2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunch run - used week 4 of the 10K trainer today.

5 min warm up
Run 3 / Walk 1:30 / Run 5 / Walk 2:30 / Run 3 / Walk 1:30 / Run 5
5 min Cool Down

Ran outside a little before lunch because I was worried it'd start raining again.

Went good.

Possibly skipping ahead to week 5's runs next run.

Ready to get started with Insanity tonight.

I would agree Wicked, but the one area I would never avoid stretching is the shoulder complex. People don't realize how tough golf is on the shoulder complex. I know I never stretched them enough during my heavy lifting days, and I have paid the price. I highly recommend Mark Verstegans book "Core Performance for Golf"... a ton of great exercises and applicable stretches. Some stretches do more harm than good, ( the old bend over with straight legs and touch your toes! ) and the ones in this book are very golf specific.

Very good advice my man! I will look into that book too. Thanks for the info!

Sweet; thanks for the thoughts. I have done two of these hill sessions now. I am going to continue this routine for at least another 4 weeks (and maybe more). I will update this thread to the progress, etc. of the hill runs after I have had an opportunity to see the benefits I gain from it.

Nice man! Good luck and I really look forward to hearing about your progress and fitness!

Two-a-days have started. I've often used the two-a-day workout approach when I'm strugging to get over a hurdle or in need of a quick shredder. I've slipped a bit in the nutrition department here lately so in order to get the kickstart I need to finally get over that last big hurdle on my way to my ultimate goal (205 and a total of 52 lbs lost) I am going to push hard on some two-a-days for a while. I found that doing this helps my nutrition too because if I eat poorly during the day I feel lethargic and won't want to get in that 2nd workout of the day.

Today was 45 minutes of kickboxing this morning and a 3 mile run on the treadmill this evening.
Tomorrow will be 45 minutes of lower body workout in the AM followed by 30 minutes on the eliptical and a 15 minute run on the treadmill.

The 2nd workout of the day will always be cardio and generally under 30 minutes, the idea is to just get the metabolism fired back up once it has slowed down for the day/night. This helps a ton and the lbs usually melt right off.

I'm going to do the two-a-days at least 3 to hopefully 5 days a week from now until Christmas/New Years time frame depending on where I'm at.

Captain Jake- this is freaking amazing my man!!! That is great to hear. Please keep us updated with your awesome progress!

Sounds great Jake! I might add in some 2 a days myself. If I do it will be a run at lunch and insanity in the evening. I struggle hard working out in the mornings.

This arrived tonight and i will be starting tomorrow.
ypy8yzag.jpg

Thanks Ddxu

Get after it bro! And yes thanks to ddxu for sharing the gift!

Thank you to all of you for sharing your thoughts and efforts in this thread.

Losing weight is the biggest thing in my life right now. You guys are keeping me motivated to eat well work out and truly get me down this path and winning the battle more than accepting defeat!

You are doing it yourself bro. We are just here for the support. Take the credit you deserve. You are doing it! You are taking control of your fitness!

Lunch run - used week 4 of the 10K trainer today.

5 min warm up
Run 3 / Walk 1:30 / Run 5 / Walk 2:30 / Run 3 / Walk 1:30 / Run 5
5 min Cool Down

Ran outside a little before lunch because I was worried it'd start raining again.

Went good.

Possibly skipping ahead to week 5's runs next run.

Ready to get started with Insanity tonight.

Good luck with Insanity! I havn't done it- I have many friends who swear by it. Please let us know your thoughts!

Well I may have messed up my Achilles last night... And bad.

We had the fit test and then the first day of max side of insanity. I was doing running lunges and came down on my leg and felt my left leg go numb for a second and then a sharp pain in my Achilles up through my leg. I'm resting today but if its still this painful I will be visiting the doctor

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Dhill you are....well insane I guess. Running during the day then Insanity at night. Go get it buddy! You are going to see amazing results and fast going about it that way.

WCBM, thanks bro. I feel absolutely awesome today just after 1 two-a-day. Lower body/AB workout went great this AM so I'm looking forward to the cardio tonight. I love getting this addicted feeling back!

Well I may have messed up my Achilles last night... And bad.

We had the fit test and then the first day of max side of insanity. I was doing running lunges and came down on my leg and felt my left leg go numb for a second and then a sharp pain in my Achilles up through my leg. I'm resting today but if its still this painful I will be visiting the doctor

TapaTalk from the iPhone

That really stinks Texas. Wow I am so sorry. I really hope you didn't do anything serious.

Dhill you are....well insane I guess. Running during the day then Insanity at night. Go get it buddy! You are going to see amazing results and fast going about it that way.

WCBM, thanks bro. I feel absolutely awesome today just after 1 two-a-day. Lower body/AB workout went great this AM so I'm looking forward to the cardio tonight. I love getting this addicted feeling back!

Good wording my man. When this starts to happen and you expect to feel great after a workout, stuff becomes easier.

Sounds great Jake! I might add in some 2 a days myself. If I do it will be a run at lunch and insanity in the evening. I struggle hard working out in the mornings.

This arrived tonight and i will be starting tomorrow.
ypy8yzag.jpg

Thanks Ddxu

Damn straight bro, glad it got there ok. I expect repayment by the concession of anything under 5' by all of Team Paradise come July in MB.

Damn straight bro, glad it got there ok. I expect repayment by the concession of anything under 5' by all of Team Paradise come July in MB.

hahaha nice.

Ace,

I have a beer gut. Please help!

Thanks,
One-T

Alright operation get back to being healthy and stop being a fata$$ has officially begun!

I went grocery shopping yesterday and got lots of lean meats, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and tons of fruits and veggies. I made a delicious, and healthy, taco salad for dinner last night and I will have the leftovers for dinner tonight.

On top of that I bought some great workout DVD's so I can work out even if I am traveling. They should be here tomorrow and I plan to start them tomorrow if they get here early enough, if not then I will begin the workout portion of my get healthy plan on Thursday.

I knew it was time to get back into a healthier lifestyle when my fat pants were too tight, and things like burgers, wings and pizza didn't even sound good to me anymore because they were no longer a treat, but more the norm in my eating habits recently.

Feels so good to eat healthy, natural foods again.

Alright operation get back to being healthy and stop being a fata$$ has officially begun!

I went grocery shopping yesterday and got lots of lean meats, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and tons of fruits and veggies. I made a delicious, and healthy, taco salad for dinner last night and I will have the leftovers for dinner tonight.

On top of that I bought some great workout DVD's so I can work out even if I am traveling. They should be here tomorrow and I plan to start them tomorrow if they get here early enough, if not then I will begin the workout portion of my get healthy plan on Thursday.

I knew it was time to get back into a healthier lifestyle when my fat pants were too tight, and things like burgers, wings and pizza didn't even sound good to me anymore because they were no longer a treat, but more the norm in my eating habits recently.

Feels so good to eat healthy, natural foods again.
Seems like since you left Tiger's gym it just hasn't been the same for you. You need Tiger's gym back. Haha!

Sounds like some awesome food choices there GG! I love having a kitchen full of healthy choices, if they're not there and relatively easy for me to whip together I immediately start pondering eating out and that is my absolute weakness.

I did back and legs today before work. I can barely sit straight at the desk now because of it. Felt great afterwards but i'm in a mid shift slump, didn't help that dinner was pan fried seabass which turned out to be more bones than meat so i ended up eating the salad. I know i'm gonna be hungry again in a hour :angry:

So my wife and I were talking about my weight loss plan, she asked me where I though I needed to be. At first I threw out 200lbs, currently 230. Then I started to wonder, where should I be. I know my years in the Navy they said,y ideal weight was 182. Based on my height of 6'0", but that was never even on the radar. I was down to 189 about 7 years ago, but I will tell you I looked like I was sick. So how do you know where you should be? Is it a weight or how you want t look and feel.

Seems like since you left Tiger's gym it just hasn't been the same for you. You need Tiger's gym back. Haha!

Sounds like some awesome food choices there GG! I love having a kitchen full of healthy choices, if they're not there and relatively easy for me to whip together I immediately start pondering eating out and that is my absolute weakness.

You are very right about that, I was in some of my best shape when I worked out at that gym. I was in such a good routine it made it easy to go everyday. I just need to get into a groove again, once I do that I will be set.

Hey coach Beard, I finally got back to the ole pumphouse this week and Ill tell ya it feels pretty darn good.Started to get that workout buzz u know. I,ve started lite this first week so as not to be too sore and its helping but still sore so im doin sumthin right. I,m doin 15 mins. at 4.0 speed and 2.5 incline on the treadmill after workout and im shooting 15 mins. of B-ball after that thats my cardio. Did bi,s and shoulders on Mon. and tri,s and back today. Tomorrow should I do legs or chest? Reason im askin is because of the tri,s dont know how sore they will be tomorrow. Thx. for the answer and motivation!

So my wife and I were talking about my weight loss plan, she asked me where I though I needed to be. At first I threw out 200lbs, currently 230. Then I started to wonder, where should I be. I know my years in the Navy they said,y ideal weight was 182. Based on my height of 6'0", but that was never even on the radar. I was down to 189 about 7 years ago, but I will tell you I looked like I was sick. So how do you know where you should be? Is it a weight or how you want t look and feel.

This is why I like to take into account body fat % as well as actual weight. This, along with other health indicators, can help you determine goals.

You are very right about that, I was in some of my best shape when I worked out at that gym. I was in such a good routine it made it easy to go everyday. I just need to get into a groove again, once I do that I will be set.
You were on a roll back then! It feels awesome to be in that kind of a groove. When you're not in one of those grooves it feels so hard to achieve, yet when you get going and get back at it it's quite easy and addicting.

I'm in a great groove workout wise but HAVE to buckle down on some of the foods I eat. I'm too close to my goals not to keep pushing hard now.

I really need to starting throwing kegs at the pump house since I have a free facility at our apartment. Someone motivate me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back