wonder how many still using smaller (sub 460cc) drivers

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I am using a 400cc head. It's a clone of Cleveland Launcher400. And no, I respectfully dont wish to turn this into a clone club debate or argument. But anyway, when I bought it, about 9 or 10 years ago is when the 460 heads were getting more popular but still were able to by 400's and in the 300's as well.

At the time, I wanted to get with the times but also wasn't use to or liking the look of the giants so I opted for what I felt was a happy medium in the 400. I hit it very well when my driving works on a given day. Hit it long and straight. When not driving well it is me and not the club.

Hopefully I will afford new clubs sometime this winter for next year and I still just cant seem to like the big bulky looks of the giant heads. Of course as time passed and most everyone now owns one, I have become use to seeing them and do not look as bad to me as they once did. But I still like looking at my bit of a smaller driver head especially vs some of the wierd shapes we are now seeing in additon to being very large.

I have nothing against them and once I swing more of them and figure which ones feels good to swing and looks good to me, I will eventually make a decision. I do understand the forgiveness is supose to be better. And the technology should be much improved vs my existing 10 year old driver

But I am curious if any of you out there are still using smaller heads like me or even smaller than that? And if so, why? And anyone also still feel a bit like me as far as still not yet quite liking the giant head? Just curious to hear some thoughts on this.

I still really miss the smaller headed drivers of yesteryear. I pulled out my old steel-headed Titleist PT driver I played years ago and looked at it. It's smaller than a modern 5-wood! If you're going down the modern tech route, but want to retain the feel of a smaller driver, I'd urge you to check out the Cleveland Classic. It is huge, yes, but the deep face gives it a smaller top-down profile. The paint scheme is just fantastic to boot. It doesn't feel as ridiculously oversized as some other offerings out there, and it plays very nicely as well.

I have a J40 445 driver in the bag. Been using it pretty much all year.

I am playing the Bridgestone J40 445 right now. Can't really tell a difference visually between it and a 460cc driver.

I played the R9 for awhile. It's a nice driver, but I did miss more with it than some of the bigger/more forigiving drivers out there.

I still really miss the smaller headed drivers of yesteryear. I pulled out my old steel-headed Titleist PT driver I played years ago and looked at it. It's smaller than a modern 5-wood! If you're going down the modern tech route, but want to retain the feel of a smaller driver, I'd urge you to check out the Cleveland Classic. It is huge, yes, but the deep face gives it a smaller top-down profile. The paint scheme is just fantastic to boot. It doesn't feel as ridiculously oversized as some other offerings out there, and it plays very nicely as well.

Great advice. I love that the driver with the largest face out there still looks compact at address. That was a great bit of design work.

I'm playing the R7 425 TP and I like it a lot better than the larger sized drivers that I have played with since I've been trying out new drivers.

I know it's all in my head, but I just feel like I'm swinging a huge mallet with some of the larger sized drivers.

last two years i've played the R11 and the Cleveland Classic 310 Tour...both 440cc heads. i honestly prefer them a lot more than the 460cc size and will continue to play that size head.

I think the Fit is slightly smaller than 460CC

I'm still playing an old Titleist 905T, it's 400cc. I really hit it well and so far have not found anything to take it's place. I did hit a Cleveland classic that has my interest peaked but have yet to pull the trigger.

Yes thats a consideration

I'm playing the R7 425 TP and I like it a lot better than the larger sized drivers that I have played with since I've been trying out new drivers.

I know it's all in my head, but I just feel like I'm swinging a huge mallet with some of the larger sized drivers.

Yeah thats kinda how i feel too

I played a 400cc head for a few years (old BangOMatic). I do find the larger head more forgiving of bad misses, but that's relative. Bad shots are still in the trees, I can just find more of them now.
With both, I've hit balls 220y that would have been whiffs 25 years ago. Gotta love technology.

I game an R11 440cc

I played a 400cc head for a few years (old BangOMatic). I do find the larger head more forgiving of bad misses, but that's relative. Bad shots are still in the trees, I can just find more of them now.
With both, I've hit balls 220y that would have been whiffs 25 years ago. Gotta love technology.

lol - Thats funny, But true

I have a TM Burner Supersteel that I found in some of my Mom's stuff when she passed away last year. I was having trouble hitting the big drivers (FT9 and BB Diablo) when I started playing golf this year so I decided to give the old Burner a try. I hit it straighter and more consistent than my 460 drivers. It's 9.5 loft so it's a little longer also. Don't know exactly the size but it is definitely much smaller than the 460s. It is shaped a little more like a fairway wood which I think looks more comfortable to me at address.

Before the 910 D2 I'm playing now I was using a TM R9, I certainly find the 910 to be more forgiving.

I believe that my R580 is 400CC. It seems to work well enough for me.

I finally switched this year to a 460cc. I had been gaming an Orlimar Tri-Metal from ~97

R11: 440cc

My driver is the TaylorMade R500 Tour issue, (325cc). Super-solid, muted sound, workable both ways, its the ultimate fairway finder. Oh and by the way its long too, thanks in part to its 45" Fujikura 757 Tourspec shaft, tipped 1/2". Never found a driver with a more pentrating trajectory than this particular one and I have hit many! Some think its illegal, because it came out during the time when everyone thought the USGA would approve .860 COR. Doubt it actually is illegal since it was played on Tour, but mine was never actally tested by the Tour. (No TXXXX serial or "B" stamp to indicate that). In fact it has no serial number at all!

We are beginning to see the return to smaller heads for better players now...In my view, its about time!

My driver is the TaylorMade R500 Tour issue, (325cc). Super-solid, muted sound, workable both ways, its the ultimate fairway finder. Oh and by the way its long too, thanks in part to its 45" Fujikura 757 Tourspec shaft, tipped 1/2". Never found a driver with a more pentrating trajectory than this particular one and I have hit many! Some think its illegal, because it came out during the time when everyone thought the USGA would approve .860 COR. Doubt it actually is illegal since it was played on Tour, but mine was never actally tested by the Tour. (No TXXXX serial or "B" stamp to indicate that). In fact it has no serial number at all!

We are beginning to see the return to smaller heads for better players now...In my view, its about time!

Using three twenty fiver. "if it aint broke, don't fix it"
Some of the young and newer golfers of this decade would probably find that as strange as we feel about the giants. Kinda like them not knowing what a rotery phone is.

I started playing golf again regularly about a year ago after a 10+ year lay off and when I first starting looking into getting a new driver, I couldn't get past how big the 460cc drivers were. They looked so goofy and cartoonish to me compared to my Titleist 975D that I almost decided that I would just keep using it. But once I found the right one, it was a no brainer to upgrade. The forgiveness alone was worth getting something new.

I'm gaming the Cleveland Classic 310, which is 440cc I believe.

I believe that my R580 is 400CC. It seems to work well enough for me.
Was using the same driver ever since it came out in 2002. Finally swapped it out with the RBZ 3 weeks and glad I did. Definitely hitting it farther and straighter.

Back