Well it's been 5 days and I'm still without power. Really hoping to get it before this potential noreaster hits Wednesday but I'm not holding my breath. I'm thinking it's probably going to be another week before I get power back but I'll wait and see. At least no one was hurt so it could be worse.

Just heard that NJ refused help from non-union utility workers because they werent in a union. If thats true, I am done with this state.

Hey that's one of the top three reasons this economy is in the toilet. Gotta love unions.

I hate this for you all. Hang in there!

Just heard that NJ refused help from non-union utility workers because they werent in a union. If thats true, I am done with this state.

That was actually I giant cluster, it got blew up before the whole story came out. Wasn't a union issue.

Thinking of all of you that have been impacted. Glad you found a generator Dev.

Still no power. My wife found a 6000 watt generator in Albany. She just got home with the baby. We are able to run the electric fireplace, the sump pump and the fridge. I am soo happy they are home. Still gonna probably be a few days before we get power back. My town is just destroying the power company on twitter and facebook for their lack of information and work. They said by tomorrow they would have over 800 homes restored. Earlier they put out a town by town list and they didnt restore power to a single home in my town. I have been patient but going on 6 days is a bit insane. Regardless, my girls are home and I am a happy man.

So nice to hear you've got your girls home!

Generator ran out of gas at 1am. That was a nice surprise to wake up to. Anyone ever try to pour gas into a generator half asleep and in the dark? What an experience...haha My hands smell like a gas station attendant.

Generator ran out of gas at 1am. That was a nice surprise to wake up to. Anyone ever try to pour gas into a generator half asleep and in the dark? What an experience...haha My hands smell like a gas station attendant.

crap lol, do you keep your generator chained outside so it won't go missing?

So, another day goes by without power. My wife starts her new job tomorrow. My daughter goes to daycare for the first time. And I have to go back to work. We are both stressed to the max. The scummy power company has done no work in my town, yet is posting that they have gotten 40% of homes in my town restored. According to my town, that is a lie and they are contacting the governors office. No school now for over a week. Who knows when they are going to actually do any work. I've been trying to stay positive and patient but I am quickly losing both.

Still out of power as well Dev. It's frustrating but got a generator today. My aunt in Rochester was able to get a generator for my house. Unfortunately Rochester is 6 hours away so she was very kind to meet me half way in Binghamton today. Made the 6 hour round trip to get one. So at least I have some heat and lights in my house. Hope to get electricity back sometime early this week.

Still out of power as well Dev. It's frustrating but got a generator today. My aunt in Rochester was able to get a generator for my house. Unfortunately Rochester is 6 hours away so she was very kind to meet me half way in Binghamton today. Made the 6 hour round trip to get one. So at least I have some heat and lights in my house. Hope to get electricity back sometime early this week.

Yeah we got one yesterday. In the past 6 days I have spent over $200 on just gas. Cant go on much longer.

I'm sorry to hear guys, that sucks, I wonder if someone will start an expensive lawsuit in your town after Dev.

Yeah we got one yesterday. In the past 6 days I have spent over $200 on just gas. Cant go on much longer.

I hear you man. They jacked up prices a lot around here. I paid $4.69 today for gas. It's going to be brutal on the wallet if I have to keep this generator going deep into the week.

So, another day goes by without power. My wife starts her new job tomorrow. My daughter goes to daycare for the first time. And I have to go back to work. We are both stressed to the max. The scummy power company has done no work in my town, yet is posting that they have gotten 40% of homes in my town restored. According to my town, that is a lie and they are contacting the governors office. No school now for over a week. Who knows when they are going to actually do any work. I've been trying to stay positive and patient but I am quickly losing both.

Yesterday on my gas/electric company's website they took my street off their site as an area that needed restoration. I caught it while I was at my brother's place and immediately called to complain and let them know we didn't have electricity back. Our restoration day went from Sunday (today) and now because of their mistake they have us for Wednesday, although I'm sure something will happen between now and then that will get it postponed again.

JCP&L?

Just went to the Red Cross website and donated some funds. Hope it helps some people.

That really sucks you guys. The lack of working on the problem by the companies makes me sick, and the fact that people are trying to make huge profits still and racking up prices makes it worse. I hope Snookie got caught in the storm maybe it will lower her arrogance a few notches.

Just went to the Red Cross website and donated some funds. Hope it helps some people.

Thanks Frank. Thats really awesome of you. There are definitely alot of people that need it.

That's a real nice gesture Frank. It's been a tough week for me but I know there are people who have it way worse. There's a lot of people up here who need the help.

Its extremely easy to do. I think you can send a text and $10 bucks will be donated and charged to your cell phone bill, as well

As I sit here freezing, it occurred to me that the biggest thing irritating me is that we havent even seen a single truck in town working. Its the fact that because there have been no trucks working we all feel hopeless and like there is no end in site. At least if there were trucks working there is progress and hope. Right now there is none. They said hopefully by Wednesday. Oh, yeah, the day when we are supposed to get hit with another big storm. Sorry to keep having this thread pop up but if nothing else its a good reminder for the people here in NJ and the people in NY that lost everything and could use any help they can get.

read something on yahoo how multiple power companies from the south were turned away by power companies in NJ and NY because they werent unionized. i grew up in florida and we've been hit by a ton of hurricanes the big 3 that hit my area i can think of right now was erin opal and ivan when opal and ivan hit my family was out of power for about a week each cuz we didnt care if companies were unionized or not. opal a strong cat 4 and the 4th strongest recorderd was a month after a strong cat 2 erin made landfall so know how u feel

i will say its a goood thing its not middle of august when this thing hit no power power during that time of the year blows

read something on yahoo how multiple power companies from the south were turned away by power companies in NJ and NY because they werent unionized. i grew up in florida and we've been hit by a ton of hurricanes the big 3 that hit my area i can think of right now was erin opal and ivan when opal and ivan hit my family was out of power for about a week each cuz we didnt care if companies were unionized or not. opal a strong cat 4 and the 4th strongest recorderd was a month after a strong cat 2 erin made landfall so know how u feel

This has been cleared up. The IBEW (elect workers union) does not turn away non union workers in crisis/disater situations. There are plenty such workers in the area as we speek working side by side with union workers. One such confusion came to be when a crew from alabama went home after what their own company thought was an issue due to document from their own state government had left them thinking there was an issue with the IBEW. The document was thought to have come from the IBEW stating that you must have union representation in order to work (which would have meant agreeing to the terms of union contracts and this of course scared the company's higher-ups) but that wasn't the case at all for the emergency assistance and they have now said it was basically a wrong assumption. In fact there are companies in some cities of new jersey that does not have affiliation with IBEW to begin with. One of which is seaside hieghts and thats where this specific electrical workers were heading before going back home.

Anyway on another note. Still no power for many including myself. Battling for fuel lines and fuel for generator has been a disaster and very time consuming. But gets a bit better evry day. The damage to homes and people who are homeless still is very heartbraking and still a disaster and as far away as just technically walkable distances from my house. Sum people sleeping in cars. The fam been going and helping collect and hand out anything. Now getting much colder with this colder front has moved in and the situation going to get worse as a noreaster heads in expected on wednesday. News is talking 40 to 50 mph winds with heavy rains. Please let this one miss the area as too many people are still in nead and still in shock not to mention barely even scratched the surface to recovery.

Back