I really need to Play to a number on par 5's in the future. I think it would help my scoring overall as well. Just need to try it instead of wanting bomb everything

I'm nigh always going for it. I'm better from 30 and in than 70-90.

I read somewhere it's better for amateurs to go for it in 2 barring any real obstructions. It's much better to have a 20-30 yd wedge shot in than a 80-90 yd wedge for a higher handicapper.

The example they used was... If you are 30 yds from the pin, would you want to pick up and walk back 50 yds to play the shot or play from 30?

As long as there isn't water short or guarding a green that you could take penalty on why not hit a hybrid or a 3w... May not always work out... Best case you're putting for eagle..

Score an up and down for a birdie...

Or miss the birdie and tap in par.

Believe it was a golf digest from a few months back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I read somewhere it's better for amateurs to go for it in 2 barring any real obstructions. It's much better to have a 20-30 yd wedge shot in than a 80-90 yd wedge for a higher handicapper.

The example they used was... If you are 30 yds from the pin, would you want to pick up and walk back 50 yds to play the shot or play from 30?

As long as there isn't water short or guarding a green that you could take penalty on why not hit a hybrid or a 3w... May not always work out... Best case you're putting for eagle..

Score an up and down for a birdie...

Or miss the birdie and tap in par.

Believe it was a golf digest from a few months back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I totally agree if there is no trouble. If I don't have anything to worry about then I'll take out 3 wood or whatever and pound it down there. Problem for me at least is that at my course there is always trouble.

I totally agree if there is no trouble. If I don't have anything to worry about then I'll take out 3 wood or whatever and pound it down there. Problem for me at least is that at my course there is always trouble.

You and me both Breeze.

If its a hole where I have no real trouble or chance for it, I'll try to hammer it close...but if there is a legit possibility of trouble, I play it smart. Its taken me a long time to get that way though, I used to just hammer at it no matter what.

For me as a very high handicapper I try to get as close as I can with the club I am most comfortable with that day. This can vary dramatically depending on the day and the lie. A few weeks ago I was really hitting my 7i well and not much else, so I took driver (hit it thin maybe about 165 or so, but in the 1st cut off rough) and two 7i shots (approx 150 each) and was just off the green pin high even though my drive was not very good. I made a good chip and then two putted for a bogey with a good (~10ft) look at par, which is still a success at my level. This is not how I always play this hole but on this particular day my hybrid, 5i, and 6i were not acting right so 7i was the best option.

In general though I have quit playing to a number and started just going with what is comfortable. I am likely to be closer from 50 than I am from 100. I can see how once you are more consistant that it would be better to play to a number to maximize your scoring chances. I am more trying to minimize mistakes than maximize oppurtuinties...if that makes sense...

I was laying 225 into a par 5 yesterday with water in frot but wind at the back so
I went for it and was on in two and pin high from about 20 feet. I freaking three putted it cause I blasted the first putt by the hole(down hill on a side slope) by about 8 feet and missed it coming back. A 3 putt par; there's nothing worse then that.

3 wood
7I
Wedge

Driver, 3 Wood, see whats left if anything. Playing at the course I usually frequent the only hole that long is the 9th. The fairway is on the side of the river bank and is basically part of the hill that runs from left to right. A decent drive and three wood may be on on a good day but usually leave me inside 60 yd. Aim is a big part of playing the hole too as you cant clearly see the green until you are inside 150 and it flattens out inside 100. Anything played too far right will bounce down the hill into the trees. The green is also one of the largest on the course so wedge in will give me a good chance at birdie.

Any other par 5 that length and I am going for it in two...

Strategically, there's a lot of potential value in going for it on par 5's. Of course architects will often incorporate features that make it harder to pull off.

The OP's conservative tee strategy may have brought some of these out relative to current skill level. Like very tough features (rough, trees, traps, contours) close green to punish misses. More uneven lies at typical driver landing area to make approach with long clubs tougher, forced carries over water/waste to catch mis-hits, etc. Green size is also pretty key in being able to pull off a long go-for-it shot that holds. This could be a smaller than typical par-5 green.

Back