Spikes or spikeless

TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
Most of the courses I've played on dictate 'soft spikes only'. I've noticed a fair number of touring pros still use metal spikes on their golf shoes. I read an article in an Australian golf magazine about 12 months ago which challenged whether soft spikes are better than metal spikes. From memory, the article was inconclusive but it highlighted that soft spikes can cause damage to greens as well as metal spikes.

What's your view?

Which one do you think is better?

I could be wrong, but I heard or read somewhere that the golf clubs wanted the soft spikes to protect their floors more than their greens. Personally I don't have a preference when it comes to spikes.

I dont have a preference either. Todays soft spikes work quite well.

I could be wrong, but I heard or read somewhere that the golf clubs wanted the soft spikes to protect their floors more than their greens. ....

There might be something in that MO_Hacker. I think the metal spikes would tend to damage carpets or other floorings much easier.

From memory, the article was inconclusive but it highlighted that soft spikes can cause damage to greens as well as metal spikes.

What's your view?

Which one do you think is better?

I think the problem is caused by people dragging their feet, not by either type of spike. I think the last time I played a course that allowed metal spikes was probably 1995? Give or take a year. I wore the metal as long as I could, but the time finally came when I needed to replace my spikes and I just started buying soft spikes. I don't have a preference, but it's a moo point since none of the places I play even give you the option.

a moo point? Is that what the Chick Fil A cow says? lol

a moo point? Is that what the Chick Fil A cow says? lol

No, come on now! A moo point. A cow's opinion. Doesn't matter.
cow.gif

(A line by Joey on Friends)

I thought I was the only one that remembered that. Great line on Friends.

I stole that line when he said it! I've used it ever since, and even used it on here once but no one noticed that time!

... I wore the metal as long as I could, but the time finally came when I needed to replace my spikes and I just started buying soft spikes. I don't have a preference, but it's a moo(t) point since none of the places I play even give you the option.

Let me start by saying that I've never worn metal spikes, only soft ones. I have noticed, however, that soft spikes can damage the green, if you don't watch what your doing. You make a good point Smallville. Metal spikes were popular, perhaps for obvious reasons, and they remain popular with touring pros.

My question is this. If it came out that metal spikes are not more damaging than soft spikes, could you see a resurgence?

... or to put it another way, if metal spikes are no more damaging, would the ban by golf clubs be under threat?

If metal spikes are no more damaging, the only real defence by a golf club would be to argue that metal spikes damage flooring. Then I supposed supporters of metal spikes could argue that they'd change shoes before entering the club house. Interesting.

Metal spikes cost more for manufacturers to make. Plus they wear down less so people spend less on replacements.

I was working at a CC when the change to soft spikes was made and recall a conversation with the head pro in which he said something to the effect that soft spikes can still damage the surface of the greens if people aren't careful but he also said that structures on the course such as wooden bridges/steps and cart paths see virtually no damage from soft spikes. And of course the obvious differences all ready mentioned on carpets and floors.

it doesnt effect me cuz i have never worn metal. they were banned when i was about 3 or so. but i have noticed people like robert karlsson, miguel angel jiminez, and martin kaymer wearing metal spikes on the european tour. from what i know, they are still regular on the european tour but most pga tour players have converted to soft spikes

I have no preference either way. I like the sound of the metal spikes on blacktop but that's the only thing I like about them over soft spikes. I only played a little while with metal spikes. I had them and then a course I played (maybe in Tennessee) only allowed soft spikes so I had to go out and get some and never changed back.

I can see the arguement of the metal spikes damaging floors, bridges and other things like that.

Spiked shoes vs non spiked?

Spiked shoes vs non spiked?

Hi guys
Looking to get some new shoes, and obviously there are more and more non tradition spiked shoes like the ashworth cardiffs for example.
Are these even an option for winter golf? Or are these summer only?
I like the idea of having a shoe I can just slip on over at the range etc.
Any feedback would be great

I haven't worn a spiked shoe (aside from reviews) for over a year at this point. That includes summer, fall, winter, and spring golf. The Cardiffs are good in that the nubs are pretty substantial and offer a good amount of grip. I prefer the Callaway Del Mar, but the Cardiffs are very good and I wear them regularly.

I agree with Hawk, great shoe, give these a try!

I never wore spikeless in the winter. But I had a lot of pain in the outside of my left foot. I didn't feel the support in the. I have a sweet pair of Footjoy XPS-1 Boa shoes that I wear. I love those things. So comfortable and stable.

I wear both but prefer my adicross, and PuMA spikeless. They just work on all terrains and conditions. Are you leaning toward the Cardiff?

To be honest they were just the first ones that sprung to mind.
I've seen these
hetenede.jpg

Or these
qy4udeju.jpg

I have a pair of adidas spike less shoes that I wear every once in a while. I prefer spikes, specially in wet conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only worn spiked. Spikeless scare me

Back