I think fitting is quite possibly the most important part of your golf bag.

1. What type of irons do you play? Callaway Razr X Tour 3i thru pw
2. Why did you pick those? (purely cosmetic, your favorite golfer does, reviews on THP, etc) I got fit for them at the Callaway headquarters fitting studio
3. Were you fitted for them? yes, at the Callaway studio
3a. If so- do you feel like it made a big difference? I feel it has made the a huge difference in my golf game. I have 100% confidence in every last club in my bag, and know exactly how they will respond (as long as I hit it right).

Having confidence in your clubs goes a long long way towards your mental aspect of the game. If you can believe in your clubs, then that's one less thing to worry about in your swing.

Dan

1. Adams A12 pro
2. I loved the feel and look of them over everything else I tried
3. No, I was not fit for these irons

Lets see...
I have a few Iron questions for you.

1. What type of irons do you play? Burner 2.0, stock stiff steel shaft.
2. Why did you pick those? (purely cosmetic, your favorite golfer does, reviews on THP, etc) THP Reviews, father always played TaylorMade, also tried Diablo Edge, Razr X, Razr XL.
3. Were you fitted for them? - I had a basic fitting at Golfsmith. I caught the golf bug BAD this year after not touching a club for many years. Was playing a 15-20 year old set of Ram FX Oversize prior to this that I couldn't hit very well, so these were a major upgrade. Master fitter at Golfsmith recommended not going for a full club by club fitting as I'm still developing my swing. He reccommended that I play this set (they were on sale, so I got a great deal), get used to playing the new technology, and next year or so, come in for a fitting. These clubs are much longer (a good inch or so) longer than my previous set. Between the additional shaft length and club technology, I'm striking the ball consitently, and on average carrying distances a good 10-15 yards longer than my Rams. I appreciated the fitter not trying to "*****" me on a club fitting just yet. Definitely still tweaking swing, tempo, alignment, etc. Can see where a fitting would benefit someone who is a mid to lower handicap (I'm sitting at 24 with an occassional sub-100 round now and then). Your mileage may vary.
3a. If so- do you feel like it made a big difference?

1. Adams Pro Gold
2. Feel and look. Tested a bunch of various forged players irons when I was purchasing
3. No. I'm a buy and test on my own person. I don't use monitors. I probably should.

I have a different philosophy on fitting, similar to what I think about adjustable drivers - it benefits players with a consistent swing.

1. What type of irons do you play?
TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC (forged Muscle-Cavity blade) irons.

2. Why did you pick those? (purely cosmetic, your favorite golfer does, reviews on THP, etc)
I like my R11 driver and RBZ fairway woods so much that I wanted to give TaylorMade irons a shot.
I went to be fitted for the MB blades and tried the MC's on the test range just to see the difference.
What sold me on the MC's is their feel, forgiveness, and distance consistency.

3. Were you fitted for them?
Yes because the proper lie angle is critical.

1. Bridgestone J40 DPC's

2. Reviews from members here and I love the looks, also wanted forged but without the Mizuno prices.

3. Yes, I was fit and I am glad I was. Not drastic, but noticeable and appreciated.

1. Callaway X-Prototype
2. Love the way they look, but after I was able to test them out, I knew I had to get them.
3. I was fitted for them
3a. I think it makes an incredible difference. When I get my next set, I'll definitely be doing it again.

I actually think getting fit for irons would be more beneficial than getting fit for woods (although I think both are really important). You're going to need more accuracy with the irons if you want to attack the pins, so I would think if you had irons that actually fit your swing, you would be more accurate.

Nike VR Pro Cavity
2. Why did you pick those? (purely cosmetic, your favorite golfer does, reviews on THP, etc)
Demo'd at the THP Demo Day, plus I'm a Nike homer
3. Were you fitted for them?
No but the demo told me the performance was there.

My next set of irons will be fit I do think I'm probably not fit perfectly for the shaft in the Nike's but it's much better than the others I was playing before.

Confidence is so important. Great Point.

I think fitting is quite possibly the most important part of your golf bag.

1. What type of irons do you play? Callaway Razr X Tour 3i thru pw
2. Why did you pick those? (purely cosmetic, your favorite golfer does, reviews on THP, etc) I got fit for them at the Callaway headquarters fitting studio
3. Were you fitted for them? yes, at the Callaway studio
3a. If so- do you feel like it made a big difference? I feel it has made the a huge difference in my golf game. I have 100% confidence in every last club in my bag, and know exactly how they will respond (as long as I hit it right).

Having confidence in your clubs goes a long long way towards your mental aspect of the game. If you can believe in your clubs, then that's one less thing to worry about in your swing.

Dan

1. Adams Redline (I just replaced the 4H and plan to do the same with the 3H, so I'm really just playing 5I-GW)
2. Bang for the buck - I tried as many sets as I could find in my (admittedly low) price range (used Callys and Mizunos, new Nikes) and bought the ones that I liked the best out of those. These were on clearance and were cheaper than both of the used sets I was looking at.
3. No.

1) Srixon ZTX-2
2) Amazing reviews, look sweet and feel great
3) wasn't able to get fit :(

Burner 2.0 HP
i played the 1.0 burners for a while and loved everything about them-unfortunetly the shafts became to soft and it was the same price to buy new irons than to change shafts
3. Were you fitted for them? -yes i was fitted for them and i hit them great

I know it made a difference because I hit them square in the sweet spot every time-ball marks prove it

I guess they fall into the "Game Improvement" category, but i'm not a fan of categories...
They are Wilson Staff CI-11, 4-pw
Cosmetics did play a role, it was because of how good looking they were that I went to a Wilson event, and really fell in love with them. I had read so many things about them, that it was hard not to go. I actually called off work for a few hours.
3. Were you fitted for them? -
I was fitted, +1'' and 2* Up. I tried the stock shaft (ended up in them) and KBS, but the results were not too far apart and for the price I went stock R...
I am contemplating going KBS to lower the launch in the future.
I went from playing off the shelf to my specs, and it makes a huge difference. I'm 6'4, and have back issues. After being fit, I felt a great deal of improvement and my swing became more consistent.

I think everyone that plays golf more than a few times a year should be fitted for every club in their bag. Irons made the most difference for me.

1. Callaway Razr X Black with the stock uniflex shaft
2. Chose them as part of The Morgan Cup. Could have had any Callaway iron I wanted but the RXB are the best for me by far
3. I was indeed
3a. Made a massive difference to my game

I play Gigagolf gx922 4-s.

I bought them because they are based on cally x-20s, which I hit the best of the oems I tested, and they perform almost exactly the same.

I was static fit for lie and loft 1* upright plus 1/4 inch length

You bet your sweet patooty fitting makes a difference. Before I got fit I hit everything at a push outside of center on the club face. Now, I hit the center, and it's consistent. It also helped my handicap emensely. I have in the three years I have played them gone from a 12-14 to a 4. I have actually out grown them to be frank, and am currently awaiting the end of the month to pull the trigger on new irons (ping i20, blue dot, +1/4 inch), and yes, I got fitted for them (which costs nothing because I am buying irons through the fitter, something you should be aware of for sure). I am going through Ball Golf in OKC (I could have stayed here in Tulsa, but Ball Golf is rated in the top 50 nationwide and number 1 in Oklahoma....what's a little gas money right....) and just the fitting is 150, but that's a 150 down payment on clubs and they fit for EVERYTHING. They even adjusted my putter for nothing.

Be careful, do your homework on this. Golf Galaxy, golfsmith, and golftec are fine facilities for sure, but a legit testing NEEDS TO BE ON GRASS. Seeing your divots, seeing how the ball flys, or more to the point flights, and seeing real differences in shafts is really crucial. Good fitters aren't cheap by any stretch, but the cost SHOULD, transfer over to whatever you are buying, and that's a deal in any language.

I play callaway razr x forged irons
i picked them because of the looks and feel but also the price had a lot to do with it, they were $60 a club cheaper than the other big brands.
very happy with them, got fitted with kbs shafts and has made a big improvement to my game.

Wow - thanks for everyone's great feedback.
I know that I'll certainly be getting fitted sometime soon. My local place only charges $30 for the fitting so I will do that and then bring the results back here to get a little understanding.
This has been a great learning experience. Thanks again.

Be careful, do your homework on this. Golf Galaxy, golfsmith, and golftec are fine facilities for sure, but a legit testing NEEDS TO BE ON GRASS. Seeing your divots, seeing how the ball flys, or more to the point flights, and seeing real differences in shafts is really crucial. Good fitters aren't cheap by any stretch, but the cost SHOULD, transfer over to whatever you are buying, and that's a deal in any language.

A couple of things.
1. That is debatable.
2. GolfTEC works both inside and out.

Wow - thanks for everyone's great feedback.
I know that I'll certainly be getting fitted sometime soon. My local place only charges $30 for the fitting so I will do that and then bring the results back here to get a little understanding.
This has been a great learning experience. Thanks again.

Does your local place have the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer?

A couple of things.
1. That is debatable.

Have to agree with this.
I did my fitting indoors, but it translated perfectly to the course.

1. What type of irons do you play? Titleist 712MB
2. Why did you pick those? Wanted blades, got the best deal on these...doesn't hurt that they are absolutely gorgeous to look at.
3. Were you fitted for them? Self-fitted...only deviation from standard was mid-size on the grip. Also went with Mizuno Shaft Optimizer's recommendation, which coincidentally was the stock Titleist offering.
3a. If so- do you feel like it made a big difference? Not really...I view the "fitting" that most of us get on a local level as over-rated. The more I contemplate such things, the more I simply can't wrap my mind around one or two degrees of lie angle adjustment being even noticeable to all but the most elite golfers. It's just too small of a difference, especially when you consider that there are ninety of those degrees between perfectly flat and perfectly upright. (I do think there might be some psychological effect in play, however.)

A couple of things.
1. That is debatable.

This. I had mine done inside both times and it has been perfect.

I did say that golftec was a fine facility. I also know that what they do works (my buddy went through them and is crushing a set of mizunos as we speak). I also know that there are some limitations as to what they can see in terms of your turf interaction. Won't argue that they can't fit you properly (because they can), but ask yourself which would be better? For me, it was a grass fitting.

1. Ping Anser (1st gen)

2. I was coming of off a 5 year break and wanted newer technology then my Ping Zings. Being a bit of a Ping homer, I wanted to stay with Ping. Both the s56 and Anser caught my eye but the Anser just looked sexier.

3. Standard static Ping color chart. I already knew that I needed a regular shaft and the PX Rifle 5.0 works great for me.

3a. I think that fitting is very important. At some point I will do a complete fitting including my golf ball, especially now that I can ask the forum members to translate what the numbers mean. What I don't understand; is that the same people that wouldn't be satisfied with the fit of an off the rack suit (w/o tailoring) seem to think that a off the rack set of clubs is fine.

Back