Replacing the shaft vs a whole new driver

Renren89

Reaction score
Handicap
So I was thinking about a new driver but I was also thinking about reshafting my current one due to the much lower costs (i'd be getting fitted for both)
I was wondering if there's really that much of a difference between changing the whole setup vs just replacing the shaft and keeping the current driver head

In my opinion it would depend on what you didn't like about the current set up and what your desired results are. Personally I would look at getting a new shaft. If you don't feel confident looking down at the head at address or if the 10.5 was too much loft then I would lean towards new driver

In my opinion it would depend on what you didn't like about the current set up and what your desired results are. Personally I would look at getting a new shaft. If you don't feel confident looking down at the head at address or if the 10.5 was too much loft then I would lean towards new driver

I don't have a problem with the loft or looking down at it. I"m more wondering if there's really a big difference between most driver heads or if the big difference is going to be seen in the shaft

There's a big difference between shafts, that's for sure. If you can get properly fitted, and try out a few shafts, you'll get a feel for the difference there.

Agreed that I would go the shaft route. If you like the head and the characteristics (shape, color, alignment aid) plus the performance (low spin/mid launch, whatever) then you can likely spend a little more on a shaft that will match that head and be a very good combination.

There;s a guy I play with (I've probably said this before) who has bought 12 new drivers since 2009. He buys them on eBay without ever having tried them and thinks they will work because the manufacturer's description is so good! After it doesn't work he'd just buy another one. The problem with doing so it that you are just jumping from stock shaft to stock shaft, which creates problems because even if the shaft is good for you the head may not be. So I recommend finding the right head, then getting a shaft to go with it, and you may not need another driver for years.

I don't have a problem with the loft or looking down at it. I"m more wondering if there's really a big difference between most driver heads or if the big difference is going to be seen in the shaft
I was having issues with several drivers and finally took in my old 2008 F Speed Cobra 9.5. I ended up having the local fitter put in a UST ProForce V2 65g Stiffy. He also cut it down like 5/8". The control I got back was like night and day. Ask Chewie and Ole Gray how I hit that ol' 2008. I can still flat out bomb balls with old trusty.
Go shaft fitting!

I was about to bump this thread for Kmac

Think you will be amazed at just how much of a difference a shaft can make. If the loft currently works for you in your driver, than a shaft change in all that may be needed.

I would still get a full fitting though because once the shaft changes, the loft needed in your driver may also change. So, I would go through a full fitting to get your specs figured out and go from there.

So I was thinking about a new driver but I was also thinking about reshafting my current one due to the much lower costs (i'd be getting fitted for both)
I was wondering if there's really that much of a difference between changing the whole setup vs just replacing the shaft and keeping the current driver head

Replacing the shaft is a great idea if you like the head (look, feel, sound). However, it is not always the cheapest option. Some shafts are upwards of $350 and that is without the cost of installation and grip.

My R9 with the original shaft was a solid offering for me, but I thought I could do better with another shaft. I experimented with numerous shafts and found the Miazaki blue worked lights out better, but that's anything but saving money. Moving forward I won the Williams driver and found the extra distance I was wanting with the same control, but sure miss the feel of the Miazaki throughout my swing. I may wind up having that shaft put into the Williams as a test soon.

My R9 with the original shaft was a solid offering for me, but I thought I could do better with another shaft. I experimented with numerous shafts and found the Miazaki blue worked lights out better, but that's anything but saving money. Moving forward I won the Williams driver and found the extra distance I was wanting with the same control, but sure miss the feel of the Miazaki throughout my swing. I may wind up having that shaft put into the Williams as a test soon.

this may be a dumb question but did you have to just bite the bullet and buy the shaft to test it out or did you find a place that had it to demo in the r9 head?

Kmac just read IceMan's posts and laughed at only 12 drivers in 3 years.

Kmac just read IceMan's posts and laughed at only 12 drivers in 3 years.

Haha wow........ more than that is ridiculous. 13+ in three years?

depends on how current your current driver is,

if it's a season or two old (or older) it may be hard to get fit for a new/better shaft for it since that old fitting inventory may be long gone

depends on how current your current driver is,

if it's a season or two old (or older) it may be hard to get fit for a new/better shaft for it since that old fitting inventory may be long gone
It's a local shop that does mostly custom clubs so I got the impression that they wouldn't have a problem even with older clubs

I'm sure they're capable of performing the shaft swap, just commenting that you may not be able to hit the shafts you're looking at in your particular head

I just reshafted my old Cobra L4V - with a 70 gr Graffaloy Pro Custom shaft. So its a first for me, I usually buy new drivers when I get sick and tired of the old ones - but the L4V´s been with me for a lot of years so I figured I try this for fun. Haven´t tried it on course yet, but will do so this weekend in a greensome competition.

Back