I have gaps, help me out..

Mr. Grumpy

Who stepped in my roses!
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I have huge gaps in my bag and i need help. After yesterday's depressing 99 I have lost all confidence in knowing the options. This was a longer course, but not terribly so and I found myself between clubs or not enough club on every hole.

Right now I have a 60, 5-PW and a driver. I do have a 3 wood with the wrong shaft (steel) and I know I need to change or replace the whole club.

I am thinking a 54, plus a hybrid for the 3 or 4, and a fairway a and new driver..

Just not confident on where to start..

Maybe if you give us some distances with each club we can help you out better man

I have huge gaps in my bag and i need help. After yesterday's depressing 99 I have lost all confidence in knowing the options. This was a longer course, but not terribly so and I found myself between clubs or not enough club on every hole.

Right now I have a 60, 5-PW and a driver. I do have a 3 wood with the wrong shaft (steel) and I know I need to change or replace the whole club.

I am thinking a 54, plus a hybrid for the 3 or 4, and a fairway a and new driver..

Just not confident on where to start..

You've got pretty huge gaps man.. I'd think a wedge and a hybrid should be priority.

I would sure up your yardages at the bottom of the bag first. Tighten that first then add a hybrid or another fairway wood.

Otherwise, I think GolfTec does set evaluations to help you better tighten up your gaps.

Drop a 3 or 4 hybrid or a 5/7 wood in there and get rid of the 60* in favor of a mid bounce 55/56*

Maybe if you give us some distances with each club we can help you out better man

These are perfect condition and swing. Distances are taken from range and on course. Their are a lot of variables, especially my swing which I am working on being more consistant with.

60 Lob This is my utility wedge,, does almost everything from 50 and in, but not confident trying to hit all distances with it.

40 - 120 -PW Most confident at 110, others distances are not consistant for me.

130-135-9

140-145-8 , Love this club and used it every hole on one round from 140 and it was the correct distance, now I just need to get it more on target. : )

150-155-7, rarely use it

160-165-6 , This club is my fave..

175-180-5 , I stepped on this once and flew 198. The problem is I kept taking it out for that distance and only managed 180, 175 at most.. Short with this club a lot.

235 Driver - Not consistant off the tee and a fade robs distance. I can manage 235, but 210-220 is all I really see.

Looking here I can see how I manage, but I do feel like I am squeezing everything out when hitting these distances. I would like to not try so hard on each and get more comfortable..

Last edited:
I agree about setting the 60 aside for a minute. I'd probably go 4 fairway and a 4 hybrid, then swap in a 52 and 56 wedge at the back. Whatever you go buy, try to go through an outdoor demo at minimum, if a fitting is not a possibility. Don't throw money at it, get it right first.

I agree with the 60... I try to make it do way too much. I may order some Bstones wedges to match my irons. They have my fit on file so it may be easier just to order and be done..

Thanks for the suggestions... I kinda knew the direction, but getting pointed in that way has been difficult..

Sounds like you got things under control, but I will second a fitting at GolfTec or golf galaxy/smith. That really helped me. I would also take a look at the driver and getting it fit. Having the correct shaft can help alot. I also just got help from a local PGA pro and I'm now more confident with the driver than ever. Even won the long drive hole in a golf marathon I played in.

I recently went with a 48, 52, 56, 60 wedge set up and I love it. It gives me a lot more confidence in finding the right number with a full swing when I'm within 130 yards.

I agree about setting the 60 aside for a minute. I'd probably go 4 fairway and a 4 hybrid, then swap in a 52 and 56 wedge at the back. Whatever you go buy, try to go through an outdoor demo at minimum, if a fitting is not a possibility. Don't throw money at it, get it right first.

This advice sounds comfortable to me.

I'd also look at fellow THP member signatures for reference. Most have the gaps covered nicely.

Back