Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Yeah, the MC is so emotionally and physically draining that when you get home, golf just isn't the same. It's weird. But I'm ready to start getting back into a groove.

Golf is just boring post MC. I think I need a golf trip or something to get things going again haha

Golf is just boring post MC. I think I need a golf trip or something to get things going again haha

Dude you warned me about it and I just didn't think it would happen to me. I feel like I got ran over by a train. Starting to get over it now but man it was bad

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Dude you warned me about it and I just didn't think it would happen to me. I feel like I got ran over by a train. Starting to get over it now but man it was bad

Yeah. It's just a different feeling.

I saw that buddy, but I'm just not into that sort of thing. It would be nice, but the whole sending them off and paying for that is what I don't like.

Yeah, they would look sweet in a darker iron head. It would tie in with the PXi graphics nicely.

I really wish the 588's that all of you guys tried at the outing and stuff didn't have S300's. I think that shaft does an iron a disservice.

TC , I'm still a noob about shafts and all what is it about the S300's that you don't like?
I'm swinging them in my CB's right now and I kind of prefer them to the KBS 90's I played in the R-11's.
I'll see you at the Tour stop shortly but if you would either PM or we can talk on the phone I'm trying to get a better grasp of the tech. and all.
Thanks

Exactly. If it wasn't for a golftec lesson last week I may have forgotten how to hold a club. It is amazing how much you just want to decompress for a bit, but tonights practice sparked the fire I reckon.

TC , I'm still a noob about shafts and all what is it about the S300's that you don't like?
I'm swinging them in my CB's right now and I kind of prefer them to the KBS 90's I played in the R-11's.
I'll see you at the Tour stop shortly but if you would either PM or we can talk on the phone I'm trying to get a better grasp of the tech. and all.
Thanks

First off, I hate the weight Jim. The S300's are as heavy as they come my friend, and when I get a little golf fatigue and the swing gets lazy, a heavy shaft and I don't agree. I also think they are seriously lacking in the feel/smoothness department. Again, that's purely my opinion. The S300's actually work quite well for me, but through some trial and error and research, I've found other options that I much prefer.

Thanks

They don't feel "terrible" of boardy or anything like that. They are just very dead feeling. Nothing bad, just nothing good. Add onto that the heft that will turn most people off and it's a bad recipe. Especially when it ruins a great feeling iron like the 588's.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

First off, I hate the weight Jim. The S300's are as heavy as they come my friend, and when I get a little golf fatigue and the swing gets lazy, a heavy shaft and I don't agree. I also think they are seriously lacking in the feel/smoothness department. Again, that's purely my opinion. The S300's actually work quite well for me, but through some trial and error and research, I've found other options that I much prefer.

They don't feel "terrible" of boardy or anything like that. They are just very dead feeling. Nothing bad, just nothing good. Add onto that the heft that will turn most people off and it's a bad recipe. Especially when it ruins a great feeling iron like the 588's.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Thanks for the response guy's.

TC I'll have to catch up with you at the Tour van stop and check out what's available out there in the Golf world for a hacker like me.
I'm trying to find that next level bro.

Good luck out there today, TC. Hope you are able to figure something out.

I like the chrome, but I still haven't got any glare issues. I've actually been shot with glare quite a bit from my satin wedges just because the face is pointing up at me.

I had an extended range session yesterday, including time with the irons. Wind was directly into me in the 15-20 mph range and the balls were going way up in the air. Swing flaw paired with a shaft that helps me get the ball up and the wind definitely caused me to put some moonballs out there. Regardless, I hit them pretty well. Hit a lot of half shots as well, that were getting me comparable distance to the moonballs just by virtue of a lower flight. Definitely a bonus that I'm able to keep the ball lower if needed.

Hawk you're still playing the R in the Tours correct?

Yep. It was a good move for me in the majority of situations I think.

From what I saw, heck yes it was. Matter of fact seeing your success had me thinking R+. I could use a little more height.

What did you think when you hit mine? I know the lie angle might have been off for you, but did you see a difference in height?

Honestly, there is part of me that thinks I could even go higher.

I was hitting your 8 iron about the same distance as I do mine but the height was a little more appealing. Are yours bent down a few degrees, if so then I'm not worried about the dispersion I was seeing.

Yea, they are 2° strong across the board.

Oh no I'm sorry, I meant lie angle wise. Mine are -1* loft throughout.

Oops! Yea, they are almost two degrees flat.

Thought so. I couldn't keep the toe from sticking in the dirt haha.

Yesterday was an important round of golf for me. I put the 588's back in the bag and pretty much asked JB to give me an honest assessment after our round. The cool thing was that he didn't just tell me, he asked what I thought about the i20 round and the 588 round before he gave me his observations. There were a couple of things that couldn't be ignored. First, he/I saw a much tighter dispersion with the 588's. That's pretty important. Second, he/I saw a slightly higher/longer ball flight with the 588's. Disperion, height and length are just things you can't sacrafice when it comes to one's iron game.

So at this point forward, the 588's are my full time gamers. I'm thrilled with it b/c they are an outstanding set of irons. We both kept talking about how powerful these irons sound. They put a nice healthy thwack on the ball for sure. Now, if only those grips would show up from Canada.

Yesterday was an important round of golf for me. I put the 588's back in the bag and pretty much asked JB to give me an honest assessment after our round. The cool thing was that he didn't just tell me, he asked what I thought about the i20 round and the 588 round before he gave me his observations. There were a couple of things that couldn't be ignored. First, he/I saw a much tighter dispersion with the 588's. That's pretty important. Second, he/I saw a slightly higher/longer ball flight with the 588's. Disperion, height and length are just things you can't sacrafice when it comes to one's iron game.

So at this point forward, the 588's are my full time gamers. I'm thrilled with it b/c they are an outstanding set of irons. We both kept talking about how powerful these irons sound. They put a nice healthy thwack on the ball for sure. Now, if only those grips would show up from Canada.
Canadians ruin everything, now they are hurting your iron game.

I'm glad you've settled in on your gamers and you're off the PING bandwagon. After seeing you and others hit these you can tell they are a great set of irons and I think your game can only get better with them from here.

I think it does say a lot about these irons. I know you were full on in love with those i20's, but seeing is believing. Glad to hear you know what direction you are going dude.

That's good to hear TC. I like how you decided to have someone else help you decide, that proves how tough this decision was for you. Like you said all the important factors were pretty one sided, that's kinda cool in this age of iron designs. Now get out there and go low buddy!

--
Tapatalk2

Yeah, I'm struggling with moving away from the Ping's. We had some special rounds, but I have had some with these as well. It is what it is. You hit these beauties. They're wicked.

i'd rep you if i could for this post.
very glad you will be gaming the 588's!
and like you and i talked in SC...it's all about dispersion baby!
these irons are just so trustworthy and you can just tell they're going to do exactly what you want them to, with each shot.
unlike you, i don't murder the ball...so accuracy is a must for me. and this is why the Cleveland 588's are in the bag.

i agree with the crisp, solid "thwack" you receive from these irons. it's a sound that is music to the ears! such a pure feeling, is the well struck golf shot.

Back