Most golf balls lost during a round?

I was once behind a guy that rented clubs, and bought 2 dozen balls from the pro shop, threw them in a plastic shopping bag and then started his round.

Hole #1 was uneventful for him. But on the 2nd hole, he lost 23 of the 24 balls he bought. How you ask? He put his scorecard and pencil in the bottom of the bag before throwing all the balls in. The bag tore on him 3/4 of the way down the fairway and he didn't notice.

We ended up gathering up the trail of balls and flagging him down at the next tee box, where he looked at us like we were idiots for interrupting his round LOL.

That's a good story, bradd!

When I started golf, I'd typically lose around 10 balls per round. Now I'm between 0-3 on average.

It also makes a difference on the course you play. A wide open course with no hazards will result in less lost balls than a tree lined course with a bunch of water on it.

Most in a round? Perhaps 7 or 8, but that would be me having a Tin Cup moment. In a Scramble? A dozen, depending on the course. Once there's a ball in play, all bets are off. 110% may be great effort, but it's not an overly accurate golf swing.

I've lost more than my fair share in a round. A new course I've played a few times by the new house has a few blind tee shots & the grass is starting to turn which leads to giving up looking & dropping another one.
If I had to put a number on it I'd say a dozen on a very bad day.

Some good posts here cool idea. When I first started playing I was losing too many to count now it depends on the course and the day. Now I average about 3 or 4 a round.

Sent from my AOKP Gnex

I play much more conservatively now so I don't lose too many, but I was good for 4 or 5 most rounds before that, maybe 8 at the most. I hate losing a ball on the first swing the most.

Probably 6 or 7 for me. I hate those days.

Its a lot easier to loose them in the fall thanks to all the leaves. Probably 10 or so would be the most in a round and that's defeating enough.

I remember a round at Swaneset Bay, a course that Lee Trevino designed (where much of Happy Gilmore was filmed) where I lost every ball I had and every one I could find. Finally, I gave up. I was basically depressed, but I had no balls left either.

Anything slightly off fairway there, particularly then, rolls into deep punishing fescue.

Worse, I found I had no balls left on the hole that was furthest away from the clubhouse, carrying my bag, on a hot day, all alone and had paid good money for that hellish day.

Id say I lost between 9 and 12, plus found and lost another 3 or 4.

Im not sure exactly but Im sure I've lost 6 or 7 balls in a round a couple times.

My home course has water on 13 or 18 holes....I have had a bad day where I lost 8-10 balls....I know I played one day last year that just really was bad and I hit 3 in the water on the first hole!

When I played Thanksgiving (ironic) Point I lost about a dozen balls. The rough was up to my knees, 30 mph winds, it was terrible.

Sometimes I don't even count how many I lose on a bad day. At the AC Outing I had 3 straight holes where I scored 10 on. I don't know how many balls I lost, but I was lucky to have enough balls to finish the d*mn round! Extremely frustrated, especially in front of my fellow THP foursome!!!

Hmm last year I had 13 penalty strokes during a round, I can't recall how many lead to lost balls hut is venture to guess 8 or 9

I try not to lose any but usually about 1-2 per round . Last week though i lost 3 because of the stupid leaves on the ground. Losing balls will set me off more than hitting them in a pond or woods. Then there is this one guy that will play with us a couple times a month , he is a newbie at golf and brings 2 dozen of Nike MOJo's with him and I promise he only has a couple balls left when he is done lol, they guy just keeps on hitting them into the woods and will not try and find them .

Last week I played 36 holes without a lost ball, the next day my swing was off so bad I lost 7 balls in 8 holes and called it a day. Sometimes it's just not worth it.

My first junior tournament ever, I shot 129 (I was 10). I would imagine that round is up there, but I'm probably somewhere up around 7-8 balls being the most I've lost.

Guess I can't beat you guys. The most I've lost was 9 and I only brought 10 balls. Couldn't afford to lose the last one so I played irons the rest of the round. I never knew how much balls were worth until that point in time.

I played with biggsy and AHA last year, managed to lose 14 balls.

One game of 9 in the fall a couple years ago by hole 3 I had last 9 balls. I think my final tally was 22 balls because of leaves in the fairway. You could lose balls by putting!

I once lost 17 Top Flite XL7000 golf balls in a round. I was 13 playing a fairly difficult golf course.

When I first started playing there was a great course near me that was extremely cheap. It was an extremely tough course with water hazards everywhere. It was nothing at all for me to lose a dozen balls in a round. I would buy used balls and would still sometimes spend more on balls then I did for the greens fee. I wouldn't be surprised if I lost more than 20 in a single round.

The above numbers are helping me be honest! As a new golfer, I dropped a 15 pack of brand new Top Flites AND a dozen or more that were in my bag during one round. I lost the entire box in the first 9 holes & promptly purchased a ball retriever at the turn!!! The best $20 I ever spent at that course. During slow rounds(often) I scoop balls from the ditches & ponds that surround most of the holes. Helps keep me relaxed... During a typical walking round I might scoop 50 balls & still be pushing the group in front!

I've probably lost at least 10 balls in a round on more than one occasion, but i tend not to look very hard for them.

My wife and I just started playing again this summer after a 11 years away from the game. She plays 9 with her mom every week. She scores her play in balls lost instead of strokes. Me:"how was it today?" Wife:"great, only lost 3 balls", or "terrible, lost 8". :act-up:

The most I have lost in on round is 8, and one of those was a great tee shot that we all saw land in the middle of the fairway, but could no find it when we got there. Technically I lost 14 in that round. One of my playing partners went through the whole dozen he brought, bummed 6 off of me and lost all of those too.

I played at Stone Harbor yesterday and the starter told everyone that hasn't played there before to make sure they have at least a dozen balls with them we kind of thought he was crazy but at the end of the day he was right, I lost 11 balls and I wasn't the only one to do so, everyone else in my group lost multiple balls. It was a tough course water everywhere and a lot of blind shots.

Back