Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Geez I was just saying my driver was awful. It sours everything when you cant get off the tee.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Jake rules. That's a little taste of what Kellyfrog can expect. Except we'll be two or three up on the ninth hole instead of just one.

this rain sucks. I have some work to do. I wish it would just go North and mess with Dean

this rain sucks. I have some work to do. I wish it would just go North and mess with Dean

Hell we could use it. My course looks like yours in December right now. I just took 3 days off for being sick and prayed it rained the entire time but alas it did not. Stupid mother nature.

Hell we could use it. My course looks like yours in December right now. I just took 3 days off for being sick and prayed it rained the entire time but alas it did not. Stupid mother nature.
at least you can get out and play.

at least you can get out and play.

Not sure I will today. Still have absolutely zero energy. Go play in the rain

Not sure I will today. Still have absolutely zero energy. Go play in the rain
nah, its never worth playing in the rain.

One of the last pieces of the puzzle for me in terms of preparation and just for my game in general is course management and making better decisions on the course.

I've literally had guys like JB and TC give tips on this for almost three years, but it's finally starting to sink in. My course frustrates the hell out of me sometimes because it's just hard and I find myself taking shots that consistently put me in bad spots. So, I've been trying my hardest to not only take my medicine when I make a bad shot, but also to think of ways to avoid big numbers on holes that they tend to come into play for me.

Example is our ninth hole. It's not incredibly long (380), but it plays way up a hill. There's a a little landing area, a big hill, then it flattens out to a gradual slope up to the green, which is basically the hardest one on the course. It's a terrible golf hole for me. If you miss right on the approach you are doomed since it falls off into trees and then to the 7th hole. I've seen one person get it up the first hill off the tee the entire year (Jrod). Typically, a drive from most people will actually land on the hill and give you a terrible lie for your approach.

So, yesterday I took fairway wood off the tee and got myself a semi-decent lie from about 160 yards. From here I still had a shot that is still pretty low percentage for me because of the slope and the way the hole is set up. I decided on picking the one shot I knew would go straight - the punch Mashie three wood haha. Choked way down, ball back in my stance and cut my swing off. Worked like a charm and left me just short of the green in a good spot to chip it on. Missed the par putt by an inch or two, but the dreaded double didn't come into play and that's what I normally get there.

Course management will play a big role in the outcome of matches Hawk

Jake, that sounds like it was a freaking awesome round! I bet the adrenaline was pumping.

Hawk - I have no course management and even though I feel like I have bigger fish to fry with bettering my game, it would probably be the easiest way to lower my scores. That is great this it is clicking.

Awesome update Jake...be sure to save some of that for the MC buddy!!

Wow what a great night of some Morgan Cup prep. As I mentioned earlier tonight I subbed for a buddy in their match play league. It's a 2 man better ball league at my club, great league it just never works out for me to join both that league and my normal Wed nights. So tonight I'm playing with one of my real close buddies who's a 6.3, I'm currently at 6.6. Our opponents were guys sporting a 1.6 and 3.3 handicap. OK boys, let's get it on. We had 1 single hole where we got a bump and they didn't our 10th. We started on 10 and these 2 guys are up first and they just frickin' bomb the ball. I was like holy shat what did I get myself into here. But I decided that would be cool because I'd be playing first on every hole so I could put a little pressure on them with some good shots. Well I won't bore you with a shot by shot recap but basically after missing the green on 10 I hit a 60* wedge to 2 feet and went on to par (net birdie) the first. Good guys 1 up. We stayed 1 up until the 15th hole when both my partner and I made bogey and they both made par. So we're back to all square. I made a birdie on the par 5 16th hole where both these guys were easily 50 yards past me off the tee, holy smokes talk about being able to pound a ball into the breeze! Didn't matter though, they both made par and my birdie got us back to 1 up. We'd halve the par 3 17th with pars around and we get to 18 up 1. We go first and I hit a hybrid just in front of the water that runs in front of the green and along the right side. My partner gets up and attempts to do the same but squirts it further right into the water. Uh-oh. Both our opponents play up the left side of the water leaving them under 100 in. It's me against these 2 jokers for all the marbles. I have 160 to the stick into a little breeze. I grab 7....then I'm debating on it....go back for a 6 then say "eff it, commit and it's a 7" and I hit a beauty. It was over the water the entire way to the green and I hit the exact number I needed. Pin high about 20 feet left of the hole. Beat that suckers. Oh boy.....sure enough, one of them did. Inside 15 feet for a birdie. Their other guy missed the green but wedged his ball up to 3 feet and finished up his par. OK, par on the board, can't 3 putt. I hit a putt that tracked the whole way and wound up 2 feet short of the hole, money baby...making that guy make his birdie to tie us on the match. His putt slid just by so I just had to finish up the 2 feet for the win and I did. That 2 feet sure felt a lot longer but I knocked it in dead center, never a doubt.

I was very proud of how I played. I ended up with a 38 (+3) and -1 on the last 3 holes when the heat was on. Man it felt great to perform under the gun like that. I had confidence all night and while I didn't hit every shot great I hit some damn good ones when it mattered. Great prep work indeed! Oh and the Bridgestone clubs and Bettinardi putter just flat out ROCKED!

I feel like I know you pretty well, and I could feel your excitement as I read this post, and was excited right along with you as I read it. Great prep work buddy.

Freaking sucked today. I have completely lost my driver swing. No clue what I am doing wrong. My irons saved my bacon tonight. Finished with a birdie and a 40.

I have no doubt that you will get it straightened out an be hitting it past me again in no time Chunky.

This is no joke. Effing rain has been ridiculous the last 3-4 days.

My boss just told me to 'get outta here' (pretty sure he didn't mean permanently) so I'm headed out to get some wedge work and putting in

My boss just told me to 'get outta here' (pretty sure he didn't mean permanently) so I'm headed out to get some wedge work and putting in

Always nice, enjoy the practice!

I broke a keyboard....among other things as part of my prep work.

Well I had the opportunity to play this afternoon, but when I got there, I made a judgement call. Instead of playing 18 in a slow round I thought it would be best to do the right thing and have a nice long practice session.

I spend two hours just working on my full swing with my wedges and my long irons, and I left the course feeling great about where I am with my swing right now, and the choice I made in practising instead of playing.

Well I had the opportunity to play this afternoon, but when I got there, I made a judgement call. Instead of playing 18 in a slow round I thought it would be best to do the right thing and have a nice long practice session.

I spend two hours just working on my full swing with my wedges and my long irons, and I left the course feeling great about where I am with my swing right now, and the choice I made in practising instead of playing.

Nice CB. Question for you, a lot of guys say they never take full swings with wedges (I am not one of them),and I thought you had said that too. Am I, as Roger Clemens says, misremembering?

Nice CB. Question for you, a lot of guys say they never take full swings with wedges (I am not one of them),and I thought you had said that too. Am I, as Roger Clemens says, misremembering?
Yep, not me, I take full swings with my wedges all the time. Now my full swing with a wedge isn't as full as a swing with an iron or a wood, but a full swing all the same. I need my wedges to be able to hit full shots, and have good gapping at the bottom end of my bag.

Yep, not me, I take full swings with my wedges all the time. Now my full swing with a wedge isn't as full as a swing with an iron or a wood, but a full swing all the same. I need my wedges to be able to hit full shots, and have good gapping at the bottom end of my bag.

Gotcha. I feel the same way about the gaps at the bottom of my bag, and my "full wedge swing".

I'm same way CB. Part of the reason I went with the same shaft in my wedges as I did with my irons.

Gotcha. I feel the same way about the gaps at the bottom of my bag, and my "full wedge swing".

I'm same way CB. Part of the reason I went with the same shaft in my wedges as I did with my irons.
That was a good idea Dean0, I like the shafts fine in my wedges, but I think these wedges would be even better with some KBS Tours in them or some KBS Hi-Rev shafts, but thats just me being picky!

I have already found that in just one weeks time of practising twice when I could have played instead, that I will be much better the next time I do play. I think leading up to the Morgan Cup, I will be playing and practising a lot more than usual, but mostly practising far more. Next week I have already schedualed a couple of extra days off so that I can get a couple of rounds in each of those days so that I can build up some golf stamina for that weekend.

I went opposite field in todays prep. Got my truck all serviced up and put a good shine on it for the drive up.

Cancelled my lesson since I thought I was going to amputate my right leg. Instead my coach and I went over a few things from the round we played together. Little stuff like a pre shot routine, which I didn't have, alignment both in the full swing and putting and how I go about reading putts. Typically I just look at the putt as I walk up to the green and pull the trigger pretty quick. Instead he wants me to make a 360 and look at the putt from other angles, by walking the putt I can get a better feel for the break etc etc. Not something like Ben Crane but being more inclusive about how I read putts instead of taking a quick look and letting it go.

We also talked a little strategy and mental toughness when something goes wrong so I don't let one mistake multiply and come undone by making mental errors. Without swinging a club I actually felt like I learned a lot today about myself and how I approach the game.

Playing with biggsy on Sunday, might see if I can take the long knocker on in some match play.

--
Tapatalk2

I went opposite field in todays prep. Got my truck all serviced up and put a good shine on it for the drive up.

Cancelled my lesson since I thought I was going to amputate my right leg. Instead my coach and I went over a few things from the round we played together. Little stuff like a pre shot routine, which I didn't have, alignment both in the full swing and putting and how I go about reading putts. Typically I just look at the putt as I walk up to the green and pull the trigger pretty quick. Instead he wants me to make a 360 and look at the putt from other angles, by walking the putt I can get a better feel for the break etc etc. Not something like Ben Crane but being more inclusive about how I read putts instead of taking a quick look and letting it go.

We also talked a little strategy and mental toughness when something goes wrong so I don't let one mistake multiply and come undone by making mental errors. Without swinging a club I actually felt like I learned a lot today about myself and how I approach the game.

Playing with biggsy on Sunday, might see if I can take the long knocker on in some match play.

--
Tapatalk2

Good stuff Danny. I'm very interested in everyones putting routines including in the Seemore thread. I don't feel like I give myself a good read but I also don't want to take a full minute just reading a putt

Good stuff Danny. I'm very interested in everyones putting routines including in the Seemore thread. I don't feel like I give myself a good read but I also don't want to take a full minute just reading a putt

Exactly! I've always been nervous about being slow. Plus who wants to take a little longer to lineup a putt then miss 4' left! Guess I need to remember golf isn't a race.

--
Tapatalk2

Good stuff SW, I have a good putting routine that I do every time, but I have no preshot routine on my full swing, and that should change. I will think about that tonight.

Back