Average 8i carry distance.

About 160. One time I really got a hold of it, and it went all the way around the world and landed In the same spot. Russia almost declared nuclear war when they saw it, almost like that one time I releases 99 luftbaloons.
~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

Okay that was funny!

I hit my 8 iron which has 40* of loft right around 130 yards. I hit it pretty high so my carry distance is usually my total distance (sometimes rolls forward, sometimes back, sometimes just stops in it's ball mark like I did with my 7 iron this week). I've also had people mention about how effortless I seem to swing so I'm sure if I really wanted to go after it I could get quite a bit extra distance but why bother if I know my distances and can hit them pretty straight.

Sure hitting it as far as some of the pros would be awesome but for armatures knowing their distances and being able to hit it consistently is more important than hitting it long

I do agree. That is why a 65 yo man whipped my in a tournament recently. 5 irons from 150 & rolling them to 8-10 ft!

Mine is 145 in chilly weather 153 in warmer weather. 40* 8I Stock length shaft.

I have noticed the lofts have been altered over the years. I suspect that is why it has gotten more difficult for so many to hit long irons. A 3 iron now is like a 1 or 2 from way 15 years ago.

Right in the 157-162 ish range. Give or take depending on shot shape i guess.

143 yards for my average 8 iron (39 loft) carry at 65 degrees and 2 yards of elevation (Trackman checked)

Some amusing replies heh.

You are correct that the art of club fitting has improved greatly and has become more common. I am not trying to trash the club manufacturers, just pointing out that forgiving irons have been available for many years and the marketing departments have done their jobs masterfully. Unfortunately many golfers I see buy into this marketing and are playing off-the-shelf irons with standard flex, loft, and lie and don't pay enough attention to proper fitting.

My other point is that the Ping Eye 2 is an example of a 30 year old design that has not been improved upon very much. It has a high moment of inertia and is super forgiving. It was and is a great tool for a golfer who can't find the center of the clubface consistently. As most who peruse this website know, Maltby assigns a ranking to irons based on their forgiveness into 6 categories and assigns them a number called "Maltby Playability Factor". The Ping Eye 2 ranks in the "Super Game Improvement" category. Not quite in the "Ultra Game Improvement" class, but certainly as or more forgiving as many of the "game improvement" club manufactured in 2012.

This does quite the disservice to a whole lot of work that goes into making clubs.

Did you have to say average?

My average 8 iron is about 130. Was trying out new irons and was averaging about 10yds more tho.

135 or so.

I would say about 135 to 140 carry.

Somewhere between 135-140 yards. However, I play in the mountains so I am usually pulling it for 125 yard uphill shots and 150 yard downhill shots. Uphill might see a couple of yards of rollout; flat lies or downhill will usually stop dead or hop back a few feet.

You do realize that Maltby clubs rank the best in all categories. Does that mean they are the best? Maltby is said to have the most forgiving BLADES out there. Wait, what?

I think said marketing factor is working on you, with their stupid Maltby Playability Factor.

You are correct that the art of club fitting has improved greatly and has become more common. I am not trying to trash the club manufacturers, just pointing out that forgiving irons have been available for many years and the marketing departments have done their jobs masterfully. Unfortunately many golfers I see buy into this marketing and are playing off-the-shelf irons with standard flex, loft, and lie and don't pay enough attention to proper fitting.

My other point is that the Ping Eye 2 is an example of a 30 year old design that has not been improved upon very much. It has a high moment of inertia and is super forgiving. It was and is a great tool for a golfer who can't find the center of the clubface consistently. As most who peruse this website know, Maltby assigns a ranking to irons based on their forgiveness into 6 categories and assigns them a number called "Maltby Playability Factor". The Ping Eye 2 ranks in the "Super Game Improvement" category. Not quite in the "Ultra Game Improvement" class, but certainly as or more forgiving as many of the "game improvement" club manufactured in 2012.

150 yards carry, usually doesnt roll much beyond that

155 ish. Once I got it out to about 180ish at the range. Couldn't duplicate it though.

When I was using the X-22 Tour went about 140/145 and the Razr X Black 150/155

Unfortunately I'm stuck around the 130 yd mark at the moment. Was previously about 145 but I'm struggling with a tendency to cast during the downswing at the moment.

With a normal swing I get the below, I can get after it and usually get 5 or so more out of each. 3 and 4 roll out 3 to 5 feet after landing, 5, 6 and 7 stay pretty much where they land and the 8 down thru the wedges will come back 2 or 3 feet when playing the B330.

3 iron - 210 yards
4 iron - 200
5 iron - 190
6 iron - 180
7 iron - 170
8 iron - 160
9 iron - 150
PW - 135
AW - 120
SW - 105

My stock 8 iron shot is 160.

Seems to be on the high side but still average none the less- 165-170, not much of a roll ever. Then again I'm told my irons are lofted strong (Burner 2.0). unless I blade it then I'm looking at about 220 after the roll

My 8 iron carries between 150 and 155 with not much roll out.

it's my 150-155 club. hardly any roll out unless from rough.

My 8 iron (traditional lofts, not all jacked up to the loft of an old 7 iron) is my 140 club with a full swing.

145 right now -- I'm hitting my irons 1 club less than normal in distance right now and can't figure it out. I love this game ; )

My 8 iron carries between 145 and 150 with not much roll out.

Just a quick question for the "traditionalists", who gets to decide what the traditional lofts are? With no industry standard, is it really a big deal what companies call a 8 iron today as opposed to 15 years ago?

Just a quick question for the "traditionalists", who gets to decide what the traditional lofts are? With no industry standard, is it really a big deal what companies call a 8 iron today as opposed to 15 years ago?

Traditional lofts are typically seen as the loft used 15-20 years ago and prior IMO.

When talking pure distance, the loft of the club must be considered since they are not equal. I don't think anyone is saying that either is better or more right than the other - just pointing it out for the sake of comparison in this thread.

Traditional lofts are typically seen as the loft used 15-20 years ago and prior IMO.

When talking pure distance, the loft of the club must be considered since they are not equal. I don't think anyone is saying that either is better or more right than the other - just pointing it out for the sake of comparison in this thread.

Right. I just think it's kind of funny to say that the lofts are "jacked up" now. Club design is just better IMO. We can get the forgiveness of an 8iron out of the loft of a 7iron now. So what's wrong about that?

***Not directed at you Cookie. Just directed at the idea.***

Back