2012 Cleveland Mashie Hybrids & Irons

I don't hook the 2012 Mashie. Not one bit. But then again, JB isn't seeing anything like that between the two, so perhaps it's just me.

The only time I would hook the older model is when I try to over swing, then it hooks pretty good. But take a nice even swing and all seems fine.

I don't hook the 2012 Mashie. Not one bit. But then again, JB isn't seeing anything like that between the two, so perhaps it's just me.

I dont think its just you. We heard lots of people who felt that about the last model. As mentioned, I think I was in the minority in that aspect.

Bit of a breakthrough with the M5 lately, had to pull it twice today. Once from the rough into a par 4, ball wasn't buried but it wasn't sitting up either. I hate this shot with a hybrid, in the past I've been bad about going right under the ball. Not with the Mashie Hybrid, I find the slightly taller face to give me a bit more confidence to stay through the ball. Pulled the shot off perfectly, nice high draw which promptly landed on the downslope of the green and rolled to the back fringe.

The next time was from a fairway lie on a 175 yard shot, caught this one just a tiny bit heavy and came up 3 feet short. Not a terrible result for having a bit heavy contact, certainly better than I deserved which I credit entirely to the sole and glide rail design.

Bit of a breakthrough with the M5 lately, had to pull it twice today. Once from the rough into a par 4, ball wasn't buried but it wasn't sitting up either. I hate this shot with a hybrid, in the past I've been bad about going right under the ball. Not with the Mashie Hybrid, I find the slightly taller face to give me a bit more confidence to stay through the ball. Pulled the shot off perfectly, nice high draw which promptly landed on the downslope of the green and rolled to the back fringe.

The next time was from a fairway lie on a 175 yard shot, caught this one just a tiny bit heavy and came up 3 feet short. Not a terrible result for having a bit heavy contact, certainly better than I deserved which I credit entirely to the sole and glide rail design.

Good to hear you are seeing better results with this one. It's such a versatile club, can be a game changer for many. I think you'll find your stride with it.

Good to hear you are seeing better results with this one. It's such a versatile club, can be a game changer for many. I think you'll find your stride with it.

Night and day man, finally getting in a groove and I must say I'm looking for chances to use this one on the course now.

Oh nice UGA picture :act-up:

After a few rounds with these hybrids, I can better talk about their performance. With the 2 hybrid, I've basically used it off of the tee as I haven't had >200 yard shots from the fairway in the past few rounds. While I am struggling a little bit with hooking this club, I think that it is more operator error than the club, because I don't have those issue at all with the 4 hybrid. The 4 hybrid has become a go-to club for me from 180-200 yards, and I'm definitely able to hit the ball high and soft. One shot was really eye-opening for me, it was a 3rd shot into a par 5. After some trouble off of the tee, I ended up with about 190 yards to a small green that was uphill from where I was. It's normally harder for me to stop the ball on an uphill green, but I wanted to try to hit the green in regulation, so I took out the 4 hybrid. I hit a shot that had a very small draw on it, and I saw it bounce on the green but didn't know where it ended up. When I got up to the green, I saw that the ball had released maybe 15-20 feet from its pitchmark, I was worried before that it would roll through the green. I was able to save par on the hole, and the 4 hybrid has been a life saver for me on holes like that.

I was a little nervous about not being able to hit the 2 hybrid all that high with the lower loft than prior hybrids I've played, but that has not been an issue. For those that have played hybrid shafts in the 80 gram range in the past, the C. Kua 83 hybrid shaft is a solid performer. I played the Matrix Ozik Altus hybrid shafts prior to this, and I haven't noticed a huge difference in my ballflight. So don't be scared off by Miyazaki listing that shaft as a low launching shaft if you have had experience with other premium hybrid shafts and want to try out a Mashie hybrid.

I'm going to keep working on using the 2 hybrid as a club to use off of the tee mainly as another option to my driver and 3 wood, and the 4 hybrid will continue to be a great option for longer shots off of the fairway.

After a few rounds with these hybrids, I can better talk about their performance. With the 2 hybrid, I've basically used it off of the tee as I haven't had >200 yard shots from the fairway in the past few rounds. While I am struggling a little bit with hooking this club, I think that it is more operator error than the club, because I don't have those issue at all with the 4 hybrid. The 4 hybrid has become a go-to club for me from 180-200 yards, and I'm definitely able to hit the ball high and soft. One shot was really eye-opening for me, it was a 3rd shot into a par 5. After some trouble off of the tee, I ended up with about 190 yards to a small green that was uphill from where I was. It's normally harder for me to stop the ball on an uphill green, but I wanted to try to hit the green in regulation, so I took out the 4 hybrid. I hit a shot that had a very small draw on it, and I saw it bounce on the green but didn't know where it ended up. When I got up to the green, I saw that the ball had released maybe 15-20 feet from its pitchmark, I was worried before that it would roll through the green. I was able to save par on the hole, and the 4 hybrid has been a life saver for me on holes like that.

I was a little nervous about not being able to hit the 2 hybrid all that high with the lower loft than prior hybrids I've played, but that has not been an issue. For those that have played hybrid shafts in the 80 gram range in the past, the C. Kua 83 hybrid shaft is a solid performer. I played the Matrix Ozik Altus hybrid shafts prior to this, and I haven't noticed a huge difference in my ballflight. So don't be scared off by Miyazaki listing that shaft as a low launching shaft if you have had experience with other premium hybrid shafts and want to try out a Mashie hybrid.

I'm going to keep working on using the 2 hybrid as a club to use off of the tee mainly as another option to my driver and 3 wood, and the 4 hybrid will continue to be a great option for longer shots off of the fairway.

Nice thoughts dude. It's great to have another option off the tee. That is huge.

Nice thoughts dude. It's great to have another option off the tee. That is huge.

Yeah, it will be nice to have a 200-215 yard option off of the tee. I am just not syncing my body and arms up well, and that's where the hook comes in. I just haven't hit the 2 hybrid enough, because I've hit the 4 hybrid enough to know what type of swing works, and I really like that club.

Yeah, it will be nice to have a 200-215 yard option off of the tee. I am just not syncing my body and arms up well, and that's where the hook comes in. I just haven't hit the 2 hybrid enough, because I've hit the 4 hybrid enough to know what type of swing works, and I really like that club.

Awesome man. That distance is such an underrated distance. To me that is where I lose a lot of strokes (200-220 range). Trying to do too much.

Great to hear you are loving the 4 hybrid Ary. What is the distance gap for you between 2 hybrid and 3 wood?

Great to hear you are loving the 4 hybrid Ary. What is the distance gap for you between 2 hybrid and 3 wood?

yorkem, it's hard for me to say because my home course has a lot of elevation changes so it's hard to gauge distances, and I'm not one to chart a bunch of distances via GPS while out on the course. However, in the limited time that I've had with the 2 hybrid, I'd probably say it's anywhere from 15-20 yards shorter than the 3 wood. In a perfect world, my total distances would work like this: driver 260, 3 wood 240, 2 hybrid 220, 4 hybrid 200. Due to the way I'm hitting my long clubs right now, I'd probably take 10-15 yards off of all of those right now. However, in terms of the hybrids themselves, I am seeing more of a gap between the 2 hybrid and 4 hybrid than I did with my prior hybrids that were closer in lofts, so that is a nice thing. Having a bigger gap eliminates some indecision between which hybrid to play on a particular shot, if that makes any sense.

yorkem, it's hard for me to say because my home course has a lot of elevation changes so it's hard to gauge distances, and I'm not one to chart a bunch of distances via GPS while out on the course. However, in the limited time that I've had with the 2 hybrid, I'd probably say it's anywhere from 15-20 yards shorter than the 3 wood. In a perfect world, my total distances would work like this: driver 260, 3 wood 240, 2 hybrid 220, 4 hybrid 200. Due to the way I'm hitting my long clubs right now, I'd probably take 10-15 yards off of all of those right now. However, in terms of the hybrids themselves, I am seeing more of a gap between the 2 hybrid and 4 hybrid than I did with my prior hybrids that were closer in lofts, so that is a nice thing. Having a bigger gap eliminates some indecision between which hybrid to play on a particular shot, if that makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense buddy. I could see the 220 with the 2 hybrid (in my mind), but 240 with the 3W is not something I see too often, so that was my reason for the question. Basically they would be very similar for me.

This is kind of off topic but if anyone here is pondering a Mashie for cheap, I'm selling my 2011 Mashie M3 for 55 +5 shipping on the market place, I loved the Mashie but I seem to have been hitting my irons so well and the Mashie gives me too much of a draw

Has anyone else observed that (too much draw-hook?)

This is kind of off topic but if anyone here is pondering a Mashie for cheap, I'm selling my 2011 Mashie M3 for 55 +5 shipping on the market place, I loved the Mashie but I seem to have been hitting my irons so well and the Mashie gives me too much of a draw

Has anyone else observed that (too much draw-hook?)

That issue is well documented in the original mashie thread. Have you tried the tour version? It has less offset and a heavier shaft which helps prevent that issue.

That issue is well documented in the original mashie thread. Have you tried the tour version? It has less offset and a heavier shaft which helps prevent that issue.

No I never even knew they had a tour one haha, that probably would help me it sucks cause i love the Mashie and I never thought I would need less offset, plus now my swing speed is 100-105 on woods so the stiff might not be helping as much

No I never even knew they had a tour one haha, that probably would help me it sucks cause i love the Mashie and I never thought I would need less offset, plus now my swing speed is 100-105 on woods so the stiff might not be helping as much

I have both and I go back and forth between them. I would actually like to swap shafts and see what the results would be.

I have both and I go back and forth between them. I would actually like to swap shafts and see what the results would be.

That would be a cool experiment, another issue I saw was that some of the mashies had little pieces of epoxy rolling around in the club head, the pro shop said it was normal

That would be a cool experiment, another issue I saw was that some of the mashies had little pieces of epoxy rolling around in the club head, the pro shop said it was normal

I haven't seen or heard of any issues like that. I am kind of sad to see it leave your bag as I liked seeing some equipment from a MC sponsor in that bag of yours.

I haven't seen or heard of any issues like that. I am kind of sad to see it leave your bag as I liked seeing some equipment from a MC sponsor in that bag of yours.

Me too, I loved the quality and the head cover was killer, it makes me sad because Cleveland is such a great company!

That's also why I hope a THPer will buy it because I don't want it to waste away in the woodshed. . .

I am looking forward to digging through the staffers bags on media day and checking out the differences in the 2012 version. Sounds like the staffer are enjoying what they have seen so far.

I haven't hooked one of these yet, but we're all different in that regard.

Hit three mashies today and they were all right what I was looking for. One GIR with the M4 on longer par 3 that I never seem to hit, through the green from the rough on an approach, and a nice layup on a par 5 that set me up for a wedge into the green.

Ball flight was high! It carried nicely for me.

I was able to use the Mashie 5 a few times during my round on Saturday as well as a few swings on the range while warming up. I must say after trying last years hybrid I'm amazed how different the two are, I haven't been able to yank the Mashie+ left at all. At most I see a gentle draw, maybe 5 yards at most. On the range I was just dropping a few balls and hitting them how they laid, since I was a little tight I got a chance to test the entire face :act-up: and I can say I didn't notice much loss of distance or control on balls that were hit towards the toe or a little high on the face. Maybe a little more fade or a little lower ball flight but nothing that would have given me concern on the course unless I was playing into a very small target in which case I wouldn't have been hitting hybrid anyway. When struck pure it goes exactly where you wanted it to and it when it arrives it sits nice and soft.

On the course I had a layup from the rough, this shot I just wanted to hit about 180 and give myself a little wedge into the green. The clubhead got down thought the wet bermuda with no problem and my ball found the 100 yd mark just how I wanted. The next time was also from the rough after I dead pushed a drive into oblivion. I had 175 to the pin and needed to make something happen here to have a shot at saving par, again the Mashie got through the thick rough and the ball exploded off the face. Unfortunately I got a bad kick and found myself off the green to the right. Also I was able to use it from the tee on a par 3 over water, my kryptonite. However since I've built some confidence with this hybrid recently and my playing partner gave me a little boost I hit exactly how I wanted, even though I came up a tad short of the green (we were into a slight wind) I was very pleased with the result. This is especially important because for me hitting hybrids off the tee can be a bit of a challenge a times, one thing I learned is I don't need to use an Epoch tee when using a hybrid. I could feel the club hit the tee and it just felt weird. The final time I was able use the Mashie was a layup on a par 5. Nothing real crazy here just wanted to get to a yardage where I could take a PW into the green and feel confident about putting it close. Again great result, left center of the fairway and gave me a great look at the green.

All in all after a grip change I'm ecstatic with the new Mashie, great performance from the fairway and incredible out of the rough, everything I want from a hybrid.

great Mashie write-up SW.

i've found that a lot of times, i will pick up too quickly on the Mashie and tend to top the ball. that is my goto miss...happens to the best of us, every once in awhile...usually when i try to crush it and/or sometimes work it.

other than that, i'm very pleased with my M3 and M4...they go right where i need them to go. they're great out of the rough and they are a perfect club for that safe approach shot on par 5s and for some of those longer par 3s.

I had to hit both of my hybrids more often than normal today, I played a course with a lot of narrow fairways and holes where less than driver off of the tee was the play. When I made my normal swing, I was hitting some bullets off of the tee with the 2 hybrid, like when I hit the first 2 fairways of the day without any warmup shots, I walked directly to the first tee. However, when I tried to get a little more distance out of these and swung harder from the top, I ended up getting some big hooks that costs me some strokes off of the tee. I also had the same thing happen when I tried to go HAM on a 4 hybrid out of the rough to try to get to a par 5 in 2 shots, I should have just swung normally and been happy with getting somewhat close to the front of the green. I just have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to swing out of my shoes to get good distance and accuracy out of these hybrids.

i completely agree Ary. i too find that if i just put a nice normal swing on these, that they do what i want. but when i try to crush it, big ol' hook or pull hook. the problem is, is that they look some damn aggressive and you do just want to crush every shot. lol

the mashies off the tee are pretty good for me, but the mashies out of the fairway rough were not yesterday. i had the chance to hit M4 twice there, and i don't even want to talk about it. it was shameful. seems to be the same story sometimes with the CG Black 3wood too. good some days, awful at other times. but it's all in the swing.

Back