Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible

I wish we could tee it up today. I'd answer your pm.

Hawk, how does the dead hands concept mesh with the idea of accelerating into the ball? I have found some success trying to accelerate, but wonder how to keep that thought while thinking of dead hands? Or what is your method?

I wish we could tee it up today. I'd answer your pm.
I know you would, and I wish we could play too. Fun fact, we have never golfed together have we?

We would Pelz the crap out of any course.

Hawk, how does the dead hands concept mesh with the idea of accelerating into the ball? I have found some success trying to accelerate, but wonder how to keep that thought while thinking of dead hands? Or what is your method?

I focus on my right shoulder hitting the ball, if that makes sense.

I know you would, and I wish we could play too. Fun fact, we have never golfed together have we?

We would Pelz the crap out of any course.

We never have and it's a damn shame.

I need to pick up this book. I wonder if they have it at my local library? hhhmmm

I focus on my right shoulder hitting the ball, if that makes sense.

Your back shoulder? Just making sure, Im a lefty.

Your back shoulder? Just making sure, Im a lefty.

Yea, back shoulder. I just want them to rotate and leave my hands out of it. That's sort of misleading to say since you want to cock your wrists on the backswing, but once you do, a simple rotation down will realease that and you won't need to think about your hands.

To expand on that a little, because I understand where you're coming from with the smooth vs aggressive thing.

When I'm trying to hit a ball hard, I typically pull it with my hands instinctively, which is never good.

If I just make a smooth turn, the the club gets pulled along for the ride, stays on plane and I actually hit the ball farther without as much effort. The important part is making sure you are getting the right length backswing, so you don't subconsioucly decelerate into the ball. It's easy to do. You take too much backswing, think to yourself that you're taking too much backswing, then slow the club down with bad results.

In the end, it's really just a basic pitch shot. Nothing fancy at all.

To expand on that a little, because I understand where you're coming from with the smooth vs aggressive thing.

When I'm trying to hit a ball hard, I typically pull it with my hands instinctively, which is never good.

If I just make a smooth turn, the the club gets pulled along for the ride, stays on plane and I actually hit the ball farther without as much effort. The important part is making sure you are getting the right length backswing, so you don't subconsioucly decelerate into the ball. It's easy to do. You take too much backswing, think to yourself that you're taking too much backswing, then slow the club down with bad results.

In the end, it's really just a basic pitch shot. Nothing fancy at all.

Thanks Hawk. So really the speed is a constant, the only thing you are changing for control distance is the amount of backswing?

Exactly. That and the club that you choose.

I mentioned in other threads that I practiced on the course tonight - rather than the range - and the finesse swing was a big part of that. I think I hit shot from every distance (in five yard increments) from 35 to 95 yards.

I'm loving the 7:30's right now. In fact, I think I was more successful from 35-50 yards than anything else tonight. However, my best shot was from 95 yards with a 9:00 PW that hit just past pin high and spun/rolled back to three feet. Our greens were much softer than normal and I was seeing a lot of spin (for me), which actually caused me more problems than anything. I'm used to hop/stop most of the time and I had a number of balls move backwards tonight. These conditions aren't normal though. Tons of rain yesterday.

Biggest thing I found that gave me success tonight was staying centered over the ball and letting my shoulders do the work. It really helped get rid of the scooping I had issues with over the weekend.

Also worked in the sand again. I don't want to jinx myself, but my sand game has been amazing (for me) since right before the Morgan Cup. I can actually get the ball on the green and it's even close to the pin at times. Big improvement right there.

I had a couple below-average weeks with my < 100 yard game and felt like I needed to take a look at what was going on. Basically, I was missing with a push right and the occasional scooper/fatty that show up from time to time. The problem is that they were showing up more often than they had been. I still was putting good shots out there, but not with the consistency I had been.

It came to me that I've steadily been trying to increase the distance that I hit each of my finesse shots, which is really against everything that the book says to do. In reality, there isn't any reason to do that. The goal is to have known distances, not to hit the ball as far as possible with each club.

So, I decided to knock 5 yards off my expected distance and also to take longer next club if I was in a spot that was in-between. The results were very good and encouraged me to focus more on putting a smooth move on the ball. Contact got better and so did accuracy.

It came to me that I've steadily been trying to increase the distance that I hit each of my finesse shots, which is really against everything that the book says to do. In reality, there isn't any reason to do that. The goal is to have known distances, not to hit the ball as far as possible with each club.

So, I decided to knock 5 yards off my expected distance and also to take longer next club if I was in a spot that was in-between. The results were very good and encouraged me to focus more on putting a smooth move on the ball. Contact got better and so did accuracy.

That's some great advice. I'm going to take that thinking to my next round. Thanks man!

Chipped via Tapatalk 2

I hope I can continue to take my own advice. I started hitting the ball farther naturally just because I was getting better. That evolved into me thinking I had to stretch the limits.

Without going through this entire thread I just wantd to add that I went to a Pelz one day short game clininc last week. One of the key takeaways was having a smooth rythmic tempo.

I enjoyed Dave's book and got a lot out of it.

However, I think his mathematical approach to pitching is a bit flawed.

I much prefer the approach of Shawn Clement. Rather than hitting 200 balls to a laundry basket to figure out that your 9'oclock 56-degree wedge goes 57 yards, he relies on our built-in gravity computer to tell us how far we need to hit the ball. Amazingly enough, he's right. Your mind is amazing at figuring out how much momentum is needed to make the golf ball go a certain distance. All you have to work on are sound mechanics and getting out of the way. That part is still not easy, but it resonates far more with me than "put 3 tapes on your club to mark what distance you hit the club with what size backswing."

More info here if anyone is interested:

There are definitely different approaches, Wade. I didn't need to hit that many balls or use tape, but I have pretty good memory. I used to rely on my internal abilities as well, but I find that I'm far more consistent now than I was then.

That being said, I'm still a little unhappy with my performance with the short game swing in general over the last couple weeks. Truthfully, I've practiced it very little compared to mid-summer and it's showing in the quality of contact I'm making. I know I need to practice, but it's just not something I've had a lot of time for.

Yesterday was still good though. It was extrememly windy, so I focused on placing the ball back a little, using more club, and taking more 1/4 swings or whatever you want to call them. Worked pretty well in that I had two opportunities and both left me with putts I made.

Regardless, I want to work on it. My putting feels good enough now that I can put my short game to better use.

I got a chance to practice my scoring game twice over the weekend. Some much needed work that left me pretty happy.

First time out was Saturday afternoon at a pitch and putt. Took my boy with me and we walked it a couple times. Flags were at 50, 80, and 105 yards and I dropped some balls at in-betweener distances. Worked on high and low pitches and with an open face. Nothing too monumental since I was also enjoying the time with the little guy.

Yesterday I worked on just about everything I could inside 50 yards at the short game area and then moved to the range. There is a 60 and 75 yard flag out there, so again worked on getting the ball to them in a few different ways. Biggest thing I need to remember is that I can get the ball to the distance without a big move back. I am much better when I'm not trying to hit the ball far.

Biggest weakness I noticed after playing on Saturday was the 30-40 yards pitches, so that was a big focus yesterday. It doesn't make sense to be closer to the hole from 70 yards than from 30. It's a little different shot since I'm not cocking my wrists so much, but I was pretty happy when I was done. I think that shot will be the focus of my practice in the coming weeks.

I've been working on this book recently and it has been helping my game out. I don't think there is one right approach though, I would like to continue to read other books and form my own short game out of the ideas of all the great teachers.

Thanks for keeping this thread bumped hawk, I have it stickied so I remember to buy the book. I need a systematic approach to my short game from 30-90 and know this would substantially help.

I've been working on this book recently and it has been helping my game out. I don't think there is one right approach though, I would like to continue to read other books and form my own short game out of the ideas of all the great teachers.

I agree with that completely. I'm definitely not following every single thing I've read and have taken things from some other sources to figure out something that works for me.

Thanks for keeping this thread bumped hawk, I have it stickied so I remember to buy the book. I need a systematic approach to my short game from 30-90 and know this would substantially help.

It's a good read, jj. I think it could help a guy like you quite a bit.

Haven't updated this one much lately, which is probably a sign I continue to be lazy practicing my short game. That's not entirely true because I have devoted a couple sessions to it, but not as much as I probably need to if I want to stay sharp. I went through a few weeks where my full swing was really good (for me) and it was actually really fun just to hit balls with the full swing on the range.

With that said, I haven't had as many chances to utilize the finesse swing in the rounds I've been playing. When I've needed it the results have been somewhat mixed between average and below average, which isn't really what I'm looking for. Just more miss-hits than I like to see.

Going to force myself to work on it on Wednesday for an hour or so if I can.

One of the ways I've been able to practice this has been by taking my son out to either a pitch and putt or to a practice football field to hit balls. We did that yesterday afternoon and had a pretty good time. Took a little flag I borrowed from one of those little carts that you pull kids in behind a bike and a couple buckets. Worked on 30, 40, and 50 yards since there wasn't a ton of room.

Thats a good idea hawk. I'm not sure where I have a football field around here where I could do that without getting in trouble though.

A lot of the elementary schools around here have little fields too.

Back