Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

I noticed golfsmith had the Black marked down $50, I agree that's still a little high.

We are on the same page in regards to shaft options chunky. The new B. Asha has me thinking.

--
Tapatalk2

Me too dude. It seems to fall right in line with what I need from a shaft. I'm hoping it is at the NC stop

she hit both well actually. I think she is down to both of them and the Nike VRS. Who knows. She hawkponders a lot. I know the price of the black is the elephant in the room though.

Ebay bro! I see a few of them for pretty decent prices

I regret not taking any swings with SW's Black/Kusala Black combo.

My CG Black experience has come to a sudden halt. I was grooving along pretty well, scored 48 on the front and was just starting to see some really long drives from the Black when it suddenly started to sound funny. After three strange drives I took a look and this is what I saw.

255415_10151163173951578_515623903_n.jpg

Not good. The crack goes along the shiny finish right over to the speckled paint and feels rough, like torn metal. Strange place for it to develop on the back of the club, but its days of hitting a ball have come to an end. Very depressing. I have written to Cleveland HQ in the US and to the South Pacific Office (they don't seem to have an HQ in Thailand) and included the photo. Hope they can replace it for me. It was the best driver I ever used up to this point.

This stinks bro, but I am sure Cleveland will make it right for you.

It is a little over priced, but it is not crazy over priced. Do some marketing for it, drop in a couple of different shaft options, and lower the price $50 and you are all set IMO. You may not even need to lower the price if you do all of the other things, because once you have hit it, you will want it.

I regret not taking any swings with SW's Black/Kusala Black combo.
It's a beast, a very good setup for that driver head.

SW, what overall length is your CGB playing at out of curiosity?

I am among those who still love their Cleveland Black, I was fortunate enough to get mine for 25% off through a close friend who had access to Cleveland Golf at the time so it was in line with the cost of most other drivers for me. That made it a no brainer. Mine is the stiff flex and I agree with Danny that it plays like a reg+ shaft, which is what I need. Today I started out very erratic and hit only 3/7 fairways on the front on my way to a 44, after some selftalk to watch my tempo and not over swing I hit 6/6 on the back side on my way to a 37 to bring the score back to 81. This driver is awesome when you just let it do the work.

Just picked up a shaft to try in the CGB off the bay today. A non-limited 39S. Can't wait for it to get here. Feedback to follow as soon as I can get it installed. Hopefully this attempt goes better than the last one!

Also, I've noticed a few good deals on the CG Black out on eBay if anyone is looking to try one out. Though I'm sure my idea of 'good deal' may vary from some out there.

Just picked up a shaft to try in the CGB off the bay today. A non-limited 39S. Can't wait for it to get here. Feedback to follow as soon as I can get it installed. Hopefully this attempt goes better than the last one!

Also, I've noticed a few good deals on the CG Black out on eBay if anyone is looking to try one out. Though I'm sure my idea of 'good deal' may vary from some out there.
What are you hoping to see differently out of the non-limited?

What are you hoping to see differently out of the non-limited?

Limited was a little too soft for me. Was great when I started with it in the winter, but quickly progressed to high rights. The ACCRA I have in there now is a bit better, but the ball flight is still a bit high. I'm hoping that the standard 39S will give me a little lower ball flight and let me keep the original weight profile of the club. Plus I like to tinker. If it doesn't work out, the ACCRA will be right back in.

I like that tinker Jon. Anyway you can get on a monitor and take down some numbers before and after?

I like that tinker Jon. Anyway you can get on a monitor and take down some numbers before and after?

Monitor may be a challenge, but I can probably swing a simulator at Golfsmith. I'll see what I can do.

No worries dude. I'm a nerd when it comes to this type of thing, I like see what changes what.

Understood. I'll see if I can at least get you some sim numbers.

FWIW, I just picked up a couple of grips for this shaft. A Winn Lite Soft in Blue, that they don't sell in the GS near me and a Winn Lite Dri-Tac Wrap. I game the latter on my Classic and have been pretty happy so far. I'm a fan of lightweight grips on my drivers. Sure it's all mental, but they seem to work better for some reason.

Well, for everyone that has said it is a bit over priced, here is your chance to jump on it.

Wow good prices here! Thanks guys

Yeah no kiddin, those prices are killer. Mashie for $69??

I had the CG Black and got rid of it for the Nike VR_S. Now I am really thinking I want to go back. I had the regular shaft and although my swing speed is about 88-90, I am thinking of going to the stiff based on what I saw when I had it and what I have read on this thread. I always play 10.5 degree. What has anyone seen comparing the 9 degree to a 10.5 degree?

I had the CG Black and got rid of it for the Nike VR_S. Now I am really thinking I want to go back. I had the regular shaft and although my swing speed is about 88-90, I am thinking of going to the stiff based on what I saw when I had it and what I have read on this thread. I always play 10.5 degree. What has anyone seen comparing the 9 degree to a 10.5 degree?

I wish I could answer that for you buddy, but I have not ever hit the 9*.

Not much different for me, my launch monitor numbers are somewhere in this thread. I much preferred the 10.5* due to better dispersion.

Not much different for me, my launch monitor numbers are somewhere in this thread. I much preferred the 10.5* due to better dispersion.
Thanks!

Back