Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP has sent out Cleveland CG Black drivers to the forum testers that were selected after signup and here is a list of those that will be providing feedback in this thread.

This thread will be for them to offer their long term thoughts as they use the driver and offer feedback as to how they work for them.

Lets keep this thread clear until the guys start getting their CG Black driver in and posting initial thoughts. Thanks.

So I was lucky enough to have Cleveland select me to test the Cleveland Black. I thought that I would post a little about my golf game so that people would be aware of what type of player is testing this equipment.

I have a pretty smooth tempo. I am working on some things with my swing but my tempo should not be affected by this. My transition at the top is not overly aggressive. My swing speed is 95-103 with an average of 100. My distance is all over the place. I can go anywhere from 220-280. Longest this year was two drives of 308(same hole with a side hill that if you hit it the ball runs for days). I am pretty accurate with a 55.4% FIR

My normal shot shape has changed a little bit over the past few months. For years I had a very consistent draw with my driver and irons. Since July (when I got the Nike Pro Combos) I very suddenly started fading the ball. At first it was just with the irons but now it is with the driver as well. My distance with the driver since this has happened has been much shorter. I have lost on average 20 yards in the past 3 months.

I have always played a 9-9.5* driver with a stiff flex shaft. I’ve had great success with the Callaway Hawkeye VFT Titanium and the Titleist 910 D2. These are easily my 2 favorite drivers that I’ve ever played. I was very accurate with both and my distance with the Callaway driver was phenomenal.

Back at the THP Outing in May, Josh told me after the LM fitting that I could probably go with a 10.5* head and gain some carry distance. So that is what I went with in the Cleveland Black. It’s a 10.5* lofted head with a stiff flex 39 gram C Kua shaft. What I’m hoping happens is that a combination of higher launch and higher swing speed(lighter shaft) will give me a nice gain in distance but at the same time not negatively affect my accuracy. We shall see

Well, not only was I lucky enough to be chosen, big love to :cleveland: and :thp:, my Cleveland Golf CG Black driver was sitting at my door!

A brief background on me before I get into first impressions.

I have recently been grooving a smooth tempo. I tend to get a little quick at the top, but have been working very very hard at taking a nice swing moment at the top as my momentum stops and I swing forward. My swing tops out around 100 with this new tempo, although I am capable of more if I try to kill it. I say I average 95 the last time on a monitor. I like to think about those Ernie Els swings when he won the US Opens. I currently game a R7 460 10.5° that I'm only recently learning how to hit well. I'm not a high launcher of the ball and good swing is usually straight with a little fade. I also have decently large hands so I like a midsize or oversize grip.

My hope for the testing is that I can provide good insight to this new club. I never thought I'd be a light weight driver kind of guy however I'm totally excited to test out this shaft which may make a huge difference for me.

----FIRST IMPRESSIONS----

I would imagine this was like the first time Michael Knight saw K.I.T.T. <whistles>. Sitting in the box is this slick black beauty. (Not including stickers) The other colors on the CG Black Driver and head cover besides black or shades of black are a silver, white and if you look REALLY closely at the shaft, a little dark blue. Or ... is that my eyes playing tricks on me. No no, it is there on the ends of the Miyazaki lettering on the shaft. In one room I can see it, in another, I can't.

Love the head cover. It looks good and the grip-handle works well. I think the Cleveland designers did a good job on this with multiple fabrics and textures but not too many and a futuristic but simple construction. All in all, a nice piece of kit.

The grip is an all rubber Golf Pride 25g, all black with silver highlights. A nice looking match. Honestly, nothing special except for the light weight about this grip. As I have larger hands, I'll probably change this out at some point. Side note: Raider fans will love this driver.

The design by C.Kua on the Miyazaki all black shaft is pretty sweet. I'm going to totally fixate on trying to figure out what those blue Rorschach patches are on it! LOL.

The head itself is sweet. From above all black with the dark-chrome face, however when you turn it over, that's when the wow factor comes in. I suppose some might not care for it, but the futuristic yet natural looking lines are really nice. Like poking a stick through a stream and watching the water form streams behind it. And at the back of the head is a silver weight plug. On the downside, and maybe it is because it is so new, boy does that dark chrome stuff really take to finger prints. (Or maybe my hands are particularly clammy and/or greasy today!)

Maybe because my R7 460 seems so relatively heavy, but wow, this CG Black Driver is super light. Not flimsy, just light. I can only really describe it as if you took a stainless steel watch and then held a titanium watch. You wouldn't think it was that much lighter but it really is.

I took a few 3/4 hallway swings and at first blush, I really like the feel of this club. Unlike some other ultra-light clubs I've swung, I could feel the head of the CG Black the whole way through. The feedback was more subtle, not as obvious as my R7, but definitely there. The shaft-head combo gives a strong stable feeling. I look forward to seeing if that holds for a full swing with the shaft loaded up.

I know I'm a bit of a forum picture addict - I love pretty pictures - but this club is a looker in person and so far has the feel to match. On a very random note, but maybe speaks to my initial connection to the CG Black Driver, it strikes me that I don't name my cars but I want to give this club a nickname.

Unboxing pics:
Spoiler

2011-11-09 17.17.02.jpg

2011-11-09 17.17.53.jpg

Close up pics:
Spoiler

2011-11-09 17.18.27.jpg

You can see the blue on the shaft in this one:
2011-11-09 17.19.04.jpg

2011-11-09 17.19.55.jpg

2011-11-09 17.20.14.jpg

One more, at address (excuse the messy carpet!):
Spoiler
2011-11-09 17.20.36.jpg

Going to try to get out tomorrow and hit a small bucket (or more)!

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear your feedback! The club looks awesome.

Nice writeup D! This driver looks amazing, and I'm excited to hear what you have to say. Oh, and I'd definately give it a nickname. :D

Nice pictures d_in_la, looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you put a few good swings on it.

it's gotta have a name, but not Black Beauty .... hello LOL

Very nice looking driver, super nice for sure, can't wait to hear more thoughts!

Have fun D you are in for a treat. Nice initial write up...

Have fun hitting it, d! From your description, it sounds like this could be real good for you.

Congrats Chunky and D! Looking forward to your impressions on this driver, it's on my hit list for sure.

WOW Cleveland really delivers...in hand thoughts and pictures already, I love it. As usual d_n_la very nicely written initial thoughts and good pictures.

Definitely looking forward to these reviews, this is a sweet looking driver and Cleveland has made some great performing drivers in the past.

This thread is going to be really interesting because of some swing speed and tempo differences which will obviously come into play with the different testers. Good job on the pics and pretesting bios!

Good stuff d and cap'n lunch stealer. I'm impressed how quick it got to you d, cleveland's bringing the shipping quickness.

--
tapatalk

D great first impression man!!

Damn....just hearing you describing your new girl, I mean driver has me over here in anticipation of hearing your feedback..By the way, since we're family and all..Can I try it out on the range with you..:call-me: LOL!!!

The FIRST IMPRESSION write ups are GREAT !

Can't wait to see how different each of your experiences are with this club !

I know I'm a bit of a forum picture addict - I love pretty pictures - but this club is a looker in person and so far has the feel to match. On a very random note, but maybe speaks to my initial connection to the CG Black Driver, it strikes me that I don't name my cars but I want to give this club a nickname.

How about "Vader?"

Man they didn't mess around getting that thing to you D....awesome first write up, can't wait to hear your initial thoughts...that driver is really on my mind right now....in fact it's probably a good thing that I can't buy one till next week :D

I love the looks of these drivers and they seem to fit my swing perfectly from what I've heard of them from this forum. I've been dedicated to my Cobra drivers for about two years now, but this Cleveland Black looks really interesting. Might just have to give it a smooth rip sometime soon.

Great background info chunky and great initial writeup D. This driver has me very intrigued. I can't wait to hear more thoughts on this driver.

Nice initial thoughts D, really looking forward to this testing.

I think the only thing that could be better about this thread is seeing that driver turned around for a lefty! I'm going to be watching and reading this thread like a hawk.

Back