Chromax Distance - Forum Testing Review Thread

The temps tomorrow are really suppose to drop about 20 degrees so I guess next time I test these I will really see how hard the babies feel.

DawgDaddy and bhilton - thanks for the great summaries of your rounds.

bhilton - I'd be curious to see what sort of launch, driver spin and ball speed you are seeing with these balls compared to the ProV1 and Pro V1x. As for stopping power on full shots, what you saw was pretty close to what I've been seeing. No problems keeping the ball on the green at all. I agree that it's definitely got a firm click to it off the putter.

DawgDaddy - Very cool that you were able to show them off and get some comments from the guys you played with. I'm always curious to hear what people that aren't constantly talking/hearing about equipment (like we do) feel about things. Enjoyed the pictures and it sounds like you felt like I did - it was fun to knock this ball around.

Now that you mention this, it has given me an idea if my course will let me do it. We have TrackMan set up in the teaching building at our driving range. If the pro will let me, I'll take the Chromax up there along with various other balls just to get some numbers to see how they react off of different clubs compared to other balls. I'll ask next time I go out there and see if they'll let me. If they do, I'll post the results.

I was able to go out Sunday afternoon and get in another quick nine holes with the Chromax. I was kind of in a rush, so I didn't have time to play two balls, so I just played the entire round with the green Chromax. For the most part, I got the same results I did Friday, but there were a few differences. I'll start with this one, and this is purely my opinion. The orange ball is easier to see in flight for me, but the green is much easier to see in deep rough. It may be different in the summer when the grass is still green, but this time of year when there isn't a lot of green grass, you can probably see that green ball from space. I hit a shot right in the rough on the first hole. Usually balls here sink down and the grass and bury and you can't find your ball unless you step on it. I was about 30 to 40 yards away and I could see the top part of the green Chromax shining bright.

Another surprising find was on the first hole. I missed the green left and had a pretty lengthy chip. I hit the chip well short of the pin expecting it to roll out to pin and it stopped on a dime. This was the only time this happened, though. I had several other chip shots during the 9 holes and none of them stopped like that one did. The rest of them rolled out like you would expect a hard ball to do.

I'm still not getting much distance off my driver with this ball which surprises me since it's a distance ball. There were several tee shots that I hit really well and they didn't get anywhere near where I normally am on those holes. When I think of a distance ball, I think of something you would pull out during a scramble on a long drive contest hole, but there is no way I would use this ball.

I still get fairly good spin off full iron and wedge shots. On the 7th hole, I had a 4I into the green and it only rolled out about 12 or so feet from the ball mark. Shorter irons and wedges were stopping within a foot or two.

These aren't bad balls and I would recommend them to beginners. I know the price point is kind of high, but the way I look at it, they won't lose the ball unless they hit it in the water, so over time I think they may actually save money. They wouldn't have to keep buying the cheaper balls.

My first post about my background and initial thoughts here

Chromax Testing Night Putting

Equipment Used: Odyssey White ICE Belly Putter, #7-Courtesy of Wonton!
Chromax Distance balls, green and yellow

Today I tested the balls in low light. I decided that this was important because many of us who play golf in the winter months, know that the light is limited, and we sometimes finish out last holes in the dark or low light. Today I used my new Odyssey #7 belly putter (courtesy of Wonton!) From my previous, initial experience, I noticed that the balls were pretty hard, and so I chose to use this putter because of the softer insert.

I lined up the first putt, after laying down one of the balls, and putted. The ball gave a distinctive loud click off the putter face, it sounds really hard if you ask me, but It did not lack feel. I really felt the ball through the putter face, and I actually liked it.

The first thing I noticed was dang, these balls are bright and in the low light of dusk, I was still able to putt effectively and was able to track my ball across the large putting green. I noticed that both ball colors were really bright in the darkness, but I also noticed that the bright green was easier to see in low light.

Here is a small video I took in the low light, to show how easy they were to trace in the dark. Pay attention to the sound of the ball hitting the putter face, it's quite loud and hard.

Next time I go to the range, I will be testing the balls with a harder putter, and some wedges as well as make some ball comparisons

Last edited:
Jeez those things are like a light bright in low light conditions! That's awesome!

Jeez those things are like a light bright in low light conditions! That's awesome!

yeah man, it was really surprising to me too, if they are this bright in the dark, who knows how they will be in a bright hot summer day

Date: Sunday, December 9[SUP]th[/SUP], 2012
Weather: Low 40s and windy
Purpose: Testing Chromax golf ball on course impressions

On Sunday I woke up and saw it was about 40 degrees, so I figured it was ok golf weather. I packed up the clubs, including my new Cobra Amp and my Chromax golf balls and headed to the course. I had the course to myself so I decided to play the Chromax along with the Q-Star on a few of the holes for some comparison.

I only used the driver on 4 holes, but hit the fairway on all 4. I really enjoy the feel of the ball off of the driver face on solid shots. I can really feel the ball compress off of the face and it seems to trampoline off and produce a nice, high ball flight with little sidespin. I was seeing similar distances to the Q-Star and on two of the holes they were within five yards of each other.

As for hitting greens I hit 6/9 greens. I would have hit 7, but one the ball hit the green and rolled off the back. It was cold and the greens are pretty darn hard here right now so it is difficult to blame the Chromax, but I can tell you for certain that it isn’t a ball that is going to back up on the greens. I have noticed that on well struck long irons the ball has that same solid feeling as it does off the driver and it produces a nice high ball flight with little sidespin as well. When I missed greens it wasn’t by much, and it definitely wasn’t the balls fault.

The wedges is where I seem to be having issues. The ball feels heavy to me. On my HOTD video you can hear it with my PW, but I honestly just don’t like the feel of the ball on my wedges. It doesn’t necessarily feel like a rock, but it feels heavier than a Q-Star or E6.

The putter I am feeling the same thing. It rolls similar to the Q-Star, I wasn’t missing putts long or short, but the sound is unpleasant to me. I really hope I get used to the feel of this thing, but right now I am not totally enjoying it.

Speaking in terms of durability, I used the same Chromax ball for all 9 holes and I would absolutely play it again. The ball doesn’t show any cuts or scrapes and seems to look the same as when I took it out of the sleeve.

Below is my HOTD. My phone died as I was recording the putts, and I swear I made a par haha. On my approach into the green my PW hit and rolled out only about six feet, it was one of my best approach shots of the day.

[video=youtube;qAuWz2-e45E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAuWz2-e45E[/video]

Also, to answer a question I saw posed earlier; the ball doesn’t leave any color on the face of the ball. It leaves ball marks similar to what I have seen with any other ball.

I played the green and the orange/gold a bit this past weekend in South Carolina.

I'm not sure I could have gone all-in like that, chewie. I have a hard time using new gear when I'm in a situation like that, so I have to give you props. The descriptions I'm hearing on the gold really do make me want to give it a try.

Nice job giving your honest assessment. Sounds like it was not an easy transition coming from your other ball and that's not really a surprise to me. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you after getting back in a more comfortable environment on your home course.

8263098960_d21043f5eb.jpg

8262030521_60f84d111b.jpg

Those pictures are awesome! Nice job bringing something unique to the thread, Mr Satchmo.

Right now I don't think I would game these because of the price, my current ball performs better to me and the price is comparable. Everyone with questions please let us know, all of us testing will be glad to give you our thoughts.

I think that's completely understandable, DawgDaddy. What sort of price do you think would get you to buy them? Maybe not as your everyday gamer, but as a ball that you used occasionally?

Well I played Sunday at my home course and was able to make a whole day of testing the Chromax golf ball. I play 27 holes before I played in a scramble that afternoon which I felt would give me great opportunity to really test these balls out on alot of different shots around the course. I was also able to get out there today and really do some comparisons using other balls against the Chromax. Here is a recap of my outing and testing results for today.

Impressive review, APC! I was curious to see how this would work out for you as a higher swing speed player. It seems like they performed decently for you after you made a couple adjustments. Have to agree on durability. It seems like they are tough to beat up. Part of me wonders if the translucent cover and metallic layer sort of hide scuffs.

Thanks for the hard work - I loved reading that.

Now that you mention this, it has given me an idea if my course will let me do it. We have TrackMan set up in the teaching building at our driving range. If the pro will let me, I'll take the Chromax up there along with various other balls just to get some numbers to see how they react off of different clubs compared to other balls. I'll ask next time I go out there and see if they'll let me. If they do, I'll post the results.

I hope they do let you. I'll tell you right now that I tried to get some info on a simulator and it wouldn't pick up the ball. Just flat out acted like it wasn't there. I'm going to try the same on a vector monitor here soon I hope.

The distance thing is definitely interesting to me because you (and APCo) are two I sort of expected could see some gains. Very good thoughts, especially concerning the price vs potential to find the ball. Not something I'd thought about.

Great review!

Date: Sunday, December 9[SUP]th[/SUP], 2012
Weather: Low 40s and windy
Purpose: Testing Chromax golf ball on course impressions

On Sunday I woke up and saw it was about 40 degrees, so I figured it was ok golf weather. I packed up the clubs, including my new Cobra Amp and my Chromax golf balls and headed to the course. I had the course to myself so I decided to play the Chromax along with the Q-Star on a few of the holes for some comparison.

I've got a Q-Star at home and I'm going to see if I am seeing similar results in distance. It does interest me because they are both 2 piece balls, but are pretty different in terms of softness in the core. How was the ball flight between the two? Was one higher or lower?

I also have to wonder if we'd see the same results in warmer weather. It's been pretty chilly here as of late.

6/9 greens is incredibly solid, TH. Nice job as always, bud.

I've got a Q-Star at home and I'm going to see if I am seeing similar results in distance. It does interest me because they are both 2 piece balls, but are pretty different in terms of softness in the core. How was the ball flight between the two? Was one higher or lower?

I also have to wonder if we'd see the same results in warmer weather. It's been pretty chilly here as of late.

6/9 greens is incredibly solid, TH. Nice job as always, bud.

Thank you for the well wishes dude, I appreciate the motivation. To answer your question, I felt like the Q-Star was maybe a touch higher off the Driver, but keep in mind I had the Cobra Amp out for the first time on Sunday, I took it out of the wrapper and onto the course, so I was seeing a bit of a higher ballflight.

I think maybe the ball wouldn't feel so "hard/dull" to me if it was summertime, but I cant say for sure man? Do you remember that feeling off your chips and stuff when you tested them the first time around?

It's hard to tell. I waver back and forth with how I think weather effects balls. I know what I'm supposed to think, but I don't always know if that's what I truly see.

I do remember how they reacted off of short wedges and the putter. Definitely the firmest sounding ball of the ones I compared it to on the putter. I noticed more of a difference on wedges the farther off-center I got. To me, there was quite a difference from the Q-Star, but not as much with the e6.

Now, when I hit the e6 with a full swing I notice a HUGE difference, which I'd attribute to the core I guess.

It's hard to tell. I waver back and forth with how I think weather effects balls. I know what I'm supposed to think, but I don't always know if that's what I truly see.

I do remember how they reacted off of short wedges and the putter. Definitely the firmest sounding ball of the ones I compared it to on the putter. I noticed more of a difference on wedges the farther off-center I got. To me, there was quite a difference from the Q-Star, but not as much with the e6.

Now, when I hit the e6 with a full swing I notice a HUGE difference, which I'd attribute to the core I guess.

My secret santa sent me some e6s so I think I am going to maybe go to the Par 3 course with the e6, Qstar, and the Chromax and be able to get some iron and chip shots. I don't dislike this ball, but I dislike the feel for sure. I guess "firm" might be the right word.

It has a definite 'click' to it. I sort of hate that word since it's so cliche, but it's pretty fitting in this case.

It has a definite 'click' to it. I sort of hate that word since it's so cliche, but it's pretty fitting in this case.

agreed. When I went back and watched my 2/3 HOTD I really noticed it with the PW. Wow its very distinctive

Thanks hawk, I'm always thinking of strange ways to test things lol? I was really surprised to see how easy they were to track in the dark, it was quite fascinating, especially since I am addicted to golf and tend to stay out at the course/range till the sun goes down, I must admit last night I stayed so late the angry Marshall who locks up starts yelling at me because he wanted to lock up the course hahah, I felt bad, but all in the name of testing haha.

I can't wait to get to a full swing testing, but since I am know to lose a few balls I want to get all my short game stuff out of the way first haha. I'm still in limbo about these balls, I haven't seen anything that jumped out at me yet besides the easy tracking.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

man this is great testing so far. I LOVE the look of these bad boys. Sounds like they could be a winner with the fall cooler weather and not being able to see the ball. Does anyone think they would put these in play as a constant gamer with the limited testing so far?

TexasHacker, your video says its private! Can't view it.

man this is great testing so far. I LOVE the look of these bad boys. Sounds like they could be a winner with the fall cooler weather and not being able to see the ball. Does anyone think they would put these in play as a constant gamer with the limited testing so far?

Probably not, but I'd defintely put them in the bag occasionally. I did the same with them in the past though. They are fun to use from time to time.

JJ,

I wouldn't, yet.... and for two distinct reasons.

1. The price. It is tough to justify spending this much money for a 2-piece golf ball. You wont see the spin characteristics you would see with a ball in the price range this ball is offering, and that is an issue for me.

2. The feel. Off of the putter and wedges, It feels very 'firm.' It is something I will hopefully get used to, but I dont like it right now.

Probably not, but I'd defintely put them in the bag occasionally. I did the same with them in the past though. They are fun to use from time to time.

JJ,

I wouldn't, yet.... and for two distinct reasons.

1. The price. It is tough to justify spending this much money for a 2-piece golf ball. You wont see the spin characteristics you would see with a ball in the price range this ball is offering, and that is an issue for me.

2. The feel. Off of the putter and wedges, It feels very 'firm.' It is something I will hopefully get used to, but I dont like it right now.

That is what I was thinking based off INITIAL testing. Looks like it is a ball worth buying a dozen for just to have. Would be fun to game at company outings or whatnot with the sweet color and looks!

I'll tell you later today. If the course is empty (which I'm thinking it will be) I'll get some pretty cool numbers for you guys.

Great stuff guys, Satch, TexasHack, Chewie and JJ!

That is what I was thinking based off INITIAL testing. Looks like it is a ball worth buying a dozen for just to have. Would be fun to game at company outings or whatnot with the sweet color and looks!

I can tell you it is pretty darn easy to see! Shouldnt have any problems finding it.

I think that's completely understandable, DawgDaddy. What sort of price do you think would get you to buy them? Maybe not as your everyday gamer, but as a ball that you used occasionally?

I would think something in the $2.00 per ball or slightly less range, I have recently bought a box of Wilson Fifty's in optic yellow to give a try during the winter and really find these two balls to be very comparable. There is a huge price gap between these balls and the Wilson easily wins out as a "winter" ball for me in a head to head comparison based solely on price.

Back