Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedges Review - Forum Testing

I'm in the group that thinks the 588 PF was too busy. But, I hope Nerf snakes the RTX from you and teaches you how to properly use a wedge (while capturing some video footage).

It's a look that's for sure. Where as some people thought the back of the 588 last year was too busy, I think this one is just kind of perfect. Nice little cavity and some simple stamping. I also really like where they located Cleveland on the wedge.

I was a big fan of the CG14's for the cavity since I'm a big full-swing wedge guy, the CG16's were just a little "off" to me. From pictures and early feedback it sure seems like they've gotten back to that CG14 type that so many were such big fans of.

I'm in the group that thinks the 588 PF was too busy. But, I hope Nerf snakes the RTX from you and teaches you how to properly use a wedge (while capturing some video footage).

I'm actually hoping she will want to put some swings on it. She has a cg14 in the bag.

Was spending sometime with the flash drive that came with the club. Some great info and pics on the drive.

Letter from the President of Cleveland/Srixon

Spoiler
Dear friend,
It’s with great pride and excitement that we present you Cleveland Golf’s most advanced spin technology ever – ROTEX! The new 588 RTX CB (Cavity Back) wedge, which launches 11/16/12, is the first Cleveland Golf wedge to feature this game-changing face technology. Since you’re one of our valued friends, we wanted to make sure you were among the first to receive this wedge.
ROTEX combines three aggressive technologies to maximize spin in all conditions:
- 16% Larger Grooves
- Rougher, More Durable Laser Milling
- ROTEX Face Pattern
Early testing has shown off-the-charts performance, and feedback from Tour players is that the ball is checking up like it did prior to the groove rule change. We’re confident you’ll love the spin and feel of the 588 RTX CB, and we want you to experience it for yourself.
Play well, enjoy ROTEX, and Welcome to the New Face of Spin!

Warm regards,
Todd Harman
President of Cleveland Golf/Srixon U.S.A.

Ad for the club Cleveland will be using

Spoiler
ry%3D480

588 RTX face

Spoiler
ry%3D480

Grooves up close

Spoiler
ry%3D480

Laser Milling

Spoiler
ry%3D480

Rotex Pattern

Spoiler
ry%3D480

Reverse C Sole

Spoiler
ry%3D480

RTX Cavity Back

Spoiler
ry%3D480

Little something for the ladies.

Spoiler
ry%3D480

PREVIOUS POSTS

So made it out to the range last night after weaseling my way out of a work dinner. Some good news and some bad news. Good news is that I finally got to swing some for the first time in over a week, even better I got to swing my new RTX wedge :rockon:. Bad news is that it was 42 degrees according to the thermometer in my truck, and it was too dark for the short game area to be open. Worst of all, the grass tees were closed (jerkfaces), probably because I was one of three people there...

Not to be deterred, I grabbed a large bucket, made myself comfortable and got started. I only took my J40 and the RTX wedges with me as I wanted to focus on wedge shots only. Started by warming up with the J40. Immediately found the hosel. After tweaking my setup a little bit I was striping balls pretty good. There was a little wind in my face, and I noticed that I was getting some really high shots.

Next I grabbed the RTX. After swinging the J40 for a bit, I will say that I did notice the heft a little bit more this time around. Oddly enough, I saw the same thing as Cookie and struggled with heavy contact a little in the beginning. Odd because this wedge is shorter than what I've been playing. Moved the ball back a touch and was good to go. Took a number of swings to get comfortable.

Next I moved on to some partial swings, starting with the J40 and moving to the RTX. This continued on to pitch shots and messing with ball position.. After a while though, I just started using the RTX exclusively and messing around a bit.

Control. I was seeing a similar flight that I was to my J40. A little high in the beginning (think I was flipping), but I was able to get it down a bit. I also messed with ball position a little bit and was able to hit some lower shots by moving the ball back to my rear foot. Initially it looked like I was losing a few yards on full shots compared to the J40. That could be attributed to the slightly longer shaft, but it wasn't much and I did have a couple get out there, so I'm thinking with time, I should be fine. I very rarely take a full swing with my 56 on the course anyways. Distance control was not an issue once I started to get used to it. I took aim and was able to come close to pretty much all of the intermediate targets I tried for. Struggled a little with pitches in the beginning, but that was a user error.

Feel. As I said, the RTX did feel a little heftier this time around. My hands were a touch numb (I need weather gloves lol), but I felt like I always knew where the clubhead was during the swing. This should be helpful for touch shots. Since I was off a mat I can't really speak to turf interaction. Sound was actually a little duller than the J40 for me using range balls. I'll save judgement for my regular game ball though.

Unfortunately being at the range I was unable to make any judgments on spin. I will leave you with this though; These grooves are no joke!

Spoiler
52F33070-687F-49BD-8DD2-9A0C89BC521D-2537-0000016B4BFE0553.jpg

Forgot my brush...

I've already got a round planed for this weekend. Weather's supposed to be gorgeous and I'm hopeful to at least get in a good practice session as well, so definitely more to come! Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Some information on the technical side of things.

Features and Benefits

Spoiler
OVERVIEW
Welcome to The New Face of Spin. 588 RTX CB wedges combine the legendary performance of 588 with added forgiveness and the breakthrough Rotex Face – Cleveland Golf’s most advanced spin technology ever.

16% LARGER GROOVES
U-Grooves are more precise and 16% larger to maximize spin on critical scoring shots – especially out of the rough, sand and in wet conditions.

ROUGHER, MORE DURABLE LASER MILLING
Advanced surface roughness technology is now more durable and dimensionally optimized for even more friction at impact. This helps generate even more spin on chips, pitches and partial shots from any lie.

ROTEX PATTERN
Directionally milled face pattern adds roughness and imparts maximum spin on open-face wedge shots where impact tends to be closer to the toe.

WEDGE CAVITY BACK
Undercut cavity promotes perimeter weighting for more forgiveness on off-center hits.

REVERSE C SOLE
Inspired by Cleveland Golf’s popular CG14 andCG16 wedges. Wide, constant-width sole combined with heel and toe grinds improves performance from bunkers and deep rough.

WOMEN’S OFFERING AVAILABLE

588 RTX CB Specs

Spoiler
588 RTX CB Wedges
BounceBounce
LoftDotsAngleLieLengthSwingweightAvailable
46°●●64°35.5"D3RH/LH
48°●●64°35.5"D3RH/LH
50°●●64°35.375"D4RH/LH
52°●●10°64°35.375"D4RH/LH
54°●●12°64°35.25"D6RH/LH
56°●●14°64°35.25"D6RH/LH
58°●●12°64°35.125"D6RH/LH
60°●●12°64°35.125"D6RH/LH
Available Finishes: Satin Chrome and Black Pearl
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Grip: Lamkin 588
Women's 588 RTX CB Wedges
BounceBounce
LoftDotsAngleLieLengthSwingweightAvailable
48°●●64°34.625"C6RH/LH
52°●●10°64°34.5"C6RH/LH
56°●●14°64°34.25"C7RH/LH
60°●●12°64°34.125"C7RH/LH
Available Finish: Satin Chrome
Shaft: Action Ultralite 50 Women's Flex
Grip: Winn 20g

Good thoughts Jon!

I wont touch on the USB as others have already, but I am seriously going to use this USB. It fits in the wallet and it isnt locked so you can put files onto it and pull them off. Thats pretty neat.

Probably going to play tomorrow AM if its warmer than 40*!

Jon, that's pretty aggressive shredding you've got there. I'm guessing you were using range rocks though?

Flynnie I was just looking all the info on that USB drive as well. I think its very cool for Cleveland to send that.

Good thoughts Jon!

I wont touch on the USB as others have already, but I am seriously going to use this USB. It fits in the wallet and it isnt locked so you can put files onto it and pull them off. Thats pretty neat.

Probably going to play tomorrow AM if its warmer than 40*!

It's so nice to have the credit card USB, already started using it daily.

Flynnie I was just looking all the info on that USB drive as well. I think its very cool for Cleveland to send that.
It just adds another layer to the quality Cleveland has put into this club. I like reading the technical side of things so this is great for someone who likes to analyze. It also allows you to see some things up close you may not notice just looking at the club regularly

Kudos to JonD for having one of the best looking avatars on THP right now!! Wow...

Can't stare at it too long, makes me dizzy

The grooves look crazy sick on this thing from the pictures you guys keep throwing up there. Looks great!

Jon, that's pretty aggressive shredding you've got there. I'm guessing you were using range rocks though?

Yep. Range rocks. I will say that my J40 didn't have nearly the buildup though. It's not new, but not that old either.

This one is getting dirty tomorrow. I had hoped to get out after my doctors appointment today but I suck at daily savings time.

I'll be playing this wedge only, should make for an interesting round. Baptism of fire!

Tried these at the store today and was quite impressed. From what I can tell on this site the RTX my guess is the RTXs will be a hit. I ordered a set in Chrome but they wont be released until the 16th so I may not have them until near Thanksgiving. Really looking forward to all the testing and comments on these.

Tried these at the store today and was quite impressed. From what I can tell on this site the RTX my guess is the RTXs will be a hit. I ordered a set in Chrome but they wont be released until the 16th so I may not have them until near Thanksgiving. Really looking forward to all the testing and comments on these.
Did they perform as good as the 588s?

Keith, pga down here has them on the racks. No luck in ATL?

These look like they can spin the cover off the ball. Very nice wedge

They did not have Chrome. Edwin Watts said the Chrome was not going to be release until 16th. You have the Chrome on the shelves?

They did not have Chrome. Edwin Watts said the Chrome was not going to be release until 16th. You have the Chrome on the shelves?

No and that I'm aware of these are only satin and black pearl. I haven't seen anything mentioning a chrome finish. I'll be interested to some comparison with the jpx wedges you had.

I still have the JPX. The wedges have been great with the DC Spinner shafts. They have been very forgiving with high spin so I am interested in how the RTXs compare also. No complaints at all with the JPXs.

Good to hear buddy. I expect that'll be a fun shootout.

Did anybody go with the satin wedge? Or did all the testers go with the black pearl? Interested on how the satin look outside.

Back