TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

You guys are bringin' it with the info here. Loving it.

Thanks buddy. I had the face open with the dots at, lets say, about 3 o'clock. On some I opened it up a bit more, no issues at all with the sole making it through the bare sand regardless of how opened I set it.

Question that pertains to the grip and kind of wedge play in general. Hart, you mentioned you opened it up to about 3 oclock on the dots. Approximately what loft do you feel that opens the wedge up to? 60*? Maybe more? I have always struggled with opening up my CG15's and wondering if I am opening it the same amount every time and I think the dots are really going to help out with that. Even with my limited time w/my 56*, I am already pondering if I should get the 52 next or go ahead and get the 52 and the 60. lol

Nice write-up Jeff. Any reason in particular you seem to have more confidence with the ATV wedge in your hand over you previous wedges?

Nice write-up Jeff. Any reason in particular you seem to have more confidence with the ATV wedge in your hand over you previous wedges?

I really don't know, man. I want to say it's the sole and how it interacts with the ground on different shots. I haven't hit anything fat since my initial first few swings, and that is something I constantly struggle with when it comes to wedges. I did hit a couple thin, but I chalk that up to user error, and not equipment error. If my distances were dialed in, I really feel like I could have hit some amazing shots with this wedge today. I think just salavaging some early shots that I couldn't have with my Cleveland's, or I feel that I couldn't have, gave me a little confidence today and maybe it spilled over into other shots.

Very nice write up, Jeff. For the comment that the digger nature of your swing is causing some extremes, think "use the bounce" when swinging - if you get what I'm saying. Doing this really allows the sole of the club to do the work for you.

Question that pertains to the grip and kind of wedge play in general. Hart, you mentioned you opened it up to about 3 oclock on the dots. Approximately what loft do you feel that opens the wedge up to? 60*? Maybe more? I have always struggled with opening up my CG15's and wondering if I am opening it the same amount every time and I think the dots are really going to help out with that. Even with my limited time w/my 56*, I am already pondering if I should get the 52 next or go ahead and get the 52 and the 60. lol

To both you and Kmac, I thought about the 3 o'clock comment and that didn't seem right. So, I got up out of bed, went to my car, and grabbed my clubs to check it out because it was going to bother me if I didn't. It is more like 1 o'clock for the ones I wanted to run, and 2 o'clock for the ones I wanted to bite harder. See below for pics.

I would say 1 o'clock put me around square 58-60°, and 2 o'clock maybe around 62-64° (i.e. slightly opened 60°).

1 o'clock

2qizpc4.jpg

2 o'clock

r7kwsh.jpg

Hope this helps make things more clear...I knew 3 o'clock didn't sound right once I really thought about it.

Now I'm off to bed for real, another long day in the office tomorrow.

I really don't know, man. I want to say it's the sole and how it interacts with the ground on different shots. I haven't hit anything fat since my initial first few swings, and that is something I constantly struggle with when it comes to wedges. I did hit a couple thin, but I chalk that up to user error, and not equipment error. If my distances were dialed in, I really feel like I could have hit some amazing shots with this wedge today. I think just salavaging some early shots that I couldn't have with my Cleveland's, or I feel that I couldn't have, gave me a little confidence today and maybe it spilled over into other shots.

Confidence is a funny thing. Thanks for trying to put it into words for me.

I just wanted to say to all of the testers that you guys are KILLING IT with the reviews! It's almost too much information to take in at one time, but keep up the great feedback.

Anybody doing the testing have a 588 to compare the ATV too?

Very nice write up, Jeff. For the comment that the digger nature of your swing is causing some extremes, think "use the bounce" when swinging - if you get what I'm saying. Doing this really allows the sole of the club to do the work for you.

To both you and Kmac, I thought about the 3 o'clock comment and that didn't seem right. So, I got up out of bed, went to my car, and grabbed my clubs to check it out because it was going to bother me if I didn't. It is more like 1 o'clock for the ones I wanted to run, and 2 o'clock for the ones I wanted to bite harder. See below for pics.

I would say 1 o'clock put me around square 58-60°, and 2 o'clock maybe around 62-64° (i.e. slightly opened 60°).

1 o'clock

2qizpc4.jpg

2 o'clock

r7kwsh.jpg

Hope this helps make things more clear...I knew 3 o'clock didn't sound right once I really thought about it.

I appreciate the follow up. After I made my post, I went over and grabbed mine and thought 'wow, 3 o'clock is waaay open'. Your reply made it very clear. Thanks again.

Seriously man, this thing is like magic. I've never had a wedge work so well through the turf.

i could not agree more with that statement.

I wish I did. Kmac, maybe? I am betting someone has some 588 experience in this testing group.

I think InHartWeTrust might have mentioned gaming.

Maybe he can give some experience.

I think InHartWeTrust might have mentioned gaming.

Maybe he can give some experience.

Dude has been phenomenal thus far. If he told me he played golf with Jesus, Elvis and Gumby, at this point, I would believe him.

Dude has been phenomenal thus far. If he told me he played golf with Jesus, Elvis and Gumby, at this point, I would believe him.

No doubt... at the same time.

All kidding aside, The initial test thoughts alone have put me as well as many others in full ponder mode.. We'll see how everyone likes them after the honeymoon wears off some. :alien:

Jeff, that was a great read. Sorry for leaving several others out, but I'm still playing catch up after work, so some of this might not get read until morning, along with posting my own results and vids from yesterday and today.

I will say that so far I'm seeing pro's and con's with the ATV in my game. I would think that's pretty normal as this is a much different setup than my CG14's/15's, time will tell if the pro's out weight the con's during a round. From 90 to 100 yards these are magic, but I continue to struggle with the bump and run which in the past was my bread and butter shot.

1 o'clock

2qizpc4.jpg

2 o'clock

r7kwsh.jpg

Catching up on this thread tonight. Lots of outstanding posts. Another great testing thread. Seems to be happening more and more with this Kmac dude being all responsible and all. This post is awesome. Runs out to the car late night just to post some pics! Outstanding!!

OMG, finally caught up!! The testers are fantastic in this thread! Question, and sorry if I skim-missed this:

How much of your results is club vs. practice?
Does this club lead you to wanting to practice more?
For those of you who have tried SCOR, how do the ATVs compare?

Thanks in advance, ya'll are ROCKIN' it!

OMG, finally caught up!! The testers are fantastic in this thread! Question, and sorry if I skim-missed this:

For me, I just need more time with the ATV's. I think once I get distances down and learn to trust it more, it is going to be a dynamic all purpose wedge. Honestly, for me, I don't think I would need a wedge above this 56*. I really enjoyed it around the greens today and that was where the majority of my success was, getting shots close enough to the hole for manageable par chances and bogey, if it played out that way.

I wish I had a more upscale range, where I could really see the spin effects, as well as practice bunker play, without dropping tons of balls during a round, and hoping no one comes upon me. My buddy was in tons of sand today. Had he not been a lefty, I would have handed him the ATV and asked him to try it out for me.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

Thanks for the excellent questions d_in_la, I will keep these in mind as I continue to test this week.

I may have mentioned this before, but the first thing that I did when I got the range the first time I used this club was chip. Immediately I hit 5 balls within 3 feet of each other and they were less than two feet from the hole, it was the best I have ever hit chip shots. I also have sucked at pitching since I started playing 10 months ago but the ATV helped me hit pitch shots crisply and I was able to control my distance easy and the Penta TP5s stopped within 1 foot of where they hit. I would say that it was more the club that was helping me than practice because even though my technique has improved, I was using the improper equipment for each shot.

Having this club in my arsenal really makes me want to practice more and improve my short game since I feel like I now have a wedge that can allow me to perform the shots I need to do without hitting the ball wrong.

I have never tried or seen SCOR wedges in person but I can say so far I have had better luck than with my old Vokey wedges and so far I seem to still like my xFT wedges but the ATV is slowly creeping up to gain my favor. I think the large sole is awkward but the way it performs says otherwise.

Although my thoughts are only initial, I need more time to see how the ATV holds out. I still need to do some course work where the lies and situations are left to chance and the environment. I will be playing a round on saturday at a desert course where if I miss, I'm left in deep ravines and nasty rocky fairway bunkers.

Great work from the testers. The photos of the lies give a much better idea of what you were hitting out of rather than just a description. Keep up the excellent work.

1 o'clock

2qizpc4.jpg

2 o'clock

r7kwsh.jpg

lol at you getting out of bed and taking some pictures, I love it. Thanks for clearing that up though actually helps a lot.

Anybody doing the testing have a 588 to compare the ATV too?

I think someone in the group did but it wasnt me. Ive only had a little experience with the 588's at the outing. Very different wedges to me. Way more forgiveness in the ATV.

This made me LOL

That is a really good question. I know I dont practice as much as I should or as Id like to. Yesterday was my first time out at the practice green in a while and to say I enjoyed it would be a huge understatement. I found myself saying "I wonder how it will do with this type of lie or shot" till it got dark out. So that sort of answers both the first two questions.

I think there's a pretty thin line here between "club" and "practice." The club is definitely going to take some using to get the feel down, obviously. But the sole really does everything that TaylorMade said, thus making it a more beneficial club to hit. I don't practice my wedge game nearly enough as I should, and it took me about 10 shots to get this puppy right into the groove of it.

It definitely makes me want to practice more. I feel there is so much potential with this wedge that I could virtually do anything with it. I plan on definitely going out and filming some shots into greens and whatnot just to show some of the different options.

Sorry I couldn't answer more thoroughly, I'm heading into work in 2 minutes!

I haven't read every testing thread on the forum, but I've got to say that this is almost certainly the finest testing thread I've seen. And it's still early days.
I'm looking forward to the post-honeymoon phase for these, just because the early reviews are so overwhelmingly positive.

I admit to some confusion over the soles on these. Is there anything fundamentally different from the way SCOR and others do it? It seems that the number of ways to provide variable bounce would be limited, but a year ago I couldn't have explained bounce if pressed...so I just don't know what the differences would be.

Have any of the testers hit SCORs? And have they found any differences to speak of?

Again, great testing. This is what drew me to the site in the first place.

Boys - I have seen your questions to me, and I will get a response up to them as soon as possible, as well as d_in_la's questions. I am going to try to find some time to get them answered while I'm here at work, otherwise, I will get to them this evening. Thanks for all the feedback and questions you have all given us so far, I love it.

Just catching up on this thread. Good stuff so far guys. It seems as though there are a lot of similar thoughts/themes for you guys and this wedge.

Kmac, sweet picture documenting. I like it. Quick question though: have you thought about maybe having the lies bent upright just a hair? Maybe eliminate some of those toe strikes?

I haven't read every testing thread on the forum, but I've got to say that this is almost certainly the finest testing thread I've seen. And it's still early days.
I'm looking forward to the post-honeymoon phase for these, just because the early reviews are so overwhelmingly positive.

I admit to some confusion over the soles on these. Is there anything fundamentally different from the way SCOR and others do it? It seems that the number of ways to provide variable bounce would be limited, but a year ago I couldn't have explained bounce if pressed...so I just don't know what the differences would be.

Have any of the testers hit SCORs? And have they found any differences to speak of?

Again, great testing. This is what drew me to the site in the first place.

Thanks for the kind words jmatt. I'll be curious too going forward to see how things change after the break in period, if at all. Im not going to pull your leg about bounce either as I dont know or claim to understand it totally. Looks to me what TM did here is simplify it for people like us. The ATV bounce basically changes depending on how you position the head and face of the club. While I have tried the SCOR wedges it was only briefly but I think the idea is very similar.

Just catching up on this thread. Good stuff so far guys. It seems as though there are a lot of similar thoughts/themes for you guys and this wedge.

Kmac, sweet picture documenting. I like it. Quick question though: have you thought about maybe having the lies bent upright just a hair? Maybe eliminate some of those toe strikes?

No I havent, I just assumed it was user error. You think I should look into that?

Back