Yet another heartbreaking performance.

TMElectric

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
I played in my first tournament today. Nothing big, just a local golf course members tournament. I was asked by a member to play so they let me sign up. I thought this would be good for me to not only test my skills on another course, but to play with some pressure other than what I put on myself. The front nine I was + 4 . Great!!:clapp::clapp: I was leading the tournament at that point. I played one of the best front nine in my life. No 3 putts! Several 1 putts, and the 4 bogey holes were due to missing my shots by inches. 5 par holes and 4 bogey holes. No double bogies or birdies for that matter.

Now to the back nine. + 16 :banghead:. I lost it. I don't know if it was the heat, pressure, nerves or just plain being stupid. I still hit good shots, they were just in the wrong direction. I started 3 and 4 putting. I blew it. I never lost a ball in the woods or water. Played the same one I started with. I just blew it. Just when I think I am starting to get good at this sport, I get deflated. I think it will take some time for me to get over this.

Just thought I would vent a little.

Travis

Sorry to hear that. You have to take some positive things from this and build on it. You played well the first 9 and were leading the tournament. So, you know what you are capable of. Build on that.

Its all part of the process. I know guys who create pressure situations on purpose just to test themselves and get the exact experience you just got. I bet down the road you will look back at the round a great learning experience and something that helped your game.

hang in there, it will be a good experience for you to get your feet wet....next time u will know what to expect and hopefully perform at a higher level with your experience

Thanks all for the replies. At least I know I have it in me to shoot low.

Sorry to hear of the meltdown.
We all do it, so at least you're not alone.
You are right, you know that you can shoot low for 9 holes, now you just have to relax on the back nine and consider it, just another front 9.

Venting is good. It helps clear the system and allows you to move forward. I'm predicting that you will see a nice level of improvement from this -- primarily because you're upset and that leads to motivation.

That's golf man. Some days you get it clicking and other days it's not, and sometimes it can just happen before or after the turn. I don't know about you, but it makes me want to get back out there and give it another whirl. Great front 9 btw!

Don't worry about it dude. You'll get it back. Go with the Tigger: it's a process. Lol.

Buddy, I feel your pain. It's something I am constantly trying to work on and improve on. I can go out, play a decent first nine holes, and completely fall apart on the back nine. Or, suck arse on the front, and piece together a nice back nine to turn things around somewhat. When things start going south, its all I can do to hold on most days. A few weeks ago, I was playing a pretty lousy front nine through the first six holes, ended up paring 7, 8, almost eagling 9 (settled for bird) and paring 10, before a good drive was punished on hole 11 and I carded an 8 and couldn't regroup after that. The fact I was punished for a good drive wore me down and I couldn't hold it together after that. So I am trying to get to the point where if I put up a bad hole or a bad shot ruins a hole, instead of pressing on the next hole to make it up, play conservative off the tee, even on approaches and just try to control the bleeding, not necessarily stop it.

Played the espn challenge a few years ago with my buddy (scratch golfer). I played so bad that the other guys we were playing with we're calling me ball boy. I think the pressure of the competition got to my head and I just lost It. I think I ended up shooting well over 110. We actually tied for best net and we lost on a random playoff hole. I played in other tournaments and it gets easier. Just keep saying to yourself, one hole at a time.

Thanks guys

That sucks. Still, at least you know you have it in you. I'm gonna guess it was nerves. When I won the city tournament, I was having best round of my life. Needed a par to shoot +1 on the final 9, took a double instead. I lost all concentration and just kept thinking that I just need to bogey for a probably playoff, or a par to win it. Instead, I got a double. Somehow, I still won by one stroke.

I'd say overall, it should have been a fantastic experience for you.

~Rock

It sucks, bro. It happens all the time though. The worst part is that it WILL happen again. Life and golf are both all about recovery. Whether it be a shot or a round, how you decide to accept the breaks and recover defines you.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

It's gonna happen!! Doesn't matter what level you play!! I tell my midddle school players all the time that they are goingto make mistakes and that it happens all the time. Watch the tube and you will see the million dollar men making mistakes!! Keep playing....I would love to know I was leading a tournamnet!! I will be rooting for you!

Did you know on the course you were leading after 9 or told inside?

Maybe its a case of just ignoring any leadorbord situation..

If possible I would reccomend marking no cards (a partner can do it) and just take it hole by hole and once finished each hole try to forget about it.. good or bad.. I know a guy who tries to this and it helps him a lot as he just cant handle pressure

Thanks, Shane

Did you know on the course you were leading after 9 or told inside?

Maybe its a case of just ignoring any leadorbord situation..

If possible I would reccomend marking no cards (a partner can do it) and just take it hole by hole and once finished each hole try to forget about it.. good or bad.. I know a guy who tries to this and it helps him a lot as he just cant handle pressure

Thanks, Shane

Good suggesting. I was told at the clubhouse when we made our turn.

You can do one of two things, get down in the dumps and throw your clubs or take a look at the front side and build off of that for the next round.
You had to have made some shots, use those as a confidence boost knowing you CAN do it. Dissect the back side and look at what you could have done differently. Maybe not pulled the driver on 1 hole, made a better chip/pitch shot on another. Work on those things, you know that you have the ability.
Golf is one of those things man, like a woman almost. A wise man once told me that the best way to get over a woman is to get another one so hit the course again and get after it. You have the ability, just telling yourself that.
Best of luck and congratulations.

Back