Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

hahaha, that's awesome. Sweet purchase Colt! For some odd reason I had a feeling you would end up with these. I'm certainly looking forward to you joining me with the CB/PXi feedback. You got yourself one amazing looking combination. Interesting that you felt the CB's were more forgiving than the CMB's. That certainly wasn't the majority of the feedback from demo day at the outing. It's been fun watching you waver back and forth and narrow down your decision. What grips did you go with?

Who thought CMB's were more forgiving? How so?? What did you think judging by how others were hitting them???

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Who thought CMB's were more forgiving? How so?? What did you think judging by how others were hitting them???

I thought the CMBs were more forgiving than the 588s. But that's me, in your hands you saw something else. I'm actually glad you went the route you did, Morgan cup love all day. But I based on what I felt at demo day, the CMBs provided more forgiveness in my hamds

I thought the CMBs were more forgiving than the 588s. But that's me, in your hands you saw something else. I'm actually glad you went the route you did, Morgan cup love all day. But I based on what I felt at demo day, the CMBs provided more forgiveness in my hamds

I guess it's all relative to what your miss is as well. My miss for example is a bit thin. I try to delay my hands for so long that sometimes I don't get the release in time and the head doesn't get down into the ball. It seems that the lower/sharper leading edge of the 588's just helped a tad with that.

No magical CMB talk in my 588 forged awesomeness thread! Only real life feedback and on course findings. No scoring iron, par 3 fluff allowed up in here!

J/k. Colt, I reckon you're going to dig on those stock grips. They've grown on me a hair.

Trust me. In the sunlight those chrome heads already out"shine" the i20's. I was getting used to the satin finish so much so that the glare off of the chrome was one of the major detractors in these.

Great backup set by the way hahahaha. Sick that you have two sets that are freaking awesome!

I do believe these irons and I are starting to click in a very good way and it is starting to show on the scorecard. My yardages with each club are still a little fuzzy but I'm getting a good range for each club, plenty of time to get it more dialed in as my swing gets more fluid over the next few weeks.

What has become clear the past few times out is that I am seeing a very repeatable performance from these irons. What I mean by that is I do not see a wide margin in terms of side to side misses nor in terms of length. This was evident on an 8 iron shot I had into a par 4 today, caught it just a smidge thin but I wasn't punished more than 5 yards. I had 151 and I hit it a few yards short to a front pin.

Something I've mentioned before is how great these irons feel at impact and how they blast through the turf. God I swear it is an addicting feeling. The gentle whack of club meeting ball followed by nothing, it is almost you don't even feel yourself taking a divot. I've never experienced anything like that in an iron, I like it.

It makes you want to focus more on your ball striking doesn't it?

I feel like a better golfer with these irons. Simple as that.

It makes you want to focus more on your ball striking doesn't it?

I feel like a better golfer with these irons. Simple as that.

Exactly. Before the round I swung over to the range and warmed up with the 9 iron. Man these make me concentrate but the results are oh so rewarding.

--
Tapatalk2

I made a quick stop by the golf store yesterday and brought my 6 iron with me to check my lie angles, as discussed earlier. My original fitter was there as well, so it worked out great. So we slapped on some tape and threw down the board and wouldn't you know it.........damn near close to perfect! I only really had to hit 1 shot to be sure but hit about 3 and they all were dead on. This made me pretty happy to know that my clubs and my swing are right where they need to be right now. Even if they don't need changed, I'm glad I got that checked out....I mean, I know I only did one club, but it should translate thru the rest of them...Besides, I didn't have much time yesterday and I have a big tournament coming up tomorrow so it's not like I would've had them adjusted anyway...

Also...I think they crank up the altitude or yardage measure to boost peoples confidence or sell clubs...cuz i was smoking the 6 iron like 190. lol. maybe in Texas....

So, as everyone knows I'm impatient and impractical so I canceled my special order on the 588CB's and picked up a set OTR. A local club builder stocks PXi and has 6.0 in stock. So the OTR set is in the shop getting a high performance engine swap and will be ready to game on Thursday!

COLT, you are crazy lol.

I'll have a little more of an update later tonight or tomorrow, but here's a cool stat. Every full swing I took with these scored me a GIR today. 3 of my 4 were with these. 8,9, and PW. One was a 9 iron to 6 feet on a par 3. That's not accuracy that I see often, so has me wondering if the lie angles are helping bring these alive for me. Fell in love with the 588's today for sure.

Scratch that. There was another that hit the fringe short to a front pin. From a downhill lie and not high enough to miss the very top if a tree.

Posted via tapatalk

Scratch that. There was another that hit the fringe short to a front pin. From a downhill lie and not high enough to miss the very top if a tree.

Posted via tapatalk

Can you even count that?!?! That's a tough shot for almost anyone with an index.

lol good point. It was a textbook GAIR. If I'd hit that I would have had my highest number of GIR in nine holes ever.

lol good point. It was a textbook GAIR. If I'd hit that I would have had my highest number of GIR in nine holes ever.

I am sooo freaking anxious to slide one of these out of the bag on Thursday and rain pitch mark producing hell on some greens at Klipper!

I went 1* strong across the board on my set. I'll tweak lofts to match up i20 distances as I see fit.

I am sooo freaking anxious to slide one of these out of the bag on Thursday and rain pitch mark producing hell on some greens at Klipper!

I went 1* strong across the board on my set. I'll tweak lofts to match up i20 distances as I see fit.

I want your money.

Look at you go Colt! Your lack of patience will pay off. Outstanding decision IMO. Are you going to go ahead and have the PXi's thrown in or are you going to give them a whirl with the S300's for a bit?

Look at you go Colt! Your lack of patience will pay off. Outstanding decision IMO. Are you going to go ahead and have the PXi's thrown in or are you going to give them a whirl with the S300's for a bit?

I don't want to ruin the buttery feel of these with no craptastic DG shafts!!! PXi's are being swapped in as we speak.

Man i think I need to go out and give these irons a shot tomorrow. See how i hit them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You know. DG's do give me some pretty good numbers, but I've never really liked the feel of em at all.

I can understand why many consider them a dependable old go to shaft but I just find that I can get all they offer and more in other places.

I don't want to ruin the buttery feel of these with no craptastic DG shafts!!! PXi's are being swapped in as we speak.

Oh snap! You don't mess around. What a lovely combo you're about to have. I think the PXi combo will not be as soft as your i20/PXi combo but man, it's such a solid feeling combination. Uber responsive. Is that island going to be big enough to contain you?

Oh snap! You don't mess around. What a lovely combo you're about to have. I think the PXi combo will not be as soft as your i20/PXi combo but man, it's such a solid feeling combination. Uber responsive. Is that island going to be big enough to contain you?

Well, my yardage with my 4i (1,600 mph club head speed 2,080 ball speed) is Kaneohe to Waikiki. Sooo... Yeah, it should still hold me in its borders. Unless I snap hook one into Lanikai beach in Kailua!

I'd say today was the first time I was really able to see the full potential of what these irons can do for my game. Between some mental struggles and a piss poor tee game, I really hadn't been able to put them to work like I'd wanted. Sure, I'd hit some good shots, but today was different. First off, I don't think I hit one bad shot with them. Better yet, they were all pretty high and soft landing, Even better, they were straight at where I was aiming and the distance I expected.

Ball Flight

The PX shaft wants me to swing it aggressively I think. Today I took a moment to take some good practice swings and then I tried to swing the club fast and finish big. Obviously my fast and your fast might be different, but that's what I feel like I'm doing. Today I hit these about as high as I ever have and I liked it quite a bit. I had a little concern that I was hitting them too low at first, but today made me feel much better. Our greens are firm and I had two balls stop within 5 feet of their pitchmark. That's a good sign to me that I'm getting a pretty decent trajectory. Granted, not nearly as high as some people I play with, but they also swing a lot harder than I do.

Didn't really see much curvature today either, which I was happy about. The 'aggressive' swing really was prone to big looping hooks and I think the combo of the shaft and the lies being fit for me might have helped with that. First GIR of the day came from a PW at 115 yards that was dead center of the face, high, and straight and I could hook a PW like nobody's business. Can't tell you how much confidence that gives me to swing free with the 588's. I thought I was as accurate today with these irons as I've ever been with any irons.

Turf interaction

LOL. None really. I'm shallow swinging and pick the ball if things are going well. I can take a divot, especially if I really screw up and hit a big fatty, but none today that I remember. I guess I can say that they handle the rough like a champ. That's turf interaction I suppose.

Feel

I don't have anything to say about feel today. I don't remember even thinking about it.

Versatility

Really a strength of these irons and one reason I love to play them and others like them. Aside from the full swings, I took two punch type shots with the 6 iron, both putting me back in the fairway and staying below some trees and one pitch with the PW that put me in a good spot on the green.

Hawk, you've got to be thrilled with what you're seeing P.A. (post adjustments). Jeez, you're hitting that level of confidence that you want going into the month of July. I like it!

Colt, I'm stoked you'll be able to join us in this thread soon buddy!

Back