Yep, I have a membership as well so I don't pay by the day. I might not have walked off that day had I paid to play but I just write them a check once a month and play 12-14 rounds a month.

I couple weeks ago I was playing with some friends on a pretty tough course that I had only played once before.I shot 42 on the front nine after taking a 7 on the par 5 first hole ,I was hitting it good-for me - and it could have been a 40 if not for a couple putts I whimped out on.We made the turn and my game went to crap.I shanked one ball and then topped one and then just lost everything like a descent shot.I literally played the last three holes in a mental fog.I was just numb.I never considered walking off course,I was too busy trying to figure out what just happened.I shot 58 on the back,drove to the clubhouse ,got a hotdog and coke and laughed my rear off with the guys talking about my "game". I sucked, but still it beat being at work!

Several years ago when I was in my 20's (ok, a long time ago), I was so bad and didn't have a clue what I needed to do. After my usual slice into the far right rough I bladed an iron dead right where two ladies were putting on the next hole. I hit one of them square in the back and she dropped to the green. After making sure she was alright and apologizing for my horrid play, I walked straight to the parking lot and didn't play again for over a year. It really shook me up and when I decided to come back to the game I took it more serious instead of just hacking it around.

Never quit on a paid round. I've played 9 and called it a day two or three times at my course when it just wasn't worth the aggravation while playing with a full group, haven't been in a twosome and left. I'd consider it rude to bail on one person. By myself, I've occasionally played 6 and figured I could be doing something less likely to give me a cardiac (6 green is right beside the parking lot), which usually happens when it's way too hot and I'm playing lousy as a bonus.

I have a pass at my home course, so it doesn't cost extra to quit. I've never quit when I've been away, but a couple of times at home, I've lost the fun factor and quit after nine. Try to keep it all in perspective, but once in a great while, that is hard to do.

Never quit on a paid round. I've played 9 and called it a day two or three times at my course when it just wasn't worth the aggravation while playing with a full group, haven't been in a twosome and left. I'd consider it rude to bail on one person. By myself, I've occasionally played 6 and figured I could be doing something less likely to give me a cardiac (6 green is right beside the parking lot), which usually happens when it's way too hot and I'm playing lousy as a bonus.

I should clarify that I was by myself. I can't imagine quitting on a group, not to mention I'd have been able to have a good time with everyone else and forget about how bad I was playing. Maybe playing by myself was a bad idea today... :what:

Skipped off the pond using Tapatalk

I have never quit mid round , I love the game too much and realize it doesn't love me as much sometimes but i would never quit . We had a guy played with our group for a few years . If he didnt shoot 38 on the front he was gone by the 11th tee box, Problem is he never broke 90 i don't think. He always swore he was better than he was but playing a couple years with him i swear he never broke 90 . We as a group distanced ourselfs from him because of his poor attitude and we all started playing better. I will never forget the hundreds of times (seems like ) we would turn around and see him toting his bag to the parking lot .

Hell yeah, I've quit. Lots of times for lots of reasons. I've been playing for close to 40 years.

Kevin

I quit a few times a few years ago when I got frustrated. But I haven't in like 2 or 3 years.

At times it's best just to walk away and cool off. I've only done this once when playing. My swing suddenly went into the crapper when I lost concentration due to a variety of factors (your girlfriend breaking up with you is a bad way to start the week). Tried to stick it out for four holes, but after the 8th shank in a row I was about to start breaking stuff. Best decision I made that day was leaving the tee box at 10 and going home. Played great the next day!

I've done it several times -- always at a club where I was a member -- and have wanted to do it many more times at public courses.

--Like TC, I had a blowup trying to carry a water hazard. After the first 2 times, I walked to my bag, took the half dozen remaining balls and threw them in the water and retired to the 19th hole.

--The earliest I ever did this was after one hole. I'd been playing miserably for several days in a row. My tee shot found the water and my next shot did, too. I took my bag off the cart and walked back to my truck. I drove past my playing partners and honked at them as they were on 2 tee.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Quitting is for quitters.

I have never walked off of a course because I was playing poorly. Like Thomas Wayne said to Bruce, "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." It is amazing how much you can learn when things aren't going your way.

I quit mid round often enough. I can do this easily because I play at private clubs where I am not out any additional money. Sometimes I go to the range and straighten things out, and others I just pack it in and leave.

There is absolutely no reason to continue if you are not in it. You will enjoy the game a lot more in the long run.

I haven't quit, but if I'm playing alone and start hitting really ugly shots I will stop keeping score, and try to work out the kinks. If I hit a bad shot I drop another ball and then play both to the hole. Sometimes this will help me work out where my swing has gotten out of sorts, or sometimes I just have 2 bad balls to play. But usually after a few holes I at least have an idea of what went wrong and I start playing a little better.

I've never quit a round in my life. Even when things are going badly on the course I figure it's still better than a good day at work. Usually if I'm struggling I look at it as a chance to practice different kinds of shots. What I'll usually do is take more club and play a punch shot in the back of my stance. I can usually make good contact and it's good practice for when I need a shot like that.

I've left halfway through at my club if I wasn't really in the mood. It's supposed to be fun and I wsn't feeling it, so I took off.

If I don't get hurt I keep playing. I also have a thought about golf. It is recreational for me and therefore should be fun. If I was relying on golf to pay my mortgage that would be different, but I am not. Why am I not? Because I suck at golf compared to the guys on tour. And if I suck at golf I should be happy about the good shots I hit. When I hit a bad shot, why get mad, I hit it bad because I suck at golf. Besides, it sure does beat being at work. Of course if you are trying to make your living at it, that is another story.

I've left halfway through at my club if I wasn't really in the mood. It's supposed to be fun and I wsn't feeling it, so I took off.

I've done this before but only at the turn. Done this once or twice on really slow days.

I've done this before but only at the turn. Done this once or twice on really slow days.

Yea, a slow course will do it to me as well. I don't pay per round at my club, so I have no problem packing it in. I've never really done it out of anger, but sometimes you just want to watch some TV.

I've quit after 9 once but I was hot, tired & had somewhere I had to be. I wanted to finish it out but sometimes you just have to leave.
When my wife plays, she plays 9 and is ready to go. We pay for 9, we play for 9.

I don't walk off, but sometimes I just stop keeping score. A month ago I was playing like crap off the tee, penalty shots galore, so I told my foursome to finish that hole, I picked up, went to the next tee. I hit a few balls to figure out what was wrong, and when my group got to the tee I played 3W for a few holes. Made me feel better and I finished with some serviceable tee shots.

No matter how bad I'm playing, I focus on etiquette and continuing conversation with the rest of the group, particularly complimenting their good shots or good round. I don't want my poor round to spoil their enjoyment. Even if my playing sucks, there's no reason to be bad company.

The only time I have ever quit is because of weather.
Rained out once in Myrtle and a few thunder/lightning storms here at home.

I've been tempted to a few times but remind myself that a bad day at golf is still better than a good day at work. :act-up:

I have before, but it's not going to make me any better just walking off, if you keep playing then you will learn from your bad play and know what to do and what not to do the next time, that's my mindset when I'm not playing well. You can't play well all the time!

Back