolutely lacing my FW's right now!

I had that the first round I took them out One T. You'll find your groove. I love the Kai li/J40 combo. They were made for each other dude.

I want you to make sure you get some swings with the my 3+ at the range.
I would love to do that!

Anyone curious how these hybrids look at address? Check out the pic below, I really like the silver that is part of the crown as I mentioned very early on after getting these.

3 hybrid
IMG_0203.jpg

Back