do you have a problem deciding which 14 clubs to play with

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I ask because as I am in the market for new clubs. I was wondering how some of you decdided which ones to sacrifice for others. Perhaps you wanted the extra wedge or two but had to give up another one or two somewhere else down the line. Perhaps a hybrid which again caused you to give up another.

Did you give up that third wood (maybe a 5) or perhaps a long iron?

I am probably going to get a 3 and possibly a 4 hybrid which i would have to sacrifice my 3 and 4 irons for if i indeed do get them. But I do definately want another wedge which for me would be a lob wedge. I'm bit tired of my sw for anything and everything thats inside so i want a lob.

But i'm not sure what to give up. i think it have to be my 5w but i like the 5w so bit of a delema. Probably my 3wood is least used club of all for me but still something i want in my bag. I imagine I could probably utilize the 3hyb in places where i would have used my 5w. I just dont know or since my 5w is a favorite and my 3w is least used maybe i do away with that 3w until the rare shot for me pops up that requires it and then what?

i know we're all different golfers and distances and all have different needs and preferences. But how did you come to your decison for your 14 and were you happy with the decision? Do you wish you had made different choices when bought your last set? Perhaps you have more than 14 or utilize your old set oin order to change which ones to bring based on where you play. With even that said, perhaps you have couple clubs in your latest set that dont see action and arent even in your bag anymore.

Truth be told, I change my set up all the time. Sometimes I am sitting here trying to figure out how to fill two slots in my bag. Other times I'm trying to figure out how I can get a certain club in there and which one to sacrifice. My needs seem to be ever changing.

I traded my 5-wood and 4-iron for my hybrids. My 4-h has the same loft as my 4-i did, so that was a no brainer given how much better I hit the hybrid. 5-w loft was close to my 3-h, and I could just not hit the thing. That made it all pretty simple for me

Depends on how you like to play the game. My old iron set was strong lofted, with a PW at 48˚. So I carried three to four non-set wedges depending. This limited what I could carry in the lower end of the bag. So no 4I, which I loved off the tee, but did not hit as well as my 7W anyways. I would mix & match wedges & FWs to get where I needed. I'm actually happy with the 56˚ being the highest loft for me right now. If I wanted to drop another one, I'd either drop my 3W or 4I. Might switch them out depending on the course.

No problem at all. I know my distances and don't have any large concerning gaps

Nope. I dont ever put too much emphasis on filling the full 14. I only play 11 now, and it works pretty good for me at the moment.

I never have until now. With the SCORs I have a lot of wedges, but only 1 club between 4i and driver. After the testing I'll do some experimentation of my own to see what works best for me.

For me it depends on the course and the weather. If it's a great day and no wind, I'll leave my 4i and maybe 5i out of the bag for hybrids and 5W that fly higher. If it's windy I probably will play my 4 & 5 to keep the ball lower out of the wind. Also, the couse will help me determine what's in the bag. If there are open fronts on the greens, I might want to run a 4i up on the green. If it's more target golf with more bunkers and such, I'll go for my hybrids or 5W to fly the ball on the green.

I always have a 52 and 56 in my bag and swap out the 54 and 60 depending on the firmness and elevation of the greens. Then I look at the par 5's to determine which 2 fairway clubs I'm going to bring out of 22, 19, 17, 15 or 13 degree options. But of course there are many factors I usually miss that leaves me saying "%$# I wish I would have brought that other club.

It was trial and error for me. I always used to carry 1-3-5 wood, 3 thru PW, SW, putter.
Then I added a 52 degree "gap wedge".
Then I dropped the 5 wood and added a hybrid which then led me to dropping the 3 iron and adding a 58 degree "lob wedge".
Like I said, all of this was trial and error to find what the best formula was for me.

I traded my 5-wood and 4-iron for my hybrids. My 4-h has the same loft as my 4-i did, so that was a no brainer given how much better I hit the hybrid. 5-w loft was close to my 3-h, and I could just not hit the thing. That made it all pretty simple for me
Pretty much what I did...My 5 wood was just as good as my 3 hybrid so out it went and my 60 degree went back in the bag.I keep all 14 the same now as I've had my RazrX set for a while now and am very comfortable with performance and distance .

Pretty much what I did...My 5 wood was just as good as my 3 hybrid so out it went and my 60 degree went back in the bag.I keep all 14 the same now as I've had my RazrX set for a while now and am very comfortable with performance and distance .

yea and as said I'm tninking along those lines but just that I'm attached to my 5w. My existing set is about 10yrs old but that 5w is from a set my dad use to have and is about 10 yrs older than that. I just love using the club and thats part the reason I'm having the delema

I did but finally settled on what I play now. I used to carry a lot of wedges but had gaps in the longer clubs. I drooped my 52 degree for a 5W to fill the gap between the 3W and 4i.

I never have until now. With the SCORs I have a lot of wedges, but only 1 club between 4i and driver. After the testing I'll do some experimentation of my own to see what works best for me.

I'm in the same boat. It'll either be the 3-iron or the hybrid for me (most likely the 3-iron though)

It's a record, I've had the same setup for 6 months. I chose a driver, 3 wood, 5 wood instead of a 3 iron and a rescue instead of a 4 iron. This long club set up gives me great coverage off the tee and for long shots in long holes.

I play 5-9, PW, AW and ATV sand wedge. I use my ATV from everything like sand to rough etc this set up works well for me

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

I rarely change my setup but when I do it a swap,4hybo for 4i.

Didn't you once firmly say nobody needed loft above 56* or more than 3 wedges? Has your mindset changed or is it for testing purposes?

I play what I need. I don't have a club over 19* besides driver because I don't need one. I have 4 wedges because I miss a fair amount of greens and play courses where my drives leave me inside 120 a lot.

Didn't you once firmly say nobody needed loft above 56* or more than 3 wedges? Has your mindset changed or is it for testing purposes?

I play what I need. I don't have a club over 19* besides driver because I don't need one. I have 4 wedges because I miss a fair amount of greens and play courses where my drives leave me inside 120 a lot.

Changed for testing, and with this Bermuda grass things are a bit different. I need some more loft sometimes. Not sure if I'll stick with the 61* or not after testing (testing will determine that). Then my highest would be 57*.

That was me. Yes I did say that.

You weren't the only one. I'm a recent convert and I agree. I could see getting a 57˚ maybe but that would be it (specifically 45, 51, 57, replacing the PW). While I see nothing wrong with carrying as many as you want, I've been good with just two non-set wedges for the last handful of months. Maybe I'm not playing tough enough courses, but I can't think of a time that I've missed my 60˚. Seems like whenever I think it, I manage to pull off a shot with my 56˚. Everyone's different though, so do whatever works best for your game.

I struggle with which of 14 (+3) putters to play, does that count?

i pretty much keep with what i've got but only recently threw the 4i back in the bag but hardly use it because i dont like the 4i and 5i in my set. I like to keep what i have because i'd hate to think i had a club in the bag only to have taken it out in my last round.

considering i only have 14 clubs, not really.

considering i only have 14 clubs, not really.

I'm with you here. I have an extra R9 driver but I don't count that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back